Cardinair

Author's note: I wrote this a while ago. It's not completely revised and the spelling and grammar may be...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this a while ago. It's not completely revised and the spelling and grammar may be horrible. But I'd really like for people who are intrested to read it and to help me out. IT IS ONLY A PEICE OF THE ACTUAL NOVEL, IF YOU'D LIKE TO READ MORE LeT mE NoW:)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next »

Chapter One

I used to spend most of my time hanging around with my buddies, going to wicked parties with fine girls, and if I was lucky, get to spend a little time with them at their place. In between that I was searching for a good paying job, helping out my folks around their house, and anything else you might consider useful. But, I don’t do any of that anymore. Now I just stay at home. I could be changing the bulbs in my cramped, little bathroom, washing the piles and piles of my unclean clothes and pray
“In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities.” -Janos Arnay
I won’t discolor all of my socks again, or even straighten up a bit around the apartment in case anyone unexpected drops by. But I don’t even do that. I stay in bed and I sleep. Not for obvious reasons. Half of the time I’m not even tired when I doze off. Mostly, I force sleep. Because with sleep comes dreams. And in my dreams, I see her.
“Okay, explain this dream to me one more time.” My cousin, Will, says with a hint of amusement in his voice. We are sitting in the kitchen to my small apartment, at the round table my mother generously purchased for me when I moved out. Will is a big guy. He was the star line backer all through out school and a head taller than your average male. Though we’re closely related, we look nothing alike. He has short black hair that’s usually spiked up with some stinky expensive gel and green eyes; while I have muddy brown hair and brown eyes. He’s tall and bulk; I’m tall and lean. “But explain it with more detail.” Will added as an afterthought. I sigh, wishing I were asleep. But even though I’m not, the images still play fresh in my mind. I can still see it all very clearly, like a movie. I enter a sleep-like trance of my own and soon I’m in the dream once again.
“I’m standing on top of the clock tower.” I can barely feel my lips moving with the words. My voice sounds drained and lifeless. It sounds as if it doesn’t belong to me but, to someone else in the far distance. I continue, “I look down at all the cars that zoom by and the street lamps flickering on and off as I often do. But, quickly the scene changes and I’m standing someplace very different. It’s a place that you could only imagine from a fairytale, if not better than any. Everything in sight is stunning to an extremely high level that wouldn't exist in Chicago. That wouldn't exist anywhere. I'm in another world entirely. I smile; soaking in the scenery that I never knew could be so...Breathtaking. It's dark but, the moon spares enough light that I can still see the dancing trees and brightly colored flowers. I have to look down to see undefined greenery because I'm on this tall tower. The tallest I’ve ever seen, even in magazines or movies. And there with me, on this tower, is a girl. She's standing beside me and instantly I’m captivated by her. She's the most beautiful thing my eyes have ever seen. Not just hot. Not just pretty. But she is beautiful. I never use the word towards a woman. Suddenly I want to know everything about her, forgetting about the other world I’m in. I want to speak to her, to hear her voice. I want to know what her favorite color is so I can buy her everything that exists in that color. I want to touch her, to trace the lines of her palm and to caress her face in my hands. I want to tell her that I adore her. I want to tell her everything. My heart and stomach react strangely when I try to speak, so I keep silent. The girl turns away, walking further away from me. A pang of sadness hits me and I step towards her, beckoning her to come back. She turns around slowly and she smiles a brilliant smile in my direction. Then, the world around me collapses and suddenly I’m standing on the clock tower once again."
I blink back to reality, exiting the reverie, and instantly feeling a great loss of something unrecognizable deep within. Will stares at me with his mouth slightly open and his black eyebrows pinched together. I don’t hurry him for a response, scared of what it could be. And then he begins to laugh. He throws his head back and slaps his knee. I wait silently as he calms down. There’s still a lopsided grin on his face when he says, “I’m sorry, man. That was just a little more detail than I bargained for.” He chuckles for a few seconds longer while I watch him skeptically. “So you’re saying that this other world in your dream happens to exist in real life?”
“Yes.” I say, studying his expression carefully. I could see he was having trouble keeping a straight face.
“How many times have you said you had this dream?” He asked.
I don’t have to think long, I know when it was the first time I saw her. “I’ve had the same dream almost every night for two months.”
Will’s eyes widened as he did the math quickly and silently in his head. “You’ve had this dream roughly around fifty six nights in a row.” He said breathlessly, it wasn’t a question.
“Yes.” I answered anyway.
“What are you taking, man?” All trace of amusement now vanished from his features. I’m taken aback. I hold up my hands, palms forward in defense.
“Nothing, I swear.”
He narrows his stubborn eyes at me but nods. “Good.” I relax in my seat, dropping my hands to my sides.
I shrug, “I’ve taken a few sleeping pills to help me sleep but, not enough to do any damage or anything.”
Will shakes his head at me. “Just because you have a repetitive dream, Larson, does not mean it will become real.” He wasn’t going to back down on this.
“It feels real.” I urge.
“It’s not.” He looked at me like I was stupid, the way he looked at his girlfriend when she asked if Eskimos were people. “It’s impossible.” He spat.
I hold up my hand, stopping him from speaking any further. “The world is full of dimensions. Thousands, millions, billions of dimensions are out there that we can’t see or much less know of their existence. If there are unknown dimensions, couldn’t there be unknown worlds inside of those dimensions?” I stop; Will’s face is now blank. I take a deep breathe and say, “Think about it.”
We sat in silence for a while, only staring at each other, arguing wordlessly and harmlessly. Finally, Will smiles and says, “Whatever you say, dude.”
I sigh impatiently. “I know it sounds crazy but, I honestly do believe that there's another world out there. I believe that she is there and I believe I can get to her through the clock tower. It's like a...a gut feeling, I guess."
"You’re going to base your knowledge against a gut feeling?' Will asked.
"Yes." His look was unconvinced. I sigh, "You don't have to believe me, okay? I'll prove it. I'll prove it to myself and then, I’ll prove it to you. I'll show you and then you'll believe me."
Will laughs but says, "Alright, man. I'll believe it when I see it." We shook on it. "But, until then, your one hundred percent psychotic."
I could tell that a part of what he said was a joke but, a part of it he meant. I didn't know what to believe. Maybe I really was crazy. I shrugged off the thought, scared that it might actually be true.
"And what's with the gooey stuff anyway? The chick was beautiful?" Will chuckled. I fought off the urge to pop him in the mouth. Will is ten times my weight, so he would have took me out. Instead, I shrugged. "Well then," He continues, standing up and heading for the door, I followed him. "I have a date with my beautiful-" He mocked me with the word. "-girlfriend Leslie."
"Don't keep her waiting." I said shoving him out of the door.

I'm standing on the clock tower, looking down at the cars and flickering street lamps; just like in my continuous dreams. But, this isn’t a dream, it is real life. I come here often when I'm bored and have nothing else to do or if I need a quite place to think. But, tonight I came for a totally different reason. I came in hopes of proving my insane theory to Will and especially finding the girl. I lie down on the concrete roof top and stare up at the moon and stars without really seeing them and I think about her. I picture her behind my eyelids and she stares back at me. She has long blonde hair that travels down her thin but lean body. Her skin is dark, kissed graciously by the sun on many accounts. Her eyes are a unique color I never knew existed. They’re a lighter shade of lavender, almost. She has long eye lashes that nearly look fake, and small, arched eyebrows. They’re set perfectly in place with the rest of her unnaturally precise features. I find myself hot and flushed by just imagining her. "Where are you?" I whisper. The girl in my mind just smiles.