Isle Of The Dead | Teen Ink

Isle Of The Dead

By Landon72, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Landon72, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

"Take One Step At A Time"

Author's note:

Basically, this peice describes the events that I believe would take place on an island in a painting titled "Isle Of The Dead".

I had been stuck on the boat for what felt like a year, and then I saw something in the distance. It looked a group of large stones with huge black structures that almost looked like trees. As we got closer though, it became very clear, it was an island. But it did not look like a regular island, it was manmade and looked very old, worn down, and possibly abandoned. Then the man rowing the boat told me to get out soon as we approached what looked like a gate. I listened to him and walked out and looked around with no idea what to do. There were some doors and windows and of course the huge black forest but I wasn’t sure where to go. By the time I turned around the man and his boat were both long gone and nowhere to be seen.

I decided to walk into the black forest with hope I would find answers as to what was going on because I had gone to sleep and woken up in the middle of the ocean on a boat with a man. Within a minute of walking into the forest it was already getting very dark and I knew if I went any further I would never find my way out. The trees got closer and closer to each other the deeper I went into the forest and it was getting hard to move around and walk properly. As I was walking I realized that my shoe had come untied. I got on my knee to lace it up again when I heard something moving around in the trees.

It was too dark to see anything at this point so I had to listen carefully. Whatever it was sounded like it was maybe 20 feet behind me. I decided that instead of making a run for it I would just stand still and try to let whatever it was in the forest pass by me. It was silent for at least 15 minutes as I tried to breath as little as I could and as quiet as I could and at the same time not move a muscle. Then I heard it again, it sounded like it was moving to my left and got louder and louder with every step it took. I tried not to panic but inside I was screaming so loudly as this thing kept inching closer every minute. Then it stopped again, but I now realized that it had become much colder and there was a heavy breeze coming from my right. It was becoming much colder and I kept focusing on that so much I didn’t even realize that the “thing” was moving around again. But this time it was coming my way. I had no idea what to do and in a matter of seconds it was going to be right next to me so I got up took a deep breath and began sprinting to my right, directly into that cold air.

As soon as I did so whatever was behind me also picked up the pace and was still following me. After running for a minute or so I knew I couldn’t stay ahead of the thing much longer. It was growing colder by the second and I was becoming more tired with every step I took. I knew I had to do something because I couldn’t hold up much longer. At this point It had become so cold that I couldn’t feel my hands or feet and I was struggling to breathe and keep my legs moving. Then my vision started to become blurry as if I was hallucinating and I could no longer run from this creature. I fell to the ground and I felt like I was about to freeze to death, I also heard the thing coming fast so I knew I better enjoy what could be the last few moments of my life. Sure enough about a minute later something was right in front of me, all I could feel was a worn down, rough, robe like piece of clothing. I couldn’t see what it was but standing in front of me it felt like a human.

It just stood there, then something started glowing red. I could feel its heat from the could ground were I lay and I could now see what it was, a scythe. The figure swung its scythe down at me but right before it hit me everything blacked out, and a second later I was off the island. I opened my eyes and looked around at a familiar place, my room. Then it hit me that I had just been dreaming.