The Girl in the Rain | Teen Ink

The Girl in the Rain

June 25, 2019
By nutmegwrites BRONZE, La Quinta, California
More by this author
nutmegwrites BRONZE, La Quinta, California
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Though she be but little, she is fierce"-William Shakespeare (A Midsummer's Night Dream)


Author's note:

I wrote this piece as an assignment for my English class, but as I was writing it moved me and it showed me how I could showed emotions through writing. I wanted to share this story because it is something, in my opinion, that should be shared with the world.

      The tapping of the rain on the window always calmed me down. I hate the rain. Sad, desolate at times. Makes everything around me monotoned. How can people be so happy, on such a sad day? Sunny days show people’s true colors and mine.  

And that is when I saw her, standing there on the side of the street. Looking out as if nothing was there. I wonder if she knew it was raining. By the looks of her, I would say she was in another world. Then, as if she knew what I was thinking, she walked off into the rainy distance, head bent low. It made me wonder… who is she?

As I was walking home, the whole street was filled with noise. Mostly, with the yelling from my house which could be heard from the end of the street. Everyday, around this time, like clockwork, my father came to visit me. As if, visiting me will make me feel any better. 

I am slowly dying and everyone knows it. So why do my parents pretend? 

There it is, the uncanny silence that fills my house as soon I enter the front door.

“Sweetie, We need to get you warmed up!” 

My mother shoved a cup of warm tea into my  hands. I stared at her blankly and then at my father. Without exchanging a single word to them, I walked up to my room. I noticed that in the hallway, my mother has added more flowers to its shelves. I live in a house filled with dust and flowers. Flowers? How cliché. 

In my room, I laid down on my bed and let the darkness and silence consume me. Does everybody really think I’ll survive? Because I know I won’t.


Victoria

Idiots! The lot of them! Downstairs with their business partners and I’m up here stuck in an isolated room. Having to hide these bruises is starting to become impossible. “Oh, such a pretty girl.” Everyone says to me, but they’re all deceitful and condescending. If only they knew what the real me looks like. They’d be ashamed. Bruises on every part of my body. That is not the definition of a ‘pretty girl’. Besides it is my fault, so I would only be criticized. 


Henry

I awoke the next morning drenched with sweat. My heart was pounding. I had slept in last night’s clothes and the air to my room was shut off. My mother is always worried that I will get too cold. 

And what awaits me is another boring day of school and not a single homework paper done. It’s not like I care, I won’t be here for much longer. 

Luckily, it is a sunny day which is common after a long rain. Maybe I’ll get to sit outside and let the warmth cascade over me. Jeez, I sound like I am in a romance novel: “A dying kid who wishes to always be warm”. I guess it sounds more like a soap opera than a romance novel.

 As I made my way downstairs, my mother reminded me of my doctors appointment, like they can help. 

At school, the sound of lockers slamming shut was prominent in every hall. As I walked to mine, I saw her, the girl in the rain. I hadn’t realized I was staring, until she yelled at me.

“What do you think you’re looking at?” 

Everyone stopped dead in their tracks. Staring at us. 

“Well are you going to answer me?”. She exclaimed.

She walked towards me, with a stoic face, the same expression from the other day. My curiosity only grew.

“You really shouldn’t stare at people. That’s how a creepy obsession starts. I’m Victoria.

“Uh... Henry”.

And with that she walked off.

Victoria

 Henry... what an interesting stalker. Or maybe he isn’t one. I don’t know what to believe anymore. 

I fell to the floor, as soon as I entered my house. I screamed in agony and pain. And there was that snide voice, I loathed so much, but could never get rid of.

“Victoria, you really should be careful”. 

Even though he shoved me, it was my fault. All the times he has hit me, it was my fault . Being born was my fault. Surviving his torment, ever since I was six has been exhausting, but not as exhausting as the time I almost died, to say the least. My uncle… believes that I never should have been born. That I was in the way of my parents’ success. Even though their engineering company was staying afloat… it has been prospering.

I walked out of the kitchen, keeping my mouth shut trying not to provoke anymore beatings, and went up to my room. My house seemed so far away from everything. It’s not like I can go anywhere, I am an isolated doll, taking beatings here and there. Watching how my oblivious parents do not notice, but once again it is my fault because I lie. I fell sobbing to the ground and later that night my uncle slapped and punched my face, repeatedly. My room was never safe, how could I be so naive?

Not a hundred layers of makeup would cover the many bruises on my face. Still, I went to school and lied.


Henry

I thought I would never get out of my house. After my doctor’s appointment, my mother has been smothering me. At least school is an escape. “So what, if I was pushing myself too hard. What’s the point in laying around?” That thought entered my mind as I saw her. That awful bruise on her face. Before I knew it, I was face to face with her. My finger pointing at her, not saying a word. She stared blankly at me, I could see the tears welling up in her eyes. She was in pain, you could tell just by looking at her.

“I tripped on the curb and…” she stammered. 

An excuse I thought. She turned and walked away swiftly, I followed. She tried to escape into a dark room, but I was right behind her. Tears, was all I heard.

“I-It’s not what you think!”

“What is it then?’ I heard myself say out loud.

“ I uh-”

“Don’t say you tripped. That’s obviously a lie.”

“It’s none of your business! And class…”

She stormed off before finishing her sentence. Moment of opportunity, I suppose. 

The day went on as usual, no excitement, nothing different. Except, for this morning. I wondered… how did she really get that bruise? 

“Freedom, but soon I will be trapped once again” I thought as the last bell rang. That’s when I saw her rush by me.

“Hey!” I called out. 

She stopped and turned. We stared blankly at each other again, not exchanging words. Suddenly there was yelling in the background. When I looked back at her she froze. Like she knew what was coming. A middle-aged man rushed towards us. He had a ferocious look on his face. The man grabbed Victoria by the wrist and pulled her up to his face. Victoria did not even flinch at the sight of this man. She was frozen. The man yelled at her, yet no one around them noticed. They were in their own little bubble. I approached the man and pushed him away from her. It took every bit of strength I had. He stumbled back and gave me a look, before he could muster out any words, Victoria stepped between us.

“Don’t ever do that again.” She said to me.

“We’re leaving. Now!” The man yelled.

 She followed like a lost puppy. At that thought, I collapsed. The cold cement on my face was refreshing, every inch of my body hurt, but it was worth it.

Victoria

“What was he thinking?! Getting involved with my uncle.” I muttered to myself. 

I hit the ground hard. I was smacked once again. This time I felt blood trickle down my face and onto the tile floor. 

“Get up!” He yelled. “And clean up the floor, you clumsy girl.”

It‘s my fault, I thought to myself. I never should have been born. I should have died at my uncle’s hand when I was six, but I didn’t. Am I gonna be cursed in this violent solitude forever? No one can help me. Not when it’s my fault. 

Henry

I woke up to bright fluorescent lights. Ones I knew too well. I heard my mother’s weeping voice and my father’s low growl. 

“You can not push yourself so hard, Henry.” I heard the doctor state.

I’ve heard this lecture too many times. Over and Over again. When will it ever stop? I was discharged in an hour. The normal routine when I collapse. This awful disease, deteriorating my immune system, day by day.


Victoria 

I cried in my room for the whole night, blood all over my face. I could not get it to stop. A new lie for school then. Maybe he will understand… but, in the end, I’m the fool. No one will understand. 

I walked into the hallway, ready to tell my lie to anyone who asked. Then I saw him. Henry, right? Yes, him. He saw my stare and walked toward me. He put his had gingerly on my face, wiping away the blood from my reopened wound. My eyes welled up with tears and he hugged me, as if he knew what I had gone through. He barely knows me, but still embraces me. I cried like a little girl into his chest. Letting out all those terrible emotions I held in for years. I’m so cold to everyone, when he comforts them. 


Henry 

After that day, Victoria and I hugged for what seemed like hours, but it was only five minutes, we hung out together as much as we could. She didn’t really have any friends except Cecile, but she’s never around. So it was really only us, so to speak.

I noticed Victoria never smiles, always talks with a solemn face and in monosyllables. I’m determined to get more than one word out of her.

“How are you so comforting to everyone?” She blurted out. 

“I’ve never felt comfortable before, so I don’t know what it feels like. But I want to know how.” She was weeping at her own words. I wanted to embrace her once more. Maybe I can make her feel comfortable.

“Umm, it’s a matter of feeling safe that makes everybody comfortable. Feeling as if nothing can get to you.”

She was sobbing, uncontrollably at my words. I came closer to her, holding her and not willing to let go. Even though we only talked to each other briefly and we didn’t know anything about each other, I felt the need to comfort her as she clung to me. The start of our new friendship was messy, but it was real.

Victoria

The hug with Henry was great and I felt safe, even if it was for a few minutes. But my uncle will never allow our friendship. Maybe my parents will, but my uncle… never. With my parents being gone for the week, I need to be especially careful. I don’t think I can survive the beatings, I get, when we’re alone. I hate that I was born into this life. I was supposed to never be alive, I know that. So why, did I have to survive? Why, couldn’t it just end when I was six? Even now, ten years later, I remember everything about that day. My uncle barging in and shoving me down the stairs, kicking me, punching me. Every part of me wanted to yell stop but I just couldn’t. My voice was lost. The feeling of blood on my skin, trickling down my face and limbs. I curled up into the fetus position. Natural instinct I guess. The only reason I made it to the hospital that day was because somebody called the cops. A domestic violence call was made, I learned that term in the hospital. I didn’t know what it meant, until I got older. But since then, I have lived in fear.

Henry

The sound of the doctor’s office has always bothered me. Quiet and noisy. Couldn’t they just pick one sound volume? It makes waiting feel so much longer. I just want to be at school, hanging out with Victoria, getting to know her more. We’ve been meeting each other for lunch since our emotional talk and hug. Victoria is really smart and funny. Even though she never smiles, I wanted to witness that rare occasion when it happened. I knew it would, I can feel it, so to speak. 

At this point, in my life, I knew I wasn’t going to live for much longer. The doctors have pinpointed the estimated time of my demise. Which is when I’m sixteen or seventeen years old. I’m used to the idea of death. Especially when you’re pegged with it. 


Victoria

“Deep breath in. Deep breath out.” I murmured to myself. I was beaten once again for some stupid reason, but it was my fault. It always was. And I won’t ever say anything besides that. My uncle has gotten more creative. He hit me with a steeled toed boot this time. 

I’ve been trying so hard to be perfect. And at that moment my phone rang. It was a message from Henry. I’d forgotten that I gave him my number. Although I’d given him the name Henrietta on my phone, I chuckled slightly when I saw it. He gave me hope and comfort. He is what I needed in my own desperate time of need. 

The yelling of my uncle on the phone scared me. I’m guessing he was talking to my father about his recent business trip. From the tone of his voice, it did not go well. I need to get out I thought. Far away from him and his anger. I picked up my phone and messaged the one person who made me feel the safest right now. I frantically picked up my phone when it rang. Henry answered, almost immediately. I could come over. I jumped with glee, but it all ended soon, when I realized I would have to tell my uncle. The only way I could go, is if I were to lie. And I did. All my uncle knows is that I’m at a study group for the day. I’m surprised I got away with it. He is so obsessed about my whereabouts and it is not because he worries. 

Henry’s house is really close to mine. Just a couple of streets away. I knocked on his front door and as soon it opened I was shocked. He looked different than how he looks at school. He looks more comfortable. At school he is rigid and stands straight. Now, his hands were in his pockets and was standing less straight. It was different, but different is good. 

His house was cozy. Pictures on every wall and the smell of food lingering in the kitchen. I wanted to cry at it all. Something I would never have. 


Henry

I was surprised when Victoria texted me, but I was happy that she did. She got here super quickly, so maybe that means she lives or was nearby. Once she got here, she looked happy and then she shut down. I nudged her and looked her in the eyes. Her eyes were glossy, like she was about to cry. 

“Are you okay?” I asked her. She nodded.

“Are you hungry?” Another nod. 

“We have leftover hamburgers, if you would like one. It’s super easy to make. Just need to heat up the meat and make it from there.” I said anything to get a reaction from her. And I did, well almost one.

“That would be great.” She whispered. She seemed like she was afraid to talk. I led her to the kitchen. She stood at the entrance.

“You can come in.” I said to her. She didn’t move an inch. She stares down at her feet.

“Did I do something wrong? If I offended you or something.”

“You didn’t. I’m sorry. I’m very grateful. It’s just, my house is nothing like this.” 

“That man, the one who yelled at you at school. Who is he?” Her breathing leveled out and she stared into space. Like that day on the street.

“That is my uncle. He is a little hot tempered, but it’s normal. It was my fault, any way. What I did.”

“What did you do?” Again her breathing leveled.

“I-I did something because it was my fault.” The expression on her face didn’t change. 

“Did you do something?” Her eyes were starting to well with tears.

“Let’s change the subject. The burgers are almost done. What do you want on it?” Victoria came over and started to gather the condiments and fixings she wanted. 

I heard the front door open and I knew it was my mother 

“Hi sweetie, I need to finish some - Who’s this?” My mother pointed a finger at Victoria.

“This is Victoria. She came over to hang out.” 

“Oh that’s nice, well, have fun. I’ll be in my office and your dad wants to spend the day with you tomorrow.”

“Oh mom I can’t. I have plans with Victoria. We’re going to the movies.” 

“Oh okay, then dinner with him.”

“Okay.”

“It was nice to meet you.” Victoria said gingerly. My mother walked off and up the stairs to her office. 

“Do you not like your father?” I heard Victoria ask.

“No, I love my father and I love spending time with him. It’s just my mom doesn’t have work tomorrow. And if she’s alone she’ll spend all her time researching.”

“Researching something for work?”

“No, you haven’t heard? Around school?” She shook her head. 

“I’m sick and slowly dying from this disease. I can’t even pronounce it. It’s destroying my immune system slowly but surely.” 

“Do people pity you?”

“All the time, I hate it.”

“It sucks that you have this disease, but I won’t pity you.”

“Thank you.” We looked at each other. And I saw her smile.

“But it is okay to worry about it, ignoring it won’t make it go away. It’s okay to be afraid. It just means you’ll get stronger”. She said

“Okay '' and “Thank you Victoria”.

 Victoria 

 Spending the day at Henry’s was amazing. I learned about his disease and it’s awful. But I said I wouldn’t feel sorry for him. After that day, Henry and I have been spending a lot of time together. He’s really funny and gets me to smile. I’m this pessimist and he’s an optimist. Polar opposites, but we get along so well. I think back to the day we met. Around six months ago. We’ve had so much fun and I never wanted any of those moments with him to end. 

The beatings have been getting worse and it’s getting harder to hide the bruises and scars. Even with my long sleeves and thick makeup. I don’t want to hide it anymore, but there’ll be too many questions. And I’ve come so close to telling Henry but I think he already knows. It’s not hard to figure out when you look at me. 


My uncle was yelling so much when I came home from school. My parents weren’t home and he was yelling on the phone. I stated to walk to my room when I felt hands on my back. Next thing I knew I was on the ground having trouble breathing. I had been pushed it thrown. I felt feet kicking me and hands punching me. Soon enough, I was in the fetal position, protecting my head and torso. I felt the blood start to come out of my skin. It starting to run down it. I couldn’t take this, not again. I used every strength I had to get away from him. To push him off of me. I kicked back and must have hit him in a vulnerable spot because he stumbled backwards. At that moment, I ran out of the house and onto the street. I could hear yelling but I didn’t stop running. Even with the blood on my face running more and more, I wouldn’t stop. I ran all the way to Henry’s house. It was the first place I thought to go to. By the time I reached Henry’s house I wanted to pass out and throw up. Hopefully not at the same time. I knocked and leaned on the door. Trying to breath and calm down. But I couldn’t. I fell into his doorway when the door opened. I looked up and saw Henry’s expression. He looked confused and terrified. He pulled me up to my feet. I could barely stay awake. He carried me to the couch and soaked up the blood with a wet towel. I woke up minutes later, vomiting into a bucket near me. Henry was on the phone and talking frantically. Few minutes later I heard sirens. An ambulance of course. I closed my eyes and the world disappeared behind me. 


Henry 

I can’t even describe my feelings, once I saw Victoria. I was angry, upset, and wanted someone to blame for her injuries. Talk about mixed emotions. I carried her to my couch and tended to her wounds. I called 9-1-1, once I could leave her side. I was afraid. She vomited a few times and slurred her words. I did everything I could, but now I just had to wait for the professionals. I was scared out of my mind.

The knock on the door startled me. I got up from my chair and walked carefully to the door. I was afraid that the person who did this would find her. I heard chattering outside the door. Another knock. I looked out and saw the blinking lights of a vehicle. It was the paramedics. I let them in quickly and showed them to the couch where Victoria was lying. The paramedics aided her and before I knew it they were rolling her away to the ambulance. I begged the paramedics to let me go with them. After pleading with them, they agreed maybe because they wanted to get Victoria to the hospital. From that point on it was all a blur. The entrance to the emergency room. Victoria being rushed away. The doctors yelling at one another. I stood against a wall waiting to hear something. The hospital must have called Victoria’s parents because they came rushing towards me. 

I only met them once, after school one day. When they came to pick up they’re daughter, a few weeks ago. I guess they were traveling recently because they appeared as if they had just gotten off a plane.

“Is she okay?” Victoria’s mother screamed at me. I couldn’t say anything. I looked down at my feet. I couldn’t make eye contact, I just couldn’t. Her mother started to sob and Victoria’s father took his wife in his arms. The doctors came out looking seldomly at one another. This couldn’t be good.

I overheard the attending’s words. 

“Your daughter has sustained a major blow to the head,must likely from blunt force trauma and internal bleeding. She has lost a lot of blood. We are trying to do everything we can, but it doesn’t look good. She’s in emergency surgery right now. We’ll update you when we know more.” And with that the doctor walked away. I fell to the floor, wanting to disappear. This can’t be happening. This isn’t supposed to be happening to her. I closed my eyes and didn’t open them until I heard the doctor’s voice. 

“I’m so sorry, but there’s nothing else we can do for now. We are trying to get her into surgery tomorrow, but right now she’s too weak. You should prepare yourselves. She’s being taken to room two-one-one.” I couldn’t do anything or say anything. I followed her parents to the room. Once I saw her, I knew she wanted to give up. I knew what I needed to do. I grabbed her hand and watched her as her eyes opened. She looked so weak. Her eyes were weak. It looked painful for her to open her eyes. 

“Victoria, you are strong and brave. I know you can survive this. I want to be selfish and sit here the whole night to make sure you won’t slip away from me. But I can’t because I can see that you’re suffering. I don’t want to be the one to put you through more pain. But listen to me please, if you can fight to stay alive then you should. However if you can’t, I understand. You deserve to be happy. You deserve not be in pain.” 

“I can’t do this anymore.” She whispered.

“Then, I understand. Thank you for showing me life from a different perspective. You gave me something I could never achieve on my own. Living life, honestly. You showed me it was okay to be afraid. So thank you.”

“Henry, you gave me a full life and so many memories. I’m sorry I haven’t always been honest with you about my past. But I almost died when I was six from abuse. It was hard to talk about.”

“I had my theories, but let’s not talk about this.”

“I need to.”

“I know your uncle did this. Like I said, I had my theories. I’ll make sure he is punished. Victoria it was never your fault.” She wept and nodded. She finally understood. I looked back at her parents. They were stunned. But I think they knew it was true. They finally saw it. The abuse. Victoria and her parents exchanged ‘I love you’s’. She finally seemed at peace.

Victoria

I won’t be a pessimist anymore, I’ll be an optimist. I took as much as I could, but I don’t regret any of my life choices. I’ve lived. Goodbye everyone. Thank you.


Henry

Victoria passed away two weeks ago. Everyone in her life had been questioned. I told them who I knew abused Victoria. And soon enough her uncle was interrogated and confessed. Her perpetrator had been caught. I kept my promise. The funeral was nearing. Her parents had asked me to speak. 


I could barely keep it together the day of the funeral. As I got up to the podium, I wanted to sob. But I stood up straight, my face sickly. The doctors say the tragic experience is having a toll on my health. I don’t care if it does. I needed her and she needed me. 

“Hello everyone, we are here to celebrate the life of Victoria Winston. Victoria was many things. She was smart, brave, beautiful, honest. She was my best friend and meant the world to me. I don’t think I would be here if I hadn’t met her. I was so ready to leave this world months ago. My health was getting worse everyday. But the mystery to Victoria kept my curiosity alive. Even though she was hurt repeatedly, she got up every morning and lived her life. She showed me how to live honestly. And once I did, I felt this huge weight lifted off me. I didn’t need to hide ‘me’ anymore. I could be who I truly am. 

This was supposed to be the other way around, you know. I was the one destined to live a short life and Victoria was destined to live a full, happy life. But that didn’t happen. Victoria left us far too soon, but she was in pain and couldn’t live anymore. She couldn’t survive anymore traumas. It’s a shame because she was a one of a kind person. I will never forget this amazing girl.

She told me that she almost died when she was six, but she survived for ten more years. I’m supposed to die when I’m sixteen or seventeen years old. But I’m determined to survive for ten more years. For Victoria. If she could survive years of torment and abuse, then I could fight a disease for ten years or more. I refuse to give up. So Victoria if you can hear me, I’m going to live. For me, for you, for my mom, for my dad. I’ll beat the statistics and live. Thank you! You gave me my life back Victoria.” I left the stage weeping. Victoria gave me something that no one could. I’ll miss her everyday. But I’m going to live.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.