Don't Worry, I'm Still Here..

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Hello? Mom? Can I come home?

As soon as we made it to Candice’s house, Natalie told her that she would show me my room. Once we got there, she turned around and shut the door.
“What are you doing?” I asked her.
“I just wanted to let you know that your once happy life is going to dramatically turn upside down.”
“What are you talking about? My life already turned upside down when my father fell in love with your mother again.”
“True, but after meeting me, things are just going to get worse for you. Unless…”
“Unless what?”
“You do everything I say.”
“I’m sorry. But I’m not doing anything for you.” I said. At that point, I was kind of in a bad mood from a bad plane ride, so I didn’t sound very nice.
“So you’re not going to?”
“That’s what I just said. Who would do stuff for you guys?”
“You’re such a mean boy. I wonder if you get it from your stupid dead sister.”
“Don’t talk about Amethyst.” I started to get upset, but I was fighting back tears.
“Why not?”
“Because what happened to her is none of your business! That’s why not!”
“I heard from your father that she died from a mugger. She must have been mental for wearing stupid high heels to a freaking store. I wonder if you will be like her.”
“YOU KNOW WHAT?!”
“Hey, hey, hey! What’s going on in here?!” My dad and Candice rushed in the room.
“Natalie, honey, what’s going on?”
“I was just trying to be nice and ask what his sister was like so I could cheer him up about her death. But he just kept yelling at me.” If I could curse at her, I would.
“Carter, can you come out here for a minute.” I gave Natalie a quick death glare that said ‘I’m going to kill you’ and walked out. “Sorry, honey, this will only take a minute.”
“No problem, baby.”
“Now Carter, why are you being so rude to them? Do you hate me?” Kind of. “Do you just want the world to just go your way?” Yes. “What is wrong with you lately? You’re not acting like yourself.” Yes I am.
“Dad, I would tell you, but you never listen to me!”
“Carter I always listen to you.”
“YOU DON’T! YOU NEVER DO!”
“Well I’m listening to you now. So what in the world is going on with you and Natalie?”
“Dad! She just lied to both you and Candice! She told me that Amy was mental and that’s why she died! She said that she died because she was stupid enough to wear high heels to the store and that she was just looking for ways to die! Plus, she said that I was going to be dumb as her! And I was telling her not to talk about my sister that way, but she just kept saying bad things about Amy! Dad! I hate it here! I’ve been here for twenty minutes and I’d rather be on a plane going back to Michigan with mom!”
“They are nice people! You just don’t want to accept the fact that they will probably be your new mother and sister! So I don’t care if you like them or not, but you better be nice! Or you’re going to have to deal with some very un-fun stuff with me”
After dad’s big yell, he stormed out of the room and slammed the door. I turned around and decided to just go sit in a corner and not leave. There is no way I am going to say something nice to them. But just in case someone came in to get something, I didn’t want anyone to see me crying about how my dad never listens to me, so I hid in a closet and shut the doors. While I was sitting in there, I could hear people talking.
“So honey, what were you guys talking about? What happened?” I heard Candice ask Natalie.
“God, he is such a little baby! He is older than me and I don’t act as young as him! All I said was that he better watch out for me because life with me won’t be very fun.”
“What else did you say?”
“I was telling him that his precious sister ‘Amy’ was stupid for practically killing herself.”
“Oh I know! I might just lose control of myself if Gabe just continues to talk more about his ‘darling daughter’. But once we get some money from this idiot, we’ll ditch them and be on our way out of Alaska to the beautiful island of Hawaii, where we can continue with this plan to get more money out of suckers like Gabriel.” They don’t love my dad! They just want money from him! And I would tell my dad, but he wouldn’t believe me to save my life. So you know what, if we go broke from these people, he’s going to be by himself, because I’m going to stay with my mother while he lives on the streets with nothing!
So quickly, I jump out of the closet and reach for the cordless phone that was left in the room. I dial my mother’s number so I can ask her if I can come home. There Is no way I’m going to stay here and live with these people. My dad is has gone crazy and these people are crazy enough as it is.
Riiing! Riiing! Riiing!
“Hello?” My mother answers the phone.
“Hello? Mom? This is Carter.”
“Hi honey! Oh my goodness I miss you so much! How are you doing? Is everything ok? Is your father hurting you? How about those people he bragged about? Are they nice to you?”
“Mom, Mom. Chill. But no dad hasn’t hurt me, and no these people aren’t nice to me. I actually called to ask if you could come get me… I hate it here. I’ve been here for thirty minutes, and they’ve already brainwashed dad to be a total jerk! The daughter even called Amy stupid and mental for dying!” I started to cry as I was talking to my mom. “Mom, dad didn’t even believe me when I tried telling him that. Mom, please come get me. I hate it here.”
“Carter! What are you doing!? Who are you talking to?!” Candice opened the door.
“I called my mom! I’m telling her to take me home!”
“You are home!”
“Not with you! You’re a horrible person! I wish you would just die!” Candice took the phone out of my hands and hung it up.
“Get used to it” She said and left.