Claudia's Second Savior: A Play | Teen Ink

Claudia's Second Savior: A Play

August 29, 2011
By Drewby SILVER, Beecher, Illinois
More by this author
Drewby SILVER, Beecher, Illinois
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be or not to be, that is the question-" William Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III Scene I


Author's note: Bring hope to others.

(enter Francois, Nicolas, and Benito)

Francois: A good day to you, Nicolas and Benito. I wish I could say the same for me. My servants have been fired and my wife has gone her separate ways. I am all alone, with no one except my cat, Feral. Tis a tragedy, how someone who was at first happy and mischievous is now lonesome and depressed. It aches my heart to the very thought, but as you two should know, it is all my faults that have lead up to this tragedy. My wife, I have been unfaithful to. And my servants I have treated like vermin from the sewers. I wish to see them again and bid them an apology. I also want to make a new life with them. O, how I wish this were possible.

Benito: Possible it is.

Francois: How? My wife has taken her servants to Venice, with her new lover. I am not prepared to make such a journey.

Nicolas: She's bound to come back, within a matter of months. By then, you should get your chance to talk with her. I doubt the man she resides with is no more faithful than you were to her.

Benito: And if you don't have her, you'll still have us, your friends, to rely on.

Nicolas: You also have Feral to seek, in order to gain some company. Surly Feral needs someone to have a conversation with.

Francois: You are right, I do have Feral to talk with.

Nicolas: Excellent. Now beware, the guards have a look on us with suspicion. We need to evacuate before their suspicions are confirmed.

Benito: I see no guards.

Nicolas:...The hay.

Benito: What about the hay?

Nicolas: The guards reside in the hay.
(draws sword)
They're watching us like how a mother hawk watches her pray. I see it within the deformity of the batch. In that batch, I see something that reflects light, such as the guards' armor. They've seen me, when I pick-pocketed from the jesters. Have they seen you, Benito?

Benito: Not that I could recall. I have been careful with the pick-pocketing.

Nicolas: But, the guards have a sharp eye on those who act with suspicion. They use stealth to see what's really happening around their shoulders. I beg you, Francois, to leave. You will be under the suspicion of the guards, if they see you talking to me or Benito.

Francois: I shall go. I pray for you, Benito and Nicolas.

(Exit Francois.)

Nicolas: I beg you Benito to draw your weapon. We are going to be in a fight of epic proportions.

Benito: We would have no fighting chance! We should exit calmly now and remain undetected until we become anonymous.

Nicolas: O Benito, you have much to learn. Tis no amusement if we were to retreat like cowards. Now draw thy sword!

Benito: We'll be outnumbered.

Nicolas: I said draw thy sword!

(Benito draws sword.)

Benito: We'll be dead men, it's ten to one.

Nicolas: Not exactly, you see those two men by the market? I have been allies with those men for many years. They are excellent fighters and they know how to swish their swords against the air and cut through flesh. Those two have never lost a battle.b I call thee, Anthony and Fernando.

(Enter Anthony and Fernando.)

Anthony: I suggest from the surroundings that we're in for a fight. I have been looking for a challenge, now I finally get one.

(Anthony and Fernando draw their swords.)

Benito: I'm still having concerns.

Nicolas: Just fight. Here comes some of the guards right now. On my cue, we fight the guards with all our might.

(Enter Guard 1, Guard 2, and Guard 3)

Nicolas: Is something the matter?

Guard 3: Your face bares a resemblance. You look like the man who pick-pockets from the king's entertainers.

Nicolas: Do you think I am the man?

Guard 3: Your face bares the resemblance. Put your weapon away.

Nicolas: I think not.

Guard 2: Do not deny the order! Put thy weapon away!

Nicolas: You say resemble the man who pick-pockets from the king's entertainers?

Guard 3: If thou continues to deny the order of putting your weapon away, we will take thee to the gallows!

Nicolas: I be the man!

(Nicolas stabs Guard 3 who falls and dies.)

Guard 1: Villain! Thou shall pay for the crime!
(draws sword)
Reinforcements! I command thee to come!

(Enter two other soldiers armed with swords.)

Fernando: Come at us with full force if thou durst.

Guard 1: We durst!

(They fight, two guards get stabbed by Anthony and Fernando and the guards fall.)

Anthony: Your strike is swift, Fernando.

Fernando: Your strike is powerful, Anthony.

(The fight continues, two more guards enter the scene. Benito stabs one of the guards and the guard falls)

Benito: Madness! This is too much to bare!

Fernando: The fun's only getting started. Here come more soldiers! O the excitement!

(Enter two more soldiers. The fight continues, and Fernando stabs another guard who falls.)

Benito: Tis too much to handle! I have make a retreat. I fear for my life!

(exit Benito)

Nicolas: Coward! He shall surly taste the end of my blade once we're through with these guards. I swear I will spill his blood onto the floor, removing the coward's heart.

(The fight continues. Nicolas gets stabbed by Guard 1 and falls.)

Nicolas: I am hit! O fate, how does thou conspire against me? I have not yet killed my best friend who chose to be a coward and commence the retreat. O now I have nothing to breathe for!

(Nicolas dies.)

Anthony: Nicolas!

Fernando: Dear Lord!

Anthony: I will avenge thy death with the one who sentenced you to your grave.

(Anthony stabs Guard 1 who falls and dies.)

Anthony: Ha brute! Revenge is bitter sweet! Nicolas is at peace with your blood!

(All guards stab Anthony who falls and dies)

Fernando: Ah no more!
(drops weapon)
I surrender to you. For now I have no one to fight on my side.
(gets down on knees)
I give my hands to you noble guards, take me to my punishment.

(Exeunt.)

(Enter Francois and his cat, Feral.)

Francois: Feral, talking to you is not the same as talking to a human. I beg human company, I see no fill in the void. O how my heart sings for my wife, Felicia. O how I regret ever being unfaithful to her. O how I regret ever being so cruel to my servants. Mercy me! I have done so many wrong things. I should just put the cold blade of a dagger straight through my heart. But now, I do pray for Benito and Nicolas, for their battle going well. I do know Nicolas for he is strong and cunning, but Benito is afraid of his own reflection. I pray for them both. But mostly I pray for Benito, for he has not the courage to stand in a fierce battle, surrounded by guards so many.

Feral (in Francois's mind): My good master, I assure you Benito and Nicolas are doing just fine with the battle with the guards of Rome.

Francois: Reassurance doesn't banish the fear.

Feral: Dear Master, reassurance isn't suppose to banish the fear. It sort of veils the fear. But the fear will never be banished until the fear is confirmed (in which it will remain) or it will go away once we know of pleasant truth.

Francois: My, my Feral for a feline you sure do speak words of wisdom.

Feral: Thank you, Master.

Francois: I only noticed when you started to speak when my life was spiraling down the stairwell. You produced words when Felicia left me and my servants went into a permanent retirement. I have to ask you, Feral, why dost thou speak now? Why didn't you speak before Felicia and her servants left me?

Feral: I need to tell you a secret, Master....My voice is just a mere echo in your head. I only produce words to you. Cats don't talk. You think I talk, when I actually don't speak a word. I bid you a good night, Master.

(Exit Feral.)

Francois: I am confused. Feral couldn't talk the entire time Felicia departed from me? Am I insane? What else is just a frigment of my imagination? Is the horse that spreads God's will is just my head as well? What about the geese that enlighten me with dance? My sanity is no more.

(Knocking at the door.)

Francois: Who's at my door?

Voice: An escapee from the clutches of justice. Open up Francois!

(Francois opens door. Enter Benito who shuts and locks the door.)

Francois: Benito! What brings you here? Did something go wrong with the battle? Where is Nicolas?

Benito:...Dead, with the others.

Francois: Dead? Mercy me, my worst fear has become a reality! What happened at the battle? I beg you, Benito, tell me the details!

Benito: I couldn't help poor Nicolas and his two companions. The guards swarmed around like wasps to their nest. I saw swords and clubs! The madness was too overbearing! I had to! I ran, Francois, I ran and left Nicolas and his two companions at the fight!

Francois:...Coward Benito, you put the lives of the ones you loved in danger. For shame, Benito, for shame!

Benito:.......I deserve ridicule. I am an evil man.

Francois: I see no evil, only a coward's heart.....Did you see Nicolas die?

Benito: I saw not.

Francois: My God, there's still a chance he's alive!

Benito: He could never have survived the guards. He was a dead man the moment I decided to run away. O forgive me, Nicolas! I have left you in the hands of death, and I am sure to receive punishment for my mistake!

(Exeunt.)

(A group of people stand in front of the gallows to witness a hanging. Enter Captian Alexander with his guards, walking with Fernando who has his hands tied up.)

Fernando: I fear not death.

Alexander: You should.

Fernando:...Don't I get a priest?

Alexander: Yes, here he comes.

(Enter Priest.)

Fernando: O father, I have sinned against God and now I must pay the price of death. I wish to seek forgiveness from Him before I meet Him in His kingdom o so high in the heavens. I beg you to forgive me.
(Gets down on knees)
I fear not death, but I do fear Hell. I would like God to forgive me.

Priest: What would you like to confess to God?

Fernando: I have lied, I have stolen, I have killed, I took his name in vain, I have not attended church, I have questioned his existence and I am very sorry for my sins.

Priest: Is that all you have to confess?

Fernando: Yes.

Priest: Very well.
(Puts right hand on Fernando's head.)
I clean you of your sins in the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost. Amen.

Fernando: Amen.

(Exeunt.)

(Enter Francois and Benito.)

Benito: Surly the authorities are after me.

Francois: I will be the one to hide you here. You may be a coward, but you are my friend and I love thee.

Benito: Thank you, Francois! Thank you!

(Bangs on the door.)

Voice: Open up! This is the authority!

Francois(to Benito in a whisper): Go out back. I will hold them off with talk and distractions.

Benito: I thank thee, Francois!

(exit Benito)

Voice: I command thee to open up!

Francois: Here I come.

(Francois opens the door. Enter Alexander with two guards.)

Francois: Is there a problem?

Alexander: Yes, early today there was a massacre in the streets of Rome. There were four perpetrators; two of them were killed fighting the guards and one was put to death. There is still one at large. Have you seen him? He's a tall man with bright hair carrying a sword and a dagger.

Francois: I saw no man.

Alexander: Oh, I beg to differ. Some of my men saw you talking with two of the perpetrators only minutes before the fight. One of the two was the man who got away. Now, you can lie to me and die...or tell me the truth and live.

Francois: You must've mistaken me for another man.

Alexander: I make no mistakes. I know you know where the other perpetrator is and you will tell me.

Francois: I know not what you're talking about. Like I said, you must've mistaken me for another man!

Alexander: You know it is against the law to lie to the authorities! You could face the noose for your false judgment!

Francois: I'm not lying! I swear! I saw no man!

Alexander: Sir, this is your last chance.
(draws sword)
You either tell me the truth or I kill you where you stand!

Francois: I be not the man! You mistake me for someone else! You call yourself a captain? You are more of an imbecile than a captain!

(Alexander stabs Francois. Francois falls.)

Alexander: Search the house for the villain!

Guard 1: What do we do with the fool?

Alexander: Leave him for the wolves. I sense from their howling that they have come to dinner and are hungry for warm flesh.

(Exeunt.)

(Enter Benito on his knees)

Benito:...I have no priest on my side. My life is doomed, for the betrayal of my friends. Why hath I witnessed the death of the one who was going to take care of me, when I needed it. Hell calls, ringing its banging chains and the Grim Reaper with his scythe sho sharp and his blow so brutal. My suffering in the flames of eternal dispair will be the punishment for the betrayal.
(Pulls out dagger.)
O Nicolas! O Anthony! O Fernando! O Francois! I command you to hear me as thy blood will be avenged. O Good Lord, forgive me of my foul deeds. Please forgive me, for the foul deed I will commit. I be here on my knees, begging for your forgiveness. Now I deliver myself to you!

(Benito stabs himself, falls, and dies. Enter Alexander with two guards.)

Guard 1: The deeds drove him to demise from his own hands.

Alexander: The perpetrator is truly a coward. He does not want to accpet the upcoming punishment, so he takes his own life. But yet, the blood of his men shall be avenged with the blood of his heart. He is truly a coward, but he is also honorable..... Make haste, we have elsewhere to be.

Guard 2: Sir, what of the perpetrator?

Alexander: He, such as the fool who protected him, will be food to the wolves. Now let us be on our way.

(Exeunt.)



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.