Where Were You | Teen Ink

Where Were You

By GJ, Cascade, Iowa
GJ, Cascade, Iowa

“Where were you last night?!” I asked my friend, Bella, angerly. Last night I had to babysit my little brother and sister because my parents are out of town. Somehow, my little brother, Phil, got sick yesterday, so I asked Bella if she could help watch them and she said she would, but she never showed. I couldn’t even talk to her all day I was so upset. All-day Bella tried apologizing but I wouldn’t let up. After school, I ran home to check on Phil. An hour later I heard a knock on the door. I handed Phil his water and gave him some pain medicine that was leftover when I broke my foot, then went to open the door to find the one person I didn’t feel like talking to, Bella. She tried to apologize again, but she got cut off by Phil coughing up a storm and sweating buckets. I guess she got why I was mad at her and wouldn’t talk to her because she kept on insisted on staying and help with Phil and my little sister, May. I didn’t want her here but then Phil started coughing hysterically. I turned around and looked at him worryingly. After a while, I sighed and moved to the side of the door frame so Bella can slide past without saying a single word to her.

The next day I woke up to Phil puking his guts out, May got him a new puke bucket and Bella putting a wet rag on his sweating forehead; I guess Bella decided to stay the night. I have never seen my little brother hurting so much. All I wanted to do when I saw the pain in his squinting eyes is break down and cry, but I had to stay strong. After a few minutes of Phil throwing up, he finally stopped. I took this time to get him more medicine. When I was upstairs looking for the medicine, May came running in at lightning speed and crying out, “Phil’s throwing up blood!” I ran down the stairs into the living room once I heard the word blood leave her lips, and when I saw blood I immediately drove him to the hospital, I would have let Bella drive so I could stay with Phil in the back, but I am the only one with a license. I didn’t take him to the hospital in the first place because I didn’t have time, not enough money, and I was scared to move him and get him to even sicker.

On the way to the hospital in my car, Phil was still throwing up blood, Bella was trying to get May to calm down and rubbing in a circular motion on Phil’s back. I was trying to look strong for my younger siblings, but inside, I just want to cry and hug them. A few tears escaped from my eyes, but I quickly wiped them away.

When I pulled into a parking spot close to the building, I unlocked the doors, went to Phil’s door, opened it, and picked him up with his bucket. I practically ran to the door. I took a glance behind me to see a worried-looking Bella with a terrified, crying May in her arms right behind me.

Once inside the brightly lit hospital, I handed Phil over to Bella, and asked, “Can you take Phil and May to sit down while I sign him in?” She just nodded and sat down with them. I walked up to the front desk, I asked for a sign-in sheet. My face felt something wet run down my cheeks, but I didn’t realize I was crying till the nurse working the front desk handed me a tissue with a calming smile, I took the tissue trying to match her smile. I went to sit down with Phil, May, and Bella. Phil was sitting next to me still hasn’t stop puking, while I was rubbing circles on his back, and May was curled up in Bella’s side sleeping.

It took about 10 to 15 minutes, Phil stopped puking and the doctor finally called us in. I took Phil while Bella stayed with May in the waiting room. Once the doctor was done looking over him, he said that he has a stomach ulcer and Phil had to stay at the hospital for a year. A year later, I fully forgave Bella, mom and dad still haven’t shown up and they won't answer my calls; I went to go see Phil like I always do after school, while Bella watched May, but today felt different then it normally does. I have a random feeling of sadness.

I walk into his hospital room; he was sleeping but his heartbeat looked slower than it should be when he was sleeping. I sat down in a chair next to him and I must have fallen asleep holding his hand because I woke up to a long beep. I looked over at the heart monitor and just saw a flat line. I panicked and ran out into the hall yelling, “Doctor, I need a Doctor!”

By the time the doctor and nurses got there they were too late, and they couldn’t save him. I tried calling my parents again, but they didn’t pick up, so I left a voicemail saying that Phil died. A few weeks later was Phil’s funeral, all his friends, family friends, and family were there, but only two people didn’t show up and those people were my parents. After the funeral, I called the police to see if they could find my parents. A few years later the police were still looking for them but found nothing and they gave up, so now it is just May and me all alone with no one else in the world because Bella Had to move for no reason.