Love in History | Teen Ink

Love in History

April 16, 2011
By KellyKay SILVER, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
More by this author
KellyKay SILVER, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know when you're in love becasue reality it finally better than your dreams


Author's note: all i did to think of this was...honestly i can't remember but i love the result of it.

Present Time…New York City

The car came at her fast. Horns blared and tires screamed on the wet road in the night rain. With a nasty case of whiplash and a flash of the light the cars collided and time reversed.

1345...Scotland

The carriage came bursting toward them. The horses spooked by the snake. Her father tried to steer them away but t’was too late. They collided a bright light flashed and time moved with great haste.

There was pain in her head, Alexandra went to move her arms but she couldn’t. Panic set in and that’s when she heard the man’s voice.

“Daughter! Alexandra! Are ye well? Donna worry, we’ll reach ye soon!” Why is he talking like that, She thought. That was a strange way for a New Yorker to talk. Alexandra felt a great weight removed followed by the groaning of wood and more shouts to her. Someone picked her up into their arms. The rain pelted her face as someone carried her, voices swirled around her. There was a boom before lights flickered beyond her eyelids and the rain disappeared.

Feet echoed on what sounded like cement and she heard women’s gasps.

“Alexandra!” One shrieked. A soft hand pressed itself on her face and the woman’s voice sounded again. “What happened?”

“Some horses got away from their carriage.” A male’s voice replied. Alexandra guessed it was the man holding her for the surface next to her ear vibrated when he talked. “They ran straight at us. The carriage tipped and she was caught under it. It took five of us to free her.”

“Oh my poor child. Someone fetch the doctor!” The female voice yelled. “Quick place her on the bed.” The man placed her down and Alexandra marveled in its softness. “Mary fetch my a dry gown! Out whilst we change her!” The woman’s voice commanded. Alexandra felt someone lift her into a sitting position and soon she was undressed and in dry clothing. It was then she realized the woman had said ‘gown’. What happened to her jeans and sweatshirt? Alexandra couldn’t find out because it was then the closeting darkness she had been fighting all this time won and took her senses with it.


She awoke to a woman’s humming. Small arms held her and she heard birds’ singing.

“Mom…” Alexandra murmured curling into her mother’s arms.

“Royce!” The woman whispered. “I think she’s awaking.” There was the quiet sound of a chair being pushed back and then the pressure of the bed going down under someone’s weight. A hard hand cupped her cheek.

“She seems better then before. Tis great news.” Alexandra felt her mother release her and she finally managed to open her eyes. She thought she’d see herself in a hospital with cords and IV’s connected to her body. And her foster parents, who never got along, sitting on her bed. No what she saw were two strangers dressed in fourteenth century clothing. Alexandra jumped back, panicking. Her eyes wide she wondered where the hell she was.

“Tis alright darling. Tis only yer parents.” The woman spoke. She had long blond hair and green eyes. Her nose was straight and her lips red as blood. Her face was clear of all blemishes. She wore a green velvet gown with wide sleeves and a square neck line. She turned to the man beside her. “Royce, why is she acting as if she donna know us?”

“She did hit her head, Aubrey. Give her time…she’ll recall who we are.” The man soothed. He had short dark hair with gray eyes. Tan skin and a cleft in his chin. Royce’s nose was long and straight, with high cheek bones and firm lips. There was a scar on his left cheek. He was also built. The tunic he wore showed his broad masculine shoulders and muscular arms. Alexandra looked down and saw his legs encased in tights, his feet covered with boots.

She must be delirious on pain killers, Alex thought to herself. That would explain everything.

“Darling?” Aubrey implored. “ Do ye remember us?” The way they talked…they way they dressed…the room. Had a white theme. Her curtains and bedding were white. Her walls were made of concrete-no stone. Tapestries hung on the walls. Then there were two large windows one of them had a balcony. Then a tapestry in front of her king-sized canopy bed held a crest. With shock Alexandra realized it was the Cullen crest from Twilight.

“Mother?” Alex whispered hoarsely. Royce leaned and held a tankard to her lips. Alex sniffed and smelled water. She took a sip to douse the fire in her throat then managed to ask he question. “What is today?”

“The twenty third of March in the year 1345.” 1345 Alex’s head spun. No! She lived in the year 2011. Not the fourteenth century. Alex pinched herself and she didn’t wake up. She hoped it was a dream, or a delusion built by the pain killers the hospital were giving her. Not getting the reaction she wanted. Alexandra jumped from the bed and rushed towards the door, the two adults gasping her name behind her. She flung the door opened and rushed out to peer down at the gallery below the balcony.
Servants, knights, warriors along with the same stone structure and more tapestries holding the crest from her room hung on the walls. A great fireplace big enough to stand in cradled a fire.

“No, tis canna be true!” Alex was shocked by what she said…and her accent. She sounded Scottish. No this can’t be happening, No! No! No! The blackness returned and now Alex was thankful for it. Maybe now she’d wake up.

A fierce smell filled her nose making her cough and her eyes open. She was still in the same place. This was obviously real. I really wish I’d paid attention in History now , Alex thought. If she was in the year 1345 then…she knew exactly what to do. Thank you Lord for all the romance novels I read that were based in this century! Alex praised. Alice was back in bed with her parents around her again. She looked at their faces once more then looked towards the window. The angle sun of the sun suggested it was maybe noon.

“Should we fetch the doctor again?” Audrey asked, Alex shook her head.

“N-No. I’m fine, tis my head I think.” She explained sitting up and holding the back of her head. “Tis quite sore.”

“My poor daughter.” Her mother cooed, pressing he r lips to Alex’s temple. “How frightened ye must’ve been. Thank the good Lord yer Father and his men were there to lift that carriage off ye.”

“Have I thanked them yet?” Alex quizzed before her mother shook her head.

“Ye’ve been asleep for the evening, last night, then most of this morning, and when ye did awake ye acted to strangely.”

“I’m sorry Mother. T’was probably that blow to the head.”

“Well yer in safety now.” Her father added. “Now I’ll tell all ears whop care to hear of our good fortune. Good day my darlings.” Royce kissed each of their heads before setting of to his task. Alex suddenly had the urge to get up and about.

“Mother,” Alex started gaining her mother’s undivided attention. “I wish to move about. May we stroll through the gardens?” Do we even have garden?

“Perhaps later dearest. Ye must first regain yer strength. I’ll have Mary bring you something to eat.” Her Mother added walking away. Sensing a moment of freedom Alex jumped from the bed as soon as the sound of footsteps faded outside her door. She nearly stumbled while nearly running to another door on the other side of the room. Opening the double doors she stood in awe at the humongous walk-in closet. There was many gowns of all kinds of fabrics and colors and designs. Hundreds of shoes! Lots of Jewelry! The Hair accessories!

“What a girl back in New York wouldn’t give to have this closet.” She murmured to herself.

“My Lady,” A female voice sounded. “I insist if yer out of bed yer at the least sitting down.” Alex walked into the closet and fell in love with the first gown she saw. She reached out to it and saw out of the corner of her eye the woman who was possibly Mary stop in the doorway. “My La-” She cut her self off as she watched Alex admire the white velvet gown with gold lining. There was a split in the front of the skirt of silk gold with a lop of silk gold around the waist of the dress that dipped in the back. On the arms between the shoulder and elbow were more bands of silk; and these split away from the sleeve showing more white velvet underneath but having more gold lining the inside. The square neckline also had a band of gold silk. The long sleeves ended on a point atop where a hand would be.

“May I dress in this?” Alex asked. She thought it much more beautiful than the plain, loose, night gown she was wearing. “I’ll eat after I’m done dressing. Ye are Mary right?”

“God heavens, child of course, I’m yer nurse! That bump on yer wee head must’ve made you forget me.” Mary told her walking forward and taking down the gown.

“I remember you know, Nurse.”

“Come out of this closet child, so I can get ye dressed.” Alex followed and obeyed her nurse’s orders as she helped Alex dress. There was a vast sea of land. Covered with trees and open plains. A moat surrounded high castle wall about thirty feet from her window. And not far in the distance was the Atlantic ocean.

“I believe that’s the Atlantic ocean.” Alex murmured quietly to herself her brows squeezing in confusion. Her placed her hand upon the window. “But what is it called now? Or is it the North sea?” Alex added after a minutes thought.

“M’ Lady-” Mary started calling her attention but Alex cut her off.

“What sea is that?”

“Why that’s the North sea M’ Lady. When ye were a wee little thing you always pestered yer dear father about taking ye to the sea. One day he did and ye came back asleep in his arms. He told us ye were so happy you swam for so long that ye had exhausted yerself. The next day you told everyone in the kitchens or anyone who would listen about yer adventures and yer mini battle with yer father on the sandy shores.”

“That sounds like a dream.”

“Tis not a dream but in the past. No hurry up and eat before that good food goes to waste.” Alex used Mary’s shoulder as a base of balance as she put on the sparkly white slippers on her feet. Then she went over to a table and gazed at her food. It was a sweet smelling soup.

“What is this? It smells divine.”

“Tis yer favorite. Beef with vegetables stew. Chef André thought you would like it. And t’would help you heal faster.”

“I think I’ll thank him later.” Alex took a look at the placement of silverware. “I’ve forgotten who to use all this.”

“Well that’s a quick fix my lady.” Mary quickly explained the silverware Alex would need for her meal and told her she’d explain more at a later date. Alex moaned with delight when the soup hit her taste buds. It was like ecstasy in her mouth with only one spoonful. By then time she was done Alice felt strong enough to at least go downstairs to where all her kins men were residing. Mary explained they would give their life for hers. And she was shocked no one in New York really cared about her. But she suspected that Logan did. But he was always reclusive.

“Now I’ll never know.”

“What M’ Lady?”

“Nothing.” Alex tried to remember his face and realized her memories were fading. This wasn’t good. When she got off the steps there were men grinning at her.

“Yer father told us the news.” One said, he wore a kilt with the crest colors and had red hair, green eyes, and a short beard.

“We knew ye’d make it.” Another said looking similar to the last. “Ye’ve been a tough little bugger since ye were a wee babe.” Alex smiled. For once in her life she felt as if she belonged. As if she was loved. Gazing upon those who gazed upon her. She knew she was the one thing she’d wanted all her life.

Loved.

Present Day…New York City

What is that noise? Alex thought to herself. The screaming metallic sound like a beast wounded in battle. Lights flashed above her eyes, something wet hit her face and she heard strange voices. Not those of her father or her kins men. But she couldn’t open her eyes. She felt someone pry her from the carriage, and then everything went black.
What horrid nightmare am I living? She thought to herself.

“Will she be alright?” A woman’s voice asked.

“Her arm is broken, a few cracked ribs, and a blow to the head. But we fixed her up the best we could. She’s on a lot of morphine and she ay not make since for a while but she’ll be able to go home tomorrow if she’s careful.”

“Thank you doctor.” Footsteps receded and a chair scrapped across the floor. Alex struggled to gain her senses but finally gained some.

Touch.

Her bed was hard and slanted upward. Her pillows lumpy and the sheets cool.

Hearing.

A strange beeping sound was somewhere near. What strange hell is this?

“Go home, I’ll stay with her.

“Behave Logan, call us if anything changes.”

“I will.” She heard footsteps, the felt a kiss upon her cheek. “You innocent beauty…my father told me you’d come one day. I’m glad I’ve lived to see you. Alexandra MacKay. Wake up my sweet lady. I am the Claymore.

Sight.

Alexandra opened her eyes and she jumped trying to back away from the boy on her bed but she was trapped. He grasped her hand.

“Unhand me!”

“My lady I am not her to harm.” She calmed down and relaxed into the bed. Little did she know it was because Logan had pressed a button to release a shot of drugs that calmed her.

“You said you are ‘the Claymore’.”

“It is a society created by your Father, Royce MacKay, to protect his family. My Father gave me the duty to wait for the daughter of the founder that would one day return. The duty to protect the daughter who would travel through time.”

“What do you mean?” Her eyes when she realized she talked strangely. Her accent was gone and she didn’t talk like she was used to.

“The year is 2011. Six-hundred and sixty years after the year you wear in the crash. You live in America. Which was found in 1492 by Christopher Columbus. You would’ve been dead before it was discovered.” Logan pulled out her family’s crest. “This crest is very popular thanks to The Twilight Saga. So you will see it everywhere. Only I know who is apart of the Claymore. They’ll help you, along with myself, adjust to this world. You live in New York City, which is a big city. Never go anywhere without me.” Logan had green eyes long brown hair pulled into a ponytail. His face was fair and he reminded her of someone she knew.

“Will you help me?”

“I was to show you the crest to show my allegiance. Now that you have come the Claymore will get us out of the orphanage.”

“Orphanage?”

“The girl’s body you occupy. Alexandra Smith. Is the girl I love, she lost her parents when she was young to a murderer. She came to the orphanage and I followed shortly after.”

“Where am I?” Alex asked looking around; blue walls, a large screen showing moving pictures and other strange things.

“That’s a TV. And you’re in a hospital; People come here when they are sick, injured and other things. Just stay with me and I’ll get you through this.” He was silent for a moment and looked down and smiled. “It’s ironic; you both get in a crash at the same time and switch bodies. I love Alex, not you, but the one most likely living in your body in your time.”

“Can I get back?”

“I’m not sure. That’s something the Claymore can help with when I give them a call. They’ll finalize the adoption papers and we’ll be able to live with them.”

“Who is the Claymore?”

“It’s a group of descendants of the original Claymore. Mostly men but there are women now. So don’t feel over powered. We all have been waiting.”

“So what do I do now?”

“Well we have to get you clean clothes-Oh! Women don’t always wear dresses anymore. They can wear pants as well. They also have as many rights as men do. You’re not property you’re a person.”

“Really, when did this happen?” Logan then went on to explain for the next several hours all about history and modern things. Alex had fallen asleep when Logan stood in front of the window looking over the city. His cell phone in hand he dialed the Claymore leader.

“Logan.” The voice answered

“I found her. It was Alex, when she crashed they switched bodies. Alex can go home tomorrow. It’s strange calling her Alex and yet she’s not Alex.”

“Focus boy.”

“Right. Finalize the papers and bring a dress I think she’ll be more comfortable in that then jeans right now. She’s still adjusting.”

“Did you explain?”

“I’ve been explaining about now. She fell asleep a few minutes ago. She’s so curious of our world. It will be tough to send her back. Can we send her back?”

“It’s her choice. But she has to wait until Alex, the real Alex, realizes what’s going on.”

“How long will that go on?”

“Could be forever.” The leader told Logan. “But go through your room. Something tells me Alex will try to communicate for the past. We’ll keep watch and we’ll finalize the adoption papers. I’ll have Emma set up rooms for you both.”

“Thanks.”

“Be careful, Logan.”

“Yes, sir…” They were both silent for a few moments. Logan starred at the moon wishing he could see the stars. The city lights always blocked them. When I die I’ll join your mother and we’ll watch you every night and day. His father’s words echoed in his from their last camping trip. One week before his father would die.

“Logan?”

“Yes?” Logan sighed.

“…Your father would be very proud of you.”

“Thank you.”

“Goodbye.”

“Goodbye. Sir?”

“If Alex, the real Alex, is a descendant of one of the councilmen then why isn’t she in the Claymore?”

“Alex is a descendant of Angus Smith, who was Royce’s right-hand man. He was entrusted with Alex’s care when he went missing by her mother. We knew it would be a woman that Alexandra would return in. And I know why Alex never knew. Her parents wanted her to have nothing to do with the Claymore. Reasons? I don’t know. But protect her Logan. Her life is in your hands until we come for you both.”

“Yes sir.”

“Goodbye. Wait, what was the damage done to her in the crash?”

“Broken arm and a few cracked ribs. They fixed her ribs and her arm’s in a cast. She’ll be good for now. I told her never to go anywhere with out me and told her about her family’s crest. Goodbye.”

“Good. I can see your father smiling at you along with your dear mother. Bye.”

“Bye.” They finally hung up and Logan turned back to watch Alex. He saw the woman of his dreams but knew that it wasn’t really her. It was another girl form 1345. A totally different girl who had switched bodies. “Why did it have to be you? Her? I wanted to tell her how I felt. And now I may never be able to tell her. But rules are rules. I have to protect you at all costs even if it means my own life.” This was going to be harder knowing the one girl the one who slept in the next room to his in the orphanage was gone and most likely never coming back.

Why was the new girl here anyways? Did anyone ever really know? Logan kept thinking to himself. Prophecy told she would come and save us. Save us from what? I guess 2012 really was going to happen…possibly. That’s the only major disaster I can think o fin the near future but then again I could get ran over tomorrow. Hopefully this would be over soon and I could get reunited with the real Alex and confess my love for-and wow did that sound so pathetic! Alex always did love classy guys, like from her novels. Logan sighed, and walked over to the window again. Remembering the first time he saw her cry. She never did not in front of anyone at least. She wanted to appear strong when inside she was crumbling.


The children burst into his room and he growled in frustration. It was utterly useless to try and study when they were in here. Logan picked up his books then walked out of the room. He walked around toys on the floor and past doors with posters on them. To the one door he knew would take him to the roof. It was a nice day and he could always go in the greenhouse.

When he opened the door to the roof sunlight welcomed him and the smell of fresh blooming flowers. The greenhouse was in full bloom. Putting his books down on the patio table he decided to go for a quick stroll through the greenhouse. He opened the doors and smiled at the smell of the roses. That greeted him accompanied by various other smells. He walked forward and plucked and rose from its brush when he heard her. The quiet female whimper telling any who heard she was crying.

He followed the sound and saw her on her knees with a white lily in her hand. Correction: two white lilies. It seemed she lost strength and fell to her side. Her tears making her shoulders shake. Her red hair gave away her identity. Alexandra Smith.
Strange she never cried.

“Alex?” She froze then wiped her eyes.

“What?”

“Are you alright?” Logan asked stepping closer cautiously.

“Yeah, it’s just my allergies. Go away I want to be alone.”

“Alex you can tell me what’s wrong.” Logan bent to his knee and lifted her off the cement and held her back against his chest. “What’s making you cry so much?”

“I’m not crying,” She insisted. “It’s my allergies.”

“Then why not get out of the greenhouse?”

“Because I don’t want to.”

“Alex I know you’re crying. The ground is wet.”

“It was the hose.”

“The house is at the door and the water is shut off. There is also no tracks of any plants here being watered.”

“Eight years. Today marks eight years when I was forced to watch him murder them. He raped my mother then went for me but my father intervened. He killed him then started for me again but that was when the cops showed up. A woman picked me up and rushed me from the house. I kept screaming for my parents, for the woman to take me back. But she kept running me from the house. I heard gun shots next and shouting. They killed the murderer and I was brought here shortly there after. I had no relatives able to take care of me.”

“That’s the first time I saw you cry. And I hope the last.” Logan murmured to himself glancing back to Alex once more. “I hope you come back soon Alexandra. I want you back in your own body.” Logan laid down in the recliner. He was going to have a lot of explaining to do to help the new Alex through the city of New York. And hopefully the Claymore would come pick them up. And the sooner the got out of that orphanage the better. In there it was a living nightmare.

He kicked off his shoes and took off his belt. He’d better have his rest, tomorrow was going to be a long day.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Sep. 7 2011 at 12:01 pm
KellyKay SILVER, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know when you're in love becasue reality it finally better than your dreams

i've stopped writing this for right now becasue i lost interest and i'm working on another book that i'm sending to a publisher soon but i will pick this one back up. i just need to rewrite it becasue i changed the plot. thanks for understanding

on Apr. 20 2011 at 10:35 am
KellyKay SILVER, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know when you're in love becasue reality it finally better than your dreams

anks i have written more but i keep forgetting my notebook at home when i come to school. i actually should becasue i need to do math but i manage. I'll have mroe soon thanks for reading

on Apr. 20 2011 at 7:56 am
Parantan BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go.

This story is amazing! I love it! Please, please, please get up more chapters! I love the idea and how it's written.