Birds of a Feather: Stories Written by Teens Like You

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next »

For Some Reason by: mmb77

Gillian and I used to be best friends. We still hung out sometimes, but that was just through mutual friends. There was always an awkward smile in the hallway whenever we saw each other. We had just gone our separate ways in High school. Every year our High school had a big important musical concert to raise money. It ended at 10:30, so almost everyone had left by 11:00. The concert hall was downtown, so I was planning on walking home.
“Hey Stacy, wait up.” Gillian rushed up next to me. The day had been thick and humid; now that it was dark the air was cool and foggy.
“Oh hey, um good job. I mean singing.”
“Yeah, you too.” She smiled, uncomfortably.
“So… you uh want to get a cup of coffee of something.” That was one thing about our town, there was a nice coffee shop on almost every corner downtown.
“Um sure, I guess,” She pauses for a moment “Actually, that sounds great.”
I shouldn’t have asked. Now I’m stuck with a painful half hour, at least, of talking about classes and the weather. We walked to the nearest dimly lit shop with a college student playing an acoustic guitar in the front. We both ordered coffee. Mine was extra strong, just to be able to pretend I’m interested.
“I’ve been wanting to talk to you for a while.” She said, and then strummed her finger against the mug casually.
For a moment I waited, there’s really not much I can say to that right? So, I didn’t really have to say anything. “Really?” I said, desperately trying to be interested.
“Um, yeah…” She paused, and looked down at her coffee.
“What?”
She giggled “I hate coffee.”
I laughed, loudly. I can’t stop.
She laughed along. Our duet of chuckles seemed to disturb the mellow atmosphere of the coffee shop. No one seemed to care; it was as if we were the only ones in the shop. We tried to talk about other things, but we couldn’t stop laughing. By the end we didn’t even remember why we were laughing, we just kept laughing because we were enjoying ourselves too much to stop.
Gillian finished her whole cup of coffee, for some reason. I didn’t take a sip of mine, for some reason.

I just can’t think of what it is.

MagicMan2011 said...
this looks great good job and thanks for taking it up

Philosophication This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm :
No problem Magicman. It really was your idea in the first place, so it should be me thanking you. :)