Excerpts: Mildly Interesting Stories of Middle School | Teen Ink

Excerpts: Mildly Interesting Stories of Middle School

May 2, 2018
By isaac_newton21, Springville, Utah
More by this author
isaac_newton21, Springville, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I'm a seventh grader. I love my friends, writing, and memes.

August 2, 2017-12:18 pm
So, yeah...I’m trying this journal thing. Don’t expect any of that “Dear Diary” crap, because first, this is a journal. Second, well...just no. I’m not going to do that.  I probably won’t write in it alot. But, who cares? Probably won’t do it a lot but yeah. That could be cool.

August 21, 2017-7:12 am
Tomorrow I’m starting at a new school, run by a new district, and I don’t know...anyone. Well, except Jake, but he’s in my ward so that doesn’t count. He is a friend of mine though, so at least I have one. I actually do know some people from when I went to Brookside, like Bryson, but that was like three years ago, so it would probably be really awkward running into them. Great way to start middle school isn’t it?

August 21, 2017-6:10 pm
Just went to an open house at the school. I got there, I got a locker, (on the bottom row. I’m gonna try to change that.) toured the school, met my teachers, and...it was actually pretty fun. I feel kind of dumb for being so scared. I did really have fun though! The building was huge! Like two or three times bigger than my old school. The teachers all seem pretty cool, especially Mrs. Porter, my Utah Studies teacher. She was super awesome. Mrs, um...Edenfield? Yeah, Edenfield, my english teacher. She seemed pretty cool too. Oh, also, my PE teacher, (I forgot her name,) seemed really cool! I never thought I would say that, considering that PE is the worst subject of all time by far.

August 22, 2017-6:00 pm
That has to be the most chaotic first day ever! Like seriously, it’s not like I didn’t enjoy it or anything, but that was a lot of stuff to be crammed into one day. As I was getting to my first period class, (wow, that feels weird to say,) Ethan, (he was a friend from kindergarten,) was telling me he was in like, Math Honors Plus? I think that’s what it was called. I was already super excited to do normal honors math, but this seemed way cooler. So before I went to first period I went to the counselling office and told the 7th grade counselor that I wanted to transfer to that class. I gave him the money, and ran to first period. I ran in right when the bell rang and sat down next to Ethan, who I had known in kindergarten, and this kid Zach. I had CCA with Mr. Parker. He seemed cool enough, but not really on top of everything.
Then I went to science, and this class I was really excited for! I was sorely disappointed. I feel kind of bad saying this, (I don’t know why though, it’s not like anyone is gonna read this,) but I really didn’t like the teacher. Her name is Mrs. Hotchkiss and...yeah. She was like, a pretty boring teacher, and that’s saying something because I freaking love science! She just seemed kind of disconnected from everyone. As I went to go to my 3rd period class, I was called to the front office and Mr.7th grade counselor gave me a new schedule and I rushed off to my new 3rd period class, Math Honors Plus. I got there late, but that’s fine. It was amazing! I honestly just freaking love math. It’s just pretty amazing how much we have built math to be over the years. Yeah, the teacher seems really cool too.
By far the funnest class of the day though, was Utah Studies with Mrs. Porter. She is one of the coolest teachers I have ever met, like seriously. She was super funny and, knew what she was talking about. Towards the beginning of class, she set some ground rules. Number one being, “Work hard, don’t be a buttface, and you’ll be fine.” Can’t get more simple than that. I could probably apply that to some current, and challenging, and new event happening in my own life...nah. Don’t be an idiot Isaac.

September 2, 2017-9:00 am
I think I’m really getting the hang of things. I’ve got some friends, imagine that. That’s-ah...that’s a joke. and the classes are fun for the most part. PE is bearable, especially compared to my old school. My PE teacher was literally just the receptionist at the front desk, so I guess I can’t complain about Mrs. G, who is my new PE teacher. But anyway, friends. Yeah...I got em. Mainly Ethan. He’s a pretty cool dude. Yeah, we were in the same kindergarten class, but I never really knew him. I usually hang out with Travis during math. Oh, and Zach. I’m not quite sure what to think of Zach at this point. He is definitely a character. Big dude, big personality. He spends any time before the bell goes off, by visiting wiki pages on various guns and correcting all the mistakes. Sometimes he pulls up pictures of his favorite guns and just...stares at them.
I think some rough stuff has happened in his family recently. He was gone for like a week, and when he came back, he said he was visiting his brother in prison. I feel bad for the guy. Yerp a derp.

December 12, 2017-7:45 pm
Haven’t written in a while...um. I swapped numbers with someone, a girl at that. That was new, for lack of a better term...and it was pretty cool. The amount of homework in this school is so drastically different than my old one! Like, there’s so much! Write this essay. Write that essay! Oh by the way, you have a  week to read a novel, over 300 pages, do a creative project on it, and a 15 page book report covering it! Ok, that last one isn’t real...but it feels like that. Oh, I also have a dance in a few days. I’m out. (I’m trying to have kind of a sign off, it’s stupid. It’s gonna be inconsistent and probably annoying, but...eh.)

December 17, 2017-6:05 pm
So…the dance was last night. I’m still not completely sure what to think of it. On one hand, it was my first dance, so I guess it was cool. It was overall pretty fun. I got to hang out with some people, mainly Andrew. So that was super fun, but some pretty crappy things happened too. I eventually did dance with someone, but while we were dancing, she said something along the lines of, “Well, you’re not really the person I wanted to dance with. He’s over there. But you’ll do.” Yeah, um...tha-that sucked. :( BOOSH I’m out. (See? Stupid.)

January 12-2:42 pm
It’s the new semester so I got new teachers and new classes! They all seem great so far, except for CCA with Mrs. Bird. She is the worst! Like seriously, good lord! I think she has basically stopped caring about teaching, and...like everything! Her student teacher is a better teacher BY FAR! For a teacher who has been teaching for so long that is like seriously sad. Mrs. Bird should be kind of embarrassed.
Yeah, all the other teachers are pretty awesome. My art teacher is super awesome, and we are learning some pretty interesting stuff. Nothing I don’t know already, but it’s cool to have an actual teacher for feedback. Also, Mrs. Riggs, my creative writing teacher is very fun. But the greatest improvement has been that I don’t have to use the locker room anymore. I hate that place! Goodbye to deodorant grated along the lockers, to no personal space, and to freakin PE! I just hate PE...so much. Yeah...entry done, I guess.
Oh wait, nope! I also have some pretty awesome friends now. Like really fun. So, there’s Zach, yup that kid I sat next to in CCA with Parker. He is one of the funniest people I have ever met. Probably the funniest thing, for me at least, that has ever said wa-no wait. You need context. Ok, so basically, we were debating about the gay community, as ya do. I am all for people being gay, cause why wouldn’t you be? He absolutely isn’t. So what he said was, “50% of me is against gays. 50% percent of me...loves all people!” That was amazing.
Oh, and Piper. She’s pretty awesome! She’s super funny, and cool. Yeah, um...sh-she’s just great. I’m should stop writing about this. But what’s to be embarrassed about really? Entry officially OVER!

February 16, 2018-Valentine’s Day-6:00 pm
Yesterday was the Valentine’s Day dance! And a little indie film comes out today. You may have heard of it, um...BLACK PANTHER! You probably noticed that it wasn’t on Valentine’s day, the school should work on that. But it was great! Waaaaaaayyy better what was the personal tragedy of the Christmas dance. Yeah, I got to hang out with Andrew, and Jaron, which was great! Andrew borrowed my phone to text his dad to take him home early. He was really tired. When we texted his dad, he pretended to not be Andrew’s dad. It was really funny! Andrew kept saying it was from a friends phone, and that he was his son and...oh the guy probably wasn’t joking. Hmm. I also got to dance with someone! Twice. The first time was kind of a huge surprise. Jake, who is like 3 feet tall, weighs like 2 pounds...you know the guy. He shoved me, with very surprising strength over to Piper. He then proceeded to yell, “DANCE WITH PIPER! DO IT!” over and over again. And we did. That was pretty fun. Andrew thought it would be fun to run up to us, duck under our arms, and just stand in between us. That...not so fun. But the next time, Piper’s friend, Abbie, dragged me to Piper and we danced again. That was really super fun! Still awkward because, I don’t know...teenagers? Yeah, so overall, it was great! I got dragged around by little people a surprising amount of times, but I also got to dance with someone without it going terribly! I think I like school dances now.

April 27, 2018-1:27 pm
I am now like 3 or four weeks away from the end of school! The last time I wrote on this thing was like...two months ago? Yup, two months. A lot has happened since then. I finally got Mr. Rencher for CCA! Yes, he is just as awesome as everyone has told me. I also have this new “creative project” in creative writing. That’ll be pretty fun! I Kinda want to do a personal narrative about this year so...I am probably just gonna copy and paste this journal onto that doc. I’ll remove this part of course. I want people to think I actually did work on this project.
Um...school has been going great! I have done some fun stories in creative writing, my favorite being the sci fi story I did. Yeah, I have great friends in Piper, Zach, CJ, and many others, but they’re the main ones. We started a group chat, like two days ago. So yeah...we are gonna start SAGE testing in like a week! I’m super excited about that. I love SAGE tests because they are pretty hard, and most tests I take are not that hard. OH GOD! How did I forget? I saw Avengers: Infinity War last night. What, you haven’t heard of it? Oh, it’s just the biggest cinematic event in this century! And it was fuuhh-freakin’, it was freakin’ amazing! It exceeded all my expectations, which is saying something, cause I had sky-high expectations. But seriously, wow! It was ballsy! It had like actual stakes, and real consequences! Oh...that was such a good movie. Anyway, you’re not here for a movie review, but I could write an entire paper on everything that movie got right.
So, it’s been fun writing...in you, but I have a crap ton of homework.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.