The Wake Up Call

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Drinking and Dancing

June’s curly auburn hair swayed in the breeze as she walked up to the old, vintage, 1980’s rathskellar bar. She climbed up the stairs to the bar, taking them two by two. She opened the wood door, noises swarmed around her. She heard people talking, yelling, and singing to the music playing in the background. People were dancing and drinking. She walked up to the drinking area and took a seat on her usual stool. One of the bartenders, Miles, walked over to June.
“Hey June, how ya doing tonight?”
“Good Miles thanks.”
“I’ll get you your usual?” he asked
“Thanks Miles,” she answered. She came to the bar every night. It was her time to get away from the world. Not that there was anything to really get away from. She was twenty-four and had no idea what she wanted to do with her life. Even though she was twenty-four years of age she was just starting college. Her parents wanted her to go to college right away but she had refused. She wasn’t ready. She still wasn’t ready, and she wondered if she would ever be. But her parents finally forced her into enrolling. She was going to the local community college, taking classes like basket weaving and history of film (which all she did was watch movies by the way.) She took the core courses that every student has to take and simply filled the other courses with classes that seemed easy. Miles brought over June’s drink and placed it in front of her. This was the beginning of a long night of drinking and dancing.
* * *
June’s hair slid down her back as she drank her seventh drink of the night. She felt the tangy drink slide down her throat. It burned her throat and intoxicated her veins, it was invigorating. June slammed her drink back down on the table.
“Give me another one, Miles! Fill it all the way to the top!” She yelled.
“This is the last one, June. Were closing in ten minutes.” Miles said as he re-filled her glass.
“What time is it?” she asked him
“It’s ten minutes to midnight. You know midnight is closing time. And besides, you are the only one still here.” June looked around. Miles was right. She couldn’t believe it was already twelve. Time seemed to have slipped away from her. She gulped down her last drink.
“Thanks Miles. See you tomorrow.” She said.
“Bye June, I’ll have your usual waiting for you.” He answered.
“Thanks.”
June’s hair glided across her back as she walked. She stepped out into the cold, November night. June headed for her car. Although others lived in a dorm room on campus, June had chosen to live in an apartment off campus so she could be closer to her best friend, Amanda. Amanda is twenty-eight years old and lived a block away from June’s apartment with her husband, Mike and their three year old daughter, Amber. As June was driving home she felt her emerald green eyes wanting to shut. She fought every urge to keep them open and was relieved when her lime green Volkswagen bug turned into her driveway. As soon as she was inside the small, one bedroom apartment she went straight to bed. In bed, she brought her legs against her body and rolled the covers further up her legs; trying to collect the warmth as if she were collecting butterflies in a jar.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »