The Rock, The Hard Place | Teen Ink

The Rock, The Hard Place

By mjop1992, Signal Mountain, Tennessee
mjop1992, Signal Mountain, Tennessee

Setting: Post-Vietnam America in Queensbury, New York, 1977: the living room of the house of ROSE and JIM LEWIS, Saturday night. The living room is large. There is a table in the center with three chairs around it. A standing mirror and telephone on a table are SL of the main table. A crib is SR of the main table. There is a rocking chair and small stand with a drawer beside the crib. ROSE sits in the rocking chair, reading the paper. In the crib is JILL, her baby. The front door is EXIT STAGE LEFT and the rest of the house is EXIT STAGE RIGHT.

ROSE
(Reading the newspaper aloud) “Another robbery in Chicago. The seventh major robbery in Chicago since the Vietnam War ended. A veteran committed the crime, just like the other six robberies. Is there a connection?” (She sighs sadly, begins to flip through the headlines.) “Another protest overseas. Another trial in the appellate courts concerning a triple murder. Will be set free because of investigation technicality. Another girl found in Florida, drowned. She has yet to be identified.” (Closes it, and throws it down, disgusted, sighs, then looks up.) Why has the world forsaken you, God? (Looks at JILL, lost in thought) Oh, the world is a terrible place, Jill. People want to hurt one another, but no one quite knows why. The truth is, it's not what God intended. God wants us to be good to one anther. That's all He wants. Remember that if nothing else. The Devil will tempt you to stray from that purpose, but I don't want you to fall into temptation. The world is so driven by devilish things, and there's no way to know what it'll do. (Looks into space as she says it, then back to JILL following a pause) But that's not going to happen to you, Jill. You're going to be raised right. (Volume rising with enthusiasm)You are going to know God and do things the way He would want you to. I suppose that's all that can be done. I have to teach you how to be strong and righteous. I have to teach you what to do in every situation; make the right decision and follow what the Bible says. That's what life is, Jill; a series of black and white experiences. A problem can be presented to anyone, and the answer will be made clear through the Bible. It's our handbook for living. God is truth, (Getting to her feet) God is good, (Pause, then sits back down, looking into the cradle at JILL) and God has all the answers. Listen to him. Because He is our shepherd. (Pause) Don't forget God. People steal, kill, and divorce because they forget Him. More divorces than the other two, but it's just important to remember that. And once two people are married, it means forever. For better or worse. Meaning that the differences don't matter because they love one another. Differences shouldn't matter… (Voice trails off, dramatic pause) Like your father and me: we were married back before the war ended. I’ve told you this before. It was quick and quiet. Your father called it “humble.” I still remember when we met. It was at church, he asked me on a date, and a year later, we were married. Just like that. (Pause, looks at JILL) Why, you ask? Well, he had just gotten his job at the Post Star. He was making decent money and I figured it was about time to settle down. So we did. We bought ourselves this little house and waited for the war to end. When it did, we had you, you little diamond. And that was that. (Smiles)

ENTER JIM
(JIM wears a black tie, dress pants, and suspenders along with a grey hat. A press pass hangs out of his pocket, and his grey trench coat is slung over his shoulder. He’s tired. His shoulders droop, and his eyes are only half-open.)

JIM
(Tired) Hi, Honey, I’m home.

ROSE
(Cheerful) Hey, Jim. How was your day?

JIM
(Scoff) Awful, as usual. (Begins to walk toward table to sit, rambling) The news is always bad, but I'm not the editor, and I don't make the news happen either. It's been that way since the war ended. The editor seems to be looking for news as bad as a war, but there's no such luck, at least not every day.

ROSE
I’m sorry

JIM
Never mind. It’s not your fault. (Rubbing his eyes, yawns, pause) What about here? How was the little diamond today?

ROSE
(With enthusiasm) Diamond-y! She's so amazing; I don't know what to do with her sometimes. I don't know whether to show her off, or build a wall around her so she never ever changes.

JIM
(Half-joking) I'm sure you'd prefer the second.

ROSE
That's exactly what I was thinking. (Looking at JILL, then back to JIM) So what happened in the news today, Mr. Newspaperman?

JIM
(Sighing)Vietnam came up again. More POWs were released, about a dozen of them and they'll all be back by tomorrow, hopefully. Elvis died today, too.

ROSE
NO!

JIM
(Laugh) Yes! On the toilet of all places. It's a terrible thing, but I suppose God has a sense of humor. It's going to dominate the news tomorrow, but I think the POWs should get the front page.

ROSE
(Somewhere else mentally) Yeah. (Falls silent)

JIM
What’s wrong, Rose?

ROSE
(Immediately) I thought of him today.

JIM
(Suddenly alert and stern) I thought we were past him, Rose.

ROSE
I know.It's been so long, but he just sprung to my mind this morning. Anyhow, it was only for a moment.

JIM
Are you sure? What happened?

ROSE
It wasn't anything major. It was there, and then it was gone. I had forgotten about it until you told me about those POWs coming home.

JIM
All right. If you're sure, because I can call Dr. Wahlberg if you need me to.

ROSE
Seriously, Jim. You haven't called him for three years, and I'd rather it stay that way. I'm fine, really. I just thought I should be open about it.

JIM
(tentatively) All right, then. I appreciate the honesty; it's just that it was a tough time for us.

ROSE
I know. I'm sorry I worried you. I shouldn't have talked about it.

JIM
No, no. It's fine. Thank you. (Rises, kisses Rose on the forehead) Well, I have an article to write before I go to bed, and I'll be in the other room if you need me.

ROSE
(Softly) Thanks.

EXIT JIM

ROSE
(Gets up and paces to the edge of the stage, looks out into the distance and whispers) Walker.
(Turns back toward JILL and sits beside her crib, ROSE touches JILL gently)
Have I ever told you the story of a man named Walker Smith? (JILL coos) Probably not, huh? It was long before you were born. Well, he was a man I knew before your Daddy, and I loved him. (ROSE tells the story softly at first, rises to excitement, and then drops back down into a more heartfelt state of mind.) He was so tall, so soft-spoken, so kind. That's the way he won my heart, you know. I really did love him. I loved him so well. I can still remember the day that I fell in love with him. It was also the scariest moment of my life. It was in November. We were just playing a game of ball outside, and our team was winning, but just barely! And the ball- (Sharp pause) I mean, I was just so caught up in the game that I didn't see the car when the ball rolled into the street. (Long pause) The horn sounded. Time stopped. I could feel everything in the universe. I could sense everything. The smell of grass. The taste of the sweat. The heat of the asphalt. The knife of the autumn air trying to cut my attention away from the car, but it was like everything had gone mute. An understood malaise that I hadn't come to terms with. (Swallows, then smiles) But Walker kept his wits. He pushed me out of the way just time time. I can still hear the muffled crack and the screech. The only injury I had was a scrape on my arm. I was screaming. It was more out of fear than anything, but Walker, he smiled at me. He kept a smile on his face and kept calm. His face was peaceful. For me. The ambulance came and I learned that he had broken his leg in two places. I couldn't believe he hadn't even cried out. He had fought back the pain to make sure I was all right. That when I knew that I could never… (Stops, becomes self-critical) No! Remember the therapy! I have to let go. Let go… (deep breath) Yes. I loved him. I brought flowers to him every day at the hospital. Then we would just sit and talk for an hour, sometimes two. It was just me and him, all alone. Just talking to one another. And we never got bored. We never stopped talking. We never ran out of things to talk about. (smiles at memory) That's when you know Jill, that's when you know that it's right. And it feels like the only thing that could ever be right. (breaks out of it) By the time he was better and could get out of bed, it was summer. We had our short romance and he turned 18. The bliss of childhood disappeared in the blink of an eye when he was drafted to fight in Vietnam. It wasn't so bad, once I think about it. It had its good days and its bad ones. The good ones were when I would get a letter from him, telling me how much he loved me, how much he desperately wanted to come home, how much he missed me... I would write back, telling him to be strong. Telling him not to be afraid. I always told him that my mother carried a locket that had an engraving: 'There is no fear in love, but the perfect love casteth out fear.' I always remembered that, though I lost the locket long ago, the words stay with me, and I hoped they would stay with him too. I hoped that he would come back home, and things would be all right again. But things are not always as we plan them because then the letters stopped coming. I knew something was wrong, but I couldn't bring myself to think it. Then the telegram came on that horribly yellow paper: “Private Walker Winston Smith: MIA.” (Purses lips) Those five little words were enough to tear out my heart on the spot. I couldn't stand life without him. However, he had gone missing in action, which meant that there was still hope he was alive. (Anger rises) Looking back, I wish the telegram had said “Killed in Action,” because then I wouldn't have clung to the tiny, faulty, and torturous hope that he would return. The anxiety it gave me was almost poisonous. I would wake up in the morning, and the world would seem gray, mute, pointless, tasteless, yet that hope would still linger for me to hold onto in my misery, torturing me, stealing my energy, stealing my soul a little at a time! It was the worst time of my life... I kept praying to God to bring him back to me, but nothing ever happened. One day, I just broke down. I couldn't take being in this life without him. (Calms) That was when I met your father. He came over to me and comforted me while I cried. I suppose that's why I said “yes” when he asked me to marry him. Because he was there for me when Walker wasn't. Also, I suppose Jim reminds me of Walker a little bit, and that's why I had to go to therapy; because I couldn't stop seeing Walker in everything. It was the rockiest point in our marriage, but Dr. Wahlberg helped me come to terms with Walker's death. It took a few years, but we finally got through it. It was like one day, I woke up, and Walker was gone. I became disenchanted, and I was so happy when I realized it was over. Then you came along, and made my life better than it's ever been. (Smiles, leans down and kisses JILL) And that's that. (glances at watch, gets up and tucks JILL in.) Goodnight, little angel. (Kisses her)

ENTER JIM

JIM
(Whispering) Hi.

ROSE
(Whispering) Hey, she just fell asleep. I’m about to go to bed too.

JIM
All right.

ROSE
Don't stay up much longer, Honey. Tomorrow's Sunday, and we've got to get up and go to church, okay?

JIM
Yeah, that’s sort of why I came in here. (Sits)

ROSE
(Stiffens) What is it?

JIM
I’m not going to be able to make it to church tomorrow. (ROSE inhales sharply, angrily) I have to go in early for work and stay late to up together the story for Monday.

ROSE
(Scolding) Jim. You can't not go to church.

JIM
But-

ROSE
(Cutting him off) No! We've been over this. There's no compromise with God, and he comes before everything in life. Before family and especially before work. You'll get it done if you stay later, and Jill and I will manage.

JIM
(Giving up.) All right. I'm sorry, it's just that I've been so stressed with work lately that I got distracted.

ROSE
So you're going?

JIM
Yes.

ROSE
(Sighing) Okay. (Gets up and turns to leave.) Don’t stay up much longer.

JIM
Okay.

ROSE
(Stops and turns around) Love you.

JIM
(Without looking up) Yeah. (Rose sighs)

EXIT ROSE
Might as well get started.

CURTAIN

SCENE II
Setting: Simple prayer room at ROSE’s church. There are two chairs in the middle, facing one another, a table in between them, and a cross on the wall, parallel with the table. There are two entrances. FATHER JEREMY and ROSE enter from opposite ends of the stage. ROSE wears a Sunday dress and FATHER JEREMY wears a grey suit, black shoes, and a conservative tie.

ROSE
Good morning, Father

FATHER
Hello and good morning, Rose, How are you?

ROSE
(Beams) I'm just.... basking in the glory and love of the Lord. How are you doing?

FATHER
(Grins) Oh, I'm just the same.

ROSE
Fantastic!

FATHER
Are you prepared for prayer service?

ROSE
Oh yes. It's what I always look forward to. I just want to share the glory of God with the world. I just want to give hope to those people who need it the most. I just want to do what God wants me to do. (Sits)

FATHER
I know you, Rose. You will be God's tool: a light to those who are lost.

ROSE
That means a lot, Father. Thank you.

FATHER
You are most welcome. (Pauses) Well, those of the congregation who want to pray will be here soon. The sermon will start in an hour.

ROSE
I hope we don't take too long.

FATHER
God willing.

ENTER CHURCHGOER
(CHURCHGOER steps to the side, hands in his pockets, to listen. He has a noticeable burn from the middle of his cheek down his neck; he is dressed in a black wool coat and a scarf. With grey slacks underneath.)
Here’s the first of them. (Nodding to CHURCHGOER) I’ll leave you two, then.

ROSE
Thank you, Father.

EXIT FATHER
(Smiles) Hello. What's your name?

CHURCHGOER
(Ignoring the question) Why did you call him “Father?” I didn't think this was a Catholic church.

ROSE
It's not.

CHURCHGOER
And he's not your real father, is he?

ROSE
No, he’s not.

CHURCHGOER
Then why did you call him that?

ROSE
Everyone does. (Casual, accommodating.) I just like to think of him as a father figure. He's the path between God and us. He's been there for me when times were hard. And aside from that, he used to be a Catholic priest. He just got used to it, I suppose. I've never known a person who didn't call him “Father.”

CHURCHGOER
I see. (Pause) It's my understanding that we only call God our Father in that way. Some say calling a pastor or priest “Father” elevates him to being the face of God. (Meanders to chair)

ROSE
(Temper rising, but under control) Is that not what he is to us? God led Father Jeremy to this calling and put him in this place so that he may lead us to the Lord.

CHURCHGOER
I wasn't arguing, merely pointing out that it's a possibility; saying that there's another point of view that you may not be considering. (Pause) How might God feel about such a thing?

ROSE
(Annoyed) God is all right with it. He understands what others may not.

CHURCHGOER
Fair enough. (Sits, followed by solid pause.)

ROSE
(Clears her throat) Is it your first time here? I don’t recognize you.

CHURCHGOER
(Stares long and hard) Yes… it’s my first time here.

ROSE
Where did you go to church before this?

CHURCHGOER
Nowhere. (Swallows) I’ve never been to church.

ROSE
I’m sorry to hear that.

CHURCHGOER
Why?

ROSE
God and the Church were the best things that ever happened to me. I feel sorry for someone who hasn’t experienced them.

CHURCHGOER
Well, I've wanted to go for a long time, but (choked up) I've been unable.

ROSE
Why?

CHURCHGOER
I’d rather not say. It’s personal

ROSE
Do you want to pray about it?

CHURCHGOER
(squirming) I… I don’t know what I want to do.

ROSE
This is why you’re here isn’t it? To pray? To ask God for help?

CHURCHGOER
I…(Stands) I’ve changed my mind.

ROSE
Are you sure? (Stands)

CHURCHGOER
Yes…I just need some time. (Turns for the door)

ROSE
That’s fine. Are you staying for the sermon?

CHURCHGOER
Yes. (Waits by EXIT opposite of ROSE)

ROSE
Okay, well, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I hope you come back later. (Sitting)

CHURCHGOER
I’ll try.

ROSE
Goodbye.

CHURCHGOER
Goodbye, Rose.

EXIT CHURCHGOER
(He exits as Rose’s back is turned. Rose stiffens when she realizes that she never told him her name.)

ROSE
Wait a minute….

CURTAIN

SCENE III

Setting: a podium in the center, a chair off to the side and behind the podium USR, cross in the background. The audience acts as the congregation. ROSE and JIM ENTER SR talking. JIM is holding JILL in his arms. They make their way across the stage toward their seats in the audience as they talk. Perhaps stopping along the way.

JIM
(unconcerned) He knew your name, huh?

ROSE
He knew me.

JIM
And you didn’t know him.

ROSE
No. I mean, I don’t remember him, at least

JIM
And then he just left?

ROSE
No, he’s staying for the sermon.

JIM
(Sighs) Weird, very weird.

ROSE
(Emphatically) But he's still here somewhere! I need to find him. I need to find out who he is.

JIM
Do it after the sermon. It's about to start. (ROSE sighs, they take their seats)

ENTER FATHER
(Carrying a Bible, he makes his way to the podium, scanning the “congregation” like a farmer tending his plants. He sets his Bible down on the podium, scans the audience, smiles, and then loosens his tie.)

FATHER
(Suddenly, loudly, raising his arms) Faithfulness! (Long Pause) To… (Pause) God… (Pause) to our spouses, to our families, to the church. That is, among other things, what makes a strong person. (Speaks powerfully) For he who is not faithful will stray from the path of righteousness.... and be destroyed. (Pause) For the path is wide that leads to destruction, and narrow is the path that leads to eternal life. The Lord knows this, and so does the Devil. Indeed, the Devil knows it well, for his is the path of destruction, and he will tempt you. This will also be God's test of your faith.... But faithfulness!... Faithfulness in God will triumph every time over the path of wickedness. One merely needs to find his faith in God, and he can overcome any obstacle. Resist any temptation. Succeed in any form. Yes, the Lord will triumph in you when you choose Him. And He will reward you for that triumph, but also, there will be time when you fall. When you fail to follow the path. When you forget. When you are lost, and stray from what is good and right. But believe me, the Lord will let you know. The Lord will let you know what is right and what is wrong. And when you ask, He will forgive, and accept you with open arms back to Him.

JIM
(Shouts) AMEN!

FATHER
Thank you, Brother! Yes! Our Lord gives us second chances and he shows them to us in the miraculous of ways. In fact, there is a man in this room today, (Churchgoer gets up from back of the audience, makes his way to the altar.) who was given such a second chance. God found him in a place so near the gates of Hell that it was almost too close to tell whether he was within them or not. However, the Lord reached out and saved him from that dark place, showed him the light of mercy and grace, and brought him back to us. He has just returned from a Vietnamese prisoner of war camp, where terrible things happened to him. However, in this dark place, he accepted the Lord, Jesus Christ, as his savior, and was saved. I've asked him to share his story with us today because I believe that it demonstrates the power of faith. In… God. (Pause dramatically.) Please welcome… Mister Walker Smith! (Recedes to chair USR from podium)
(ROSE gasps, WALKER takes podium)

WALKER
(Smiling weakly) Thank you. (Pause) At first, I didn't want to tell the story of what happened to me when I spoke to Father Jeremy earlier this week. I was sensitive because of how amazingly close to my heart these experiences are. But yesterday, I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to be heard. That it was my duty to tell you about what has happened to me over the past decade. It's important because miracles really do happen. I'm living proof of that. I nearly died in that camp outside Saigon. I was a long way from home, but my only friend, James Witten... he… (choked up) he showed me God!(blurted out, volume escalating) I accepted Jesus in that camp. I wasn't even quite sure what that meant. But Witten.... he was.... so proud of me. (clutching the podium) He was so proud, but... (breathes in sharply, suddenly regaining his composure) they took him away the next day. He only smiled at me and told me he was going home... to his Father. (Pause) They killed him right in front of me. His blood was splattered across a boulder nearby, and pooled in the dirt. I had never been more devastated. Yet I was more resilient, more thankful... (wipes his eyes with the back of his hand, sniffles) A week later I was released, picked up, and brought back home. I visited Witten's family in Washington, and let them know what had happened. That he had died as a man who was more free than anyone on Earth. Because he had God. That's what he would say. He was such a graceful man. Such a happy man. (choked up, swallowing hard) I'm... I'm so glad I was given this chance... this chance to live again. I... I got lucky, but it was more than that.... God was watching over me. (Looks at ROSE) Thank you... and praise God. (He turns, and slowly walks back to a chair on stage that FATHER JEREMY was sitting in. FATHER JEREMY rises, shakes his hand, and returns to the podium.)

FATHER
Thank you, Walker. Your story isn't only an inspiration. It's a sign. A sign that God really is watching over us. It's almost impossible, I think, not to see God in this act of mercy, grace, and most of all, faithfulness. And I'll end the sermon on that note. (Folding hands, bowing head) Let us pray. (Pause) Dear Heavenly Father, we come before you today as a flock. We are the weak, but we are also the faithful. Please help us to stay faithful as Walker did in the terrible wilderness of Vietnam. We thank you for bringing him back to us. We ask that you protect him as he assimilates back into his home. Guide him Lord, and help him. We would like to ask that you also help us Lord, because sometimes it's difficult to stay on the straight and narrow path. Help us to keep our faith in you. Help us to stay on the path of righteousness, and protect us from the clutches of the Devil. In Jesus' name, we thank you, Lord. Amen. (Lifts head and looks out over audience.) Have a good weekend, and may God bless you.

EXIT FATHER JEREMY
(ROSE rushes onstage to WALKER, seizing his arm before he can move very far. They stare at one another. ROSE is in shock, speechless. JIM approaches both of them with JILL in his arms.)

WALKER
(Smiles sheepishly) Hello Rose.

JIM
(Reaching them, astonished) Walker… I’ve heard so much about you. I just can’t believe you’re alive. (Pause of awe, snaps back to reality) Oh, I’m sorry, I’m Jim Lewis. I’m Rose’s husband. (Offering his hand)

WALKER
(Shocked, but taking the hand) Uhhh… (looking between ROSE and JIM) Pleasure.

ROSE
I can’t believe you’re alive.

WALKER
Yes... I was... blessed to get out of there.

JIM
We have to hear everything. Please come to our house for dinner sometime this week. How about Thursday?

ROSE
(terrified) This Thursday?

JIM
Yes. You can come over, have a good meal, you two can catch up, I can get to know you better, relive some war stories, and you can get to know Jill a little better. (looking down at JILL, smiling) When she's not asleep, that is.

WALKER
(Looks at JILL, smiles, touches her) I'd love to.

JIM
Good. We'll see you on Thursday. (Taking ROSE’s hand to tug her away) Bye, Walker! (walking offstage) Thursday!

WALKER
Thursday!(waving)

EXEUNT JIM, ROSE, JILL
Thursday….

CURTAIN

SCENE IV

Setting: Living room. The table is set smartly. ROSE paces back and forth, checking her hair in the mirror, straightening the plates and silverware compulsively. She seems frantic. She’s continuously muttering as well.

ROSE
(Collapsing in a dining table chair) What am I going to do? (Phone rings, ROSE screams and jumps, knocking over the chair. She sighs. Leaves the chair and picks up the phone)
Hello? Hi, Honey. Yes, I- What? Again? Walker is coming over today! Should I cancel? All right. Yes, I’ll save some for you. Well how late are you working? That late, huh? Well you should tell your boss that- Okay. Yes. All right. Okay. I love you too. Mmmhmmm. Bye. (hangs up.) Why did it have to be today, when I needed him the most? Now I'm going to have to host Walker alone. (sighs) Well Jill, your father isn't coming to dinner. He's working late. Again. But he was adamant that we keep our dinner date. So it'll be you and me and Walker. Walker. I still can't believe he's alive. I spent so long believing he was dead. I mean, I never would have even.... No! Faithfulness... faithfulness. I just have to take a deep breath, Jill. It will all be over soon. (takes deep breaths) Oh! I've never been so anxious! Never. (groans) Hey! Maybe he won't come! (doorbell, screams again.) My hair! Oh, dear! (Rushes, trips over chair on the ground, picks it up and EXITS to answer door.)

WALKER
(offstage) Hi.

ROSE
(offstage, breathlessly) Hi. (Pause)

WALKER
(offstage) Uhhh, can I come in?

ROSE
(Nervously) Yeah, please.

ENTER ROSE AND WALKER

WALKER
(Hands behind his back, holding flowers) Smells good.

ROSE
Thank you. Oh, Jim is working late tonight, so he'll be late if he joins us at all.

WALKER
I suppose that's the life of a newspaperman.

ROSE
You don't the half of it. (Silence)

WALKER
I... I brought you marigolds, your favorites. (bringing out flowers)

ROSE
They're gorgeous! (smells them) Thank you. (gazing into his eyes, then nervously breaking off the gaze) Uhh, I need to find a vase for these. I'll be right back, Jill will keep you company.

EXIT ROSE

WALKER
(Turning toward JILL’s crib, sits down in rocking chair.) Hey there, Sunshine. How are you today? You’re a pretty one, ain’t you? Beautiful. Perfect. (Lifts her out of crib, JILL whines at first, but then calms when he hushes her.) Shhhhhh… You want to hear a song? This one is one of your mom’s favorites. (Starts to hum and rock sweetly)

ENTER ROSE with vase of marigolds

ROSE
(smiles, sets flowers on table on the way over, and peeks at JILL’s face) I don’t believe it. She’s fast asleep… She’s usually very shy around strangers. I mean, even Jim took some getting used to.

WALKER
(Looking at JILL) She’s so beautiful. Her eyes sparkle just like yours. (Looks up at ROSE)

ROSE
Yes… I suppose they do. (eye contact, romantic tension, lean in for a kiss, ROSE breaks it off) Well, I had better put her in the other room so we don’t wake her up.

WALKER
(wistfully) Yes.

ROSE
(Taking JILL) I’ll be right back.

EXIT ROSE

WALKER
(sighs.) A little angel, that one. So beautiful. I never thought I’d see something so beautiful. (Pause, looks up.) Perhaps there is a God after all.

ENTER ROSE

ROSE
So, where were we?

WALKER
We were about to bring out that delicious pot roast I smell.

ROSE
Oh yes! (Brings it out, sets it on the table) Pot roast is your favorite, isn't it?

WALKER
I can't remember. It's been so long. So far, my new favorite is the sliders from Mickey's downtown.

ROSE
You used to hate those!

WALKER
I know, what was I thinking? (chuckles) Actually, the only reason I eat them is because of how cheap they are.

ROSE
Are they still bad as you remember them?

WALKER
No, (comic pause) they’re worse. But I suppose they're better than what I had to eat in the service, or the scraps they gave me in 'Nam.

ROSE
I'm just glad that you can eat a good meal now. (Cutting meat, setting it on plate)

WALKER
Me too. Thank you.

ROSE
You're welcome. (Pause)

WALKER
So, your husband.

ROSE
Jim.

WALKER
Right. Jim. Which newspaper does he work at?

ROSE
At the Star.

WALKER
(raising eyebrows) That's a good paper.

ROSE
Yes, but it demands so much.

WALKER
I suppose. (pause) How did you meet him?

ROSE
I went to church. He comforted me when I was crying.

WALKER
So you were vulnerable.

ROSE
(slightly offended) Excuse me?

WALKER
(Blowing it off) Why were you crying?

ROSE
(annoyed) You had just died.

WALKER
(rougher tone) I didn't die.

ROSE
You went missing. It's the same thing.

WALKER
No, it's not. I'm here. Alive. (mild glare) I'm sorry things turned out the way they did, though.

ROSE
What do you mean?

WALKER
I never found a way to send a message home. So I was dead. To you, to the world, (long pause, emotional) to my mother.

ROSE
(clench jaw, purses lips) I'm sorry.

WALKER
(More emotional) You didn’t do anything. It's not your fault.... It's mine. I should be the one who's sorry. (emotions continuing to rise)

ROSE
(firmly) No. There was nothing you could do. There was nothing you did. It wasn't your fault.

WALKER
She never knew I was alive. (choked up) I should have tried to escape. I should have tried harder to get some sort of message to let her know I was alive. (tears) It's my fault she's dead.

ROSE
Don't say that! It wasn't your fault.

WALKER
(pounding fist on table) It is!

ROSE
(softly) No…

WALKER
Why, why, WHY? (Rising to his feet, knocking his plate to the ground)Why do these things happen? (Angrier, then breaks down into sobs) Why didn't I try harder? (falls to his knees, curling his body and burying his face in his hands)

ROSE
(gently) God has a plan for us all, Walker. He is testing us. He is testing our faith. Turn to Him, Walker.

WALKER
No! I.... I don't deserve it!

ROSE
This wasn't your fault, Walker. None of it was.

WALKER
I can't do it.... I can't bring myself to go to Him. I don't deserve his mercy!

ROSE
It wasn't your fault.

WALKER
I can't....I.... (Looking at her) She's dead.

ROSE
(Cradling his head)Shhhhhh.... it wasn't your fault.

WALKER
I... I should have found a way out... I... I should have done something...

ROSE
Hush….

WALKER
(Violent sobs)

ROSE
It wasn’t your fault!

WALKER
Oh my God! (He breaks away, stands up, screaming) What a world we live in! Where the rich get richer and the poor angry men like me get ground deeper into the dirt! That's what this place is: a place where the darkness and bruises of evil swallow up the unfortunate. The kids who are born without a chance are preyed upon by evil and then become addicted to the wicked world. They never get the chance to know what it means to live in a righteous world. They never know love. No! They only see darkness, pain and a crushing desire to feel. Feel anything! Anger! Pain! Hate! They have nothing! Nothing! There is nothing to live for in these worlds. Believe me, I've seen these worlds. Each and every one, and they're all pitiful. Then there's the damn war! All of the forty or fifty men who I knew only wanted to go home! They wanted to go home to a family. To something that was better than the hell they endured, but no. Every one of those men died. They'd have families by now. My God! We were only kids! They were scared, like I was. They were like pigs, sacrificed for a country that didn't deserve them; dragged away to be slaughtered as soon as they came of age! They were dragged away to a place so hellish, hot, terrible, and alive that it would eat him while he's sleeping. There's nothing for it! Then there are the sad bastards who make it back. They've got no home, no mother, and every dream is haunted by the nightmares of the Devil! I don't have anything! You hear me? Nothing! I'm nothing! (Suddenly quiets) I'm nothing... (collapses to the floor, silent)

ROSE
(Rising from her crouch on the floor to kneel beside him, she places a hand on his shoulder, she speaks gently) Walker. You're not alone. You're not gone, you're not insignificant. You are loved. You have the Lord, people who care about you. No one blames you for what happened, Walker. No one blames you and God will forgive you when you ask for His forgiveness. God has a plan and a purpose for you, Walker. He wants you here in his world… I want you here in my world. (WALKER looks at her) Please… (intense moment, lean in, WALKER breaks it off)

WALKER
I…. I have to go. (Pause) I... I have to go. Goodbye. (Rises)

ROSE
Wait! (grabbing his arm) I should go with you.

WALKER
No! (Pause) I need to do this by myself. I just need to pray.

ROSE
(letting go of his arm) Okay... but call me.... if you need me.

WALKER
Thank you, Rose. It's no wonder I... (Strokes cheek)

ROSE
(leans forward) Yes?

WALKER
I… (purses lips) Goodbye, Rose. (Turns to go, but stops) Wait. (Takes out tiny brown box, size of a ring box) Take this, and open it when I’m gone. (Takes her hand and gives it to her)

ROSE
What is it?

WALKER
It’s something for you. Just open it when I’m gone.

ROSE
Why?

WALKER
You’ll understand. (Pause as their hands part.) Goodbye, Rose.

EXIT WALKER

ROSE
(Gazing wistfully after him) Goodbye…. (Glances down at the box, holding it close to her chest, rises and makes her way over to the dining table)

ENTER JIM

JIM
Honey! (Rose quickly hides the box in her apron pocket) I've made it, I convinced my boss to let me go early! (Scans room) Where is he?

ROSE
(stammering) He left.

JIM
Left? Well, I only called you a little while ago. What happened?

ROSE
Nothing happened.

JIM
(considering her suspiciously) Are you sure? What really happened?

ROSE
Nothing, I just- (JILL crying. )

EXIT ROSE, REENTER with JILL
Hush… (walking over to the rocking chair, taking out a pacifier, JILL quiets down)

JIM
(inspecting the flowers) Did he bring these?

ROSE
Yes.

JIM
Too bad they aren’t lilies. Those are our favorites.

ROSE
(Aside) Marigolds are my favorites.

JIM
What was that?

ROSE
I said marigolds were my favorites.

JIM
You always said lilies were your favorites… Why did you tell me that?

ROSE
I love lilies… It’s just that I could hardly look at marigolds.

JIM
Why?

ROSE
Because… He brought them to me every day with a poem… because they were my favorites.

JIM
(approaches her and towers over her) What’s in the box?

ROSE
What box?

JIM
Don't give me that. You know exactly what box.

ROSE
(Stammering) I don't.

JIM
(Slamming his hands on the arms of the rocking chair, screaming.) Stop! Don't! (Jill begins to cry) The box you put in your apron! Walker gave it to you didn't he?

ROSE
I... don't know.

JIM
Rose, I swear if you lie to me again-

ROSE
All right, yes! He gave it to me!

JIM
What’s in it?

ROSE
I don’t know

JIM
Rose.

ROSE
I promise, I'm not lying! I don't know what's in it. I never got the chance to look.

JIM
(Stares her in the eyes, backs off) I believe you.

ROSE
I'm sorry, Jim. (JIM stares silently) I shouldn’t have lied. (JIM continues to stare, ROSE breaks down) I’m sorry, please forgive me! Please!

JIM
(Hard, then softens) All right.

ROSE
I’m sorry… I just promised I would be alone when I opened it… I promised.

JIM
(Offering her a hand up)Rose, I don't want something small to come between us. I don't want us to fight.

ROSE
(takes it, getting to her feet) Neither do I.

JIM
(Smiles) I know, so if you need some time alone, I'll take Jill and we'll leave you alone.

ROSE
Okay.

JIM
All right. (kisses her on the forehead, takes JILL and starts to leave) But just be sure, Rose, that there are no secrets between us.

ROSE
(Smiles) I wouldn’t have it any other way.

EXEUNT JIM AND JILL
Oh my God… (looks down at the box, opens it, gasps, pulls out a golden necklace) My mother’s necklace! I thought it was lost forever. (tears, clutching it to her chest) Oh, my Lord. Thank you! (kisses pendant, looks up) Thank you, Walker. Oh, there’s a note. (pulls out note, begins to read.) “Dearest Rose, I found this on the day I left for the service at the foot of my bed. I couldn't believe you had left it there. It was your most prized possession, but I didn't have the time to return it that day, so I kept it. In fact, it's what kept me alive over there. I'd like to return it to it's rightful place, since it was never mine to begin with, but I owe a lot to your father for the strengthening words he engraved on the front: 'There is no fear in love, but the perfect love casteth out fear.' All I could think of was you when I read these words, these words that I myself can't deny even as I write this. There is no fear in love, Rose. Please remember…" I can’t…(throws it down.) I can’t! I can’t deny it anymore! I can’t deny that I have feelings for Walker. I’m just… I can’t do anything about them! I need somewhere to go! (suddenly silent) Father Jeremy. He’ll know what to do. (Puts on the necklace, runs out the door.)

CURTAIN

SCENE V

Setting: Church, Father Jeremy's office. Desk, facing audience, FATHER JEREMY is sitting at it, and there is a single chair opposite of his desk. A golden cross hangs on the wall

ENTER ROSE, particularly finicky

FATHER
(Cheerfully) Rose! How are you?

ROSE
(Urgently) Father Jeremy, I'm having trouble with a friend of mine. I was wondering if I could consult you.

FATHER
Always! Please sit. (indicating the chair)

ROSE
I’d rather stand. (Long Pause)

FATHER
What seems to be the problem, my child?

ROSE
It's a friend of mine. I'd rather not say her name. I would also be grateful if this could stay in your confidence. And if you didn't tell anyone about this, including my husband.

FATHER

Very well. Your words will stay between us.

ROSE
Thank you. (sighs) What do you know about love, Father?

FATHER
There are many kinds of love, Rose. God's love being the most sacred and abundant. What kind are we talking about?

ROSE
Between a man and a woman.

FATHER
I see. What's the problem?

ROSE
My friend is married.

FATHER
(Chuckles) I can sympathize.

ROSE
Father, I'm being serious.

FATHER
(grins) My apologies. Continue.

ROSE
She's not sure whether she loves her husband anymore. She says she used to believe she did, but now she's just not sure.

FATHER
I see. And what changed?

ROSE
She found someone. Someone she thought she had lost.

FATHER
Someone she loved.

ROSE
Yes.

FATHER
Does she love him now? (ROSE stays silent) Rose.

ROSE
She didn't say.

FATHER
I see. (Stands, turns to look at the cross on his wall.)

ROSE
She's afraid that she's falling for him again, though. And I don't know what to do. I feel really helpless.

FATHER
Yes. (Pause, turns to look at Rose again.)It's quite the predicament. However, the Bible is very clear about this sort of thing. When a man and a woman are married, they become what the Bible refers to as “one flesh.” As such they cannot be separated. The only exception is through God's hand. In other words, death. Those were the vows she took when she entered matrimony. (places hands on his desk) Only death may separate a man and his wife. (gravely, leaning forward over his desk) Only death. (Rose hangs her head, long pause, suddenly) However, this case is not unique. Tell your friend to take heart. And to take refuge with her friends and the church. (Sits, folds hands across desk) Often when a person is unfaithful to their spouse, she is caught under the influence of the Devil. The feeling will pass, though, if she is strong and prays about it. I promise you that if she resists the temptation, that the feeling will pass.

ROSE
But this situation isn't black and white, Father. The decision may not be so clear!

FATHER
(Exploding from chair) The Bible is strict in it's meaning! It does not allow for compromise in these matters! I do not condone any other decision and neither does God!

ROSE
(through Clenched teeth) Thank you for your help in this... matter.

FATHER
(straightening his collar)Indeed, Let your friend know that my prayers are with her. (Rose stays silent) May God bless you always as well.

ROSE
(turns on her heel, flatly) Goodbye, Father.

FATHER
(After her) Rose.

ROSE EXITS
(Intensely worried look appears on his face) Lord, help that poor girl.

CURTAIN

SCENE VI

Setting: Living room, Lewis house, evening. ANDY, the babysitter, is rocking JILL back and forth when ROSE ENTERS.

ANDY
Missus Lewis! (Getting up, setting JILL into her crib) You're back! Mister Lewis has been looking all over for you! I was told to leave a message at his office as soon as I saw you.

ROSE
No... no, I'll do it myself, Andy, thank you. You can go now.

ANDY
Are you sure? Missus Lewis, it will only take a second, I- (taking up the receiver)

ROSE
(angry) You can GO. NOW. ANDY.

ANDY
(scared)Yes, ma'am. (Putting the receiver back)

EXIT ANDY
(ROSE walks over to the rocking chair and sits, looking down into the crib at JILL)

ROSE
I've got nothing else to do, my darling. My heart is sick. I need Walker. I love him. I can't lie to Jim or myself anymore. I have to leave him. I have to. I can't live without Walker. I can't live knowing he's out there, and I'm living with a man I don't love. That's not right. My heart tells me so. My heart calls out for him! (doorbell) Jim. (Rises)

EXIT ROSE, REENTER ROSE and WALKER
(Walking backwards in disbelief) Walker.

WALKER
I need to talk to you.

ROSE
(sinking back into the rocking chair) I need to talk to you too.

WALKER
(Grabbing a chair and setting it across from her, and taking her hands.) You go first.

ROSE
All right. (Long Pause) I love you, Walker. (WALKER’s eyes widen, he opens his mouth, ROSE raises her finger to his lips) Please. Let me finish. I love you…I never stopped. I realized that today. All that time that you were gone, when I thought you were dead, I kept on loving you. Not Jim. Not anyone. Because there's no one in the universe who is right enough to fill this empty space inside my heart. I know this sounds crazy, but I don't need God anymore. I need you. I can't live without you in my life, and I want to stop living this fake life. It just doesn't work anymore. It doesn't work because I'm not afraid anymore, Walker. I have a perfect love for you. Just like my mother's necklace says. I don't need anything or anyone but you, and that would make my life the way it was supposed to be. I realize I made a mistake, but we can run away. We can make it better and start a new and happy life that we were meant to have. Somewhere far away. I don't know where! Just far away where they'll never find us. And we'll spend an eternity together. Forever, Walker. Forever and ever. We'll take Jill with us, and leave tonight. I have enough money tucked away that we could make it. Please Walker. Let's love one another. And be together. Forever…

WALKER
(Long Pause, smiles, squeezes her hands) Rose, if things were different. If times were different. If you weren't married to Jim, then I would accept in a heartbeat. We would go wherever you wanted to go. But when I went to pray after I left you, my eyes were opened. I realized that God is my sustenance. I realized that I had been given a second chance and I had to live it for those who hadn't. I had to live it for God. It's incredible what an epiphany can do. It's incredible what an act of God will do. It has changed me completely. I need to start living the right way, and I can't start my new life with committing adultery with a married woman... (strokes her cheek tenderly) even if I love her. I'll be praying for you, Rose. And I forgive you. I hope you find your way back to God's road. (Stands, Rose grabs his arm with both hands)

ROSE
No… Don't go.

WALKER
I can’t stay. (Pulls away gently) If things were different, my love. If only things were different. (Turns, walks toward EXIT)

ROSE
Walker….

EXIT WALKER
Walker! (Pause) No… (to audience)I can’t believe he’s gone… I’ve lost all faith. I’ve lost all hope. There is nothing in the world that’s truly good or fair! I’m destitute! I’ve been denied by my religion and my love. I don’t have faith in God anymore, because if God loved me, he wouldn’t have let my love walk out that door! He would have saved me from myself! I don’t have any choices. There is no way out… (Pause) Wait… “Only death can separate a man and his wife. (Gets to her feet, opens the drawer by the rocking chair, pulls out a gun) Jim always keeps the .38 in here loaded in case of robbers. Quick access, you know. (Opens it, check chamber, closes it) (to JILL) This is it, my darling. I don't have another choice.... 'If only things were different' as Jim said. (Looks at gun) If only things were different. (Looks back at JILL) There's a lesson to be learned from this, Jill. It's the great lesson of love and life, and I hope it will help you to avoid the mistake that I made. When you love someone, be sure that you live that love. Let it be your air, your power, your will. Because there is no such thing as learning love. If you find yourself in the midst of that, then take the chance to escape from it. Or fight your way out... Live your life with the one that you love, Jill. No one else, because otherwise, it's not worth living. Don't trap yourself, like I did. (Leans forward, kisses JILL) I love you, Jill."

ROSE EXITS STAGE RIGHT

JIM ENTERS STAGE LEFT, scans room, EXITS STAGE RIGHT after ROSE

JIM
(Offstage, screaming) ROSE! (Gunshot)

JILL
(Cries)

THE END