The Aatma (Soul, Spirit)

Author's note: We were learning about India a couple years ago in Social Studies and it absolutely fascinated...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: We were learning about India a couple years ago in Social Studies and it absolutely fascinated me! So I sat down and began to come up with the story of Aabha and her life. This piece is a couple years old, but I'd love to hear what you think!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Chapter 1

India. The land of dreams. For years, it has captured the imagination of many, with its tales of romance, and its steam engines running smoothly across the tracks.

The year is 1929. Aabha and her parents, the Maharajas, sat in the dining car of Nundini, making their way from Mumbai back to their palace. A waiter by the name of Abhinay, whose zany manner deeply annoyed Aabha, paused at their dinner table, and with a twisted smile, offered more food. Through gritted teeth, Aabha forced a smile, and after declining as politely as she could manage, she abruptly looked away. Why does he bother? Aabha thought, He very well knows that I am sick of him running over to me every minute with some dainty little platter! Tired of the endless fuss and chatter, the royal dress, and the fancy atmosphere, she muttered,
“Be right back.” and escaped out of the car. Finally—away from those nasty, royalty-obsessed parents of mine. If only it could last… Her heart racing, and her feet pounding against the train floor, Aabha finally reached the end car. She slammed her body against the cold, metal door, panting from the speed she was moving at. She pressed her face against the glass window, and watched the tracks go rushing away. Clackety-clack, clackety-clack! Hurry, hurry, hurry! They seemed to say.
Aabha’s heart beat increased. She bravely opened the door and a cool breeze whirled around her. Shhh! Quiet—listen, listen. A shout broke the silence, and Aabha jumped. Spinning around, she saw no one, so she quietly crept to the other side of the train car. Aabha stood silent, against the wall, and she stiffened as the alerted voices continued—shouting loudly.
“Darius, hit the breaks!”
“Whoa, I can’t! She’s moving too fast!”
“Stop the train! Stop the train!” Soon the shouts of frightened passengers also filled Aabha’s ears. Clackety-clack clackety-clack! Hurry, hurry, hurry! Suddenly rocks started to tumble and crack from the tunnel they were about to enter.
“Stop the train!” and that was all. There was a tremendous crash. Terrified, Aabha fled out the open train door and into the night.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

This book has 9 comments. Post your own now!

JudithKirkikis said...
I started reading the begining of your book and then i noticed that you're from westfield! I only say that because I live in Cranford- I am not a stalker I promise haha But your book is really good keep writing(:

maryrippe said...
WOW! You are certainly a writer, to say the least. I applaud your ability to make what you have never experienced believable.  - Mary

LifeWrite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:31 am
Hey! :) Thanks so much for your comment--I really appreciate it! Are you mentoring for I/S this year? Hopefully we'll see more of each other then. 

Fizza_98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:12 am
but why did you named it aatma? it had to do nothing with aatma.

Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:57 am
I called it The Aatma because that is what the old woman called Aabha.

Fizza_98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
have u written this by your own or copied it from somewhere?

Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:13 am
I wrote it by myself--I would NEVER copy someone else's work!

Jul. 20, 2011 at 4:49 am
hey have you ever been to india?

Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:58 am
No, but I'd like to go some day!