Reflected | Teen Ink

Reflected

By DarkenedSparrow, Tempe, Arizona
DarkenedSparrow, Tempe, Arizona

"The Key To Your Passion Is To Never Give Up."

Author's note: This piece was actually an insipration of many things. Many people go through a lot, such as moving away and/or going closer to your school and feeling like you're trapped in a situation. This, personally, was my struggle. I hope that the topics in this novel will bring an understanding of culture and how we have to actually speak up when we have to. The second main character (no spoilers) is he who will inspire Nicholas to gain a voice.

My morning was an absolute nightmare. My bedroom was a maze filled with hundreds of large, dirty cardboard boxes; stacked with the merry and miserable memories of me and my family inside. I saw no photographs, no instruments…nothing.—just these brown boxes. The place was definitely not like this when I went to sleep last night. I jumped out of bed and raced through the mess, and all I could see were stacked cubes of beige, clear-tape and hand-printed stains. Downstairs was worse: I thought it had turned into a tall single-story building! Everything; including the pictures, the television sets and even the drawings that won me school and city-wide recognition were sealed away in whatever box it may spoil in. My parents were down there, smiling at some young random couple with matching clothes and hair while they were walking out of the living room door...with OUR set of house keys. Immediately, I descended the stairs in a hurry and questioned them with a raised, grave-ridden voice. (I should have been more respectful).

“What’s going on?”

My father glared at me. He clenched one fist, but released it. “Nicholas Lee, don’t speak that way in front of your mother. You know how she is.”

Mom was smiling, but I could tell she was heartrending on the inside. It's only because she was always the type to hide herself from her reflection in her own mirror. She can’t even see happiness in her own face—and neither can I. She turned and told me with that quiet, mousy voice of hers: “Son, we are moving closer to your school.”

My stomach cramped. No wonder all of my stuff was packed, but—all in one day? Was there a hurry to rush out of the house I was born in? I just switched my facing and sauntered back to the oak-carved railing of the stairs. There, I collapsed to my already weakened knees and sobbed. Anger raged in my veins. Why can’t they make anything better for me? And to tell me that with a smile is just colder than thirty-two degrees.

I felt a warm, tiny hand rest on my shoulder, and I turned around to face Timothy, who I just call Timmy. He’s my ten-year-old brother, and he’s a lot stronger than I am. “Nicky, why’re you crying?” he asked me. “We’re just going to a better place. I hate this house.”

“I was born in this house, Timmy.” I sniffed. Wiping my tears on my maroon sleeve, I told him, “Mom and Dad just…want us to see what change feels like, that’s all.” I lied to him as secretly as I could. What I meant to say was this. “Our parents love you and hate me. They want me to feel out of place…again.” That’s right. I’m a little envious of Timmy because he knows absolutely nothing about life, yet. It sucks.

So, I got back up and walked outside. There was a moving van that shined the golden words: “Pathway To Home Sweet Home Moving Company.” I watched as two burly men—twins—brought out the heavier boxes on carts and dollies. They were so large; each could carry twenty 100-pound boxes with the carts in tow. One of them eyed me. Then, the other did. I froze.

“Hello,” I greeted half-heartedly.

“Good mornin’,” both replied. Neither smiled. (This simultaneousness gave me a slight headache).

One of them had a very odd look on his face; like something tragic was really bothering him. That was because he saw my mom in the house. “Is your mother alright this morn? She keeps putting happy-face blankets over a grayed-out, broken mattress.”

“She’s fine. Mom’s just…well…”

“A depressant? At least, that’s what I hear. She look like a mourner in white.” This was coming from the second twin. I did not try to defend her. Most everyone sees her that way. I see it too. Timmy and Dad don’t see her wan attitude at all.

Ugh. Speaking of Dad, he walked out in a suit and tie in wide stride, carrying that stupid black briefcase with him. He was going to work at seven in the morning. “Nicholas? Why are you speaking to them when they have to work?”

“I was just trying to be people-friendly. Besides, I want to be an artist, so I have to communicate.”

There goes my smart talk. He popped me in the mouth. “None of that!” he growled. “Get in the van. I’m taking you to the new house so you can wait for everyone to come with our stuff. C’mon!”

I did as ordered, though the twin-movers shook their heads—simultaneously—at me.

I sat in the back of vehicle and snapped in my seat belt. Dad decided to give me a small monologue about what I supposedly did wrong.

“Don’t speak to anyone who has a job to accomplish. They are hard working. They have their GED’s already, and you are still in high school. Being in school should be more important than your gloating about your hobby that you call art. I thought you were going to be a lawyer or policeman. Nicholas, artists get nowhere and nowhere fast. The growth prospect is only twelve percent, and even though you win some competitions, I don’t see you in that field. Anyone can be an artist, a musician or even a novelist, but they have no communication skills. So, I am asking you to drop it.”

All I did was shake my head in dismay.

Dad’s always hated my art. He’s pushing me so hard on being a lawyer or doctor or something that invoves killing, cutting, lying, cheating, stealing, littering and covering up other’s wrongs. Maybe I’d rather earn my creativity—most guys complain about drawing in class because they can’t do it. That’s one thing off my back. Also, I can help out others who need posters and get paid. Creativity is the number one quality employers work for and I‘m building it up. He can stay in his cubicle for all I care.

It took over an hour to reach a very fancy street; white houses with picket fencing everywhere. All of them looked exactly alike…except for one.

The only house that stood out to me was violet with a black roof. It was two stories with a steel fence from a past era. Maybe Victorian. It’s definitely not today’s house. My father pulled up in front of it and told me to get out of the van. I followed the old man’s order…but I ran through the open front door and dashed right upstairs, found a room, sped in and slammed the door shut to where it shook from its hinges. Then, I locked it, fell to my knees and balled up. I did not want to see my parents anymore. Not after what they sacrificed without my permission.

It was about ten minutes later when I looked back up again. In front of me was this tall mirror. Rectangular, yes, but something about it made me intrigued. I crawled up to it and placed my hand against its cold surface. It was the first time I could see myself since my mother took my old mirror and broke it with dad’s gavel.

Something about this mirror made me feel that someone was right there in front of me. I’ve no idea who he or she is. I looked at myself and asked myself who was there, but I received no answer. For some reason, my heart was pinched and throbbing. Maybe my cries were too much on my wiry body.

Suddenly, I heard something, and I eyed the mirror. I jumped.

Someone else was there facing my direction—not me.

This character looked nothing like normal. His or her hair was ridiculously long and it draped over him like a blanket. He…or she had really pale skin and deep violet eyes. The outfit was a black turtleneck and matching PJs, but something about it made me think of the word ‘Victorian’ again. Whoever this was made me refrain from saying anything that would start a romance or an epic battle among human versus ghost-demon. (The being was kind of cute).

I was asked, “What are you doing in my room?”

“Eh, your room?” I raised an eyebrow.

“My room.” The answerer bore a faintly dual voice, so I couldn’t tell what gender. Once I finally asked him, the truth came as unexpected. “I’m male. As you are.”

“You’re a guy? I think the hair messed with my head a little bit,” I rubbed at my own hair-covered scalp. “So, this is your room?”

“This is my room. I was born in this room. I stayed in this room. I died in this room. No one entered this room but me. So, I haunt this room to this very minute.” He slowly sat up straight. “…Who are you?”

“I’m—Nicholas Lee. Shouldn’t I be asking you that? Since you’re a ghost?”

“My name is Varu. Varu Sin Hallshire is my full name. I’m pretty sure it sounds very odd to you new-agers. It’s not 1850 anymore.”

“That’s 160 years ago.” I can’t believe I was this quick at my subtraction. “Computers and music players weren’t around.”

“I know. That’s why your generation’s becoming rounder by the minute. All your age does is sit and stare at a screen.” Varu, apparently, hated technology more than I did. He stated my reason for not liking it, but it’s not like I want to throw rocks at it. That was his attitude, and it smoldered greatly. “You don’t sit at computer screens all day, do you?”

I told him, “I do, but I’d rather read a book than blind my eyes.”

He smirked. Still, I didn’t take it as a smile. Maybe he missed something? His hand reached to my face, and he said, “Would you like to feast your eyes on a mirror all day?”

“Right now, yeah. I just…need to get myself together before my parents and my little brother get here. They’re bringing everything else in the house so we could live here for the rest of our lives. You see…they took me out of the place I was born in. My dad’s an abusive workaholic while my mom…well…is a depressant woman who tries to cover her sadness up and fails.”

Varu’s eyes widened. “Is that why your mouth is bleeding?”

I wiped it off. “He slapped it.”

“It must have stung worse than bee stings.” Varu looked down at his lap. “I was…hurt constantly by both of my parents. Even, I rarely saw them. It was legal, then.”

“Really?” My heart pounded and echoed its pain through my empathy towards what he told me. I felt worse than a mourner. “That—” I found myself more hushed than usual. “I can’t imagine rarely seeing them, and I see my parents every day.”

“No one who hasn’t been through it will not be able to feel loneliness. You’re the first person I’ve seen in a while who actually respects me after telling them that. I’ve spoken to an adult this way, but he jumped out of the window and escaped. Just because my story has no happiness…means that I could be a curse.”

I noticed something when he was speaking as if he was traumatized. His eyes barely blinked, but they were shifted to his feet. Either his communication skills were really poor, or his parents did not teach that skill to him. “My dad wanted me to be a great communicator, but once I surpassed him, he slapped me.”

“…Was it because of your art?”

I shivered. How the heck did he know about that? Did he hear me from afar or did he read my puny mind? That’s all I thought about, most of the time. Nodding, I told him about it. “My dad thinks I’ll never make it in the field, much less contribute to society. He’s begging for me to go to law and stop drawing.”

Varu closed his eyes. “You realize he’s putting you down. I know you must have achieved so much with that blessed talent of yours. Being the only one in your family who draws successfully and communicates through the image is a pain, but just know that there are others who will appreciate you…as I do. I draw and write as well.”

“You’re also an artist?”

“I am. So, if your father tries to start that speech again, just think about me.”

“Nicholas!”

It was my father. “Nicholas, where’d you run off to? Help us put everything away or you’ll get your rear swatted like swatting a pesky fly!”

I turned to Varu, who hugged his knees. He looked like a total girl, now. Saddened by the fact that I had to go downstairs. Both of us felt that way. So, I told him, “I’ll be right back.”

“Don’t leave too fast, now. I was just getting used to having someone to talk to after the long, over century-long silence of being trapped in glass.”

As I rested my hand on the pane, he did the same. It was strange, because…I could feel every part of his palm against mine. Then, all physics were broken…when his fingers interlocked with mine. I gasped. “…Are you a ghost or not?”

“I am, but my body is now corporeal. Meaning, you can feel my skin.”

“Does that mean you can come out of the mirror?”

“…I can try. I’ll attempt it while you’re away.” Varu sighed, and he asked me, “Can you…come closer?”

I did what he wanted, and he told me to be careful when it came to my father. I nodded, and we let our hands go. I got up and made my way to the door…and I turned around. He still eyed me, but with a smirk this time. Giving the same facial expression to him, I went downstairs.

Timmy seemed to know what I had been doing upstairs, and he taunted me for it. “I heard you upstairs, talking to yourself!” He pranced around, and getting agitated, I growled at him and denied his accusation.

“I was not talking to myself, Timmy!”

“Then who were you talking to? A ghost?”

“No. I was practicing my speech.”

“Then who was saying he was a ghost?”

I gulped. “I…was writing a story. The house looked haunted to me, so I started writing a first-person story about a ghost who was trapped in a 160-year-old mirror. What else could I do? I was waiting for you and mom and dad to get back from the other place.”

He smiled at me. That was all he did. I think he knew I was telling him a fourth truth. Yet, he told me, “I want to read it when you’re done. I don’t care if I’m young or not.”

There he goes. He has this attitude to where he thinks he’s pretty much more mature and classier than everyone else. Timmy started doing that after our parents got caught by the police…doing whatever they did. I heard from my friends at school that they robbed graves.

Speaking of friends, I heard my cell phone ringing in my hood pocket. So, I picked it up and answered it. “Hello?” I asked. This man-sounding voice already told me it was Lloyd Whittaker—my best friend.

“Dude, you’re my neighbor, now? I saw you run inside and up the stairs!”

“Lloyd, hush! I was mad, earlier.”

“Sorry; y’all lost your house?”

“No. Mom and dad sold it to some odd-looking twin couple.”

“That just sucks. Sorry, man. You okay?”

“Yeah. I feel like there’s a ghost in here, though.” I tried giving him a hint about Varu, but he was apparently not as smart as I thought. He answered me with a laugh and a “no way.” I gave another reply. “I shouldn’t be telling you this, but there’s this ghost in my mirror. He looks so much like a girl—reminds me of Nelda.”

“…You’re being soft. I thought you were in soccer!”

“I am, but…I’m just going through a lot of crap right now. My parents sold the house I was born in. Dad hit me in the mouth because I was talking about my art to the movers, and Timmy’s already onto what I saw. So, my head’s a little light from all of this crap.”

“…Sorry, man.” Lloyd finally stopped that excited rage of his. I was glad for it. He was about to give me a migraine. “So, you comin’ to school or what? Second hour misses you, pal. Adela’s even complaining at me instead of you.”

“…I’ll be there in a few minutes. I can walk up there.”

“Okay, man. Bye.”

I hung up the phone, shoved it in my pants pocket and rushed back upstairs to grab my school bag. Right when I went into my new room…I found Varu. He was out of the mirror—passed out on the floor! I instinctively knelt by him and checked for his pulse. There…strangely, was not one on his arm, but his chest was still rising and falling like a normal human being. Then, I lay my hand against his chest. No pulse. I went lower and when I reached his naval…I found it. His heart—if there was one…was racing hard. How’d he get out of the mirror? Second of all—why does he look normal, now…except for the faint glow?

His blue-violet eyes opened halfway, and he looked up at me. “It almost backfired,” he said rather faintly.

My heart trembled nervously as I replied, “I can tell. Do you need anything?”

“Your company. That’s about it.”

What is he? Obsessed? To be quite honest, I felt real icky at this point, but I did not want to get cursed. So, I told him that I had school, but I was willing to be a little bit late. Besides, I could see the school from the window, now. He just nodded. I then picked him up and took him over to the bed. Man, he was lighter than no gravity! As I laid him down, he thanked me.

“I never thought it’d be so painless. Being carried like that.”

“Painless?”

“I…told you I was murdered here, right?”

“Mhm.”
I swallowed.

He proceeded to tell me how he was killed: someone had sliced his back down the center and marked all over it when he was writing a page in his journal. Varu had no warning of who was after him, but he assumed it was someone in a tie and glasses who just hated boys with long hair. It was no big deal to him; the murderer should be in the dirt already. All I could do…was listen. He was weakened, still. I can tell by the way he was talking to me. It had been at least half an hour before I had to go to school. Lloyd was waiting for me. He waved goodbye as I turned to the door. “I’ll still be here. You’re the only one who can see me.”

I nodded, and I went down to ground floor.

That’s when I found mom sitting in that lonely black arm chair, staring right out the window. I asked her if she was okay, but she told me, and I think I expected this one. “I feel there’s a ghost in here, Nicholas. Do you feel the same way I do? It’s so…cold…and windy in here.”

“Uh…It’s just cold in the house, mom,” I replied quietly. “I’m about to head for school. I don’t feel like missing a day.”

“Good boy. Make sure you talk to your teacher about careers. Your father’s so upset about your will to go to the arts instead of law. Boys should never be in the arts…like they should never have very long hair. That states their feminine side. I dislike that. A lot.”

Mom, I plan to grow out my hair. I look like a girl anyway. I decided to say good bye and walk out the door to Reflect High School.

I love that school. Though it’s awkward having the mirror as our mascot, we seem to be the best in the whole district. Besides, we won championship after championship since the eighties. We were announced as the school of excellence last year, and we just got a tenth of a million dollar grant! The arts are well involved, too…and our disciplinary level is so low that security just sits in the lounge all day. It’s really good. I walked into the office with a smile, greeting the receptionist, and I received my late pass to third hour: Drawing and Painting - Human Anatomy. It’s like art and science at the same time. We draw people instead of landscapes.

As I went in, Lloyd sat at the desk next to mine. Apparently, he was saving my last artwork project. It had an A+ on it. He received a B. “Nick, you’re the only one with an A in this class!”

“Keep yelling, Lloyd.” I covered one of my ears. “I just finished helping my family move.”

“Oh. Sorry, man.”

“It’s okay. Did I tell you about a ghost in my mirror?”

“You said something about it. Tell me more. I’m nosy.”

That was when I brought up Varu. As I told him how I saw him in the reflection and spoke to him, I could see his face cringing frightfully. He believed me. I knew he believed me because he’s a paranormal addict. He patted my shoulder and said, “I think he likes you. Really, dude.”

“I think so, too. Before I could leave him, he’d give me this saddened-eye facial expression. It’s not that it’s annoying; it makes me rethink my decisions because I haven’t left anyone in the ground like that. Lloyd, I just…don’t know what to do right now.”

Lloyd nodded, and he asked, “You said he reminded you of Nelda, right? That one girl who was recently beaten to death by that stupid kid who went here? Was she related to you or something?”

I shook my head. I didn’t know, but my mom was more than distraught when she found out what happened to her. To be honest, I did not want to talk about her. Still, I missed seeing her on the city bus every day. She would always look at me with a smile and cover her face with her long black hair. Hmm…I feel like I’m talking about Varu. That’s strange.

Lloyd and I heard a real familiar complaint: “Miss, why’d you rip up my ghost drawing? I was going to enter it in my English Class book cover contest next hour!”

“We do not draw ghosts in class, hear me? You’ll rot in the underworld for believing in that garbage and worshipping them by drawing them on paper. And being of a strict religion, I can’t have that in my face or I am condemned for the rest of my life. Go draw something else: like a flower. You need one of those, missy.”

Adela ran to the table and smashed her wet face into the surface. Once I asked what happened back there, she spun around and grabbed me; her tears spilled on my shoulder. “The substitute ripped my drawing apart and I did it all on the computer! She thought I was messing up the energy and she did not want it in her face and now I’m going to fail in English because we had to enter it in a contest! Whoever wins gets publishing rights, money and they can help a writer prettify their story! My characters looked just like you and Nelda, but Nelda looks like a boy, this time! It’s a mirror thing!” As she wailed, I looked at Lloyd, and then I returned my attention to her. I offered to help.

“Can you redraw it?”

“Of course, I can. I just have to keep it away from Miss What’s-her-face!”

“Okay, because, if you win this, there’s a story I’m writing and I think it’ll match the cover.”

“You help me. I’ll help you.” Adela let go, allowing me to breathe. (Finally).

The substitute walked over and looked at me strangely. “…Do I know you?”

“No, you don’t,” I replied, getting a bit nervous. My hands were shaking. Not only was she unpleasant to look at, but I felt like using the restroom to relieve my stomach from its cramps and bubbles.

All she did was grin her golden-tooth smile, and she folded her arms across her chest like I was so familiar to her. “I think it’s because I saw your lawyer of a father, years ago. You see, I was getting sued, and he was my attorney. Unfortunately, I lost, because he decided to dismiss himself. He said one of his kids was becoming a bit unruly.”

“…Which one?”

“If I take it, he said his oldest. He was drawing on all of his files.”

“Well…I had that habit, so I guess you’re right.”

“I hope you don’t turn out like that loser of a man. You look like neither of your parents. Were you adopted?”

“No.”

“Hmm. Maybe you were destined for greatness!” She pranced off, leaving me feeling even more ill than the two minutes before…and the ten minutes after I got here. I was already messed up after the whole thing with Varu.

The school day went normal, and as I walked home alone, I was met by my little brother. He was in tears.

“I hate your room!” he shouted at me. Seeing him like this surprised me. I thought he was more confident and less frightful than that. The one thing that bothered me was the fact that he went into my room. So, I asked him this.

“Why’d you go in my room, Timmy?”

“Dad told me to find anything suspicious, and when I told him there wasn’t anything wrong, I heard someone screaming like he was getting sliced or stabbed or something!”

I groaned. It must have been Varu…being in pain for the rest of his life. As we went home, I actually heard the noise. Excruciating…something to make my stomach churn even more. I bolted inside, leaving my little brother and rushed upstairs. In the room, Varu had fallen off the bed. He could barely even move: he crawled to a child’s pose and slowly rolled to sitting position, but I knew by his immense cringing that his back was the knife that sliced him. I went over and knelt in front of him. “You okay?” I think it’s the third or fourth time I asked him that. I lost count.

He nodded, and he told me with a slight hiss in his voice, “My scar ripped.”

My teeth gnashed with an uncontrollable hiss. I prayed it wasn’t bleeding or anything like that and I asked him if I could take a look. He gave me the go-ahead, and turned around. Those slashes on his back were massive. The whip had to be at least two inches thick and six-feet long to create the scarlet marks and tear his skin apart. At least the scars weren’t infected. That made me feel a tiny bit better.

When I felt the scarring, he spun around. The skirt of his Victorian night gown twirled and spread like a blooming rose. Finally, he gave an order. “Don’t place pressure,” he narrowed his already narrowed eyes. “It still hurts.” He was serious. I gulped as a result. That was the first time he snapped at me, but he spoke without yelling as much as my dad. I apologized immediately.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault. The one who killed me in my sleep’s living with it in his grave.” Varu sighed, and he stood up straight…slowly. “Why would anything be your fault?”

“…Huh?” I raised an eyebrow, not knowing what he meant by the question. “What do you mean?”

“You give me respect. You help me every single time. Everything you do is a positive. Everyone wants someone like that in their lives. Sadly, you came at a time when I was…lamenting about my ghostly appearance. However, I now have a corporeal body.” He moved closer to me. Though I took a nervous step backward, his feminine face still neared. He finally smiled at me. “I like you.”

My stomach dropped.

I had no idea how to reply. Should I say, “I like you too” or “I don’t like you like that?” Whatever the case, if I said anything, it wasn’t going to come out right either way. He smised, and then scratched at my neck with his nail. God, that was sharp! It left a cut, and not just any normal tear of the skin…that ghostly thing drew an eye! That’ll leave more than a scar on me.

Still speechless, I covered my shock by smiling at him. That move was first-thought and not my true intention. He took it as positive feedback. “I think I might have made you shy, this time,” he said to me. “I’ll let it sink in for a little bit.” That was when he nipped the side of my neck. I jerked, but remained frozen still as that mirror he traveled through. Varu whipped around and made his way to the pane.

I asked him, “Where are you going?”

“I'm stepping back into the mirror. You don’t want me to go?”

“I’m just wondering why—why you want to go back when you actually succeeded in getting out of there. Besides, isn’t it uncomfortable in there?” There I go; messing myself up again. He nodded, and came back, saying I was right.

“It was hectic trying to get out of that mirror. Maybe when I feel I need to, I could go back.” He stepped toward the bed and laid on it. When I was about to get ready for my own resting time, I just had to look at him. Varu stared right at me as if he wanted something. What else did he want besides me?

Finally, I heard Timmy. He knocked on the door. “Nicky, dinner’s ready! What are you doing?”

“I’m getting dressed for bed. I’m not that hungry.”

“Dad said you need to come down to dinner or else he’ll feed you with an IV from mom’s work. You remember that threat. Besides, you’re less than one hundred pounds. I’m almost there!”

“No, Timmy. I’m less than you. We both know that.” This was something I didn’t want to elaborate on the subject any further, but he pressed at the issue, which he was worried about.

“You checked your weight?”

“I'm eighty-something. I’m not hungry.”

“Yes you are! It’s pizza day!”

“I’m still not eating.”

“Fine. Dad will come up here.”

His quick footsteps dimmed out. I growled and sat at the edge of the bed. Varu heard everything, and asked about the sore subject. “…They believe you’re forcing yourself to starvation?”

“Yeah,” I said flatly. “I used to be real chunky, so I just stopped eating so much. After I reached a healthy weight, the stress made me even slimmer. Though I’m tall, I’m still lanky.”

“…I’m less than you.”

I turned my head. “Y-You are?”

“Seventy five. I was never fed by my parents. I had to feed myself in order to live.” He turned on his back. “Everyone at my school knew about it, and felt really sorry.”

“Eh, I don’t find that, now. They think I’m doing it as a strike against my parents. I’m not.”

“May I know your reason?”

I looked down at my lap, and knowing he was the only one I could trust, I gave him a small summary for a really hard reason. “About five years ago, my own parents were calling me many variations of the word Obese, and they told me to stop eating so much junk. Once I got slimmer and healthy, and after I got into soccer in order to keep it up, they still did not like how I looked. You see, I was growing my hair out and I started dressing as a non-preppy boy; not in fancy attire or in regular school clothes. More of chains and beanies like what I wear now. My parents decided to run away together to see if I would change. They…called my former principal on me, and he came to the house along with dad and mom. It’s crazy, but they took turns trying to shove greased food down my throat. That’s why I refuse to eat. I only eat when my stomach cramps for it.” My head hurt after telling him about that, and I lay down on my side.

Varu rolled on his side to see me. “That’s—out of line,” he told me quietly. “Now, I see why I never see you with food. It’s been a while since I had any. Maybe when everyone else sleeps, we could go and have our share.”

“…That sounds like a good idea.” I drew in a deep breath. “You know how you told me you liked me a few minutes ago? Was it as a friend or more?”

His smile did all the talking for me.

I continued. “I kind of thought about it. It’s not that girls don’t like me. Girls are too smart-mouthed. All they do is gripe and complain like they’re a forty-five-minute-long song that doesn’t even sound good. Though I never had feelings for a guy, I should experiment just once. Maybe it can tell me something about myself.”

Varu raised both eyebrows. If I was a mind reader, I could have said he thought I was giving him a chance. His straight-toothed grin did more than ease me, though. At least, he wasn’t in so much pain like earlier. I’m sorry, but I don’t like seeing other people in pain. It makes me mad. He crawled over to me and rested his head against my shoulder. “Do you think you’ll find something out if you do that?”

“It’s more than possible. I’m always trying to figure things out about myself that other people won’t or don’t understand. For example, the drawing. I might have been recognized for it, but it tears families apart. I mean—no one wants me to do it. All they want me to be is a self-loving lawyer.”

“Lawyers are hated.”

“I know, right. I’m afraid he’ll get jumped.”

We met eyes, and for that moment, my mind was a mere blur and I was only focused on the ghost beside me. He didn’t look like a freakish supernatural being anymore. More so, he was a friend with an evident, obvious crush on me. Either way, I was starting to feel less weird and more used to seeing him, though we just got to know one another. I rested my head on the pillow. “…You know, you can stay here if you want to,” I told him. “I’m not going to shackle you to the bed post.”

“I’m staying. Maybe I could scare away your parents.”

I laughed aloud. “That’d be good. Besides, I don’t want them in my room. Err…isn’t this your room?”

“You can say it’s yours. I don’t mind.” Varu shifted to rest on his back. “It’s a shame this is the only time my back doesn’t kill me. When I stand or sit, it just burns, but when I’m right here, it’s a different ordeal.”

“…That wound was massive, Varu.” I was still overwhelmed by the slashes. Abuse is abuse…especially with a whip. Maybe it was common in the older days, I’ll never know as much as Varu. “Are you sure you don’t want to bandage it or anything?”

Varu shook his head. “There’s no point in covering wounds that will always be there, Nicholas. Shielding it means cowardice to me.”

“So…hiding is a form of being shy and shielding?”

“Yes.”

I learned something from that statement. Maybe I shouldn’t be running from my family. Besides, Timmy hadn’t seen me since after school.”

“Your younger brother? He is…interesting.”

“I know. Still, it’s bad that they’re keeping the truth away from his eyes. I think he should know exactly what’s going on. Mom thinks he’ll be just like her. Oh, I hope not. She’s a depressed mouse if I knew it. Have you seen her?”

“The thin woman with the tiny voice? I have. She was too busy looking out the window. Do you think she’s still there?”

“Probably. You want to check?”

“I’ll follow you.”

So, we set our destination for downstairs. As the two of us crept, we could see the shadow of the armchair, and I peeked through the columns of the railing. There she was, sitting there. She was a sad, strange woman, and I was hoping she’d be happier…like Lloyd’s mom. She’s crazier than a diva.

Varu’s hand brushed my back and his cold hands ran across my shoulder. I turned to him, and his hand retracted. “…Are you okay?” I’ve asked him that every single time, didn’t I? He blushed scarlet.

“I…well…wanted to see something.”

“See what?”

“It’s nothing.” Varu really needed to open up, and maybe what he’s used to wasn’t my style. He shut his eyes and glided past me. “I’m afraid of being shot down and cast off as a freak.”

A freak? You? I thought about it, and when a simple, but unexpected answer came to me, I was a little bit unnerved. My answer must be right. Ever since we met, he’s just been after me and saying the only thing he wanted was me. It’s odd, but…maybe I should make him happy for both of our sakes.

“I…can’t think negative when I’m around you.”

“Never shall I believe the negative about you.” Varu smirked. “Should we fall, light will shine.”

He came much closer to me than before and whispered something in my ear. Though I could barely understand a thing, the foreign language made me more than weak. I felt myself becoming light again…especially when I shut my eyes. Once he drew back, we met eyes once again. I said nothing, but I think my half-closed eyes and serious face made him smile even more.

“Do you still want to descend the steps?”

“Sure, but—can my mom see you?”

“No, she can’t. I don’t trust her, so she cannot see me at all. You’re the only one who is able to see, hear, and feel me. You can even sense me from any direction. I think your brother can hear me, though.”

“My brother’s had problems with that…though he denies it.” Here’s where I start ranting. Timmy doesn’t know this, yet, but I think he’s some sort of psychic or something, because he heard Varu’s pain and before moving here, he’s been passing out from fright. Also, he tells me about his dreams: vague at best and mostly a collection. My dreams are stories, not potpourri.

Speaking of Timmy, he ran from his room, (which was across from mine) and tugged at my pant leg, screaming, “I saw a ghost! I saw a ghost!”

“Ghost?” I repeated. Varu hid behind me, hoping he wouldn’t be seen. I asked my little brother, “Are you sure you saw a ghost. If you saw one, I would have seen it.”

“Nicky, this ghost was scary pretty. I don’t know if it was a boy or girl but it was so close to you. You had you eyes closed and then it kissed you! Yucky!” He cried again, fell into fetal position and embraced himself. “It was freaky because you didn’t refuse him. Mom and dad don’t even do that!”

I grumbled. “If I see the ghost, I’ll let you know.”

Varu poked my shoulder and pointed to the armchair on the bottom floor. Mom had risen…and she looked up at me with her saddened face. “Nicholas….Timothy…why are you two not sleeping in your new rooms?”
“We just wanted to go downstairs to get something to eat,” I replied. Timmy rushed down the steps before I even started descending them. He hugged her leg and told her he loved her so much, but she scares him at night because she always sat at that couch. Mom’s eyes closed for a second as if she was actually taking the opinion into consideration. Once her eyes opened again, she looked down at him, and said to him, “You may. Timothy, mother’s feeling restless at the moment. That is why she decides to remain downstairs and resting on the armchair, staring out the window as she does in the morning and afternoon. To be quite honest, I am sensing a ghost is among us right now.”

I looked over my shoulder, and Varu was near the easel, which was used to pain pictures…and it was the one I brought from the old house. He picked up a brush with scarlet paint and began using his creativity to make a black and red forest that took about five minutes. Timmy screamed, “Who painted that?!”

“I did,” I lied, and I neared Varu as he set the brush back in its cup holder. He turned to me and told me to follow. Without another word, I went with him to the kitchen, where there was a walk-in pantry. The ghost entered first and I went in next. “You scared Timmy, I think.”

“For the second time? How old is he?”

“Ten.”

“That’s when he starts realizing.” Varu sat on the cold floor and neared the only window. The moon could be seen. “Soon, he’ll know the world around him…and what’s happening in his life. He will be able to determine what is right and wrong.”

“Varu, your voice is changing on me.” I noticed the confidence in his tone, and I beamed. “Is there something on you mind tonight?”

“Though we just met, there’s this feeling. I’m unable to shake it off.”

“Is there something you want to do? I mean—we’re alone, now.”

“You mean your family won’t bother us, now.” Varu smiled at me, and came forth. Grasping my hands, he stood on the balls of his feet. I had my eyes shut at this point…and the warmth that grazed the side of my neck surged through my veins. That heat moved from the initial place to a spot near it. Not wanting to look, I questioned him without doing so.

“What are you doing?”

“Finding a soft spot,” he whispered to me. I don’t think he’s a vampire, though he looked the closest to one. I have more than one of the so-called ‘soft spots’ and he was near. Once the warmth moved to where there was a dent in my neck, I jerked. He found it. My non-violent grunt forced the incoming warmth away. Varu drew back. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” answered I. I rubbed at the side of my neck. “You just pin-pointed a nerve. It’s nothing serious. I mean…it wasn’t because of pain, because there was no pain. The reason I nudged was because—” I shut my mouth. What I wanted to say was not going to come out like I want to. Being an adolescent and vowing not to mix up my morals already made the situation worse. Yet, I think this particular moment was going to change things. Varu must have read me.

His head shifted to the side, and he made a guess. “Was it because it made your adrenaline surge for a second or two?”

Bingo.

I pulled at my darkened hair and then massaged it nervously. My eyes feared meeting his, fearing my feelings would freeze my already frail heart. When I found it in me to look at him again, I told him frankly, “It did. Especially for it being the first time I felt something like that.” Riveted; the only word to describe that jolt of energy from what he did. I was tempted to wrap myself up in the rush, but having never dealt with such feeling, the moment was cut short.

Varu’s blue-violet eyes gazed at my neck for a second. “It’s red,” he said. I instantly pulled out a compact mirror from my pocket and examined what he saw. My neck was scarlet, and I could see markings all over. “You wanted to attack me, right? Or was this a call for help?” A call for help it was. The ghost’s eyes shut, and a single tear fell. I watched it stream down his pale cheek and fall from his chin to the floor, breaking into little less-than-noticeable particles. I think I hurt his feelings with the first comment. I said I was sorry, and to mean it, I grasped his wrists and pulled him closer, into a hold. That’s when I knew the flow of tears had just started, but the reasons were unclear. I just wanted to make him feel better.

Varu drew his head back to look at me, and his face came closer to mine. My heart jumped twice, but I listened to it. If that was what he wanted, I had to give it to him, no matter if he was a ghost-being or not. So, I committed a crime against my father’s wishes and my mother’s fears: a kiss that would fall into the darkness of my mind was given. He took it.

After holding on for at most seven seconds, we let go. Varu drew in a heavy breath and smiled fully. “How’d you find that remedy for my lack of bond?” He questioned. I think he was really asking why I did what I did. My reason was simple. I thought he wanted affection from someone who actually gave a care for him. That just made him delighted all together.

I heard banging on the pantry closet door. It was Timmy again. Apparently, he’s a door-hog. “Nicky, mom wants to know why you’re hiding in the pantry. I think it’s weird, too. Is there someone in there?”

“I’m reading my story.” I lied.

Timmy started one of his attitudes. I call it the Snap Mode. “That story’s starting to creep me out, and stop making those stupid noises like you’re crying or dying in your sleep or something!”

“Look, Timmy, if you don’t like it, then don’t ask about it!”

“I’m your little brother, though.” He finally calmed down. “Now, can I come in there so I can get something to eat?”

I grumbled, but I let him inside. The first thing Timmy did was look right up at my neck. “Dude, what happened to you? Did you get bit or burnt by something?” I made up another story, saying that I was scalded at school, but he caught on. He saw the marks. “Who’s your girlfriend? Is she a cat?”

“Girlfriend?” I gulped. “Dude, really? Girls are annoying to me and you know that.”

“So, who’s your boyfriend, then?”

“B-Boyfriend?” At this time, my eyes shifted to a smiley Varu. “Why do you say that?”

“You said girls make you mad and you complain about them all the time. Ever since that one girl was killed, you’ve hated girls. So, I think you like boys now. I don’t care if you do. Mom and dad might, but I think it’s cool. At my school, there’s a boy who likes kissing other boys’ cheeks and running off. So, was it girlfriend, boyfriend, just a friend or what?”

He caught my tongue at this point. Varu told me it was okay, because he meant no harm, but I’ve known Timmy to be Mr. Tattle-Tale. So, being honest would kill me. But, I sat down on the floor, and I asked him, “Have you ever been—confused, Timmy?”

“Lots of times.”

“You don’t get it. You’re only ten. Do you like girls at all?”

Timmy nodded, and he went on about this girl he talked to at school. “Jennifer is the girl I want to be someday. She’s quiet, likes the color black, has dark hair that sits on her shoulders…”

“You’re describing mother a little bit.”

“Don’t they want to marry their mothers?”

“I suggest not.” I was blunt. Who’d want someone like mom? I think she’s a tool rather than a normal human being. Actually, that word should have never been in the dictionary. There’s no such thing as normal. Not to me, there’s not. Then, I went on, going back to what I was trying to tell him a few minutes ago. “Let’s just say I have a bit of confusion. Ever since Nelda was taken from earth, I’ve been looking for someone just like her…and gender doesn’t matter to me right now.”

Timmy gave me a pouted lip. “Oh. Is that it, big brother?”

“Mhm.”

“Okay. Well…is it the drawing I saw in your room. The person with the long black hair and really pretty eyes? I’d rather you be with someone like that.”

He walked away and out of the room. Rid of him, I stood back up and looked at my ghostly partner. He was floating a few inches from the tile, and his smirk caught my eye again. “So, you have had me on your mind beforehand. I know who you’re talking about.”

“Nelda?”

“Yes.” He landed on his feet. “She was the only girl you crushed on before her untimely passing…murder. I have seen her. I…strangely resemble her.”

“Y-You do…” I couldn’t lie to him. Not at a time like this. “It’s as if I’m speaking to her…but in a form that I could never fully understand. Don’t take it offensively, Varu. You look just like her…even without what girls usually have on them, because she did not have that, either.”

“Is it possible that I may—be a version of her?”

“Possibly, hopefully,” I chanted to myself. “But I like you just the way you are, no matter if a part of her is within you or not.” What did I just say? I think this whole romance ordeal has my head screwed off. Varu grabbed my wrist and came two full steps closer. Our fronts touched. It was odd, being so close. I’ve never felt this trapped since being locked in my father’s closet two years ago. But this kind of caging is something else. This time, I had no way out…and I didn’t want out.

That night was something I could not forget. Even after he decided to spend the night encased in the mirror and after I rested my head on the pillow that used to be his, there was just this feeling. The feeling that fate brought me to have feelings for a ghost. Was I made a ghost in this world by my parents? Or are they ghosts that haunt me by living with me?

This book has 1 comment.

on Feb. 7 2012 at 8:48 am
DarkIsThyThought BRONZE, Shishpipkabibble, Pennsylvania

I think I know enough of hate- to say that for destruction ice- is also great- and would suffice.

It seemed to be a rather exceptional book, but it failed in grasping my attention. proceed on with your writing, for you may become more advanced.