Sitting, Watching, Waiting | Teen Ink

Sitting, Watching, Waiting

By glaws, middleton, Massachusetts
glaws, Middleton, Massachusetts

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall? Sitting, watching, waiting, knowing, without anyone ever knowing you’re even there. Secrets and lies, hopes and dreams, I knew it all. I guess you could call me a fly on the wall. Except that I was not a fly, rather a painting. A beautifully done portrait of myself at age twenty-five, in the year 1901 in my homeland of Italy. I myself was not the painting, but a spirit trapped in the painting. The day I died, a cold dark day, I had awoken to think I was still alive. Sadly, I was merely an object. A magical object, in which I could hear, feel, smell, and see. Trapped in a portrait of myself, attached to a life I once lived but so far removed.
The day I died was the very same day I was painted. My lover, who had grown to be my source of hate, had come home that morning with strands of beautiful silver, the most lovely necklaces I had ever laid eyes on. It was a peace offering of sorts. For the past year he had dabbled in several affairs in which I was thought to be ignorant to. However, I had known and made arrangements to leave him and return home. The irony that now he had come to apologize made a shudder run up my spine. As he put the strands around my neck a twinge of fear struck me.
“Can I paint you my lady?” he spoke softly. He hadn't painted me in months. He hadn't been home in months. I shrugged slightly shaking my fear away. I almost felt bad now. But I couldn't stay another day. The fighting and pain wasn't worth it.
“Surely.” I said standing in front of his canvas. He told me he wanted to capture this moment. With sad distant eyes, and not even a curl of the lip I stood there perplexed and anxious.
As he painted, a peculiar smile crept across his face. I wondered what he was thinking at that moment.
I was about to ask him when he said, “Voila! Finished at last. What shall we do now?”
The strange smile returned and I felt as though he knew of my plan to leave. I walked into the kitchen and asked if Ishould prepare a meal. I heard a loud thump behind me, and turned around to see the man I once loved, holding a large knife.Then it was clear to me. I would not live a day longer. However, I ran, as most would in my situation. As I made my way upstairs to the bedroom, there was no where to hide. He entered the room, pinned me to the bed and ended my short and empty life.
I had blacked out shortly before i was absolutely dead. He ran of course, before anyone could happen upon the horrific crime scene. When i awoke the house was crammed with people. my mother and father, sister, policemen, medical professionals, all shocked with my parting. I was confused. How could i see them but they couldn't see me. I began to scream but no sound was made. Then as my corpse was carried out of the house, it dawned upon me. I was a spirit looking upon my family. Not a free spirit though. I couldn't move. I screamed again wanting desperately to follow my corpse. Why wasn't i dead? i thought. As i watched from the living room of my home, my family sob i began myself to sob. I wanted to be dead, not to watch this.
It took me about another two weeks to realize i was trapped within the painting. My belongings were being taken out of the house and back to my parents’ and i was being taken to a museum in france. The Louvre it was called. Well i had always wanted to see Paris. My parents didn't want the painting of me it only reminded them of my death, and as my husband was a famous painter the museum was willing to make a large payment for it. So there i was, 25 years old, dead but strangely feeling alive, and being sent to Paris.
A long fifty years later, sitting, watching, waiting, in the museum, picking up on random details of countless peoples lives, I was sought out. Well, my painting self. An old man, about 65 who collected art said I was the most beautiful painting he had ever seen and he would pay any amount for me. And just like that, I was gone. He lived in New York City in the most grandiose abode i had yet to lay eyes on. I was placed on a wall in the living area the most active room in the whole house. I faced toward the dining area, the home’s entryway and the grand staircase. Such a beautiful place to be.
Shortly after the old man died, i was passed down to his son, Greyson, along with the house and everything else in it. And here i am today, sitting, watching, waiting.
I hate everything about Greyson. He is twenty-seven and an absolute bore. He went to college to study finance, and global economics. It seems like thats all the man can chat about along with his other snooty friends all dressed in their uniform suits.
His beautiful wife, Crystal, is not fond either. From what i understand, their parents are business associates and they were a major influence on their marriage. They’ve been married and living in this house together for five years now and i don't think I’ve heard a meaningful conversation that has lasted more than ten minutes, that didn't end in a fight.
She’s bright and creative, and does not belong with him in any way. The best thing about her: she loves art. I’m her favorite piece in the house. She sits on the sofa and stares at me, sometimes she even talks to me.
“Why are you so sad?” She asked one day, when she was at home feeling lonely. “I think i know that feeling, you look miserable. Maybe you're my own reflection” she continued.
She did mirror the look in my eyes. Sad and distant yearning for something greater in life. Her husband ignoring her presence remaining absent from the household most days. I decided to take personal interest in his whereabouts. Crystal did not deserve to be with a man so cruel and bland.

One day she sat on the couch and i watched over her shoulder as she typed and email on her computer:
Lucie,
He’s cheating on me. The bastard is cheating on me. It must be true he hasn't been home for the night in over weeks. I think he’s up to something bigger as well. Normal people don't come home with wads of cash the size of bricks. I dont know where he puts it either. I look for it once he leaves but its never there. Im getting scared sis, he’s up to something. Every time i try to ask him it ends in him slamming the door and leaving again.
SOS. Need to come home asap. This house is not for me anymore please come up as soon as possible.
Love,
Crys

Well she had that right. He was cheating on her. Occasionally when she would go out for the night, a tall dark haired, fair skinned women would take her place in the home. They would walk in through the front door, and then he would sweep her off her feet carrying her into the living room. He smiled at Liesa, that was her name, the way he used to smile at Crystal when they first met and he was trying to woo her. He would sit her down on the couch and look deep into her eyes. She scared me though. Her eyes were dark, the kind of brown that is on the verge of turning to black. I couldn't deny her beauty but there was more to her than that. She seemed to have an agenda of her own with Grey.
Anyways, they would sit on the couch and talk for a while, and by a while i mean a few minutes, before it escalated to more and then they would scamper upstairs for hours before he was wheeling her out the door. One time Crys came home earlier than expected and she hid in the guest bedroom all night without a discovery.
Crystal was also right about the suspiciousness. Greyson would lift me off the wall once in a while when Liesa was over, and put something in the wall behind me. I never did get to see what exactly was put in there, but it certainly wasn't anything he wanted anyone knowing of. The two of them would giggle about the endless amounts of money they shared, Crystal’s stupidity, and being together one day. I hated every minute of it.
It was around two weeks after the email that Crystal decided to continue the annual tradition of holding a charity ball. That day she became fully aware of the affair. I was moved by Greyson himself to the Grande Ballroom, as he knew Crystal would want me in there, and needed to replace me with another painting on that wall to prevent her from seeing the hiding place.
The ball began promptly at 7 p.m. as it always had. I watched as Crystal danced with various family members, friends and acquaintances. Greyson was across the ballroom talking to Liesa. Crystal didn't notice the two together at first, or if she did she mustn't have thought much of it. It wasn't till a few hours later she realized the two were still together. She decided she would introduce herself to her husband's probable other woman, Liesa. As she approached them a group of men in all black suits had met them first. Crystal noticed they all had the same oversized flashy ruby rings, as her husband. She watched, stopped in place, as Liesa, Greyson, and the men disappeared. She looked as though she wanted to follow but could not as the host of the ball.

When the ball ended Crystal walked up the stairs of the house and heard Liesa and Greyson talking in HER bedroom.
“Come home with me!” Liesa whined.
“Im going to go find Crystal. You wait here. Leave when you hear us go downstairs. I’ll meet you in five.” Grey replied.
Grey left his room and realized Crystal was nearly right outside the door. “I I come downstairs! Tell me about the ball. I’m sorry hunny Ii had to talk to some co-workers” He said.
Crystal walked down the stairs with him although knowing this way a ploy. As they entered the ballroom again, the front door slammed shut. Bye bye Liesa.
“Woops, someone must’ve been a late leaver. Who did not tell him the party was over. Ha!” Grey nervously muttered.
Crystal looked at him with disgust and replied, “Welp look at the time. Are you coming to bed?” to which he mechanically reached in his pocket and replied, “Oh no! I left my phone at the office. Ill try to be home soon” and he scurried out the door yelling, “Love you!”
She began to laugh. I think we were both thinking the same thing. He’s not as smart as he looks. She began to walk upstairs when she saw his laptop bag sitting in the corner of the ballroom. She sat in the middle of the ballroom alone and decided to snoop through his computer.
“Ugh what his password” she moaned.
“4571…. No uhmmmm 8367… no. Maybe ugh 1215, YES!!!” She cracked the code. She went into his emails and for the rest of the night read about all he had been up too. She discovered he is a part of a secret society. The society commits fraud and steals right under people’s noses, all in the company he worked for. Then a smirk grew across Crystal's face. Tomorrow she would get a detective into the house to bust him forin his crimes.
Over night the house keepers restored the house to usual and put me back in my rightful place. Grey had come home at 6 a.m. not that Crystal cared anymore. He probably cozied into bed next to her never knowing that she was no longer ignorant to his secret life.
At 10:30 a.m. a detective arrived to the house. Grey was in a meeting with the men in black with the ruby rings, and Liesa. Crystal couldn't have planned out a more perfect time. As the detective lookeds around the house, she foundinds nothing. She walkeds in on the meeting, still nothing. The gentlemen and Liesa do grow defensive and leave the room to watch the detective search the house.
I wanted to scream, “HEY DUMMY COME LOOK BEHIND THE PAINTING!”. The evidence was all back there. I was screaming. The detective began to walk out the door. In that instance I felt myself as a person, not as a painting. I felt as though I had strength and powers. I used all the force I had and came crashing to the ground. There it was. Evidence. The wait was over. He was busted.
The detective's head whipped around and as she saw the safe she called for backup. The backup arrived and as they busted into the safe, they discovered documents on the fraud, millions of dollars, and other various gems. Busted.
As I watched her discover all these things I realized I was watching and moving from all different angles. I was free. I was not longer trapped in the painting. After all this time I could finally move about the Earth freely.
I decided instantly my first move was France. Grey had chose his move to, jail. Himself, Liesa and the others all ended up in federal prison where they belonged. Justice was served and I was happy to be the one to serve it. Crystal was now as free as I was. We were one and the same. Au Revoir!