Moon Rays | Teen Ink

Moon Rays

By KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

I was sitting on a bench in the park watching the fountain they just turned on after the winter and early spring.  I was in a daze, thinking about a new piece of music when I heard,
“Where were you?” said my best friend Darcy Withers as I looked up. 
“Oh, I was...,” she cut me off, “You were working on that piano piece all night again weren’t you,” she accused. 
“Yeah, it’s just I’ve been working on it for awhile and I think I have it done besides it was only till 10:30 and my homework was done.  What’s the problem…?”   Then I remember she had invited me to go with her and Austin to the movies and walk around the mall. 
“That is the third time you blew me off this month, Austin and I waited outside the mall for like twenty minutes!  Besides, you can’t keep stressing about this you’re putting too much thought into it.” 
She was starting to make me anxious, “Look Darcy I really think you should go on dates with him by yourself, not me as a third wheel,” Darcy looked a little agitated.
“Alright,” She said, “The truth is we were trying to set you up with Pearce again and thought if we did tell you, you would bail.  You did that anyway but still.” 
I looked at her with surprise she and Austin had been trying to get Pearce and me together for a while.  He’s the captain or participant of almost all the sports teams.  Also the rudest annoying and conceded guy in high school not to mention the stupid nicknames he gives everyone. 
“Darcy I told you I don’t want to go out with him he’s conceded and rude to everyone,” I said with disgust. 
“To everyone but you!” she emphasized and poked me in the shoulder.  “I can’t believe you stop trying to play match maker or I won’t be coming anywhere with you ever again,” she just stared at me. 
“I’m sorry Darcy I must be upset due to lack of sleep,” I looked at her with my weak apology.
She smiled back, “Alright Isella you win, I won’t set you up anymore.  But on one condition!” she said with a sparkle in her eye.
“I’m not agreeing until you tell me what it is,”  I decided that the last time she did that to me in tenth grade when she made me go on a date with Mason Cobley, he was gross and kept putting his sweaty arms around me.  I didn’t talk to her for a week! 
After biting her lip for a few seconds she told me, “Alright I’m throwing a party after school Friday, well tomorrow, you have to come,” she mused, “If you don’t show I’ll keep bugging you with Pearce!” 
“Oh, is that all,” I said with heavy sarcasm.  I weighed my options for a second, “Alright I promise I’ll go.” 
“Yes!!” she shrieked.
I got up and yelled over my shoulder, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”  I thought about it and well today is Thursday so I have one night to get out of it or plan my outfit and stuff.  I figured I wouldn’t fight with Darcy and just find good attire for party. 
The next day, I was thinking in depth about the party.   I’m a little socially awkward so I decided I would just stay away from big groups of people and stay around as little as possible.  Then I walked right into something or rather someone totally losing my focus.
Great just what I need there standing in front of me helping me up with a snicker was Pearce Granger, “Hey Island Ella, let me help you out.” I smiled half-hearted and nodded.  See what I mean about the nicknames; at least it’s better than some others.  “Well then mind if I take you to the party Friday, it will make us even, fair trade for this little accident,” he said with a grin.
“No Pearce I can’t I’m busy,” I said. 
He looked at me awkwardly like that was something that never happened, because it was. “Well what are you doing?” he said with a bit of a sneer. 
“Well it’s none of your business,” I mocked him then I left.  I had to get to Physics, which I was almost late for because of the pointless conversation; so I was seated in the back of the class.

It wasn’t so bad when I found out whom I was sitting next to though, Adrian Cassarres.  He is the lead singer of our high school choir and honors choir.  He was tall, muscular, dark haired, had a more russet colored skin, and milky brown eyes.  But most of all he was perfect and my best friend even more than Darcy.  Adrian’s father and mine are very close, but I can never bring myself to have a conversation with him. Since I’m so shy I don’t talk to him much anymore.  We used to talk all the time when we were younger but now I barely look at him. My ginger hair with lighter streaks was strait all the way to the small of my back; my skin was very light and my eyes were ice blue.  I was probably background to him, unless it was just Adrian and I.
We just watched a video in Physics so I wasn’t paying too much attention.  I was too busy peeking at Adrian through my hair, which I used for all my classes as a curtain so I wouldn’t have to look at anyone.  In this case it was so he couldn’t see I was looking at him.  I was sketching his profile that was always cheerful and smiling, when my pencil slipped and fell under his chair.  ‘Just my luck, maybe I’ll just leave it I’m sure I have another pencil’ I thought.  Unfortunately for me he saw the pencil and whom it belonged to.
He whispered to me, “Hey, I think you dropped this Ella.”
“Thanks, but you can keep it,” I said.  He looked at me smiled then said, “No thanks, I already have a bunch.”  Before I could say anything else our teacher, Mr. Holt, turned on the lights and told me to be quiet; the bell rang and Adrian was out the door before I could say anything else to him.
I was caught off guard when I walked out the door and went to my locker, which was three sections down from the Chemistry Lab; Adrian was waiting for me.  I said hi and exchanged my books out for my choir folder.  He asked if I would walk with him.  I, without a thought, said yes as we walked all the way to the other wing of the school.
“So…,” he said. 
I looked at him with bright eyes and a smile, “I was wondering if you wanted to go somewhere after school or something.”
I almost frowned, “I can’t I have to find something to where to Darcy’s party tonight.  I’m sure you wouldn’t want to go and do that after school.  I normally don’t go out and do stuff like that so maybe some other time.”
He smiled, “Actually I would like to go because my mom owns the dress shop downtown.  You’ve never seen her there have you?” 
“No I don’t think so; if I did I was pretty little. But it sounds fun so sure,” I replied.  “Meet me at my truck after school and I’ll take you there,” he smiled at me.
I smiled in return, “Alright I’ll cancel my ride with Darcy.”  Adrian held the door open and we went into class.
After the three o’clock bell I went to my locker to put all my books away then headed to the parking lot.  I looked for Adrian’s blue 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 that he had bought from my dad a few years back and fixed it up. 
It was at the far end of the parking lot where was waiting and he helped me in, “So about earlier when you said you don’t normally go to parties and shop after school, I have something to confess.”
I looked confused and then said, “Go for it.” 
“Okay, I know you normally don’t do that because I’m in the Tech. room after school to clean up and stuff since my dad is the Technology teacher and all.” 
“Go on,” I probed.
“Well, when you play the piano and sing after school.  I hope you don’t mind but I listen a lot more than I should sometimes. I listen however long you’re there most times.  I tell my dad I have things to catch up on and sit in the back while you work.”
I looked at him astonished, “I don’t mind, but don’t you think I should know when you listen to me play?” 
He contemplated a minute, “Yeah, I suppose, but you’re so shy at school and I figured if I approached you, you wouldn’t play anymore.  At least not school and I couldn’t listen. By the way the piece you played yesterday was beautiful.” I smiled shyly and faced the passenger seat window. 
He took one hand off the wheel and put it over mine, “So about the party tonight would you mind if I asked you to go with me?”  I flashed a look at him with awe and nodded quickly as if the opportunity would disappear if I waited too long.  He looked surprised, which surprised me.
“What is there something wrong?” I almost started to panic. 
He flashed a grin, “No. I just thought you would turn me down.”
I giggled under my breath hoping he couldn’t hear, “What made you think that?” “Well…,” he started slowly, “I thought you were kind of going with Pearce.” 
This time I couldn’t hold it in and I burst into laughter, “Me… with Pearce?  Ha, I wouldn’t be caught dead with him.  He’s too pushy and conceded for me.”
Adrian laughed too, “I guess that explains a lot, he just talks about you way too much.” 
I laughed again, “Yeah, well he kind of asked me to the party and I turned him down, he wasn’t too happy with my today I guess.” 
Adrian replied with a smirk, “Yeah, not really he kept rambling on about not being able to bring you.  Then said he’d get your attention then he would ask you out…again.”
I grimaced, “No thanks, I don’t like him, besides I’m staying out if the light for the whole party.”
He pulled into a parking space and looked at me, “That’s too bad you’re too good for it.”  I smiled shyly and looked away again.  He told me not to open my door when he got out.  He came around my side and helped me out; we both smiled and went into his mom’s store.  His mom greeted him with a kiss on the cheek and he blushed slightly. 
She looked at me and gasped, “Adrian, you didn’t tell me you had a girlfriend.  You also didn’t tell me she was so pretty,” she said with a smile. 
He blushed even more, as did I, “Mrs. Cassarres I’m not actually date…,” Adrian cut me off, “Mom, did the new shipment come in?” 
She nodded, “Yes.” 
Something must have clicked because she slightly jumped back, “You’re Bo’s daughter aren’t you.” 
I nodded, “I’m Isella Hail.
She smiled, “Adrian talks of you often, and he says your good friends.  Anyway you can call me Samantha.” 
I smiled back, “Thank you…Samantha”
Mrs. Cassarres smiled at Adrian then me, “Mind if I take AJ for a minute?” 
I looked at Adrian, “No go ahead.”
They were talking for a while; I just stood in the front of the store and stared out the window.  I almost dived for the floor when I saw Pearce. 
Unfortunately he saw me first and he came in the store, “Hey Ella what’s up.  I didn’t know you went dress shopping.” 
I might as well talk to him he wasn’t going to leave, “I don’t.  Darcy wants me at her party.”  He smirked, “I know, I was still hoping you would go with me.”
I sighed, “Sorry Pearce, I can’t.” 
All of his facial expression disappeared, “Why?” 
I pressed my lips together, “I’m going with someone else.”
He stared at me, “I know, but why with him?  Why would you go with him?” 
I backed up and looked at him cautiously, “What’s it to you who I go with? You’re not in charge of me.”
Adrian cleared his throat behind me and I jumped forward.  Pearce took my arm and smirked quickly to Adrian.  I yanked my arm away and brushed my clothes off to show my annoyance.  Adrian offered his hand and I took it; Pearce cringed and this made Adrian smile.
I giggled and I could tell Pearce was getting mad so I stopped before a fight broke out, “Pearce I’m going to be busy so I can’t talk much.  Bye.”  I walked away and heard the little bell as the door closed. 
Adrian was beside me quickly, “I’m sorry I should have told you I was back.” 
I looked up at him; my eyes were moist and I hope he didn’t notice, “Its fine he’s just a jerk.” 
Adrian stopped me by taking my hand, “Isella what did I do, why are you crying?” 
I cringed, “There’s a pain in my chest.  It really hurts.”
His eyes were wide, “Sit down for a minute, it’ll feel better.” 
I did and about three minutes later I got up, “It feels better now.  I think it’s gone.” 
He smiled, “I’m glad now let’s find you a dress.”
Samantha came back from the counter, “So what do you two need again, I was so worried about talking to Adrian I never asked.” 
Adrian nodded at me, “Well mom, actually we were coming to meet you and Ella wanted to ask you something,” he flashed a smile.
I smiled back, “Yes, I was wondering if you would help me find a dress for a party I’m going to tonight.  I’m sorry it’s such short notice.” 
“Oh, it’s fine.  Out of motherly curiosity is my Adrian taking you?” she glanced at Adrian and smiled; Adrian stared at her. 
“Yes,” I nodded, “he asked me today if I’d like to go with him.”
She lit up like a Christmas tree, “Well let’s see what we can get for you, shall we.”  Then she led us into the rear of the store.  Adrian smiled and squeezed my hand. I smiled at him.
By the time we got to the back she already had an arm full of dresses for me to try on.  She handed them to me and sent me to the dressing room.  I came out a few minutes later with a teal dress that was tighter at the top all the way down to my waist; with tulle fabric at the shoulders that flared slightly for straps, my waist down was frilly.  “I don’t think this one will work for me,” I looked at her and she agreed. Adrian just sat in a chair by the dressing rooms while I tried the others on and looked when I came out.  The next dress was salmon pink and peach colored, (already a loss for me, I don’t like pink or look good in it).  It was very frilly and bulged out like the dresses in the 1800’s, with the sleeves around my shoulders instead of on them.  I thought I knew what Juliet looked like for a minute but it was pretty when she wore it, and in style.  Adrian’s mom and I had the same expression, and Adrian laughed when he saw us. 
I went through eight more dresses and I was about to give up when an unexpected dress flew over the door; it was silky, bright golden yellow, with a pale purple top, and a silver jeweled belt to separate the purple and yellow..  It had pale yellow tulle fabric over the bottom of the silky dress it also had yellow crinoline underneath that made it flare out a bit but not too much; it was a little lower than my knee. When I walked out Mrs. Cassarres gasped and clapped her hands before tugged on Adrian’s arm.  He looked up from his phone and stood up. 
Samantha smiled a big motherly smile and said, “You look very nice Isella, well should we take the tulle off to give it some vibrancy? Then tonight before the dance, come to the house I’ll give you the dress and we will do you hair.  Does that sound okay?” 
“Wow Samantha this is amazing, but um how much does it cost?” I asked. 
She smiled “Oh honey it won’t cost you a dime, think of it as a gift.” 
“Thank you Samantha.  Thank you so much, it’s really beautiful.  Also you can call me Ella if you like.”
“Oh you are very welcome dear,” she said. 
I came out of the dressing room with my original clothes on, faded jeans and a blue t-shirt, and walked over to Adrian.
“Your mom is so nice I really like her,” I said enthusiastically than noticed his expression, “Adrian, are you okay?”
He looked really spaced out and just kept staring at me, and then he snapped back.  “Oh yeah, I’m fine.  You looked really pretty in that dress,” he said still staring. 
“Thanks” I replied.  There was a long pause, “Um sorry I still can’t believe that dress on you it looked really good,” Adrian said smiling and finally turning his eyes away.
“Adrian, do you think I should go to this party?  I mean I don’t know if I can be around so many people at once,” I asked nervously.
He stood quickly and took my hand, “You’ll be fine, if you want though I won’t leave you alone unless you ask, that’s a promise.” 
“Okay, but I really should get home though before Darcy decides to call and I’m not there.  Plus dad will have a heart attack to know I’m not with her or at home, because I forgot to tell him I where I was going.  I also have to start dinner,” I said in a hurried voice.
“Alright I’ll take you home, I know how he gets”, he said with a smile.  I smiled back and we walked out of the store.
A couple of steps out I looked at him, “Thanks AJ, the dress is beautiful and it was nice to see your mom.” 
He nodded and smiled, “You’re welcome.”
He had parked a block away from the store so we had to walk a ways.  Then he stopped when we were halfway down the block.  I heard him grit his teeth as he stared forward.  I looked ahead and saw what he did.  It was Pearce, leaned against a wall about four yards ahead; but he didn’t seem to be doing anything.  Pearce looked up and walked toward us.  He stopped a good four feet away and looked at me then to Adrian. He smirked, “Hey, AJ; hello, Ella.” I groaned, “Hi Pearce.  What do you want?” 
Adrian squeezed my hand and pulled it back protectively like he heard something I didn’t.  Pearce didn’t help, he came on the other side of me and put and arm around my shoulders.  I shrugged it off and stepped closer to Adrian.  Pearce didn’t seem to like that much and took my other hand.  I yanked it away and spoke through my clenched teeth, “Stop touching me.”  He put his hands up in a defensive surrender.  Adrian coaxed me forward and Pearce stood there where we left him. 
Then he shot forward and was standing beside me, “So what are you up to Ella?” 
He pretended Adrian wasn’t there.  I glanced at Adrian; his jaw was clenched together and we were at a brisk walk now. 
“Pearce please just go away, I don’t want to talk to you right now.” 
Pearce shook his head, “Alright Ella I’ll talk to you later.  …See ya round AJ.”
I looked at Adrian, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell him to go away before I just…,” he cut me off, “It’s not your fault Ella I’ll explain things later.  Here…” 
He opened the car door and I slid in. He went around and sighed; he started the engine of the truck and we left the parking lot.
It was silent for a while but it didn’t last long I had to ask him questions, “AJ what was that about?  Why did Pearce just want to antagonize you?  What is wrong?  Is there something I don’t know?”  I rattled all of the questions off so quickly I wasn’t sure if I said them all and I didn’t know if he tried to answer any of them. 
He sighed, “Ella I promise all your questions will be answered soon.  Sooner than you think and I can’t answer them till then.  Can you hold on for just a bit longer?” 
I nodded, “I can.”  We were at my house and he walked me to the door. 
He hugged me, “I’ll pick you up at seven.  My mom will do your hair and then we’ll get to the party.”I nodded, “Okay, see ya then.”  He got into his truck and drove away.

When I went inside I got a phone call it was Octavia; one of the few friends I had at school, “Hey Ella I heard you’re going to the party tonight, are you?”  Not that she could she see but I stared blushing thinking of Adrian and I at the party together. 
“Yeah Tay I am, how did you find out?” She giggled a little then replied, “Oh, I heard Dee talking about it and she was so excited!” 
A lump formed in my throat, “Uh, Tay who was Darcy talking to?” 
“Oh, it was Pearce, can you believe it he was so psyched, he started doing flips in the parking lot.” 
She started to laugh really loud but I was too busy concentrating on how to get out of the party to worry about it, “Well thanks for the insight Tay, I’ll see you later.” I said quickly so I wouldn’t have to talk about the party anymore.
I lay on my bed almost regretted taking Dee’s offer and wondering if I could get out of it.  I thought to myself; I could stay out of the limelight, well that won’t work well.  I already promised people I was going, I can’t back out plus I can’t let Adrian down.  I can’t wait to see Pearce’s face when he sees me with him; and not all alone in some far away corner. 
I was trying to figure out what to do about that when my dad called from the stairs, “Hey honey, I’m home!” 
I decided making dinner would help me forget it. So I went downstairs to greet him, “Hey dad, how was your day at work?”
“It was fine, a little slow which is usual though; not that I’m complaining.  It just means that we teach our citizens well,” he chuckled, “and how was your day?” 
“It was fine.  I got invited to a party for tonight, which I found a dress for, and talked to Tay on the phone. Guess that’s about it.” 
He looked at me content like he already knew about something; he should know I know him better than that. “That doesn’t sound like you to go to parties, well not willingly; what’s this about?” as he continued to probe.
“It was to get out of Dee trying to get Pearce and me together.”
He chuckled, “Okay that sounds like you.”  I started to wonder about how much he new considering we live in a small town and he’s a firefighter here in Bradford, California, which happens to be 78 miles south of the Washington border and just a few miles from the beach. 
“Um dad, what are you really asking me?  I know you knew about the party and you obviously knew I was going because you half asked.”
He chucked in a lower tone, “Yes I knew you were going but I was suspicious why, you answered that but I can still tell there is something I don’t know,” he answered with a smug look. 
I flashed a grimacing look and decided he’d find out eventually, “Alright, I’m not going alone...”
He raised his brow still content, but and cut me off, “What do you mean you’re not going alone?”
I sighed, “Yeah I was getting to that, I’m going with Adrian Cassarres; you know his parents so I didn’t think it would be a big issue.  Plus you go fishing with his father almost every Saturday; I was hoping you would approve of us just going to a party with some friends.” 
He sat at the kitchen table and thought a moment, “Alright, you can go with him I have no reason to disapprove.  Besides I was hoping you two would go together.  I think you and Adrian would be a great couple.”
I jumped up and hugged him then blushed when he finished the last statement, “Stop dad.”
He grinned “Yeah sure” he said, with a hint of sarcasm. 
I scoffed at him and started dinner, “So what are we having Ella?”
“We’re having chicken tamale casserole and sour cream cubed potatoes.”
He smiled, “Oooo, well my favorite dinner, are trying to soften me up so I’ll let you go with Adrian?”
I grinned, “No Dad, I just had this planned for tonight, you know I make a list of what I’m making on Sunday’s; besides like you said it’s your favorite.” 
“I know dear I was just pulling your leg,” he chuckled. 
“Alright, now go on; out of the kitchen so I can work.  You know if you stay in hear I’ll never get anything done.” 
He laughed, “Okay, okay I’m going!”  I finally got him out so I could make dinner and not think.
Of course at the most difficult time to leave the kitchen the doorbell rings. 
“Just a minute!” I called.  I turned down the stove and oven temperatures. 
“Hello?” I said and jumped back when I saw Adrian at the door. 
“Hi,” he said with his big white smile. 
“Hey, what are you doing here?  You’re early,” I hugged him.
He chuckled, “You want me to leave?” he pointed toward his truck.
“No, I just wasn’t expecting you.  Well not yet anyway, it’s only five-thirty,” I smiled.  “Well good, it was supposed to be a surprise,” he smiled back.
My dad came to the door then and smiled at Adrian, “Hi, Mr. Hail.” 
My dad smiled, “Since when do you say that to me AJ?  You’ve always called me Bo, and no buts’ about it.  You’ve done it since birth might as well keep it going kid.” 
Adrian grinned, “Thanks Bo, I just thought since I was taking Ella to the party and stuff that you might think a little differently.” 
My dad chuckled, “Nah kid, I trust you; you’ve never given me a reason not to.” 
I interrupted a little, “Well Adrian, would you like to come in and have some dinner?” Then I smiled at my dad who was looking between us and smiling in a pathetic attempt to be nonchalant.
“Smells good Ella, what is it?” before I could answer my dad told him, “It’s my favorite one she makes.” 
Adrian grinned, “Ah, so this is the aroma of the amazing chicken and tamale casserole.” 
I blushed a bit, “I wouldn’t say amazing, but people seem to like it.” 
“People, so Bo’s not the only one who’s had it?  If you were having a party with this why wasn’t I invited?” he said pouting. 
My dad replied this time, “No party, just the guys at the station.  They try to come over almost every time they hear she’s making this.” 
Adrian chuckled and replied sarcastically, “So it’s not famous Ella?”
I gave them both an annoyed look, “Behave, dinner’s ready.”
Just then the doorbell rang, once, twice, three times.
Well, I knew who it was…unfortunately, “I’ll get the door and I’ll be right back, help your selves but save some for me.”  I went around the corner and took a deep breath.  I heard my dad and Adrian whispering about something. 
I got to the door and opened it, “Hey, Ella what’s up?”
I sighed heavy, “Can I help you Pearce?”  The whispering stopped as soon as I said his name. 
My dad came through the hall, “Hi, whatcha need Pearce?” 
Pearce smiled at him, “I came to talk to Ella, if that’s alright?” 
I responded before he could say anything, I didn’t want him seeing Adrian, “Can we talk outside?  My dad is eating dinner I’ll let him eat in peace.  Wait out here and I’ll get my jacket.” 
I closed the door while my head fumed. 
“Ella are you okay, I’ll come with you if you want,” Adrian asked concerned. 
“No AJ, I’ll talk to him in the woods.  I don’t want to be seen with him, besides you guys are eating,” I pulled on my jacket and pulled my long hair out of the collar.
He looked at me sympathetic but determined, “Ella I’m going to follow you in the woods whether you like it or not.  I won’t make a sound and I’ll even stay out of your way.  I’ll just keep an eye out.” 
My dad agreed, “Isella I think you should let Adrian watch you.” 
I sighed and weighed my options, even though there weren’t any, “Alright but stay hidden, and get a jacket it’s colder in the woods than in the sun.”  The trees here in Bradford are huge, absolutely intimidating, and blocked the sun to ever shine in those woods for the smaller trees.
I went outside and met Pearce at the opening of the woods where he leaned on a tree.
He shrugged off as soon as he saw me come out the back door, “Hey Ella, so can we talk for just a bit?”
I smiled half-hearted, “I guess, but I gotta be in soon.”
He chuckled, “So I heard from a couple of friends that you are going to Darcy’s party.  You sure you wouldn’t like me to take you?” 
I sighed, “Look Pearce, you’re cool and all just not my type.  Besides I don’t know what my dad would think.” 
He gave me a look that made me think he was mad, “Why does it matter what he thinks, he can’t control your life Isella.  Besides you need to be out there, you’re a cool girl Ella and you should be out more instead of in your room on Friday nights.” He Looked almost concerned for me now.  He never lets his guard down it was unusual.  This is a different him I was seeing and it almost scared me.  He was being…Sentimental.  I was paralyzed where I stood staring at Pearce.  I had never heard him yell at me before, let alone look like he actually cared about me.  He normally looked cool; like he was king of the world and could get any girl he wanted.
It was a few minutes later I think when he spoke, “Ella are you okay?  I didn’t mean to yell, I’m sorry.”
I couldn’t do anything, I just stared at him blankly, “Pearce don’t talk to me, just leave.” 
“Ella I’m sorry.  Please don’t make me leave,” he reached his hand out.  I lost it how could he do that? How could he talk about my dad like that, he takes great care of me. 
I clenched my fists, “Leave, I don’t want to talk to you right now.”  He left and I stood in the woods alone for a few minutes.  It was getting dark so I started heading back. 
Adrian met me on the way back, “Here let me carry you, you almost fell three times.”  I nodded and he carried me to the back door.
My dad met us in the door way, “Why was Adrian carrying you from the woods?” 
I looked at him, “I was falling a lot because I couldn’t see; Adrian carried me so I wouldn’t fall and get hurt before the party.” 
He smiled at Adrian, “Thank you for keeping her safe Adrian.  You two have fun at the party; take care of my daughter Adrian.  Have her back by eleven.” 
Adrian nodded, “Always, of course.”

I ate quickly and grabbed the shoes I was going to wear.  Adrian helped me in the car and we went to his house.  I walked in the door and his mom was waiting. 
She clapped her hands, “This is going to be so much fun,” I smiled and nodded. 
She handed me the dress, “Okay, go change into that and I’ll get things for your hair ready.” 
I smiled, “Okay.”  I went into the bathroom and changed.  When I came out there were a few choices for my hair that she had photo’s of and asked which one I liked.  One was my hair pulled all to one side and curled with a flower in the back to hide the pins. The second was my hair down and my bangs to one side.  Then where my hair was long right in the front would be braided and pined together in the back.  The last was a bun that was layered with curls.  There were two strands of hair that were placed beside my face and my bangs were braided and pulled to the side in the bun.  It had a flowery pin that went on top of the bun that matched my dress. 
I looked at Mrs. Cassarres, “The third one.  It’s perfect.” 
She nodded, “that’s what I thought, but I thought I would let you choose first.”  She sat me in a chair and Adrian left to get dressed.  When he came back down she was done and I was putting my shoes on.  She stood in front of me and stared. 
I looked up at him, “How do I look?” 
He shook his head, “Beautiful, gorgeous.” 
I smiled shyly, “Thank you.”  Mrs. Cassarres told us to have fun and be careful driving then we left.
Adrian looked at me when we got in the truck, “If Pearce bothers you, you’ll tell me right?” 
I nodded, “Of course I will.  I don’t want him around me as much as you don’t.” 
He smiled, “Good. You look beautiful, but I won’t let anyone take advantage of that.  You’re mine for tonight if that’s okay.” 
I smiled and blushed, “Sure.  I don’t want to be with anyone else anyway.”  He put his hand on mine and used the other wrist to steer.  Adrian doesn’t live far from Dee’s so it wasn’t too long before we got there.
We walked into the door and everyone was dancing. 
It was loud and I turned around to walk away but Adrian took my hand, “Ella your fine. Come on, you’ll have fun.  Once we get through this group we can go somewhere where there are less people, I promise.” 
I sighed, “Are you sure?  I mean if you want to go have fun you can.” 
He shook his head, “I want to stay with you.  Besides there’s something I want to ask you.” 
I nodded, “Okay.” 
Then my friend Octavia saw me, “Eeek, you came!” 
I smiled weakly, “Of course I did.  I told you I was gonna be here.” 
She turned and looked at Adrian, “Are you?  Did you ask her?  Are you her date!?”
Adrian nodded, “I am.  If you’ll excuse us; I need to ask her something, then you can talk to her.”
“Sure,” she winked at me, “Have fun you two.”  Then she walked into the crowd of people. 
Adrian pushed through the crowd and we went into a room where no one was.  It was dark and then he flipped the light on; It was Darcy’s room.
He stood in front of me, “Okay well now I can ask you.” 
I smiled at him, “What is it?” 
He took my hand, “Isella, will you… would you consider being my girlfriend?” 
I stood there shocked, “I… I… Of course I would!” 
He sighed in relief, “Oh thank the Lord.  I wouldn’t know what to do if you said no.”
I smiled at him, “I like you a lot, why would I say no.”
Adrian stood shocked, “Wait…really?  You like me?” 
I nodded, “Yeah since like third grade.” 
He hugged me, “I’ve liked you for about that much time too.” 
I smiled, “Really, how long?” 
He blushed, “First grade.” 
I giggled, “Wow, long time then.” 
He smiled, “Yeah, I finally got the courage to ask.” 
I shook my head, “Glad you did, I never would have.” 
He hugged me, “You want to go back to the party for a while?” 
I shrugged, “Yeah.”
He led me to another room where there were few people. 
We sat down and he hugged me, “You’re doing great, I’m glad you came with me.”
I nodded, “Anytime.” I was about to ask if he wanted to walk around a bit, but Pearce walked over.
He sat down next to me with his mouth open, “You know if you keep your mouth open too long a bug will fly in it,” I giggled as I said this. 
He straitened his posture and closed his mouth, “Sorry, I came in here and saw just how good you looked tonight.  I mean your dress is beautiful.  Your hair is gorgeous.” 
He twirled a piece of hair that was by my cheek. I pushed his hand away, “Thank you, but we should go.”
Pearce took my hand, “Where do you want to go?” 
I shook my head, “Not you and me.”
He shrugged, “Then who are you going with?” 
I turned around and Adrian had his teeth clenched together, “Adrian and I are going somewhere.  Excuse us.” 
He picked me up and put me in the passenger seat of his truck then he started it for us to leave.  It was only nine thirty so he said he’d take me somewhere else.  I didn’t ask where I just let him drive; I looked out the window and some of the scenery became familiar; I didn’t know where it was though.  He parked almost in the middle of the woods and helped me out of the truck. 
He held my hand, “Do you remember where this is?” 
I shook my head, “I recognize it, but I don’t remember.”  He started leading me into the forest. 
I stumbled a bit and he caught me, “Thanks.  How do you see it’s almost pitched black?”
He grabbed my hand and held me closer, “I just can.” 
When we stopped we were standing by a lake; I remembered why I know this place.  This is the lake Adrian and I used to play around all the time when we were younger. 
I looked at him, “You remember this?” 
He nodded, “Yeah, I have a few good memories of us here so I come here often.  Don’t take this the wrong way but sometime I come here and expect you to be here like when we were kids.” 
I hugged him while looking out across the lake, “I come here sometimes.  I only come to the entrance though.  That’s probably why I didn’t recognize this side.” 
He chuckled, “At least we don’t have to worry about Pearce.” 
I nodded, “Yeah, I’m glad you’re here with me Adrian.” 
He squeezed me tighter, “I’m glad I’m here with you too,” he leaned his head on mine and we sat there until it was time for me to come home.
At the end of the year Adrian and I graduated from our high school and we were accepted to the same musical talents school in northern California.  During our college experience we also got engaged and married.  The end of our senior year in college I was expecting a baby boy that we plan on naming Christian James (CJ) Cassarres.  After graduation in two weeks I’ll be at the very end of my fifth month with our baby boy.  My father was promoted to Fire Chief after his boss retired a year ago, Adrian’s father is still a technology teacher and they still go fishing together.  Adrian’s mother still owns her shop in town and I start working with her after graduation.  Adrian has made and sold a disc with his A Cappella group The Five Tones.  Their group has jobs where we live; performing at different events and shops, other than that Adrian is enrolled in online college for becoming an English teacher.  Darcy and Austin are engaged to be married in six months, which Adrian, our son, and I are invited to.  Surprisingly Pearce and Octavia are dating and I think they’re very happy, I won’t be a bit surprised if I receive another wedding invitation in the near future. 
Our lives are full of surprises, some that are amazing and breath taking moments. Other surprises can take you back a little, but always seem to work out.  So those of you waiting for your surprise go and find one, let yourself be surprised by other s and remember to find those who can help make those surprises possible.  Keep smiling and give someone a surprise to show you love them or you’re thinking of them.