Birds of a Feather: Stories Written by Teens Like You

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next »

The Ending by: rubyrose1

The rain pours down on my car as I speed down the winding road, growing closer to you. My stereo is turned on loud, trying to drown all my thoughts. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest and my hands growing sweaty. I tell myself to calm down; that everything is going to be okay. I look in my passenger seat and see the handwritten note I intend to give to you, explaining the reason I was giving up on us.

I can’t suppress my feelings anymore when the tears start streaming down my face. I pull over on the side of the road, take a few deep breaths, and tell myself this is for the best. As I sit on the side of the two-lane dirt road, I think back to the beginning and wonder, “How did it all come down to this?”

The first time you said hey to me in the hallway, I got butterflies in my stomach. On our first date when you kissed me, nothing else mattered. The first time you said I love you, I knew what we had was real. You made me weak at the knees and more in love than a sixteen-year old girl should ever be in. But, if all that had been true, then how was it so easy to walk away?

All senior year I dreaded the day I left for college. You were staying behind, not caring about an education. An underpaid job and living at home was all you wanted, but for me I wanted more. I wanted out of the small town and into a place with opportunities for my future, our future. I heard you complain, try to make me stay, make fun of the place I would call my home, why couldn’t you just be happy for me?

My tears have stopped falling; I’ve gathered my courage once again. I put the car in drive and pull back on to the dirt road. Only two more miles to go, and this will all over. The rain starts picking up, faster and faster. I can barely see the road; I can barely see the what’s coming towards me.

Out of nowhere, a truck comes flying down the road. All I can see are the two headlights coming straight for my tiny car. There’s nowhere for me to escape to, nothing that I can do. I hear the breaking of metal and screeching of tires, and then everything goes black.
Neither one of us got our happy ending that day, the letter I wrote got lost in the debris of the wreck never to be found again. You buried me never knowing our love had run out.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

MagicMan2011 said...
this looks great good job and thanks for taking it up

Philosophication This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
No problem Magicman. It really was your idea in the first place, so it should be me thanking you. :)