Rock Star Cinderella

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Gloves, Rock Stars, and Pageants. Oh, My!

Back in Syracuse...

Trish and I walked into my house after school. My mom was in the kitchen baking cookies. See, my mom has been on this health kick for a while, and she's been trying to get my dad and I to eat these new things that she's been making. The recipe ususally says that it's good for you; it didn't say that it was supposed to taste good. "Hunny, I have a message for you and Trish. It's from Mr. Riles. He said to call him back when you get a chance," Mom said as she handed me the phone.
"Thanks, Mom," I said, dialing his number.
"This is Andy Riles," Mr. Riles said in a dignified voice as he answered the phone.
"Hi, Mr. Riles. This is Joanna Simmons. My mom said that you wanted to talk to me and Trish."
"Oh, yes. I listened to the demo you girls did, and it was fantastic. Spotlight Records would love to sign you guys as a recording duo."
"We Would love to! Thank you so much!"
"No problem. We're happy to welcome you girls on board. Can you come into the studio next Wednesday so we can sign some papers and start recording your debut album?" he said hopefully.
"sure. That would be great. See you then."
"Alright. Bye, Joanna."
"Bye, Mr. Riles," I said as I hung up the phone.
"What did he say?" Mom asked as she pulled a batch of cookies off the cookie sheet and onto the cooling racks.
"He listened to our demo, and he wants us to come over to the studio next Wednesday to get all of the paperwork together and to start recording our debut album!" I replied. Trish and I started screaming as we jumped up and down in excitement.
"I can't believe it! We're gonna be bono fide rock stars!" Trish said while we were still jumping.
"That's great, hunny, and to celebrate, spinach cookies right out of the oven," Mom said as she took out another batch of cookies from the oven.
"Mom, are these 'cookies' edible?" I said, looking at the green cookies with an unsure expression on my face.
"Just because they're a little bit hard doesn't mean that they're not edible, Joanna. The harder they are, the healthier they are," Mom said as Trish banged one of them on the counter, watched it bounce off of the eddge of the counter, and back onto its surface.
"And these are extremely healthy," Trish said sarcastically.
"You know, even rock stars have to eat their veggies," Mom said.
"In forms of vitamins and actual vegatables, but not in the form of a cookie," I said, holding up one of them to examine it.
"They aren't that bad," Mom said as she ate one with a disgusted look on her face. "Okay. These are going in your father's lunch for tomorrow with ten bucks so he'll be able to at least eat something when he throws these out," she said as she put the cookies in a big plastic bag.
"Well, we better get our homework done before Ryan performs at that beauty pageant on T.V. tonight," I said as Trish pulled her phone out of her pocket to check the time.
"Only three hours. We only...have...three hours. Three hours!" Trish said as she started to hyperventilate.
"We better start our homework before you pass out. Let's go," I said running up the stairs.
"Right behind you, my fellow rock star," Trish said as she followed me up the stairs.
We finally finished our homework a half-hour before the show started. We waited on the edge of my bed as we stared at the T.V. screen in my room.
"I hate waiting," Trish said, breaking the silence.
"Me too, but it's worth the wait. Isn't it?" I said.
"Why are you wearing that glove," Trish said as she looked down at my hand.
"Memories, Trish. Memories," I said ever so dramatically.
"I can't believe that he's going to be performing live!" she said excitedly.
"Yep, and it's gonna start any second now," I said looking at the clock.
Finally, the big hand on the clock reached the seven, and the little hand reached the twelve. "It's on! Turn it on!" Trish yelled as I pressed the "on" button on the remote. We sat and watched the pageant as we both ate seperate pints of moose tracks ice cream.
"Trish, after tonight, I think we're going to need those girls' diet plans once we eat all of this ice cream." I stared down at my pint of ice cream.
"I hear ya, sister," Trish said as the emcee, Harvey Klink, came up on stage.
"Hey, everbody. and welcome back to this year's 'Miss Teen Beauty Pageant.' At the end of tonight, we will have crowned a new Miss Teen Beauty," he said as the audience clapped. "But right now, let's start off with the casual wear competition. Performing during the casual wear competition is teen heartthrob, Ryn Prest," Harvey said as the lights lit up the stage to reveal Ryan. As he sang, the contestants walked down the runway in their designer t-shirts and jeans.
"Hey, Joanna, it looks like your crush is following your trend," Trish said as she pointed to the fingerless, white glove on Ryan's left hand.
"That's my glove. Trish, he has my glove!"
"Well, I guess you finally found it."
"Yeah. I guess I did."
A few minutes later, the casual wear competition was over. "Ryan Prest, everybody. We're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back," Harvey said as they went into their commercial break.
"So, what are you gonna do?" Trish said as she scraped the last of the ice cream from her carton.
"I'm gonna e-mail him," I said as we went over to my computer. I logged onto his website and clicked the "e-mail Ryan" icon.

[Hey Ryan,
I was watching your performance on the "Miss Teen Beauty Pageant," which was great by the way, and I was wondering where you did you get that glove?

From,
Rock Star]

"What are you doing? Tell him who you are!" Trish said as she read over my shoulder.
"No. First, I wanna know if that's really my glove,and if he likes me or not. We both read the article that Muffy gave us."
"Yeah. And we both know that you're the girl in that picture," she said as she pointed to the newspaper clipping on my wall.
"Who knows, there might be someone else who wears on fingerless, white glove on their left hand. Or maybe he bought it and it just so happens that it looks exactly like the glove that I lost."
"Trust me, Joanna, no one else wears a fingerless glove on just their left hand," she replied.

A few days later, I got a repsonse on the "Q&A" page of Ryan's website.

[ Hey Rock star,

This girl I met at a meet and greet this August dropped it when she left. I don't know her name, but I had such a connection with her. I figured that if I wear her glove, she might remember me ane we could somehow meet again. I don't know... it's a plan in progress. I would do anything to meet her, or at least hear from her.

Thanks for being a fan,
Ryan]

thejoyofrediscoveringThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 8:58 am:
Your idea for the story was good, and though people have done it, the rock star touch was creative. However, the story is kind of....rushed, which, unfortunately makes it a bit boring. Also the voice, for your narrator and other character's assumed age, is very inaccurate and immature. So slow the story down, add some description and age, and a good round of spell and grammar check, and you have potential for a better novel.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think you have a good idea here, ie fame meets normal. But, I couldn't get through the first chapter. Start off with the story, you don't need all that background information if you can show the reader through her actions and dialogue. Work on dialogue flow and making it realistic. Also, there is a bunch of descriptive stuff that only takes away from rather than adding to the story. Keep the idea (it really is a good one) and start a new story with a different angle and a different style. :)

JustAnotherOwl said...
What direction are you planning on taking with this? Because it seems so...pointless. Like you aren't getting to the point and I don't understand why she does some things...Like, why does she say that they can't talk anymore online?

TheCreepyNeighbor said...

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t exactly enjoy this.

Me!! (You don’t need two exclamation points, one will do.)

No one actually introduces themselves like that.

Try someone calling on her name. Show, not tell.

Again, too much showing not enough telling.

Most boy bands don’t have mosh pits at there concert.

“[T]hank you!”

Started raining really hard? Look in a Thesaurus for better wording. The dialogue isn’t ve... (more »)

TheCreepyNeighbor replied...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm :
Oops I ment too much telling not enough showing. And this is why we proof-read. :D

CrazyWriter said...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 4:33 pm:
I love it!! no critzism !! CONTINUE please!

triathlete99 replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm :
I agree! PLEASE FINISH!!!! So addicting!!!!

stellabella21 said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm:
I REALLY like the story but I think the story is moving to fast so uch stuff happens in like 4 chapters. Really good so far can't wait for more!

peace4all This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 5:49 am:
finish it!! can't wait!!!

BrielleM said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm:

:)

I love this story so far! I like the idea & how instead of her being your typical Cinderella, you know, glass slipper and all, she drops her fingerless glove...Which is pretty awesome! (:

Obviously, the story has a few problems, just as every good story has....

The grammar was a bit off at some parts and the sentences can be choppy...& I agree with one of the people down there...Things just happen too fast! But that's okay, that happens to me too!

Someti... (more »)

MysteryHeart said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm:
Ok So I REALLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wanna know what happens next.... you might have at one point though MAKE A CLIMAX !!!!!!! Tradgedy, deceive , back stabbing, lies ...its perfect story its just tooooooo perfect which can sometimes be boring we need something that will want us to keep reading.. your doing great though keep it up

PrincessSparkle said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:26 pm:
I am a sucker for famous meets Normal people. I loved the idea but a few things sort of bugged me. I didn't like how fast everything was happening. Most readers like to build up to the climax whereas you jumped right on it. Its not really realistic but I still enjoyed reading it. Please write more. =]

Leann13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 8:58 am:
It is a good idea, but I think if you would have added a real summary more people might have clicked 'read book'. :/ Well, I am going to give some tips, if that's ok? You have a lot of potential but most of your sentences are a bit choppy and I feel if you added more to them, let them flow, they would sound a lot more proffesional as a whole. You also use a lot of exclamation points, which is fine, but it starts to annoy the reader (I have gotten in trouble with this as well, haha) and just one ... (more »)