Laura and Tishona | Teen Ink

Laura and Tishona

By MadelynE. GOLD, Arlington, Texas
MadelynE. GOLD, Arlington, Texas

In the year 1884, the world seemed uncertain . . . . at least, that was the only thing seven year old Laura the orphan could identify with, and since most of the time she was feeling quite dismal, it made sense to her that everyone else should feel that way too. Laura was alone in Siberia, Russia and everywhere else in the world ever since her Uncle Aaron and Aunt Abilene had been wrongfully accused of a crime they didn’t commit. So, Aaron and Abilene, along with their child Star, were put into a dark, gloomy brick walled prison for the murder of Laura’s parents. In the prison, there was only one window that was too small to shed much light in the cell, and it forever reminded them of their hope, too small in proportion to help.

They were the only family Laura had, besides her parents who had died when she was only thirteen months old. The officials found her wrapped in a blood splattered blanket with a note saying her name was Laura, and they locked her up in an orphanage, a prison to all children. Being raised by people who wanted her to grow up quickly, along with a ton of other children, turned Laura into a very curious child. She had no liberty, so she had no choice but to think of ways to break free. These ideas led to thoughts about her long, lost parents. She always wondered why her parents were murdered, but she never moped around thinking she was worthless because she never had them. No, just the curiosity of why.

Because of her always asking why, the orphanage keeper learned to hate Laura‘s independence. So, the orphan’s life was even more miserable than usual. When she got tired of being mistreated, she snuck out of the orphanage in search of a better life. The fifteen year old Laura jumped a train, and later, a ship. Next stop: London, England.

Only one person knew that Laura used these various ways of transportation without paying for a ticket. To Laura’s surprise, the captain of the ship came up from behind and asked to see her ticket. Well, he hadn’t any trouble telling the British officials this bit of information about Laura being a stowaway. He grabbed her and got ready to drag the non-English speaking girl to prison that could not tell them that she hadn’t any money. Laura’s heart was beating rapidly as she kissed her life good-bye.

“Stop!” shouted a voice from behind. “Unhand that young woman!” Laura peeked over her shoulder, terrified so far of her London experience, and for the first time, laid her eyes on the elegant Queen Nicole of England. She wore a long, fluffy dress made of silk. One could tell that only royalty wore those kinds of dresses. Her face was like porcelain, not a blemish in sight, eyes like glass, and perfect curly red hair.

“Your Excellency,” coaxed the captain with a look of fright like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar, “this Russian has defiled the law by not paying to be taken here. Surely you can’t agree with that!”

“Do you dare disobey your queen? Let me have her so she can work out her punishment as my servant!”

Queen Nicole took Laura back to her palace which was a few miles north of London. It possessed thirty thousand square feet with many flowers, pastures for the royal sheep and cattle, and courtyards perfectly manicured. It had three stories of bedrooms, ball rooms, and bathrooms galore. With all the spires and towers, no other palace could compare in size. The queen knew that her new servant couldn’t speak English, so, luckily her Polish servant, Tishona said she would teach her. She was a stout woman with dark hair and a knack for keeping her head down. Her face was hard like she had been through a lot of trouble. Tishona was called a disgrace by society because she was thirty seven years old and never married or had children. The whole city knew Tishona didn’t care about the gossip and the rumors that usually held her as the hottest topic, and for that reason, they had some respect for her confidence and security in herself.

Like a sponge, Laura absorbed what Tishona taught and a close friendship began to blossom. Neither of them knew it, but the most legendary friendship of all was about to take place.

On May 19, 1900, Laura was almost sixteen years old and she finally could speak fluent English. Tishona had been a very good teacher and was constantly praised by Laura, but something else popped up in the prettiest month of spring. There was a shepherd boy named Nathan who also worked at the palace. His hair was a blonde color in a sloppy fashion, a lean body under tattered clothes, and kind eyes. He was just about Laura’s age and he’d been watching her, and she made him happy.

Nathan decided to make his move by bringing Laura a cheap bouquet of roses (Lowly shepherd boys didn’t get paid much). He found Laura and Tishona on a bench drinking tea while on a short break of their regular morning duties. Nathan’s knees shook and his heart pounded, but he knew he must approach Laura, so he kept walking. “Good morning,” stuttered Nathan when he was finally in Laura’s presence. “Uh…um…here!” Nathan dropped the flowers in Laura’s lap and stomped off, muttering how stupid he was to himself. Laura looked down at the flowers. “Roses, my favorite,” she thought.

After the time of the noon meals, Laura went out to the fields where Nathan was. “Hello, I wanted to thank you for the lovely flowers,” Laura smiled. “I love roses. How did you know that they are my favorite?” she said. He shrugged his shoulders, and told her it was just a guess. Laura sighed, “I remember when I lived at the orphanage there was a big rose bush behind the window next to my bed. I used to pick them, and on my darkest days, they were my friends. That was really my only happy memory of the orphanage.”

“Wow, really? What a nice story,” Nathan exclaimed. Their conversation transformed from a flirty, superficial level to a deep companionship. “You deserve them” he said, “I haven’t seen a smile as beautiful as yours in all of London.” Laura was always referred to around town as the “ugly Russian.” She had dark blonde hair which was usually tied back in a bun, and her height laid on the short side. Laura, along with the rest of the maids, wore a long black dress. No one ever noticed her attractive features, such as her blue eyes or red lips. Nathan’s comment not only made Laura smile, but blush as well.

All the royals and townsfolk thought Nathan should marry Laura, except Laura. She didn’t care to be married off like it didn’t matter. Unfortunately Nathan needed to be taught this.

Two months passed before Nathan took Laura to his special pasture again. There was nothing particularly beautiful about it, but when the wind blew just right, Laura felt very special at that moment. Something to do with power, like she had a good handle on her life. She often said that ordinary people didn’t ever get a glimpse of how good that felt. So Nathan told Laura he loved her, confronted her with a ring with a blue sapphire in it, and said the fatal words: “Will you marry me?” Laura choked on the air as she now knew that what she had to say to Nathan would break his heart. “Nathan, I’m sorry, but I don’t love you that way. You are my friend, not my husband to be.” She gave him his ring back and saw nothing else to do, but walk away. “Wait,” called Nathan, “take the ring. Wherever you go and whatever you do, you’ll always know that I love you.” Laura felt as though her heart was in her throat and tears welled up in her eyes as she took the ring and walked away.

Summer weddings were planned for King Waldo and Queen Nicole’s two twin sons, Jacob and Jonathan. Of course, Laura and Tishona, along with the rest of the maids, were to serve food. Laura had been waiting for an opportunity to thank the queen for saving her life. She couldn’t just approach the queen at any time without a harsh scolding, but at the wedding Queen Nicole was open. Laura stood by the queen and said, “Thank you for saving my life and bringing me to work in your palace.” The queen smiled knowing she did it for self-service. King Waldo stood tall next to the queen. His brown eyes soaked as he gawked at his sons and their new wives. He sniffled and whined, “John would’ve loved to have been here.”

“John, sir?” asked Laura, knowing that there must have been some sort of secret behind that name.

“King John II,” continued the king. “He was my eldest brother, and the king before me. He married a pauper girl named Caroline, and they were expecting a child. Everything was well until they started to receive harmful threats from the citizens, so he turned his kingship over to me. I never saw them again. Well, that is until someone hung their dead bodies on the palace gate. However, their baby was never found.” Waldo sighed as Queen Nicole told Laura to get back to work. Laura wondered about John and Caroline all night. One word rolled around in her brain: murder. MURDER…..

Crime. It all started and ended with crime. Slowly, all the money from Parliament, along with the soldiers guarding the money, started to disappear. “Tishona,” said Laura, “based on the crime information, the answer to this problem is quite simple.” Laura devised a plan to surprise the thieves. She presented her plan to the queen and it met with her approval. She also talked with Captain William Henderson, the chief of the guard. He was a tall man with hair so blonde and short, it almost looked white. He had worked with the London Police for fifteen years and had always been a man to keep in line with procedure. Laura found that the thieves burglarized Parliament every two weeks, so one of those weeks the thieves were surprised to be faced with ten soldiers in the vault all armed with swords. The two thieves ran away and they were followed straight to the biggest house in London. The soldiers quickly surrounded the house. One of the soldiers cried out, “Why, this is my father’s house!”

“Your father harbors thieves?” Laura gasped. “That’s illegal!”

The soldiers burst through the gigantic door only to see the thieves looking for a place to hide. “Arrest these men!” commanded Captain Henderson.

“ What is the meaning of this?” a grey haired fat man with a square head came down the stairs and asked. The minute Laura saw him she noticed he had an odd look on his face, a sneaky smile that suggested that he would stab anyone’s back in order to cover up the blood on his own hands. Now that Laura thought about it, his smile was more of a smirk of evil than a smile. She despised him from that moment on.

“Good evening, Sir Daman,” said Captain Henderson politely. “We are here to capture these thieves. Did you know they were coming to your house?”

“I’ve never seen them before. Hasten to get them out of my dwelling!”

The robbers were drug to the palace dungeon as they pled their innocence. “Captain, shouldn’t we investigate this case further?” protested Laura.

“I see no reason to.”

“But the criminals ran to this house. They never hesitated. Why this house?”

“Perhaps because they figured there would be more room to hide in such a large house. You can’t make good decisions while you are running from capture and punishment.”

“That remains to be seen,” said Laura.

“Rest peacefully and know that the criminals that we put in the dungeon are the right and only ones.”

However Laura did not rest peacefully. She tossed and turned thinking partly of the evil Daman and his son Daniel who was a soldier in the king‘s guard, but mostly she thought of her aunt, uncle, and cousin trapped inside Russia. Laura thought if she rescued her family, they would be able to tell her what became of her parents. She had a plan. It was the first step toward truth.

Tishona had beautiful dreams about Joshua, best friend of Daniel, who had flirted with her the night before. So, she was pleased to find Daniel and Joshua there to have tea with the ladies.

“So have you two always been servants here?” asked Joshua. Tishona and Laura exchanged glances, but Tishona was wondering if Laura would tell them her tragic story.

Daniel smiled slyly and said, “Tell us about Siberia, Laura.”

“Wouldn’t you like to know? Shall you report back to your father?”

Daniel gave Laura another sly smile before she rolled her eyes and walked off to the fields. There was something about Daniel she just didn’t trust. She saw Nathan in his shed and knew that he would listen to her complain.

“Nathan!” Laura screamed. “I hate that Daniel! I swear he’s just like his father.”

“Maybe if you could tolerate him, it would go easier for you,” said Nathan.

So Laura brushed off her anger, but she still didn’t trust him.

Later Daniel bumped into Laura and said, “Since you’re here, perhaps you’d like to go to Prince Jonathan’s coronation ball with me. You know how he loves a good party!”

Laura took a long look at Daniel. He had a square head and sly smile that reminded her of his father. Just as she was about to say “no thank you” she thought about how fond Tishona was of Joshua. So on this note, she felt she had no choice but to accept.

The night of the ball, Tishona was dressed in an emerald gown while Laura, who didn’t even want to be there, wore a pitch black dress meant for older women. So at the ball she danced with every man except Daniel. But when it was almost midnight, she had no choice but to dance with him. Just after the dance began, Laura felt herself being swept up into thin air. The same people that said dancing was supposed to feel like you’re floating would have loved to have danced with Daniel. His dancing skill was simply divine. Love? Was it love she felt when dancing with Daniel or was there something in the wine she drank? Laura was somehow hopelessly smitten. She felt that if someone had banged a rock against her head, she still wouldn’t have come to reality. “I must be asleep, or perhaps dead to be thinking these thoughts,” thought Laura to herself. Still in a trance, Laura was led to the magnificent castle’s courtyard. Daniel asked Laura innocently, “Will you be my wife?”

Laura was still mesmerized when she said “Yes.” Daniel leaned in to kiss her, but she awoke and walked away, wondering how she could be so foolish.

“Wed him? The last I heard, you wanted to kill him! Why did you ever do that? When I said to tolerate him, I didn’t mean for you to marry him!” screamed Nathan.

Laura listened in agreement to Nathan’s rants and raves. She knew her choice wasn’t correct, but this made it worse.

“I must agree with him, Laura,” nodded Tishona. “You weren’t too fond of him a few days ago.”

Laura looked at her friend in disbelief, “I mustn’t be all that terrible considering that you’re engaged to his friend.”

Tishona shrugged. “But, I never hated Joshua. What exactly did happen last night?”

“He danced so divinely. It almost wasn’t real. My soul fell asleep for a minute…”

“Yes, well, don’t fall into that again. You must be more careful.”

Laura frowned at this. “What do you mean? Am I not always careful? Are you proposing I don’t know what I’m doing? Because I assure you I do. I don’t need your help,” snarled Laura.

“Laura, dear, I’m not the one engaged to someone I don’t like, let alone love.”

Laura rolled her eyes and walked off as she did so often.

Laura cursed the day she had to have dinner with Daman and Daniel. She just knew the first thing Daman would do would be to smile that sly, creepy smile that Daniel had inherited and say, “I thought you’d rather see me rot in the dungeons, but now we’re almost related.” She was sure of it.

As she stepped into Damon’s house, Laura remembered all her suspicions as she rethought the evidence. She visualized the thieves scattering across the hard floor, proclaiming they weren‘t as guilty as everyone thought. Her thoughts were interrupted and she snapped back to reality when Laura realized the snooty maid had already invited her and Daniel inside.

“Welcome all!” greeted Daman, giving a slight bow. He turned to Daniel, “Well Daniel, I told you to get an ordinary wife, and you brought me the most intelligent woman in town! Well done.” He shot an evil glare at Laura before they sat down to dinner. Laura tried to hold back her instincts to investigate further until after dinner, but she could only think of one thing; how vile Daman was. The dinner carried on quite silently until Laura looked up in sudden awe. “Oh my! I’ve got to go!” She exclaimed.

“Must you leave?” asked Daniel.

“Oh yes. I promised Tishona I’d meet her somewhere. Good evening Daniel…Mr. Solomon.” Laura rushed out of Daman’s home.

“Is she the one, father?” asked Daniel solemnly when they were sure she had left.

“Yes, she’s the one we’ve been looking for.” Daman laughed, but when he laughed it sounded nothing like Daniel’s mischievous one; his was more evil.

Tishona couldn’t help but ask Laura why they were going back to Russia. After all, that was the place Laura escaped from. “If I can rescue my aunt and uncle from prison, perhaps they can tell me about my parents,” explained Laura. “Thank you for paying for our train tickets.”

“I just don’t understand how the royals are letting us leave the palace.”

“I got two other maids to fill in for us; they’ll never know we’re gone.”

There was no more discussion going to Russia after that.

Armed with a pistol and a knife, Laura and Tishona arrived in St. Petersburg. They hadn’t any trouble finding the prison. A fat guard sat on a wooden stool in front of the confines. Laura spoke to him bravely in her native tongue. He chuckled and back spoke with audacity in his voice. Laura drew out her pistol and persuaded the guard to do as he was told. Laura and Tishona disarmed him, cornered him against the wall inside and tied him up. He began his plea in Russian, “Пожалуйста! Пожалуйста, не убивайте меня!” (Please! Please don‘t kill me!)

Laura rushed though the prison doors and yelled out to her aunt and uncle in her native tongue, “Aaron! Abilene! Ответь мне! Я здесь, чтобы спасти вас!” (Answer me! I am here to rescue you!) Nobody answered, so Laura repeated her message. Finally, she started kicking down doors to find which one belonged to her family. A woman sat on the floor weeping in the ninth cell. Two other figures sat hidden in the corners of the room. “Who are you?” she asked.

“Are you Abilene?” returned Laura.

“Yes, but who are you?”

“My name is Laura.”

Abilene’s eyes widened. “I thought you were dead,” she whispered.

Suddenly, a couple of guards burst though the door, along with Tishona. Laura started to fight them off while Tishona helped one of the figures in the corner, Laura’s cousin Star, out the cell. She was so malnourished that she couldn’t even stand by herself.

The guards surrounded Laura knowing she was too weak to defeat them both. One of the guards shot Laura in the leg. Although she fought like an angry wildcat, she collapsed to the ground feeling defeated. Laura held her breath as one guard was about to finish her life when he stumbled onto the ground next to her. She looked up to see a hero-like man in tattered clothes fight off the guards, while Laura worked to pull herself up, but her legs wouldn’t cooperate. They felt as if they were made of lead. Laura realized this hero was her uncle Aaron and although he fought gallantly, it wasn’t enough to save his life. In seconds, he was knocked to his knees and killed. Laura tried to belt out a scream of horror, but only white noise came out. Abilene, who was about to escape out the door, rushed back to her husband’s side and wept her heart out. “I love you,” she whispered to her dear Aaron.

A guard came at Abilene with his knife. Laura, seeing this gathered what strength she had left to avoid another family member slipping through her fingers. Suddenly, the adrenaline rushed all through her body and she felt every muscle she had was a hundred times stronger. Laura grabbed her sword and killed the guard. She turned around and murdered the others as well in a rage of fury. Everything she saw was blood red.

Finally, she looked around and found the tower was draped in blood. Everyone was dead, even Abilene whom Laura tried to protect. Laura collapsed out of exhaustion. Her mind was spinning with thoughts of death, mysteries and her impending dreadful wedding with someone she didn’t even trust. Thanks to Tishona and Star, Laura was taken all the way home.

Star was Abilene’s only child, and she had five years less on age compared to Laura. It was rumored that the reason the Russian police didn’t put her in an orphanage like Laura was because her parents became so annoying in their begging for Star that they finally let her live with Aaron and Abilene. With chestnut hair and deep brown eyes, Star was a beautiful sight for any man, but sorrow was abundant in her eyes and she looked like she wanted to live the rest of her life in exile. When Laura questioned Star about her parents, she answered that she didn’t know a thing, so Laura ceased to speak of it not wanting to cause any more damage to a frightened teenager.

“They are British, Tishona,” she told her friend once. “Abilene didn’t have a Russian accent.” It was clear to Laura now that Russia was the place she was raised, but not her nationality. She was truly British.

The wedding was a week away and Laura felt as wretched as a racehorse with a broken leg. “Why am killing myself with such torture I cannot bear?”

Laura often asked herself. But, Laura had an omniscient notion to go ahead with her plans to marry Daniel. At this point she had two severe character flaws. First was her enamor for trouble as seen when she refused to love Daniel, yet she did not cancel the wedding. Second would be Laura’s brute independence. After Nathan tried to propose to her, the people of London knew more clearly that Laura was too independent to follow anybody’s rules. Although she was faulted for this impossible trait, no one was quick to upset her. This independence would usually describe Tishona as well, but Laura saw clear as day that her friend had fallen deep in love with Joshua. For instance, Tishona claimed she would never marry, in hopes that she would not become another housewife that sat at home all day. But there she stood at the top of the aisle, and publicly displayed her affection towards Joshua and kissed him with her eyes shut. Now Laura knew her friend was done for.

Laura blocked her wedding to Daniel out of her thoughts for it wasn’t a wedding in which one would brag about the beauty and loveliness of it. Laura requested to have the cheapest and worst made cake in the kingdom. It wasn’t moist or delicious at all, and was quite stale. As she did for King Jonathan’s ball, she wore the black old widow’s dress instead of a white, youthful gown. Lastly, she insisted on having the ceremony in an old farmer’s barn right next to the pig pen. Laura took control of the wedding and made sure it was as miserable for her as everyone else. She could stand strong through horrifying situations, because she had an ultimate plan in mind that she revealed to no one. Laura swore her soul cringed when she was forced to say, “I do.”

One autumn afternoon, Laura and Tishona swept the excess leaves away from the south end of the palace. Laura kept a keen eye on Star who sat nearby on a bench. Nathan walked back to the barn from the pastures with his sheep. “Who’s that boy?” asked Star quickly. “That’s Nathan, the farm boy.” replied Laura. Nathan gave a wave to the group, and Laura waved back.

Tishona smiled and rolled her eyes. “I heard a scientist named Shawn Landry disappeared. Looks like another case for us detectives. Maybe we could try to solve it.”

Laura cocked her head back and daydreamed aloud: “Laura and Tishona: detectives extraordinaire.”

Laura and Tishona found it boring as simple married housewives who had abandoned their unwanted jobs at the royal palace. After they were excused from their palace duties one evening, they scaled to the top of a hill on the outskirts of London to investigate a recent missing persons case. Along with Captain Henderson they came to find an abandoned hut, which was said to be where Dr. Landry was last seen. All three of them entered the hut. Inside, everything was out of order and in much disarray. Windows were broken, tables, and chairs were overthrown, and dried blood engulfed the small rooms. Tishona moved over to a window and rubbed her finger against a piece of broken glass. “Very sharp,” she observed, showing Laura and the captain her bloody finger. “This was a recent crime.”

Captain Henderson thought it would be a good idea to divide and search for clues among the hut. The land was like an over-grown swamp that the city tried to ignore; knee high grass with uneven fault lines galore. Laura walked down a dirt path with a million thoughts to keep her mind busy. “What happened to my parents?” she silently thought. “Star claimed Abilene never told her anything. Would she lie to me?” Before Laura started to feel insecure, she clumsily tripped and fell to her knees. She picked herself up only to see a huge gash on her leg. Then she notice a large diamond in her path, halfway imbedded in the dirt.

Laura groaned out of shock and pain until she saw Captain Henderson and Tishona rushing toward her. Their eyes widened at the sight of the glamorous jewel. Tishona admitted, “That could be a motive for Dr. Landry’s murder.”

That same day, the captain’s soldiers came out to the hut and searched it further. They found, not one, but two diamonds and many other small jewels. “Do you know if Dr. Landry had a family that we could talk to about his disappearance?” Laura asked the captain.

“Now Laura! Don’t be so nervy. It isn’t a woman’s place to do detective work. Leave this to the soldiers.” complained the captain. Laura gave him a cold, stern look and backed away. “How dare you!” Tishona yelled. “Tell us about his family!”

“I can’t release that information to you,” said Captain Henderson. Tishona sneered and walked away with Laura.

“Why did you not argue the injustice of that pig?” asked Tishona looking back at him.

“I can prove my worth by solving this case on my own.” Her face lit up and she smiled, “Surely I will.”

Laura’s boots made a clacking sound as she crossed the cobblestone street. She smiled underneath her dark cloak as she gazed upon the food market. After digging into London’s book of records, she finally located Elizabeth Landry, Dr. Landry’s wife. In the average man’s eye, she was quite homely, but she possessed a certain homespun quality that could make anyone truly love her. Laura thought of this as she made her way over to the woman.

Mrs. Laundry was picking out plums for her children when Laura appeared next to her. Laura acted more as the town gossip instead of an investigator that the commoners feared. She asked, “Aren’t you the woman who’s husband vanished?” Elizabeth looked at her then down at the ground

“Yes,” she whispered.

Laura moved in closer. “I wonder what happened,” she looked heavenward as she tapped her chin. “Who in this blessed city would harm the dear doctor? You must know they found blood in his abandoned hut.”

Elizabeth slowly bit onto Laura’s bait as she said, “There is someone that might have wanted to hurt him.”

Laura’s eyes widened as she moved as close as an inch away from Mrs. Landry’s face and asked innocently, “Who?”

Elizabeth swiftly jerked her head back to look at Laura, and this time she had tears in her eyes. “Her name was Rose Smith, the city whore! I found her lip rouge all over his coat!” Elizabeth fell to the ground and sobbed.

Laura had zero tolerance, sympathy, and experience with sobbing women. Unsure of the next right step, Laura walked away with the information she needed.

***

While Laura talked to Mrs. Landry, Tishona had spoken to the London Police and found that a man named Anthony Snipe was a wanted bandit and was last seen stealing the diamond found in Dr. Landry‘s hut. But, even Laura was surprised to hear this crook was also Elizabeth Landry’s brother.

“Another motive for murder?” Laura questioned after hearing her friend’s story and telling her own. Her mind started to wander in ways of its own. She began to visualize a sneaky, lean man, who at twenty five years of age, creeping around a large house. He enters the house, for the door was unlocked. He straps on his midnight black gloves and carefully removes the diamond from the podium in Rose Smith’s home. He glances slightly to the right only to see his sister’s husband gracing another woman with a kiss. He silently gasps and runs off with the diamond before they see him. He plots for the protection of his sister’s honor by getting his brother-in-law alone. Then, when his chance comes forth, he lowers his outlaw’s dagger right into the body of the adulterer repeatedly until he knew he was dead.

Of course, there was also the sweet, homemaking wife. After hearing her brother’s news, she could have easily waited until her husband had been drunk with wine, and then to crash her prized glass book-end on top of his skull.

“But, what of the adulteress?” thought Laura. She was getting what she wanted. Did she have a motive for murder?

“He’s not dead, Laura,” Tishona pointed out after seeing her friend go deep into thought. “Dr. Landry is missing.”

Laura rolled her eyes. “Missing and dead are almost always the same thing.”

Tishona changed the subject. “Have you located Landry’s mistress?”

“Yes,” answered Laura, “but I am tired. Perhaps tomorrow?”

“Yes,” said Tishona. “Let’s meet at my cottage at the noon hour.”

At noon, Laura and Tishona decided it was time to go to Rose Smith’s house. When they found she wasn’t home, they found information from her neighbor that Rose had spent the night with one of London’s finest attorneys. They arrived at the lawyer’s prized mansion shortly. Rose appeared with bright blonde hair up in pins. She draped herself in a low-cut robe and much lip rouge. She was quite rude, and her voice made a crescendo when she spoke. Despite all this, Rose was the prettiest lady Laura and Tishona had ever seen.

“Good afternoon, ma’am,” Laura said politely. “Have you ever heard of a man named Shawn Landry?”

Rose smirked. “Yes, yes. I was his mistress.” The way she said it sounded as if she took pride in being an adulteress, or he was just one more trophy of her sexual prowess.

“Did you know he disappeared?” questioned Laura.

Rose raised her eyebrows. “I’d say that tramp of a wife he has would know a little more than her share. She was furious when she heard about the good doctor and I. She wouldn’t think of divorcing him; that would ruin her reputation as a good girl.”

Laura cocked an eyebrow. “And murder improve that reputation?”

Rose smiled overenthusiastically as she played with her short, curly hair. “It would if nobody knew.” Seeing there was no more to be done, Laura and Tishona said their good-byes and left.

***

“I don’t believe she’s guilty. Rose doesn’t have a motive for murder.” Laura explained to Tishona. They relaxed in Laura’s cottage as they discussed the case.

Tishona shook her head. “There has to be something unclean about that Rose. I can feel it.”

“Of course there is. She’s an adulteress.” Laura pointed out.

“She’s sly and you have to admit she’s hiding something.”

“What about Landry’s brother-in-law? He sounded like the ideal suspect.”

“No. He is a thief, not a murderer. That boy would never commit a crime this great.”

“I spoke to Elizabeth. She was quite upset about her husband’s affair. She would have a perfect motive for murder.”

Tishona was about to contradict Laura’s theory when Nathan came through the door. “Captain William found Dr. Landry’s body,” he exclaimed.

Laura jumped up. “Where?” she demanded.

“In a shallow creek not far from that shack you searched.”

Laura burst out of her home and ran to the location while her friends trailed behind.

Laura ran to the scene as fast as she could until she was plum out of breath, and when she arrived, soldiers were gathered around the dead doctor’s body. She pushed her way through the crowd until she saw the conspicuous evidence that would have the town buzzing: red lip rouge ensconced the crime scene. She gazed off to the side and could almost picture Rose dragging Dr. Landry’s bloody body down to the creek, and working swiftly to find any kind of mud, tree branches, or debris to cover the blood she had spilt.

Suddenly, Laura felt herself being picked up and carried away from the sight of the body. She kicked and screamed until she was put back on her feet. She looked up to see Daniel. “You should not be here Laura!” he shouted violently. “It’s not your place!”

Laura scowled and screamed even louder, “THIS IS MY PLACE! I AM A DETECTIVE, AND I KNOW WHO KILLED DR. LANDRY!”

Every eye turned to her. Captain William came rushing towards Laura as she explained her words. Soon, a plan was formed to crack the case.

***

The palace dungeon was quite a depressing place. There wasn’t any color or shades of hope, just a dull gray. So, when the recently widowed Elizabeth Landry and Rose Smith appeared in the dungeon for an interview with Tishona and Laura, no one was smiling. Tishona stood in front of both of them. “Do both of you ladies wear lip rouge?” she asked. Both nodded yes. She turned to Mrs. Landry. “Did you have anything to do with your husband’s death?” Tishona snarled.

Elizabeth gasped. “Why would I? I loved my husband!”

“You didn’t love him too much after you knew he was an adulterer. Isn’t that right?”

“Well, no, but I forgave him!”

“Yeah and you sealed this forgiveness by murdering him, right?”

Tishona grilled her to a crisp until Elizabeth was speechless. She knew Tishona was right, but how could she prove her innocence? Rose was silently sitting in her corner, trying not to let out a big, ugly smirk. She knew she had won her game…

Laura and a group of soldiers marched through the door’s threshold and up to Rose. “Rose Smith, you are under arrest for the murder of Dr. Shawn Landry,” she announced.

“What?” protested Rose, standing to her feet. “I did no such thing!”

Laura handed her a crumpled piece of paper. “Read this. It‘s a letter he was going to give to you.” Rose scanned over it wearily.

“What does it say?” Laura asked, already knowing the answer.

Rose frowned and mumbled, “He didn’t want me anymore. He was going to apologize to his wife and try to stay married.”

“What do you have to say about that?”

Rose started to cry, “He was mine! He was supposed to marry me! ME! He told me that as long as I stayed with him, I would never feel worthless again! He lied! So, I slit his throat while he was sleeping!”

After Rose had been drug away to jail, Captain William rushed to Laura. “How did you find the letter?” he exclaimed.

“I made it up,” Laura smiled. “I knew that if I presented her with proof, Rose would admit to the murder. It was a big risk.”

The case had been solved, and Laura and Tishona were finally recognized as detectives. The king swore them in as officers under Captain William, pardoned them from their palace duties, and they soon became the most popular women in society.

Laura gave birth to her first daughter Alisha in January. Five years later in December, Tanya was born to Laura as well. In the same year, Tishona had her daughter Summer in July, and Keya in the following June. Shortly after Keya’s birth, Nathan married Laura’s cousin Star, and two years later, Star gave birth to her daughter Sara. Things seemed to be getting easier for Laura and her friends. Little did they know.

Eleven years later…

Laura crawled through a red desert as sweat and possibly blood dripped down her forehead. Every step she made was poignant for the hot sand put blisters on the palms of her hands and knees. The sand storms were terrible and when she finally achieved a lengthy distance, sand was blown in her eyes. Blindness overcame her at once as she was knocked right back to where she started. Laura wept painful tears until she felt someone coming near her. A man in robes stood before her. “Awake, Laura.” he summoned. “Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!”

The nightmare ended when Laura woke up out of breath. Laura ran out of her bed to light a candle. She searched her room, but nothing or no one was there. Finally, she sat on her bed in defeat. What had gone astray? She had had that dream for three weeks straight, but the misery hadn’t started until just recently. It had been such an awful long time since she had laughed or even smiled. She found weeping herself to sleep becoming the normal nighttime ritual. Nothing was the same anymore. “What ails you Laura?” Tishona had once asked. “Don’t you have the most envied position of work? Don’t you have two lovely daughters? What other treasures could you possibly crave?”

“Mother?” Laura turned around to see seventeen year old Alisha standing in her doorway.

“Why are you up out of bed?” Laura asked with irritation in her voice.

“Why are you?” returned Alisha coldly.

Laura stared at her daughter in the hall with her lamp but only saw a complete stranger in her house. “We grew apart, but that wasn’t supposed to happen,” thought Laura to herself. “What happened to us?” Everything has changed; it wasn’t a stage or phase. Her daughter looked at her mother with a genuine disgust. She hated her.

When Laura failed to have the decency to answer her daughter, Alisha turned around, not wanting to stay any longer in the same room with her mother. She stopped and turned around once more to ask, “When will father come home?”

Laura had already blown out her candle and was in bed. “Soon. He‘s still away on duty,” she said. “Now go to bed.”

Alisha scowled at Laura while she had her back turned and walked away. She wished her father would stay longer. At least he paid some attention to her. Her mother tried to stay late at work just to avoid coming home. All Alisha really wanted was parents that cared enough to stay around. How could she cope with a mother who didn’t love her enough to stay married?

***

Summer sat as she worked away at her needle point. She loved doing it, but it always made her remember how her younger sister Keya hated sewing because she was getting stuck by needles and always managing to get the threads tangled up. She also remembered her mother doing cross-stitch on the night they found out her father was dead. Ironically enough, it was a sunny day when the man in a black suit and tall hat appeared at Tishona’s home armed with a gun with a bayonet attached, a helmet, and a London soldiers’ patch on the right arm. Summer was only six years old when Joshua died, and she remembered every detail, but most of all, she remembered her mother crying herself to sleep for weeks. That was the first and last time Tishona. Now, Tishona had erased the horrifying moment from her memory and never spoke of it. Keya was too young to remember, and the town didn’t mention it. It was as if Joshua had never existed.

Tanya came through the door and interrupted Summer’s work. The two girls had always been close friends probably because they were both the same age and the their mothers were friends. Tanya and her family had always accepted Summer and Keya’s dark skin. After their marriage, Joshua had confided in Tishona that his great grandfather was married to an Indian woman. The darkened skin had skipped over Joshua and prevailed in his daughters. Summer had always hated the color of her skin and did not wish to stand out the way she did. However, Keya, confident and outspoken, loved her culture and had a list of cross words to say to anyone who didn’t.

Tanya was the imaginative, creative one of the bunch, a skill she obtained from her mother. She often enjoyed reading, and sometimes writing romance stories and intrigues. Anyone who knew her knew she was dying to be wrapped up in her own love story. “Let us go and find an adventure!” exclaimed Tanya. Summer smiled as she followed her friend out the door and through every nook and cranny London had to offer.

Laura sat wearily at her desk with a pencil in her mouth and a bored look on her face. After Dr. Landry’s murder, crime had seemed to decrease by the week until England was completely crimeless. Detectives and soldiers alike, including Tishona, stopped coming to work all together. Even Laura only came to work part of the time and sometimes wished for crime just so she’d have something to do. The young telegraph boy rushed through the door and gave Captain William a slip of paper. Laura looked up and begged for it to be crime.

“Laura?” William’s booming voice echoed through the building. Laura’s eyes widened. Has a mystery finally found me? she asked herself.

“Your cousin sent a telegraph summoning you at once.” Laura looked downcast as she made her way to Star’s house.

***

Star sat at a table in the parlor, waiting for her cousin. Laura walked in and took her seat across from her. Laura assumed Nathan was tending to his sheep out in the fields; she hadn’t seen him in a while and was a little disappointed he wasn’t there. Laura also assumed that their daughter Sara, who was the same age as Tishona’s youngest daughter Keya, was with her father. She stopped to remember Sara, shy, quiet, and polite (unlike her own daughters), never would hurt even a fly, homespun, and an all around sweet little girl. Laura never could understand how Star’s home was always clean corner to corner and inch to inch. Laura refused to live in an absolute pigsty, yet she didn’t see the necessity of making her home spotless everyday from dawn until dusk. Every time she entered Star’s cottage, it always possessed this pristine factor that wasn’t evident in Laura’s home. It was only a small, simple home, but it showed that Star took great pride in making her house look classy. Even Laura, who after walking on the wood floors in her muddy riding boots and leaving a few granules on the floor, felt the need to sweep the dirt that she tracked in. Star encouraged her to sit instead with grave eyes.

“I have a confession to make,” she paused and sighed. “I lied such a long time ago when I told you and that Tishona woman that I knew nothing of your parents. My mother grew me up with stories and almost fantasies about her younger sister Caroline, a poor, homeless beggar woman with no husband, occupation, or place in society. One day, fate had it that she acquired a job selling French bread on the streets, and every week on Friday evenings an affluent looking man would come by and purchase seven loaves of bread and gave Caroline a rose every time. At first, the roses were white, but as time passed the tint of the roses grew deeper and their relationship grew closer. So after six months of this same pattern, the man invited her to come to dinner at his house. It was then that she found out that the man was the crowned prince of England. I thought she was joking at this point, but my mother continued as she told about their immediate marriage and even quicker child. Late in the pregnancy, they both started getting letters threatening their home, their lives, and the life of their child. They decided to leave England for a while until things died down a bit and asked my mother, my father, and me to accompany them. You know the rest. The man behind the threats tracked down and murdered your parents- I don’t know who he was, but I’m pretty sure he was a distinguished man in London society. I don’t know why he didn’t do away with you as well. That’s all I know.”

Laura was flabbergasted. “Why wasn’t I told this earlier?”

Star looked down and forced air through her lungs once again. “I must admit I resented you for some time. My parents were killed all at once. Bang! Bang! Like lightening. Life wasn’t great in prison, but it wasn’t chaotic either. You explode back into my life and my parents are dead. The minute I saw you Laura I knew you were more wittier, more mystic, more beautiful, more powerful, and more sharper than I could ever be, and I was jealous. But I have changed since then, Laura. I found God, love, and mercy in the past eleven years.”

In a sudden burst of rage, Laura thrust over Star’s glass parlor table. It hit the floor and shattered into small pieces as Star sat shivering and glued to her chair, unaware of what Laura would do next. “YOU WITHELD THE TRUTH ON GROUNDS OF RESTENTMENT! God, love, mercy, my foot! I should have known that whoever came up with that line of Jesus the Messiah lies would be none other than selfish, cruel, and evil people just like YOU!” Laura stomped out of the cottage immediately to Tishona’s house with intentions of reporting to her everything.

“Mother! Mother! Wake up!” Another dream? thought Laura silently in her sleep. She finally opened her eyes to see Tanya with a dreadful look on her face. “Mother! You must awake! Captain William is at the door. He said it’s urgent that you come with him.”

“Its midnight, Tanya,” mumbled Laura as she closed her eyes again. “Tell him I will see him in the morning.”

“Laura,” William, who had no trouble at all inviting himself into the house, appeared at the doorway to her room, and Laura strained her eyes to see him. He looked hazy as if he walked out of a dream. “Your cousin Star and her daughter Sara have died in a train accident,” William said unemotionally. Laura sat up in her bed and wished she hadn’t have begged for a crime. She dressed quickly and, upon leaving, saw Alisha out of her bed staggering in the hall out of sleepiness and ordered her to stay with her sister.

The blood was spread all over the tracks. The stench of death hovered in the air as a storm of tears fell at the scene from the people that remembered the dead woman and her child. Nathan and Laura wore very grave and depressing faces but did not have the strength to cry. She couldn’t erase out of her mind the look Nathan had on his face when a detective pulled an arm out from under a train wheel. Captain William joined Laura as she leaned up against the train station wall. She pulled a little tin of tobacco out of her bag along with a small square of paper to roll herself a cigarette. When the smoke ran down into her lungs, she found the muscle to calm her shiver. “I am very sorry for your loss” he sighed, looking off into the horizon. “I remember when…” he looked down then back up with a colder face. “…my beloved sister hung herself. It was the worst experience I’d ever felt. Loss. Grief. Guilt. I promised myself I would never trust my heart to another human being. Your heart will never break if its made of stone.”

Laura slowly turned her head toward William. “Thank you for sharing that with me,” she said, almost sarcastically. He nodded and asked, “Where were you at the time of the crime?” All Laura’s detective alarm sensors went off. “What?” she asked in bewilderment.

“You know what. Because you are, or were, cousins with the victim, you are now a suspect. And, from what I heard you two had a fierce argument just before she died.”

Laura gasped, “Well, you know I was asleep. You saw me!”

“Yes, but I don’t know how long you were there or who you hired.”

“Captain, you are talking to me as if I were a criminal.”

“The other detectives and I believe someone pushed Star and her daughter in front of the train when she came to this station after receiving this letter.”

He held out a slip of paper. It read:

“I met you when you were a small child

In the middle of a tragedy.

If you don’t come to the train station at 11:00 PM,

What happened then,

Will happen again.”

“This is your letter, isn’t it Laura?” interrogated Captain William.

“I didn’t write it! I’m the best detective in London, and you know it! You know me!”

“Do I?” he squinted his eyes and reached for his handcuffs just as Nathan, who had been listening the whole time, approached Captain William.

“How dare you speak that way to her! Do you not recall she is the one who rescued Star from a cruel Russian prison? Laura has greatly helped society in the time she has been here!”

Laura glared at William coldly. “Don’t bother Nathan. I quit! If I can’t have my rights as a respectable detective, then I won’t be one at all!” Laura stomped off with wrath in each footstep.

***

By the time she was home, Laura agreed to herself that she would get home and recline her body while drinking hot tea. Much to her demise, Daniel was sitting on the porch steps. “Oh, Laura. I’m back from war. I heard a nasty rumor about your cousin’s death. Say it isn’t true.”

Laura rolled her eyes. “The rumor is correct.”

They entered the house together, and a moment later, Alisha ran out of her room with an ear-to-ear smile, one she would never give her mother. “Father! Father! You’re home!”

“Go back to your room child. Your father and I have more things to discuss.”

Alisha scowled at her mother. “No! I will greet my father whether you like him or not!”

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. After sacrificing her job for her dignity and dealing with her awful husband, Laura had had enough. “GO AWAY! I HATE YOU! I CAN‘T DEAL WITH ALL THIS STRESS!”

The room was dead silent. Nobody spoke, moved, or took in a breath for two whole minutes. Then, Alisha stepped away from the scene and out the door with tears in her eyes. “You just can’t stand me, can you Laura?” sighed Daniel, without his usual comical smirk.

“No, I really cannot,” replied Laura, without humor.

“Why don’t you just divorce me?”

“You know perfectly well why not. We have two children.”

“That doesn’t seem to bother you now,” Daniel retorted.

Laura whipped around and pointed at the door. “Get out of this house! I don’t care if you come back dead or you don’t come back at all! Just leave!”

Daniel left Laura in an empty house. The minute she was alone, guilt flooded her mind. She wished she wouldn’t have yelled like that to Alisha, but she didn’t have the integrity to say she was wrong. She was alone; she couldn’t relax but just sit in misery.

A month slipped away from Laura without contact from Alisha or Daniel. Daniel left the country for duty in Germany, and Alisha managed to stay out of the house when her mother was in. Needless to say, Laura had gotten quite comfortable and had been almost happy. But, the awful look on Alisha’s face when she had yelled at her put Laura right back down.

It was a harsh cold day. Laura and Tanya along with Tishona and her children were drinking a hot beverage. Tanya and Summer were laying on the ground playing some childish game. Keya kept score and made sure no one cheated. Laura and Tishona sat upon the couch and laughed more than anyone would expect them to do, when the man in black knocked upon Laura’s door. The ladies got the worse side of fate that night. When the man in black came to their door, no one predicted it was going to be a jovial visit.

“Good evening, Mrs. Solomon,” monotoned the man.

“Cut the prologue. Please just tell me your message,” hurried Laura.

The man sighed deeply. “I am very sorry to report that your husband has been killed in the line of duty. You can pick up his belongings tomorrow at the courthouse. I am very sorry for your loss, ma’am. Goodnight.”

Laura’s last words to her husband burned in her heart. I don’t care if you come back dead. I don’t care if you come back dead. Over and over she heard what she said and what she didn’t say. She suddenly became dizzy. She didn’t cry but just felt sick about the whole thing. Tanya wept, and Summer and Keya tried to comfort her but ran out of words to say. After some point, everyone ran out of words.

***

Alisha finally came back home and locked herself in her room when she heard the news of her beloved father’s death. At the funeral, barely anyone cried; mostly people wore their solemn masks, instead. That’s just how it was at Joshua’s funeral, Laura remembered. No tears or wailing. Just silence and depressed faces.

After the funeral, Alisha sat on the steps behind her house. When Laura found her, she knew she must apologize to her daughter. She could not bear the guilt for her husband’s death and Alisha’s pain as well, so she sat down next to her.

Laura never thought she’d be afraid to speak to her own daughter. Several minutes flew by and neither Alisha nor Laura knew what to say.

“I am very sorry,” Laura broke the silence, “not only for the facts of today, but for what I said to you a month ago.”

Alisha rolled her eyes. “Do not lie to me, Mother, not today. You know you didn’t love my father, and you certainly don’t love me,” she snorted.

Laura turned to her with heavy tears in her eyes. “I never had a father. He was taken from me. You had Daniel for seventeen years! Regardless of my feelings towards him, you should be grateful.”

“Stop lying to me!” Alisha cried and stood up. “I didn’t have a father. He was always gone on soldier duty, and when he came home, he acted like he wanted nothing to do with me! You are always WORKING and leaving me home with Tanya! Everybody thought I just coped on my own without any help, but I can’t take it anymore! Nobody takes interest in ME!”

She buried her hands into her face and cried. Laura put her arms around Alisha. “It will be alright. Hush. All will be well.” Laura whispered as she rocked her daughter back and forth. Alisha hugged her mother and kissed her cheeks. “We will leave this place and find a new home elsewhere,” declared Laura.

The two women left that dark world behind and were doing what mothers and daughters had been doing for centuries: starting anew.

Laura was able to fit all of Tanya’s, Alisha’s, and her stuff into one trunk. None of them was dreadfully vain, so all their belongings were able to fit comfortably. Nathan lugged the trunk to the train station and asked her while her children boarded the train, “Why must you leave?”

“Change is for the best,” answered Laura as she said to Tishona before she left for the train station.

“I shall miss you Laura,” Nathan said. She could tell he was still depressed over the death of Star and Sara. She gave him a hug and said good-bye.

When they got to Dover, Laura found an inn for her family to stay and put their luggage. After they stored their clothes, they all went down to the seaside to see the water. The people were numerous, and the crowd would suffocate you with anxiety if you detached from your group. Laura would have never abandoned her children if she hadn’t seen the sight she saw. She saw Daniel’s father, Daman, and Tishona’s supposedly dead husband, Joshua, rowing a canoe!

Laura gasped and almost fainted. I must get a closer look, she thought. So, she sat her daughters down on a wooden bench and ordered Alisha, “Stay with your sister. I will be back.” She got a s close as she could to the shore to confirm her suspicions: Daman is here, and Joshua is alive.

Laura sprinted away as fast as she could over to the bench, but she stopped dead in her tracks for the second time that day. Alisha was laying on the ground unconscious with blood rushing out of her leg, and Tanya was no where to be seen. She turned right around and bumped into a tall man. Laura found herself looking into Daniel’s rich brown eyes. He smirked slyly and whispered in her ear, “I’ll meet you in the courts at home and maybe you‘ll find Tanya there.”

When Daniel turned his head, he disappeared into the consuming crowd. He and Joshua had faked their deaths. Laura had wrapped up Alisha’s leg in cloth and sat anxiously in the doctor’s home in Dover. Her heart thumped, and she covered her face as she waited for the results on Alisha. Laura had contacted the police in Dover and London about Tanya’s disappearance, but no news had come. Laura felt the need to go back to London with Alisha; it was time to fight.

Midnight blue encompassed the palace courtyard, and everything was just a shadow, a haze. Armed with swords, Laura and Tishona knew they were entering the innermost cave of something they had always subconsciously feared: death and, even more so, defeat. They stayed quiet for some time, meditating in their whole purpose for this big risk. Suddenly a lantern was lit, and there stood Daman and Joshua, also armed with swords, ready to battle. They split up into pairs, Joshua against Tishona and Laura against Daman. Halfway through the duel, Laura said, “I want you to admit that you killed my parents Daman.”

He played dumb for a moment, “Excuse me?”

“Don’t play coy with me. I did my research. You were my dad’s best friend. You two went to the university together and worked together for years! But you couldn‘t handle that he was a royal, and you were a nothing!”

“And he married that filthy pauper just to show me he could. He used it like he had something over me, so I got back on top alright. I made sure I came out the best man. Just like right now, I get the sweet pleasure of coming back and making my enemy’s daughter suffer!” Daman made a lunge for Laura’s heart, but she was too quick and blocked him before he ever got a chance to hurt her. She took a faint glance over at Tishona’s battle and saw that she had injured Joshua so that he could not walk, rescued Tanya, and started to make a run for home. Laura thrust down her sword and sped to the back of the courtyard into the forest. She heard Daman scream, “Don’t just stand there! KILL HER!” But she was to busy running to hear the hoof beats behind her. Laura ran out of the woods and over the train tracks that stood behind the forest. Only there was one problem: Laura’s dress was ensnared on an uprooted nail. She fell flat on her face atop the tracks. When she found the strength to pull herself up, a black horse burst out of the forest while rearing its front legs up and prepared to charge her with death in its eyes. None other than Daniel rode the evil steed. Laura buried her face in her lap hoping death didn’t hurt as bad as she anticipated. Fortunately, she didn’t receive the chance to find out for another horseman came by and swooped her up. Laura’s eyes were sealed shut wondering if she was dead yet. When she took a brave peek, she found herself to be at Tishona’s house, safe and sound.

Laura looked up into her savior’s sapphire eyes and realized they were the most beautiful eyes she had ever seen. When she got off the horse, she saw the eyes belonged to Nathan. “Nathan!” gasped Laura, not seeing Tishona loping back from her cottage with Tanya. “What are you doing here?”

“I heard about your daughters,” answered Nathan, “and saw you leaving the doctor’s home. I wanted to make sure everything was okay. Seems I came at the right time.” He gave her one of those charming lopsided smiles, and Laura’s heart missed a beat. She never saw how much Nathan really cared about her before.

“I’ll take Alisha home from the doctor’s house,” offered Nathan.

“That would be wonderful. Thank you.” Nathan galloped off to fulfill his promise, and Laura watched him all the way.

***

For now, Laura’s cottage was at peace. Alisha’s leg had been finely nursed by the good doctor. Tanya rooted around the kitchen to help her recuperate from the drama of being kidnapped while Laura talked to Nathan. “What made you come back?”

Laura shrugged, “I had some unfinished business.” She paused for a while and then thanked Nathan, not only for rescuing her but coming to her defense when Star was murdered.

Nathan smiled. “Did you really quarrel with Star on the eve of her death?

“Well, yes. She held information about my parents from me, so how was supposed to act? Daman and Daniel could have been behind bars a long time ago if it wasn’t for her. Perhaps I overreacted, but it wasn’t fair of her to throw in that bit about ‘finding God.’ It wasn’t enough that she withheld crucial information, but she also had to throw God in my face like I‘m not good enough just because I do not attend to church!”

Nathan chuckled lightly then answered, “God isn’t just about going to church. I think you have the wrong idea about the whole thing.”

“And what if I don’t? Everyone I know that goes to church prove to be rich snobs.

“Oh, please Mother,” interrupted Tanya, who was finishing up her snack. “Alisha, Summer, Keya, and I go every week!”

“Tishona lets her children go to church? She believes like I do,” said Laura.

“We…uh…go before you two wake up.”

Laura sighed and rolled her eyes. This would be a great time to make-up with her daughters. They obviously trusts church, thought Laura. Laura sighed again as she knew she’d have to give up her pride for her kids, no matter how much it would hurt her pride.

All four girls had to admit they felt uncomfortable on Sunday morning. They had always snuck out with out any parental control, which gives all children the exciting adrenaline rush of being independent. However, this time Laura walked closely behind the girls, preventing them from talking about whatever they wanted without her listening in. Instead of sitting in the front as usual, Laura had her pick in sitting in the last pew and out of public view. She looked around at the people in a way that the girls knew she was making a colossal list of judgments.

Everyone knew Laura didn’t want to be there, but a miracle was displayed that Sunday. As the preacher talked of insecurities, wanting more out of life, she realized something special: he was talking about her. The man in the red desert from her dreams was correct, she needed to wake up. Laura listened on to hear the cure. “Jesus Christ can fill the emptiness in your heart,” shouted the preacher. “He can restore your relationships and your life.”

Jesus, huh? thought Laura. She looked down the row at her two daughters. She thought of Daniel. Then, she knew how much she could use restoration in her life. How desperate she was to get it? Ok, Jesus, thought Laura again, I shall try your way of life. She suddenly felt relaxed, as if the weight she felt since birth had been lifted from her shoulders. Then Laura knew God worked.

***

Laura leaped into Tishona’s cottage after church. She was excited to tell Tishona all about the love and joy she had recently found. Tishona eyed her up and down. “You look dressed up. Just get out of church?” she cackled. Laura held her breath, still a little nervous of what her old friend would say. “Actually, I did.”

Tishona’s smile vanished and her eyes widened. “Why?” she asked in horror.

“I need to restore my relationship with my daughters. I told you about how I yelled at Alisha, and I pretty much ignore Tanya. I think God can help me love them again. And, as much as I dislike him, I need to restore my relationship with Daniel for Alisha‘s sake. In church, I felt… happy and welcomed for the first time.”

Tishona rolled her eyes. “Laura, the church-going socialites are trying to make you into one of them. It’s already working! They are hypnotizing you into believing in that ‘Jesus nonsense.’ Don’t let them have you!”

“Tishona what you’re saying is the nonsense. These people really know what they preach.”

“I thought you were smart, had a true soul, and didn’t let the crowd push you around. Now you believe what they think? The people we’ve been fighting against all along? Be independent!”

“I am tired of fighting. When you love God, everything isn’t a battle anymore. I can finally live in peace.”

Tishona growled. “Well, just because you’ve lost your mind doesn’t mean I have to. Now, I received a message from Joshua saying he’d meet us tomorrow at midnight at the old theater for another duel. Be there and bring your Bible! Maybe that will protect you from a stab wound!” Tishona cackled heartily as Laura sulked out the door, regretful that her long time friend had missed the point.

Alisha sat at the kitchen table, and Tanya knitted a crafty project. Laura walked in and sat down next to them. “I used to knit all sorts of things for the royal family when I was a servant at the palace.”

Alisha gasped and looked at her mother in awe. “Really?”

“What kind of things?” inquired Tanya.

“Oh, scarves, sweaters, socks made from Chinese silk. But, we maids had to do them quickly. Prince Jonathan was quite impatient. Oh, but he sure was fun.” The girls giggled for a second and went back to work. They were silent again but only for a moment. “Girls,” started Laura, “First, I want to make amends to you two for putting my work and my emotions before you, and I hope you will forgive me. I want you to know that when I meet your father tonight, I’m going to apologize and try to repair our marriage. If he doesn’t want to, it was not meant to be. But, I promise I will try to make it work.”

“Aww Mom! That is so sweet! Of course I will forgive you!” exclaimed Tanya. Alisha passed her mother a simple smile, letting Laura know she never again would hold harsh feelings against her.

***

Laura found Nathan in their favorite pasture. Even though the weather was quite cool, he was still all sweaty from work, but he still looked hotter than ever. “I want to thank you, Nathan, for saving my life twice.”

He smiled, “So, you enjoyed church?”

“Oh yes! Although I believe I lost my best friend over it.”

“Tishona?”

Laura nodded as Nathan expressed his remorse. She smiled and gave him a sly look. “Do you remember your wedding?”

Nathan chuckled. “How could I forget? But it hurts to remember, especially now.”

“I remember Star. Her face lit up every time you looked at her. That was her glory day. I cried like a baby afterwards. It broke my heart when you married Star, plain, old Star. The love of my life married my older cousin, and she was happy. It finally occurred to me that you had already moved on.”

“I cried like a baby at your wedding,” Nathan replied. “I hated seeing you unhappy. I would toss and turn at night praying he wasn’t beating you.”

“No, he would never do that. He was my husband but never my lover.”

Nathan moved in closer to her, intrigued by what she was saying. “I still have that ring you gave me,” Laura said as she held up her hand.

Nathan smiled. “I kept my promise. I still love you.”

“I’m afraid I’ve fallen in love with you after all these years,” she whispered. He leaned forward in hesitation and held Laura’s lips in between his as they gave into a passionate kiss. Laura felt bursts of fire exploding in her head. She was in love for the first time.

Suddenly, Laura pushed him away. “I’m still married,” she said. “I need to keep that for my daughters. I’m sorry.”

“I am sorry, Laura. You shouldn’t be fighting, though. You might get hurt or die. I couldn’t bear that. I shall come with you.”

“No, this is between Daniel and I.”

“But what if--”

“I can handle this,” expressed Laura.

Her eyes welled up with tears. “I love you, Nathan.” She hugged him good-bye. Laura wept knowing she would never be with the one she loved.

Laura and Tishona walked slowly toward what would be called in history the ‘final duel.’ They were much more stronger and smarter than they were eleven years ago, but so was the enemy. The walk was about almost a mile, and silence hurt Laura much more than a sword to her flesh. Neither women spoke unless it was something obvious or inoffensive. When betrayal was present, neither Laura nor Tishona had anything to say.

When they approached the gated theatre, Laura insisted a prayer was said before the duel was fought. Tishona just rolled her eyes and kept her distance as she watched the spectacle. Laura plunged her sword into the ground and prayed boldly. “Dear Lord, I pray for your guidance. Show me where to strike and when to stop. I pray for compassion and to be slow to anger. Holy Jesus, help me for I am lacking. Amen.”

They entered the dark place and stood in the doorway. Three powerful lanterns were lit, and Daniel and Joshua appeared. Joshua and Tishona started fighting immediately. Daniel raised his sword, but Laura left hers in her sash. “Fight me, Laura,” he coaxed.

“I can’t fight anymore,” she admitted and threw down her sword. “I’m here to say I am sorry. The way I’ve treated you and our family is unacceptable. I think we should try to make our marriage work for Alisha’s and Tanya’s sake.”

Daniel looked at Laura in a way she had never seen before. He was confused and utterly stumped. All he knew how to do was fight. Suddenly, he did something unexpected. Daniel cast his sword down next to Laura’s. “What?” he asked. He never saw Laura turn down a fight. “You heard me. I will not no let you kill me, but I refuse to battle you. We both know peace is needed in our lives.” He stayed quiet for a long time and pondered Laura’s offer. Daniel nodded, “You’re right. I am tired of fighting.”

Daniel embraced Laura as she smiled with joy. Their fight was over. Joshua and Tishona saw that their friends weren’t fighting and stopped as well. “What are you doing?” screamed Daman as he appeared out of a dark nothing. “KILL HER!”

Daniel frowned and took his wife by the hand and led her out the door. Daman snuck up behind the two and stabbed Laura right through the heart. Before Daniel could do anything, Tishona threw her dagger into Daman’s back and instantly killing him, but no one gathered by his body.

Daniel leaned over his wife’s body just to be pushed away by Tishona. “GET AWAY FROM HER! HAVEN’T YOU DONE ENOUGH?” Then she turned back to her dying friend. “Oh, Laura! I am sorry I criticized your belief. It’s okay to believe in God or Jesus. I am very sorry.”

Laura was turning white and her breath was shortening. “Tishona…” she started. “ Go to… church. You must.”

Tishona bawled. “I… I can’t. No, Laura.”

“You… must. Tell … my… daughters… I…”

“Please don’t die. Don’t leave me.”

Laura huffed out her final breath. Her body slipped away until her soul wasn’t there anymore. Tishona wept violently to the point where her tears were as hard as stone. Suddenly, Tanya, Alisha, and Nathan burst through the door. Nathan had gotten worried and came to defend Laura, but he soon saw it was too late. They saw the blood and her empty body and wept as Tishona did.

There wasn’t a dry eye at her funeral. Because they believed Laura was going to heaven, most everyone came out of it emotionally sturdy, except for three people. Daniel hung himself immediately after his wife’s burial. He could not live with misery hanging over his head. Joshua disappeared and left his two daughters once more. Laura’s final words were burned in Tishona’s soul. She could not forget. Depression soon filled her life. After six months, she locked herself in the hut Dr. Landry was murdered in and swore never to show her face again.

Yet another eleven years later…

If you were to enter the strong city of London on a Sunday morning, most of the people would be in the local church. There would be twenty two year old Keya, whom, despite her independence, chose to be a housewife when she married. Twenty three year olds and best friends Summer and Tanya always showed up. Summer lost her fear and became a activist for ‘Native peoples’ rights. She restored peace between white and dark in many towns and even got to visit The States. As she promised, Tanya became a romance novelist. Her first best-seller was entitled Laura and Tishona in memory of her mother’s beautiful life. There was twenty eight year old Alisha and her husband for ten years. They both carried on Laura’s example and became London’s head detectives. Lastly, there was a slightly over middle aged but still attractive man named Nathan who raised all four girls in place of their parents.

But, this wasn’t an ordinary Sunday. Everyone thought it was, but they learned quickly when an old, crumpled woman limped through the thick, heavy doors. The choir stopped. The instruments were dropped. Everyone in the building gasped. Alisha, Tanya, and Nathan smiled softly as their eyes moistened. Summer wept and fell to the ground. Keya grinned ear to ear and shouted at the top of her lungs, “MOTHER!”

Tishona smiled and cried at the same moment. Her daughters rushed to her with hugs and kisses, followed by Alisha, Tanya, and Nathan. There was a celebration right before the public’s eyes. A soft voice sang out to a sweet tune. “Amazing grace… how sweet the sound… that saved a wretch like me…I once was lost, but now I’m found… was blind, but now I see.”

The girls and Nathan returned to their seats and let Tishona be to herself. She knelt to her knees and prayed. She lifted her hands and worshipped God. “Dear Savior,” she whispered, “please accept me into your family.”