The House on Del Mar Avenue | Teen Ink

The House on Del Mar Avenue

December 21, 2018
By lonnie17, Stockton, California
More by this author
lonnie17, Stockton, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is Lonnie B, We didn’t always live on Del Mar Avenue. Before that we used to live  on Mariposa Road with my grandma. The three of us my mom, dad, and me. The duplex belonged to my great aunt, her recent tenants before that moved out because they needed a bigger place. My parents and I moved around my first birthday.

My mom and dad finally had their own place, their own rules. We started off like any new family, my grandma was over a lot helping my parents with the house. My parents were all new to this, they have never had their own place before. My grandma stayed many nights with us because my mom was at work and it was just my dad and me so my grandma stayed the night with us, and then she would get up in the morning and my mom would come home from work and my grandma left for work. My parents didn’t have to pay rent because my aunt didn’t want us to she just wanted us to take care of the place fix something if it broke and that’s it. We were are cozy and finally comfortable living by ourselves, my grandma went back to her house and we were okay.

The neighborhood was loud because were was tons of kids playing outside and birds chirping. It was a nice day and I was outside playing with a couple of kids from the neighborhood my mom said “Lonnie you have to come inside now.” I came inside and she told me “Honey you can go outside in a little while you need to take a nap.”

She put me in my bed and I fell asleep moments later. I woke up because the kids outside were being loud, they were playing. I yelled “Mama.” Loudly. My mom came into my room that had Winnie the Pooh stuff everywhere and there were stuffed animals everywhere. She asks me “Baby what’s the matter.”

I say in my baby voice “I wanna go outside.”

“Okay baby let's go outside and play. We went outside and I  played with the other neighborhood kids. Me and the other kids played ball while our parents talked. I remember my friend chris, me and him were around the same age. Me and chris played ball almost everyday. It got dark and me and Chris both had to go home, we both said bye and waved at each other. 

It was a beautiful and vibrant March 9th and the year was 2003. My sister Breeanna was born I don’t Remember much that day but I remember that I got a new baby sister. My mom and dad brought her home and I remember that I was very excited to see her. I was with my grandma and I heard a knock on the door my grandma got upend went to the door. “Who’s there.” My grandma yelled.

“It’s Becky.” My mom yelled. Grandma lets her in and I run to my mom and she has my baby sister in her arms. I run and hug my mom and my grandma puts her hands out to grab the my baby sister and she is in my grandmas arms. She sits down so I can meet my new baby sister. I say “Hi” and I my grandma tells me that my baby sister can’t talk yet she’s just a baby.

Later that day my sister was sleeping and my mom told me “Honey you are a big brother now and you gotta start acting like one and helping mama with your little sister and I love you.

“I love you too mama.’ She kisses me and gives me a big hug.

A time I got in trouble was when I said a curse word. I said the F word, because I dropped my toy on the floor in the car and it was in front of my mom and dad, we were in the car on our way to Walmart. My mom stopped the car and pulled over and she told me “Honey we don’t use bad words, bad words are not good for little kids, mama says bad words sometimes when I’m upset.”

“Yes saying bad words is very bad baby and you should never ever say them even when you are upset.” My dad said.

“Yes honey bad words can get you into a lot of trouble it's not good to curse.”

We pull into the parking lot and I say the F word again. My mom turns around and yells “Honey stop cussing before I spank you and then hopefully you will stop cursing.”

“Okay mama.”

“Yes baby please don’t curse again it’s really really bad for you Honey.”

‘Yes baby you need to stop cursing.” I said the F word and my mom turns around and hits me upside my face. After that I never said the F word or cursed again.

One day in October my Mom got a phone call from me and my sisters school, the principal told my mom that my sister had got Into a fight with boy that has been messing with her for a while now. The boy hits her calls her bad names and is constantly bullying her. He threw milk at her while they were at lunch, she jumped over the table and jumped on him and started beating him up and the principal broke up the fight and I ran to my sister to see and the principal yelled at me and told me to get back. I told him to F off and that’s my sister. He yelled at me and said but up before you get into trouble.

After that I followed my sister and the principal and he called my mom and she came to the school and the principal said “Breeanna is in a ton of trouble and she is gonna get suspended for 5 days.”

My mom said “Why is the boy has Been bullying her for a while and you guys haven’t done anything about it.”

“Sorry ma’am we had no clue this was happening, I’m still going to have to not suspend her,and I’m gonna suspend the boy that’s been messing with her.’

Thank you very much have a good day.” My left and that was it.

A very special family member is my great grandma she was a very strong women who raised 5 children, 3 girls and 2 boys. My great grandma is Special to me because she is a very strong woman she had a rough life and she still had a good life at the same time. I remember when my mom would go over to her house everyday and help her with her medicine and sometimes cook for her and dad are care of her. My mom came home with a bunch of stories that she had told my mom. My great grandma was someone that everyone went to when they had a problem, whether it was a work related program to relationship advice my great grandma was always there ready with coffee to listen and help us with our problems, she was our rock.

     My great grandma loved and got along with everyone. When my great grandma mother died I was heart broken, it was earlier in the morning around 4am. My mom got a phone call from my grandma and I remember waking up and seeing my mom crying. “Mama what’s wrong.” I asked. She can’t talk, my dad butts in and says “great grandma passed away a few hours ago.” I was so heartbroken I started crying and I wished I had spent more time with her, to this day I love and miss her she was a very strong woman.

A bright sunny day at the end of may it was my last few weeks of 8th grade, started just like any other day I got up like usual and went to school and met my friends and we waited until the bell rang for school to start. I went to class and we had a substitute teacher. And the class was loud and everyone was talking and screaming. The substitute couldn’t keep the class quiet, so he called the office and the principal came and told everyone to be quiet. The lunch bell rang and we all went to the cafeteria to eat lunch and we got done and we were walking to the playground and I noticed my friend mark was mad and kept looking a me and giving me dirty looks. I asked him what’s the matter I thought him and his girlfriend broke up. He ignored me so i left it alone. We got to the field and we were all playing volleyball by then the bell rang and we were walking to class.

Then he came out of nowhere and punched me with a watch over his hand, all I remember was him hitting me and pushing me into the bushes and I blacked out. Then my friend all came up and my other friend Isaac Pulled me out of the bushes and ally started yelling at everyone to keep walking and back up before she started swinging. Then a yard duty came and walked us to the office and they went and got mark and he was already in the office before I was, the principal got both our stories. They waited 3 hours to call my mom and later we found out that i had a concussion.

My special birthday was my 14th birthday that year was exciting and terrifying because it was the year that I was going to start high school, I was scared because I wasn't sure what to expect. The day was may 24th and I woke up excited because it was my birthday and I asked my grandma for a phone, I wanted the iphone 5s so bad i was willing to do anything to get it. I went into the kitchen and my grandma was feeding her dogs like she does every morning and I said “Good morning.”

“Good morning honey, how did you sleep?”

“I slept good grandma, what about you?”

“I slept good honey.” I was expecting for her to tell me happy birthday instead she yelled at me “mop the kitchen floor now!”

“Okay grandma.” I was kinda sad because she didn’t tell me happy birthday. I moped the kitchen floor and after that I ate some leftover pizza that I hide from my siblings. She yelled “Come here!” so I went into her room and she told me to clean the kitchen, wash the dishes, vacuum the whole house, and dust everything.

After I did all that she told me to clean the yard and mow the lawn. When I was done she yelled “Take a shower and get ready.”

“Okay grandma where are we going?”

“Don’t worry about it, just get ready.” I took a shower and got ready to leave. We got into the car and she yelled “Where’s all my gas at?”

 


“I don’t know maybe mom used it all.” At this point she was heated and we went to get gas and then after that we went to

lunch and came home and my mom surprised me with the iphone. I realized my that my grandma was messing around with me she really wasn’t mad at, it was all for show. My grandma and I have a relationship where we mess with each other and joke around.

It was December 25, Christmas morning I was excited because of the presents and also every Christmas morning we have a Christmas breakfast potluck it’s our family tradition. We all go over my cousins house around 9am and we all get together to catch up with one another spend quality time with everyone. This year it was special because my aunt came down from oregon and we haven’t seen her in a couple of years. I was the closest to her because we would talk about everything she had my back and I had hers. I would always come to her for advice about anything. She came into the door and I bolted straight for her and gave her a big hug and she kisses me and I hug her even tighter. I let go of her and everyone is waiting in line to give her a hug and kiss, after everyone said hi. Breakfast was ready, we sat down and she sat across from me and we started talking “How’s oregon?”

“Honey it’s so nice, you guys should come and visit me, I have this huge house basically to myself my roommate is always out of state, and it gets very lonely honey.”

“I would love to come and visit you.” We a finish eating and she starts talking to my grandma and I pick up her and my plate and go to throw it away. I over hear them talking and my aunt wants to move back to stockton to be close to us. Later that year she moves back to stockton and is now living close to us.

My first video game was Grand Theft Auto San andreas it was a violent game. I remember my dad coming home one day and giving it to me and I was so happy I wanted this game for this longest. I put it in my Playstation 2 and I played all day and all night I loved that game so much. I was stuck on it, I stayed up all night to play it and slept all day and got up and played it, I beat the game in matter of weeks.

The game is about this guy and his mom being murdered and he has to go back home and find who the killer is. He has many obstacles and challenges. I was addicted to this game until one day my mom took it from me for a week I thought I was going to die because I couldn't play the game, all of my other games seemed boring to me all I wanted to play was GTA San Andreas. When I got it back I started my console up and ran to the bathroom when I came back My sister had taken the disc out and broken it, I was so devastated, I cried forever until my parents bought me a new copy of the game.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.