The Unknown

Author's note: I wrote this after reading numerous books about paranormal romance. I love it and I love writing,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this after reading numerous books about paranormal romance. I love it and I love writing, so I decided to write this.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »

Chapter One

I woke up this morning, late. I forgot I had to work today and totally slept in. The thing that woke me up was my mother. "Ashley, honey, get up! You're going to be late for work!" As much as I hate my job, I still had to go. I worked at Party Hardy. A party store downtown where all the weird people and immature teens seem to shop. The store isn't in great shape either. But, I roll out of bed and go into the bathroom. When I come out, I throw on a blue polo, a clean pair of jeans, and my black chucks. I run downstairs and grab a bottle of water as I rush out of the door. "Bye mom!" I yelled over my shoulder. She waved back just as the door slammed behind me. I rushed down Garden Street and screeched into the Party Hardy parking lot. I jumped out of my car and ran into the store. "Good to see you Ashley. Glad you showed up." My boss Mr. Link said in a slightly sarcastic tone. I smiled and went to the cash register. "Nice morning." I tried to slide in before he walked off. "Yes, it is. But for now just do your job." He said rudely, and then walked out the door. I sat at the register for almost an hour before the first customer came in. It was a pretty brunette woman, maybe in her twenties. She looked around for a while before picking up a pack of paper plates, silverware, napkins, and a table cloth. She then walked over to my register and set down the stuff. She smiled at me as I began to ring up her merchandise. I told her the total and she swiped her card, gathered her stuff, and left. That was the last morning customer I had. Then the afternoon came. It was a pretty slow day. I wasn't expecting anything more. Turns out I was way wrong. It was about three o'clock, almost closing time, since we close at three- thirty. A couple of women walked in laughing and acting a fool. A couple minutes later a distressed looking man walked in. He looked at the girls and then went down an isle. The women left at about three- twenty, and the man right after them. I locked up and went around the building to my car. That's when I heard the screams. I ran, only to run into the distressed man and one of the girls from the store. Mascara streamed down her face and blood was staining her white sweater. The man looked at me before turning back to the girl. I screamed and hit him in the face. He staggered backwards and let the girl go, but before she could escape he grabbed her again and threw me across the lot. I hit the pavement hard and my head smacked against it. Tears started streaming down my face. Through blurred vision I could see the man beating the young woman again and again. I screamed out, but that didn't seem to affect him. He just continued. She finally quit struggling and squirming. She wasn't dead but she was most definitely unconscious. Blood was streaming down her beaten face. I started to cry but then I realized I could save the woman and myself. I pulled my cell from my pocket and dialed 911. With a quick ring a woman answered. "911, what's your emergency?" I assessed my thoughts and mumbled. "I am at Party Hardy downtown! I need help!" Then the man rushed over and kicked the phone from my hand. "You will not turn me in!" He growled and then kicked me. "No!" I screamed. I scrambled up off the pavement and tried to get to the other woman lying on the ground. But before I could make it to her the man hit me and I fell. This time I heard something crack. I felt the pain start to shoot up from my hand and wrist and arm. It was dreadful, but I pushed on. I tried once again to get to the girl, but the man was already on top of her. I didn't want to think about what he was doing to her unconscious body so I just ignored it and ran for him. I hit him in the head with my fist and he fell off of her. He staggered to get up and I tried to punch him, but he caught my good arm and yanked me away, mumbling something that sounded like, "Not anymore." I slammed up against the brick wall and fell to my knees. I was gasping for air. Then I heard it. Gun shots. One. Two. Three. Silence.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »