Of Happiness

Author's note: I wish people who read this short novel get a chance to think about what it means to be happy.
Author's note: I wish people who read this short novel get a chance to think about what it means to be happy.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

2.

One by one, cats entered the alley. The day was Friday, a fresh start to another week. We had a different grasp of time from that of humans.
“Hey chief, what’s the occasion?” asked Kay, a gray mixed-breed. When was he ever going to come to his senses? It was not as if this Friday was any more unusual than the ones that had come before. It was the same routine. He should have known what the occasion was without having to ask me. Well, this called for a thoroughly irritated remark by… ah, here she was.
“Are you stupid? Can’t you ever figure out anything without bothering the chief? Today’s Friday, stupid! The day the chief tells us new plans for raid, you know, or I mean, you don’t know, but you should,” said Lingo the scribe, quite mockingly.
“What? Stupid? Says the coward who can’t even kill a mouse! You are a mere scribe, Lingo, why don’t you go sit in a corner and shut your mouth? How dare you call me stupid!”
“I’m sorry Kay, but it’s not all about being brawny, it’s about the brainwork. But I see that unfortunately, you must not understand such things. You also don’t understand that because of morons like you, I do all the work and it is very, very tiring. You should be thanking me, you know! And yet you’re doing the exact opposite!”
There was a cough. Alarmed, the cats stopped their bickering. It was Kusha the viceroy, also known as the sea cat. He silently, slowly and somberly placed himself before the cats, preparing to talk. Suddenly, this solemnity was disturbed by Nero, who was just entering the alley. He was a clueless one, always scolded for his disruptive acts.
“Hi hi hi, so yeah, I did it again…”
The sky cats turned around in unison and shouted at poor Nero scathingly.
“Nero, stop disturbing everyone who’s on time! How dare you cackle like a simpleton and interrupt the viceroy! Will you not behave?”
“Yeah. If you’re new, start acting like you are.”
After putting Nero back in his place, the sky cats turned to the viceroy in silence. Kusha began to talk in his usual manner, with a slight air of self-importance.
“Ehem. As you all know, today is Friday, the day that marks the commencement of another week. Our leader, the sky chief, will announce the brand new plan for plunder for this week. Go ahead, chief.”
At that instant, all eyes were on me. I knew it’s all customary and I’d done this as many times as I could remember, but I couldn’t help feeling drastically uncomfortable in my own skin every time they looked at me like that. I was so sick of this, but there was no other way. Ehem.
“I, as a member of the sky alley and as your leader, announce the new plan. This Monday, we rob the fish market across the street. Finish all preparations beforehand, and for further information see the scribes Lingo and Lango,” and that’s how it was done, again. My nauseating speech was followed by an eager shout by all the cats, or more precisely, an overly enthusiastic meow that would have made any human cringe.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

Seyoung K. said...
this is definitely awesome! it makes me think so much about life