The Savior of Voz | Teen Ink

The Savior of Voz

By Mouse12345678, Mckinney, Texas
Mouse12345678, Mckinney, Texas

WHY!!!!

Author's note:

I purely made this for a school project and was like, what the heck, why not. So here we are. It's not my best work, so sorry if it stinks. I also ove anime, classic rock, and books

voz is voice in spanish

Long ago, there rested an island called Voz that was surrounded by sea for miles upon miles. It took several days to find another and most around it were uninhabited. To trade, sailors would spend months out on the sea, battling storms and the blistering heat of the sun. One year, when Voz was in desperate need of supplies, a group of sailors set out against a mighty storm. The oceans threw themselves at the sailors’ ship, the wood creaked and the mast swing violently. It took several days for the storm to pass and the sailors were at the brink of exhaustion when they came across an island that no one had seen before. The sailors dropped the anchor and swam in the crystal blue sea towards the mysterious island. Upon this island there was no tree, shrub, bush, or animals in sight; just a dark cave with ivy down its sides. The cave let off a powerful force of fear that made the sailors shake with fear as the shuffled inside its black mouth.
Carrying torches high, they made their way inside and down, down, down they went. On the walls, there were strange markings and symbols that were foreign to the sailors but they understood. It gave a warning of a girl in green with long red hair; it said to never tell her what her true name may be or….. The rest had faded away with time and age and the sailors continued on deeper into the cave. Soon, they came to stop in front of a gigantic room. Inside there were thousands, upon thousands of riches, exiotic fruits, drinks, and at the center of the room lay asleep a little girl with long red hair in a green dress. The aptian of the sailors rushed forward, scooping up the child with worry in his brown eyes. The child awoke and looked up at the captain’s scruffy face and giggled, her green eyes twinkling. The captain let out a breath of relief and ordered the sailors to take what they could fit on the ship as he walked out of the room with the child in his arms, failing to notice that the writing had disappeared.

Years later, the girl had her tenth birthday which the whole village came to celebrate. They put three long, wooden tables that made a triangle in the middle of the village square. Red lanterns were hung and flowers were scattered while mouth-watering aromas drifted through the air. When everyone in the village had arrived and found their place, the food was brought out. Smoked salmon, roasted pig, candied chestnuts, apple cider, and more extravagant assortment of food, drink, and deserts were placed in front of the hungry villagers. Song were played, children run underfoot, and everyone ate till they felt as if they were going to burst then ate some more. At the end of the celebration, the girl stood up in her moss green dress to go get some more food when the whole village shouted, “Sing! Sing for us!” The girl looked at the captain who nodded, saying, “Lorelei will sing for us.” the village cheered for she now had a name. Lorelei smiled and as she began to sing, the air around her started to spin, picking up flowers, lanterns, and more. The cloud began to grow cloudy and the sea crashed angrily at the island. All the men in the village, young and old, stood up and began to walk towards the girl with glowing white eyes. The women rushed towards the wind and pleaded for them to stop. One women stomped over to Lorelei, the wind trying to pull her away, and smacked the girl.

The wind stopped and the men's eyes returned to normal as Lorelei touched her red cheek and with tears in her eyes, sprinted away. The village was in shock and the captain sighed, waving everyone to come to him, told them the story of how they found her. Meanwhile, Lorelei ran to the highest cliff in the island and cried there through the night as the Moon whispering comforting words to her with the Wind and Sea. When dawn showed its rosy face, Lorelei had made friends with the moon, sea, and wind. She spoke with them and they spoke to her, sharing about their lives and laughing at their faults for they had become quick friends. The sea and wind played with her, splasking her and blowing air in her ear. At night, the moon would sing her to sleep and told her stories of times of old, when man fought over the silliest of things. Lorelei stayed there for many years, playing with her friends and gaining vast amounts of knowledge. She built a small hut on the cliff, out of palm fronds and logs from the forest’s trees that gladly dropped their old, dead ones for her. Lorelei gained the trust of the local animals yet never returned to the village.

“I am a freak,” Lorelei thought as she gathered firewood. “They would not want a weird freak like me there. I would just hurt people again.” Lorelei shuddered at the thought of what she had done, the feeling of no control as she sang. Sighing, Lorelei thought out loud, “I wonder if my dad has forgotten me yet.” Wind, with his white hair and blue eyes wore a bright yellow shirt and a darker shade of yellow pants, jumped in front of Lorelei, saying “Of course not, silly! He still worries about you. I hear him talking about you constantly, even if the village calls him insane. He wants to come look for you but he is too old and no one else wants to find you.” Lorelei smiled and thanked wind who grinned and skipped around her as they walked back up the cliff. Later that night, as Lorelei laid on the cool grass in thought about her upcoming eighteenth birthday and about her adopted father, Sea came to visit her. He had on a long, white tunic and his long, dark blue hair was strung up in a ponytail. His eyes were deep and black, like the bottom of the sea. He sat down beside her saying, “Lorelei, I know you are happy up here but you should really go down to your village. You cannot continue to stay her with us, talking to the trees and animals.” Lorelei was shocked and hurt. “I thought I was your friend! Why can I not stay here? I like it here with you, wind, and moon. I like the trees and animals. They do not think I am weird like the people in the village. They do not consider me a freak. “ Angry, Lorelei sprung up and stalked away, tears stinging her eyes.
She ran to her hut and closed the door with a slam, throwing herself on her bed. A gentle knocking came from her door and Lorelei mumbled a come on in. Moon, with her silver hair and glowing eyes wore a long white dress, and stepped into the hut. Lorelei sat up, wiping away her tears as Moon sat next to her. Moon looked at Lorelei like a mother would, with love and adore. She said, “Lorelei why do you cry? Is it because of Sea? You know his feelings are like the breeze. He loves you, quite much yet seems to never say such. He did not mean to hurt you in such.” Lorelei laughed at Moon’s rhyming and Moon giggled, “He is worried about you, as are we. We have seen what humans can do when cast away, like a broken doll to the rain. We just want you to be happy with who you truly are, not with what others think you are. So try and rejoin your home, you will do great, I have always known.” With that Moon patted Lorelei on the head and whisked out of the hut. Lorelei smiled and fell asleep dreaming of her village and friends all together, singing and dancing.

The next morning, Lorelei went and found Sea and apologized for storming off. Sea gave her a big hug and she promised that she would consider what he said. Sea grabbed her shoulders suddenly and exclaimed, “TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAY!” Sea quickly ran off and left Lorelei in a shocked state which broke when she saw Sea, quiet, respectful Sea, dragging a very tired Moon and surprised wind towards her. The asked Sea what was wrong while looking at Lorelei confused. Sea yelled again, “IT IS LORELEI’S EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY!” Moon and Wind looked at each other and then yelled, “IT IS HER BIRTHDAY!” Moon ran up to Lorelei and spurted out rhyming apologies while wind ran around. Lorelei smiled, saying, “It is ok. Calm down already! You guys have already given me the best Birthday Present.” They looked at her confused and she laughed, “You guys are my friends and that is all I want.” They all smiled and pulled her into a hug then dragged her off to play games and eat some of Wind’s latest stealings from the village which Moon, Sea, and Lorelei all scolded him with food in their mouths.

Later that night, Lorelei woke up choking on smoke and her eyes stung. She bursted out of her hut and looked around, wondering what was wrong. She looked down to the village and gasped. A fire had started and was slowly consuming the village. Lorelei trembled and bit her lip. She wanted to help but there was a part of her that was terrified of going back. Lorelei looked closer and say her adopted dad was about to be crushed by a falling house beam. Lorelei’s mind went blank and she ran towards the village, singing to the Moon, Wind, and Sea. She sang for Wind to blow the fire out, for Sea to wash away the flames, for Moon to guide her. She sang till her lungs burst yet still continued. Wind swept past her towards the village, Moon lite her a path so she would not falter, and Sea raised his waves towards the village. Lorelei’s song luired the people away from the village, their eyes glowing and she stood in the village square once again, singing her heart out. Sea and Wind destroyed the flames while Moon led the villagers away. Lorelei let go of her hold on the villagers once they were safe and her adopted father looked down at her and whispered, “Lorelei, you are the Murmuring rock who saved us with your song. Thank you, my daughter. May you be forever safe and loved.” Lorelei smiled at her village, Voz, the people who now accept her, and waved as she went away with the Moon, Wind, and her best friend the Sea, traveling around the world, luring those in need away from danger.