Forstbitten Heart

Author's note: I wrote this piece because a friend of mine had moved away and sometimes it feels as though...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I wrote this piece because a friend of mine had moved away and sometimes it feels as though she had died. We might still be friends but just not as close as we used to be. 

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Chapter 2

I got off the bus and walked to the school building only a few feet away from me. It was a big school but only a few hundred kids in each grade level. From ninth grade all the way to 13th grade. It could be better but I am getting more noticed by teachers because of the fact that I am working much harder than I used to, but I think that they see through the little act I know that I play. I am only working harder to get my mind off things, and they can see it. I walk into my first class, math with Mr. Snurmen. He smiled at me as I walked into his classroom that was empty for all but him and me. "Do you need some more help, Lauren Hunter?" He asked me watching me as I walked farther into the classroom to take my seat. I nodded my head and got my notes and math notebook out of my backpack that I had gotten out of my locker. He smiled and got up to sit right next to me.

"What I am getting confused on is this right here. I know that we went over Binomials but the more times I read my notes the more I get confused about them," I told him. He smiled and looked over my homework smiling at it. I could tell that he was looking for something that I could try and do better, but he had taught me every single trick in his book that he knew how to do. He smiled at it and handed it back to me.

"You do understand binomials but what you need to work on is quadratics. You don't seem to understand it. Here let me help you out a bit more. I am going to advise that you ask questions in class more, Lauren. I am not going to be here tomorrow morning so you will have a sub and she is not going to help you in the morning. I have told her to not help you in the morning or after school if you were thinking about staying a little while longer to get some help that you don't really need. You are doing just fine in math and all of your other classes from what I hear. Anyway, this is the formally you will have to know," He wrote down the factored form to help me try and find the vertex of the problem. I was more thinking about the fact that he was not going to be here tomorrow and I wasn't going to get help. I wasn't going to come to school if my mom and dad had their way. I was about to tell him that when the bell rang and the class filled with people. I pulled all of my things closer to me and watched as everyone came in and took their seats, and the class started.

I was hardly listening when the role was called and my name was skipped over because he already knew that I was here. I snapped out of it the moment I heard him start to teach the class about the x-intercepts and began to write down the notes of everything he was saying and writing on the board. You would be amazed by how many times I look up in the class from my notes. It was why I liked his class, because he said everything that he wrote down on the board because he knew that people would be too busy to look up from their notebooks to see it, and he told everyone in perfect detail. Math wasn't my strong point but I was trying to get much better at it, mostly because it was helping me stay at the top of the class and it was going to get me into a good place. I was already in a great place. Top of all my classes, with A's from the second half of the year and on. That was when she had gone away. I heard the bell ring after an hour and got everything packed up and was out the door and onto my next class all the way across the school.

I was going to the science hall on the other side of the school, walking faster than most people with my head down and hearing everything that was said around me. I made it to the classroom in a minute because of how fast I was walking. This was Ms. Phillips room and I was going to need to talk to her about getting some more help on my school work. The moment I walked in she had the same worried look on her face as my mom and dad had when I ran out of the house. "Lauren, your mom called me this morning right after you left your home in a hurry. You left your homework there, so I will expect to get it tomorrow before my class starts," She told me, "She also mention that you will not be coming to school anymore after today." I saw her hesitate slightly as she watched me put my things down under my desk. She walked over to me and took my hand, "Lauren listen to me. We all know you have been going through something and it is okay if you want to talk or leave early. It is okay. I want you to know that we, teachers, do know something has been up with you working a lot harder than you normally do. Tell me, Lauren, what is going on?" She asked me still holding my hand. I yanked it away from her like she burned me.

"Nothing. I was having a problem on the homework last night and now I forgot it so I can't get your help on it. Dang it well, do you have a spare homework sheet? I still really need help on this problem," I told her changing the topic as fast as I could. She shook her head at me and pulled out a spare homework sheet. I looked through it and point at the one with how much air would it take to make a hot air balloon rise and fall. She shook her head slightly at me and leaned over it to see it more clearly. She had just started to explain how it was done when a very loud group of students step into the room followed by more and more and just then the bell rang. She gave me a sorry look and walked to the front of the classroom. I was going to need to do these after school and during lunch more than just in the morning.

I had to avoid looking at the teacher or anyone in the room for the rest of my science class. The teacher would always come back and look at me just like my mother and then I would see other people in the classroom follow where she was looking and see me with my head in my notebook taking notes. I was very unfortunate because halfway through the class she said that everyone had to work in a group of three and no one had wanted to work with me so I ended up being in a group of four with little if anyone in the group who was really focused on doing work. Halfway through the class, I had to get up and go to the restroom just to not be started at anymore. I went back to the class when it was almost done and saw that she had let the class out early. I grabbed my stuff and started to stuff it in my bag and go to my next class, but was stopped and held back. "Do you feel better now? And your group got a two because of you," She told me thoughtfully. I looked up at her in shock.

"I know that you always say take responsibly if it was your fault but this was not my fault. It was theirs. They kept staring at me like I had grown a second head! ... Oh well, fine I guess I can't talk you out of getting me a good grade so what can I do to improve on my grade?" I asked her looking back down at the floor. When she didn't answer for a minute I looked up at her and saw that she was frowning at me. I shook my head and went to grab up the rest of my stuff. If she wasn't going to tell me then I wasn't going to stay behind and wait till she told me. I finished stuff in my notebook and papers back into my backpack before she answered.

"Nothing. You are top of the class, missing only one thing, and there is nothing I can do to make you look up from the notebook you are always looking in. I haven't even seen you read a book in a month. And your grades have been spot on the dot since then. Are you still reading? Everytime you read I see something different in you. Like you're ... not here. I don't see that now and now is when you need it the most. Please just read a book again, or at least try to for your mother. If not for her then do it because you need it for your own health," She told me looking at me very seriously. I shrugged her off and almost ran out of her classroom to my next one.

The last class before lunch that I had was English VIII. I liked writing the most so I had more of it in my day than most. These were the only classes that I never had to stay after to even try to get a better grade in. I had one notebook just for one script that I was making in another class. I walked in and sat down while I pulled out my notebook with the short story I was working on for this class. The project for the week was to make a short story using everything that we know and to turn it in on Friday with nothing misspelled or the short story, not complete. It had to look like someone had gone through it and scrubbed out everything and polished it to make it seem like a class full of high school students had not been forced to write a short story and have it turn out bad. The teacher looked up from his desk. I liked this teacher the most out of any of my teachers. He understood things and could read people better than they could read themselves.

"I see that you do not even give yourself a free second," Mr. Sculks told me coming over and reading over my shoulder at my story. I moved my hands to hid it and heard him chuckled slightly. "Why do you hide your work? You are much better than you think, and besides, I am going to read it at some point. I do have to grade this," He said and walked to stand right in front of me. He looked about 80 but he was really only 60 years old. I sighed and uncovered my work and held it out for him to see. He shook his head with a smile, but took it and looked it over. I could see that he was enjoying reading my story. He had given us all the same thing to write about. The prompt of it was that it had to be about a teen girl going through something really life to change. I knew that at the time he was thinking about me when he gave that out to read. "I like how you are using this prompt. It seems that you are putting more into this than the rest. Would you like to have a day to just read someone else's story?" He asked me and handed me back my notebook. I shook my head and looked up as I heard him start to laugh and lean on the back of the chair in front of me.

He was still there when people started to come in, "Are you sure? I can see that a lot of people in this class would like to see and hear what you have written. If you are sure then mind if I read a bit of it out to the class?" He asked looking at everyone as they came in through the open door and made their way to their seats. No one in this class was a Junior, but me. I was in 10th grade. I knew that if I said no to this he was just going to call me out and have me read it myself. I looked down at my notebook and held it out to him without saying anything and without a moment of warning, I felt it leave my hands. I did not look up when he started to call people for the role. Most of my teachers just skip over me in the role because I am there before everyone else and they know that I am there, and he did skip over me like normal. I looked up as I heard him call my name out and he smiled something that he meant to be reassuring. "Now that I have EVERYONE's attention. Shall I begin reading out this story that one of your classmates has agreed to let me read?" Everyone nodded knowing who he was about to read from.

"Well, you might not know much about me but I am in your class. I know that many of you have gone through much more in life than me but something has been on my mind and I haven't been able to get it out in the open. My best friend died to a drunk driver a couple of months back. She was the only friend that I really had, and her death did change me. I don't know if you have been through worse, but I have not been through life as much as some people who much worse things happen to. So this is my life changing story.

"It began on a nice day. It was a weekend of course, and my friend and I were walking to the biggest park in town. Some of you might know it as the upside down park. We like it so much because of how big the park is. The one part of the park we go and play in is the wooded area. She was Wolfe, as I called her. And I was Vampy, as she called me. We would play a game that we made up. It is called the Vampire Werewolf game of tag. It is where one was the vampire and the other the werewolf would run around in the little-wooded area and we would chase each other around. It was a nice day and we were playing the game until the moon started to rise in the sky. I hadn't even seen that the sun was setting. The best part about the moon rising was that every time she saw the moon she would howl up at it and I would join her and we always sounded like a pack of wolves making a time and place for a secret meeting. I heard her howl and howled right back to her laughing. I looked up and howled back this time in warning because we were going to have to go back to my house soon and she howled an answer and we went outside the woods, as I called them. She was smiling and laughing and I was too.

"If we had been paying closer attention to the road we would have seen him. But we weren't and then she wasn't there. I had stood far enough away from the road where as she loved to walk almost in the middle. 'Wolfe? Hey, I-' was as far as I got in my question. She wasn't standing next to me anymore. She was laying on the ground a few feet behind me as I saw the driver keep going. I looked up and down the road trying to find her in the dark but could see hardly anything. I had to get my phone before I saw her. When I saw the mangled body of what used to be my best friend I don't know how to explain this. I was in shock and that she was just hurt and not killed. I tried to wake her up by telling her that she would be fine. I tried to push her to wake up. I tried almost everything I could until I felt my eyes heavy with tears.

"The next thought in my mind was 'please don't let Wolfe be dead' I ran over to..."

" It is said, Wolfie. Not just Wolfe, " I muttered under my breath. The teacher looked over at me and smiled.

Starting the story again," Her and felt for her pulse and when I found none I screamed for help and looked around in the moonlight to see if anyone saw what had happened. No one had seen what had happened. I felt my face burn red hot and tears wet my eyes as I heard a small little howl come from somewhere. It sounded like it was in pain. I raised my head to answer it and out came a long painful howling cry from me. I closed my eyes as the howl went on and on and on. After a moment I felt myself slump to the ground right next to her, and then nothing. I felt nothing after that. If someone had told me at the start of the day that she would be killed I would have laughed at them, but at that moment the only thing I could even think was 'I am going to get him back. I am going to hurt him.' I had a plan in my head about this drunk driver that took her from me. I was lucky that the next time I opened my eyes I was in the backseat of a car all by myself. Someone was driving the car I felt that it was moving. I raised my head a little to see-" The bell that made him stop and look up at the class with tears in his eyes made him stop reading and close the book. He waved everyone away and when everyone was gone he gave me my notebook back. I took it slowly and gave him a tissue. He waved me away as well.

"I am sorry to hear about that," He snuffled. "Not- not many can make me- me cry like this," He whispered. I looked at him for a moment and when he regained himself I left the room with little thought at all. Now the class knew part of what I had gone through, and it wasn't even lunchtime. I had made a teacher cry, one teacher worry, and another just flat out tell me that something was wrong, all before lunch.

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »