The lost place | Teen Ink

The lost place

April 25, 2019
By Wolfy-Kun, Barnsdall, Oklahoma
More by this author
Wolfy-Kun, Barnsdall, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Civilize the mind but make savage the body


The snow falls around me making this once lively landscape barren. It seems like I've been walking forever. No matter how far I've gone, it all looks the same. Everything here is still, as if it has been caught in an eternal sleep; for the ice has taken over. The air is cold, let alone the wind, yet in some way this is what I deserve. Even now I breathe and see my existence but its barely there, just like me… So I walk, I haven’t the slightest idea where I am going but I know I'm going there. The place I was always meant to go to. In the distance I can see woods,  a change of scenery most welcomed by my lost soul. I make camp for the night just inside the woods to keep the wind at bay. I have no food or water, so I take some of the snow and carefully eat it. This is what I deserve, nothing. I wake to the morning sun rising high into the skies, but with it came the howling wind. The snow drifts through the wind being carried around the trees like a magical mist. Out of nowhere I hear my name? I turn, hoping to see a familiar face, yet there is none. My mind is getting to me in these lonely woods, it was just the wind. I turn away only to hear it again, this time I know it is the wind, so I follow it. Maybe this was the thing I've been searching for. Maybe the wind will take me to a place where I can finally belong, so I go. I follow the wind for days barely resting, on the edge of sleep I hear my name again. Calling to me from somewhere in the woods. Seven days now I have followed the wind yet still there is nothing. Nearly dead from starvation, nearly gone from frostbite that is slowly taking over my body, I barely keep going. Then I hear something, at first I thought it wasn't real. Something my mind made up to keep me going, but then it happened again. This time it was closer, I looked up to the sky and saw the bird. What was it doing here though, so far into these cold, cold woods. I looked around me and saw something different, the trees were beginning to have leaves. Even then I noticed it wasn't snowing nearly as heavy as it was. Why were things changing? This is not what should be happening. I came here to die. To be alone in a place for which no one would ever find me. Yet here I'm coming to a utopia. I walked further towards the warmth and life, the things I tried so dearly to get away from. Yet here I am, here I am in a place that was lost to the world. As I venture into these woods things began to drastically change. The once cold barren landscape swapped out for this luscious forest. I came up to a pond, quite a large pond at that. The water crystal clear but a shade of deep blue. There were fish, fish of many colors. Red fish, white, blue, green, and even some that were a mix of two or more. I saw turtles swimming around and in between the schools of fish all seemingly happy. I heard a noise behind me, the snap of a branch, I whipped about only to see it. There, at the edge of the forest sat a pup, a wolf pup. It was watching me with eyes shining bright with curiosity, those happy eyes. He came to me from the edge of the forest. Something about him and something about me brought us together. In that moment I knew that I loved him and he loved me. That feeling knowing that a nobody like me could be loved from the start was amazing, something you only hear about in books, but it happened. For years I stayed here, I named him Puck. I had built a house and a dock. The weather changed but not so drastically as the forest around us. This place, the one that was lost within the woods, is the place I was meant to be. Then an idea came to me. What about those I left behind? I left them in my time of need and they hadn’t found me. So what of them? I found this place lost within the woods, and made it my own. So here I will stay, maybe those I had left behind will come and find me one day. If they do, I hope that they will stay too, but if they wish different than they can go. For this now is my home, in which I’ll stay. This lost place within the woods, a home for me. A home for the wolf.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.