Storys Of A Family | Teen Ink

Storys Of A Family

By geeky_prom_queen BRONZE, Beloit, Wisconsin
geeky_prom_queen BRONZE, Beloit, Wisconsin

"You only fail if you quit trying." by Unknown

I walked into that pure white room, the one I had walked into millions of times. Though the room was white, without a light it seemed pitch black except a little bit of light showing on a black door knob. I had never seen this door knob before. I carefully walked over to the door, grabbed the knob carefully and turned it. The door opened slowly, it was darker in there. I couldn't see anything but I still walked in, with my hand sliding gently across what seemed to be the wall. it seemed to be made of carpet, rough yet soft. It didn't seem right, but I felt around and let it guide me forward. Minutes later I felt a turn in the wall, I followed it not knowing where it would lead me.

Finally I felt a light switch, I flipped it but nothing happened. I stopped and stared into the darkness. “Where is this hallway leading me?” I asked myself. I would have to wait and see. My feet started forcing me forward and my hand soon showed me another turn. The carpet-like wall I was touching started to change. It didn't feel like carpet but more like hard rocks on a mountain. I kept going, the farther I went the softer the wall got. The rocks seemed to turn into soft sand. I walked a little slower and started to panic. Where am I going? Could I turn back? Was this place just for me?

I stopped panicking, and felt around again. My hand made me go farther into this tunnel of darkness. After a while the wall changed again, this time into a hard wood. I walked farther and felt another corner, a square corner. It was an ending, but nothing was here. I walked all this way to find nothing. What was I supposed to find? Gold? Silver? Love? Love, ha, why would anyone love me? Of course not, I'm not supposed to find anything here, am I? I sat on the floor in my crying position, my knees raised and my head down. Tears started to flow, I didn't fight them, I needed to cry. i looked up to wipe a tear away, something started to glow. My eyes concentrated on the glowing object, I got annoyed with it. It just lay there, glowing, while I sit here crying, while these voices talk to me.

I hear them, older and younger voices. Screaming, crying, and whispering voices. They never stop, always going, always in my ear. They tell me I'm no good, that I'm worthless. I cant get them to stop, they just keep talking, never ending. They'll yell at me and whine to me, and they'll scream like a baby but I'm the only one that hears them.

I crawled to the glowing object, when my hand touched it, I felt a tingly sensation. Picking up the object I felt a wooden handle about five inches long. Then I felt a sharp edge but with a dull straight side. I figured it must be a knife. I'm supposed to have this knife, that’s why I'm here.
An idea popped into my head, I knew what the knife was for. The voices stopped, I panicked. They had never stopped before, what does this mean? What’s going on? I sat there with the knife in my hands, my heart beating so fast I thought it would explode. My mind couldn't focus and I couldn't think about anything.

After an hour of racing heart beats and runaway thoughts, my mind focused. If I wanted the voices gone, I would have to be harmed. I took off my large sweater, and put it to the side, my arms were bare to the elbows. Taking the sharp side of the knife I dragged it across my forearm many times. Each time I dug in deeper, each cut getting more severe. I still felt no pain from the cuts, just determination to be rid of these voices. After many minutes of digging the knife into my arm, I stopped to look at the cuts. I noticed that they were put into a word, HATE. That was without trying to, without thinking.

I put the knife into my left hand and carved into my right forearm. Still no pain, only motivation. I dug deep into my arm, finally as I got close to my elbow, PAIN! It burned from within. Like a fire that wouldn't die. I was thinking this time and I did get pain. My right arm said, BROKEN SOUL. I could tell how deep I had gone each time. it started at only an inch but slowly grew to three inches. The pain it felt remarkable, so much better then the emotional pain I've been suffering.

I put the knife on the floor to my left. Slowly I crawled back into my crying position. My knees were up, my arms on top and my head resting on both. The tears started to flow again, this time I tried to reject them, but I lost that battle. My tears mixed with my blood and ran down my legs onto the floor. All alone in this darkness got me thinking, what was I put on earth for? Was it just to be alone, like I am now? I looked up and knew I was a mistake, I knew I wasn't supposed to be here, on earth. So, why am I?

If I'm not supposed to be here then someone should remove me. I should be deleted from everyone's memory, removed from existence. But no one's here and if no one's here how will I be removed? I'm alone in a dark room with a sharp knife. I don't want to remove myself, but that might make more sense. If someone else were to end me I would be on their mind, but if I were to end myself, no one would know. But how? How was I going to remove myself? I didn't have anger or motivation to die, only determination to be forgotten.

I started to whisper, “Katrina Katie, get a hold of yourself! You have nothing to live for. Your mama and papa don't love you! Your friends are fake ass bitches!” I grabbed the knife and stood up. “KK you need to stop worrying about others, they don't love you! You're nothing! You're just a know-nothing slut!” I got the knife ready to stab myself. “Nobody. Loves. You. They don't care what happens to you. Do it Katrina! DO IT! You know you want to!”

The knife flew into my chest without my help. My body started to slide down the wall, and fell into my crying position. I started to cry, the tears ran down my face and onto my chest. They mixed with my blood, making bloody tears. My bloody tears started sliding down the rest of my body as the hall started to brighten. Lights started to flicker on, and just before they came all the way on, these words escaped in a whisper, “I'm just a broken soul....” Everything fell quiet, the lights were on and I took my last breath.

It’s been two years since Katrina disappeared. No one knows what happened to my sister. She was a beautiful eighteen years old with long black hair. I remember everything about her, as if I had just seen her yesterday. Her eyes as I remember were a beautiful sparkling brown. If she wouldn't have been related to me, I would have dated her. Katrina was the perfect girl, the one any guy could have brought home and their mom would have approved in a flash.
Nobody has seen Katrina since July 23, 2001. It was a day after her eighteenth birthday, and I was the last to see her that day. She had slipped into the bathroom and that’s when I left. I hold myself responsible for whatever happened to her.

It’s been exactly two years, it’s July 23, 2003. No one has been near any of her stuff since the day before she vanished. For some reason there was this abrupt urge pulling me to her room. Since I had never been in her room I was extremely scared when I touched the door. I opened the door wide until the door hit the wall. Nothing, absolutely nothing was there. It was dark but you could tell that the room was pure white. The room had nothing on its walls, no furniture, and no sign that someone lived in here. It looked like a vacant apartment waiting to be sold.

A glimpse of light hit the wall, a door with a black door knob appeared. I strolled over to it. Since it was dark, I couldn't see, my hand searched the wall. “Found it,” I said grabbing the knob and opening the door. I looked into the space; it seemed to be a closet but whatever. The closet was darker then the room and I couldn't see anything. I reached for the wall but felt a carpet-like substance. It was soft yet rough, it felt so wrong, yet so very right. I let my hand guide me through the darkness past a turn, then farther until it was so dark not even a glimpse of light would survive in here.

I kept going, first slowly then I'd speed up. My hand guided me farther into the darkness, I thought about turning back but that thought was quickly erased. I felt a sense of Katrina, almost like she was there. My hand moved and I felt a light switch, I flipped it, no light. “What the f***?” I whispered. I walked faster and felt a turn, then followed it. The wall changed into something hard. It felt like rocks on a mountain side.

I went farther and the wall started to soften. The farther I walked the softer the wall got. After a while it felt like a sandy beach at dawn and dusk. I crept farther into this tunnel of darkness, feeling the sandy wall all around me. Farther I walked, the wall changed.

It became a hard wood, smooth with no bumps. I sat against it to take a break. My arms were resting to my sides. My right hand bumped into something. I looked up and focused my eyes and all my energy on whatever my hand bumped into. Something was coming into focus, it was white or pale. I could barely see it; most of the white was covered. A light feathery pink came into focus, it looked like hair. The more my eyes focused in the darkness the more I could tell what my hand had bumped into.

“Katrina...” I whispered. My hand had bumped into my sister. I got in front of her and lifted her head. Katrina's make up had run down her face and dried. I looked down and saw a glowing knife. It was in her chest, someone stabbed her. I touched the knife handle and saw her last moments.

I saw her standing against the wall, ready to stab her. Her words, I heard them, they stung me like a million bees. I repeated each word she had spoken. “You have nothing to live for. Your mama and papa don't love you.” none of that was true, mama did love her. She cried when Katrina disappeared. Katrina's next burst of words came into my mind. I repeated them like before, “Nobody. Loves. You. They don't care what happens to you.” Tears escaped my eyes, I knew she was wrong but I couldn't change what happened.

A last vision came to me; I saw the knife fly into her chest. She fell to the ground in her crying position. I saw her bleed to death, and I heard her last words, the ones no one else would hear. “I'm just a broken soul...” In my vision I saw the lights turn on as she took her last breath.
I let go of the knife handle and pulled Katrina into my arms. “Katrina....” I cried, “We did love you, we do love you, mama cried and papa left when you disappeared. Sitting there, holding Katrina in my arms was when I realized what this was. This hallway, this closet it was life and death. Katrina was a depressed person, nobody knew why. Now I know, I know more then I would have if she were still alive. She knew her room was life and death, the beginning and end. Katrina was depressed because she knew death, she was death itself.

As death, Katrina could have known when anyone were to die, that’s probably why she always had that 'I'm sorry' look when around people. From being in this closet I know that Katrina couldn't handle being death. That's why she killed herself, death had to die. She did it; death did die; now life would end whenever. No one would be safe.

I set her back to the way I found her. She looked as if she were crying again, none of this seemed right. I got up to walk farther through my life but I needed something. My eyes glanced, I needed the knife. I moved her body, her head was at my feet, and she looked so peaceful, so calm. Katrina lay there, I bent down and pulled the knife out of her chest. There she lay, with a hole in her chest; I knew my end was soon.

I held the knife in my left hand and walked down the hall, my right hand was gliding along the darkened path. Still, I felt the smooth wooden walls. Since I knew why I was here, my mind could be calm and it was. I kept walking, the hall got wider and wider, it seemed like I was walking into a room. The wall changed into what seemed like bricks.

I felt another turn, then a light switch, I flipped it. A light came on and a room lit up. The room was white with weapons all over. I saw knives, lots of them, and poisons, too many to name. I went to the cabinet and opened it with the knife I had. When I got the cabinet open, I grabbed the first poison I saw: scorpion and rattlesnake venom. “Mmmm nice...” I whispered as I dipped the knife into the venom. I mixed it, then pulled the knife out and looked at the gleaming sparkle.

The sparkle of the poison on the knife looked like sun shining on the ice. At that moment I knew I had to end everything, nothing else mattered. I grabbed the bottle of mixed venom and went to the nearest corner. My head rested on the wall, my body stood like a statue. This was the end; I needed to die, needed to be with Katrina.

I stood there with the knife and poison in my hands. The poison was dripping off the knife, “This is for you, Katrina.” Then I stabbed myself, the knife went through my heart. I felt poison go through my blood stream, in my arms, legs and major intestines. It burned all over, that’s all I could feel. I felt a fire burn me through the seams.

I could feel the poison search my body for every ounce of blood, poisoning every part of me. Life would end soon; I would be back with Katrina. My life would end here, and I would leave with a lesson. A lesson that Katrina would have wanted me to learn. The poison went through the last of my blood, this was the end. This was my last moment before death.

I felt a surge of the mixed venom flow to my heart. It was a fire from hell; I held back the screams of pain. “Katrina, I'm coming, your brother, Jake, is coming.” I felt the poison surround my heart, a scream escaped and I lost all ability to breathe. It was over; I wouldn't have to worry anymore.

My mother left when I was one and my uncle left when I was three. My mom had long black hair like I did before I dyed it hot pink, and I have her big beautiful brown eyes. My Nana said I look just like my mother; Papa won’t even look at me. Momma disappeared when I was one, that was fifteen years ago. Uncle Jake disappeared two years later. That was in 2003 now it is 2016. Nana says nobody is suppose to go in what was my mother’s room but today on July 23, 2016, I felt a sudden pull to her room.

I got to her door, grabbed the knob and opened it. It was completely pitch black. It was empty, except for a piece of paper in the middle of the floor. I knew that it wasn’t there before. The paper was glowing, like an angel. I went to the note and words started to appear on it. I read them aloud. “Anna, my dear Anna, I’m sorry I left you but it was for the better. Nana and Papa did an amazing job with you. I love you.”

The paper caught fire, I didn’t start it and I was the only one around. Minutes passed, the fire burned out. A door knob glowed on the other side of the room. I went to it, reached out my hand and grabbed it. The knob shocked me; a small jolt of electricity filled my body. I twisted the knob and it wouldn’t open.

“It’s locked.” I whispered. I took out my pocket knife and picked the lock. I opened the door. It was a closet of some sort. The lights were on, it shown through to the empty room.

I heard Nana’s voice, “Anna? Annabelle?” only seconds later I heard her start to panic. I stayed quiet. I heard her whisper to Papa, “If she got that door open she’ll be lost like her mother and uncle.” Papa called someone on his phone and left. Nana was scared but I still stayed quiet.

“What does she mean I’ll be lost?” I asked myself quietly. I asked so quiet only I could hear. I walked into the closet and shut the door behind me. I could hear it lock, but I wasn’t worried, I had my pocket knife to get out.

I followed the wall through its twists and turns. I saw the wall change from a carpet lie substance to hard rocks on a mountain side. Then I saw it turn into a soft sand, and then into a hard wood. I came to a girl; she looked just like me except she had black hair. “Momma.” I whispered. I started crying but I didn’t know how to help her. I walked away.

“I’m sorry.” I walked deeper into the closet. It got brighter after a while and the walls turned to brick. I walked into a large room full of weapons. I saw a guy standing in the far corner with a bloody knife in his chest and a bottle of poison in his hand. I went over to him, touched him, and his life flashed before my eyes. I saw everything from his baby years to him taking care of a baby girl that oddly enough looked like me. I saw him in this same closet talking about that girl. At that moment I realized he was Uncle Jake and that girl really was Momma.

Then I heard someone breathing, I looked at Uncle Jake and noticed the knife was and he was breathing! He fell to the floor, and then looked up at me. “Katrina?”

“No, I’m Annabelle.” I whispered.

“You’re sweet little Annabelle?” he asked. “I’m Uncle Jake.”

“I’ve seen, I know who you are and I know everything you’ve done in your life, including taking care of me.” I paused. “But I don’t really think you’re my uncle.”

“I guess it’s out of the bag, I’m not your uncle, I’m your father.” I started to walk away. My father grabbed my arm, “Anna, you healed me, do you think you can help your mother?”

“So that was Momma back there.” I whispered. I reassured myself that I’m not crazy. He nodded. I pulled away from him and went back through the hall searching for Momma. I came to her, I started crying. “Momma, I can help.” I touched her hand, and saw a flashback of her life. I saw things I should never see, I saw Momma killing people. But it wasn’t the same girl that was laying here; it was a girl that was covered in black. It was death. Momma was death…. I saw her go into the closet I saw her realize what she was and who she was. I saw Momma die.

I looked up at her, the hole in her chest was gone but she wasn’t breathing. I didn’t know what to do. My uncle or father or who ever he was, came up behind me. He put a small hole in my palm and did the same to her with a clean knife. “Put your palm to her palm.” I asked no questions, and did as he told me to. She started breathing.

She opened her eyes and looked up at Jake. “Honey? Am I really alive?”

“Yes, you are Katrina.” He smiled. “Look who helped you live again.”

She looked at me, “Our daughter?” Katrina was kind of dazed. Jake or my father and I were smiling, we were a family. It was something that we hadn’t had since I was a baby. Momma hugged me tight. “Baby girl, I’m so sorry I left you alone all these years.”

“It’s ok Momma.” I hugged her back. “Let’s go see Nana and Papa.”

Momma and my father gave me a weird look as they got up but we all went back through the closet back past the changing walls and to the locked door. I took out my pocket knife and picked the lock once again. I let Momma and my father go through the door first and then I walked through. Everything was fine; we were a normal family again.