The girl | Teen Ink

The girl

February 4, 2015
By Sissybug, Maysville, Kentucky
More by this author
Sissybug, Maysville, Kentucky
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She was always so happy.
She was popular, good at sports, went out with friends.
Until it happened, now she just stays home, never smiles, lost all her friends.
It's like she died inside.

*it all happened two years ago, she was with her boyfriend talking and laughing, all of a sudden someone jumped out of the shadows, and grabbed him, then someone grabbed her. That night she witnessed a death. Her boyfriend was dead. That night she died too. Mentally. Emotionally*

"Hey freak!" Someone says interrupting her thoughts.
She ignores them.
She always does.
She doesn't talk anymore.
To anyone.
No one could get her to talk.
Someone taps her on the shoulder.
It was her best friend.
"At least talk to me." Her friend said.
She shook her head, she was never going to talk again.
Her friend walked away.
She checked her Facebook.
There was too many messages and so many notifications.
She never replied to anyone.
She checked her notifications. Her old friends posted on her wall. Other people from her school posted on her wall too.
Her friends said stuff like, "we miss our old friend" or "someone bring her back!"
The other people said stuff like, "that little freak" and "why would anyone want to be friends with her?"
She looked at her conversation with her boyfriend before he died. It brought tears to her eyes but she wiped them away before anyone seen.
She missed him very much.
She was never going to see him again.
She didn't even notice that there was someone standing beside her until he tapped her shoulder.
"Hi...um can you show me where the calculus class is?" He asked nervously.
She looked up at him.
She made a motion with her hand, gesturing for him to follow her.
She walked in the direction to the calculus class and he followed her.
"By the way my name is Michael. What's your name?" He asked her.
She showed him her name that was written perfectly on one of her notebooks.
"Nicole? Pretty name for a pretty girl."
She looked up at him, he was blushing a little.
"Sorry. I shouldn't have said that. A gorgeous girl like you must have a boyfriend."
A tear fell from her eye.
"Oh my gosh are you ok? I didn't mean to make to cry." He wiped the tears away.
When his hand touched her face she felt a shock.
"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done that."
She smiled at him.
"God you have a perfect smile." He smiled and put his hand on her cheek.
There were people watching them, but she didn't know.
Michael leaned in and kissed her.
She kissed him back then she realized what she was doing. She was kissing someone else besides her boyfriend. But her boyfriend was dead.
She pulled away and looked at him.
Hurt flashed across his face.
She shook her head, but she really liked him.
She tried to talk, but nothing came out.
He seen that she was trying to talk.
"Write it down." He said.
She got out a piece of paper and a pen.
'I like you, I really do. But I can't go through the same thing.' She wrote down then handed to him.
He gave her a confused look and said, "Go through what again?"
She looked around and saw people staring at them. She looked down and walked around him and to her class which was also calculus.
Michael walked in a few minutes later and sat in the seat behind her. She knew there was no one that sat there. And it was the only seat available.
He tapped on her shoulder.
She turned around slowly.
"Please tell me what happened."
She turned back around and got a piece of paper.
'A few years ago my boyfriend got murdered right in front of me. I couldn't do anything about it. They should have killed me too. After they killed him, I had nothing to live for.' She wrote then folded it up and put it on his desk.
The rest of class she faced the front of the room. She tried to pay attention to the teacher but her mind kept going back to that night.
A note fell on her desk. She unfolded it and read it.
'I can help you forget about that.' It had to be him.
'How?' She passed it back to him.
'Meet me outside of the school after school.'
Then the bell rang for the last class.
"Nicole, can you show me to my next class?" Michael asked her.
"Just follow me, you have the same classes I do all day."
Michael followed her to the next class, he sat behind her again.
The class went by in a blur. She was nervous about meeting Michael after school.
She wasn't sure what he would say.
She made up her mind, she wasn't going to meet him after school.
She would sneak out of the school and get in her car.
He wouldn't see her slip out.
The bell rang, she got up and told him that she had to go to her locker and that she would be there in a few minutes.
He walked out of the school and sat next to the steps.
She ran out the other doors that lead to the parking lot for students.
She got in her car and sped out of the school parking lot. She seen him as she went around the school. She was glad she had tinted the windows. He couldn't see her and he didn't know what she was driving either.
She felt guilty he liked her and he wanted to help her. Everyone else was too stuck-up to even talk to her, besides the snide comments here and there.
They didn't care about her boyfriend, to them he was just a little nerd who didn't mean anything to anyone.
But they didn't know he meant everything to her.
He was irreplaceable.
She was so caught up in her thoughts she never seen them coming.
She crashed into them.

I was watching the cars leave, wondering when Nicole was coming or if she had left.

I seen the cars crash. I rushed over to help. I pulled a girl out, her lip was split. Her leg was broken where it had gotten smashed.
I placed her on the sidewalk then turned back to the cars. The other car was on fire! And about to blow up.
I grabbed the girl and ran away from the cars.
It was then I realized who the girl was.
It was Nicole!
She was trying to leave.
Her eyes fluttered.
"Michael?" She whispers. Guilt flashed across her face.
"You were trying to leave."
"Why did you save me?"
"Your leg is broken." I stated dodging the question.
The ambulance rushed into the school parking lot.
They loaded her into the car and another ambulance showed up for the people in the other car. Or what was left of them.
I got in the same ambulance as she did.
On the ride there the people fired questions at me. I explained to them what had happened. When we got to the hospital I had to wait in the waiting room for news about her.
She came out in a cast. She looked around in the waiting room and saw me.
Then she wobbled over to me. She almost fell but I caught her.
"So, how long will you be in a cast?" I asked her.
"They said at least 2 months."
Then someone walked in and handed me my keys.
"I drove your car here for you. One of the teachers told me to."
Then he walked out.
I helped Nicole to my car and then I got in the car.
"Where do you live?" I asked her.
She told me the address.
I started driving in the direction of her house.
"So you don't talk much do you?"
I looked over at her. She shook her head.
I kept glancing at her, she looked small and sad.
I turned on the radio and then r5's song smile came on.
" I want to see you smile" she sang along with the radio.
"You have a beautiful voice." I said after the song went off.
"Thanks." She said smiling.
Then the song habits by Tove lo came on.
"You're gone and I gotta stay high all the time to keep you off my mind, high all the time, spend my days locked in a haze trying to forget you babe I fall back down, gotta stay high all my life to forget I'm missing you." A tear fell from her eye.
"Talking about it could help. I don't mean like counseling, just talking to your friends." I said to her.
"I have no friends I could talk to about this." She said softly.
"You can talk to me."
"I don't like talking."
"You can write stuff down and I'll talk."
She nodded, as to say that she could do that.
We arrived to her house. I walked over to her door and helped her out. I walked to the back and grabbed my crutches that I kept in the car. I adjusted them for her and handed them to her.
Then I helped her to the door.
"MOM! I'M HOME!!" She yelled.
Wow for a quiet girl she can really yell. I thought.
"Sorry." She said.
"It's fine." I said with a smile.
A girl that looked exactly like Nicole came down the stairs.
"Hey Nicole. Who's your friend?"
"Michael this is my sister, Amanda. Amanda this is Michael." Nicole gave her sister a warning look.
"Mom is in the kitchen." Amanda said, giving Nicole a dirty look.
Nicole started walking through the hallway. I followed her, I got a flirtatious look from Amanda.
I ran to catch up with Nicole. She was fast even on crutches.
We walked in the kitchen together.
"Mom this is Michael. Michael this is my mom. He's a new kid at school."
Her mom looked over at her.
"What happened to your leg?!"
"I got in a car wreck. Michael saved me from blowing up. He also drove me here."
"Thank you Michael. Will you be staying for dinner?"
"I should be getting home. I promised my mother I would make dinner." I said.
"Bye Nicole I'll see you in school tomorrow." I said.
Then I walked out.

"What a nice boy." My mom commented after he left.
"Is he your boyfriend?" My sister asked me.
"Yes he is." I said, even though he wasn't, I still wanted to see her face.
"I like him. He seems like a gentleman." My mom said.
I walked upstairs to my room and shut the door. I pulled out my phone and noticed I had a text.
The nerd: Hey Nicole.
Me: umm...who is this?
The nerd: it's Michael. Sorry I borrowed your phone and put my number in it. You can change the contact name.
Me: it's fine.
Michael: so do you want to hang out this weekend?
Me: sure
Michael: wonderful, where do you want to meet up?
Me: it's up to you.
Michael: ok meet me at the school then.
Me: the school?
Michael: it's the only place that I know.
Me: ok I will meet you at the school at 9?
Michael: yea

I wish I could've said date but I didn't want to rush things. She needed some time and some space before I tell her.
"Michael you have to tell her soon. She's still heartbroken." My sister said.
"I can't. She'll think I'm joking then she will push me away."
"You have to tell her. Or I will."
Then there was a knock at the door.
I opened the door to see.....Nicole?!
"Umm...hey Nicole. What are you doing here?"
"You're my next door neighbor?? This is awesome!!"
Wow I didn't know she would ever be this excited.
Oh wait...that was her twin. Amanda.
"Oh hey Amanda. What's up?"
"Mom said I had to go greet the new next door neighbors."
"You and Nicole are like twins."
"Hey Michael, I guess we are neighbors now." Nicole said
"Speak of the devil." Amanda whispered.
Amanda walked away quickly, almost bumping into Nicole.
"So you wanna hang out today?" She asked me.
"Sure. Come up to my room. It's a big mess though."
"I'm sure it's not that messy." She says.
10seconds later
"Ok it's worse than I thought." She said with a grimace.
"Yea."
"Ok instead of hanging out let's clean this mess up. Or it's gonna drive me crazy."
She put some music on then she started picked up clothes like shirts and shorts. Then she came across a pair of underwear. She picked it up with two fingers with a look of disgust. For a minute I just stood there watching her drag her cast across the floor. Then I stopped her and sat her on the bed.
"What are you doing??"
"You're going to mess up your cast."
I started picking up stuff and putting it away. She sat there folding up clothes then handing them to me.

Nicole's pov

I wasn't sure what he was doing when he picked me up and put me on the bed. But I must've weighed a ton with my fatness and the cast.
But he seemed to have no trouble lifting me up.
"Hey hot stuff, whatcha deep in thought over there about?"
"Nothing." I say blushing.
Wait...my boyfriend used to call me hot stuff.
No...I'm pretty sure it was just a coincidence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael pov
Aww man I slipped up. She knows. I could tell it. It was all in her face.
She was...confused? Mad? I have no clue what she is thinking.
I looked away from her and started cleaning some more. When I looked back she was laying down. I smiled then got back to work.
My sister was right I needed to tell her soon. But I needed more time. I couldn't tell her now. I looked back at her, she fell asleep.
She looked so beautiful. Like she did before I went away. I never died, I had to fake it. I had to see what she would do without me. But I didn't know it would effect her like this. She wasn't wearing long sleeves so I looked at her wrists.

......she did.

She cut her wrists because of me. I felt horrible because of this.

She stirred. I backed up and acting like I had been working all this time.

"Michael? How long have I been asleep?" She asked me.
I looked at the time. Wow it's already been an hour since she fell asleep!
"An hour." I replied.
"Omg!! I have to get home."
She got up and hopped down the stairs. I walked behind her to make sure she didn't fall.
She ran to the door and turned around. Then she pulled me into a hug and gave me a kiss. Her eyes widened when she realized what she just did.
"I'm sorry. I just...I'm sorry." She turned to run out the door. I stopped her.
"Wait..I need to tell you something."
"I really should go. My moms probably going crazy with worry." She says the she runs out the door.
I was going to tell her...but she ran away.
"Wow she just shut you down." My sister says behind me.
"Shut up." I say then I run back up to my room.

I shouldn't have run away...I should've stayed to see what he had to say.
On the bright side my mom wasn't worried about me. Since she knew where I was.
I looked out my window...into someone else's window. It was his window. He was throwing a basketball up in the air then catching it when it came back down.
He looked mad and sad.
I opened my window and threw something light at his window. He looked over at his window and saw me.
He waved then went back to the basketball. His sister walked in his room. She didn't see me but I could hear her.
"You need to tell Nicole! Walk over there and tell her right now!" His eyes shot over to me.
His sister looked over at the window.
I texted him
Me: What is she talking about?
Michael: ummm....
Me: tell me!
Michael: it's not bad...ok it is a bad thing. I tried to tell you but you ran out.
Me: tell me now.
Michael: I'd rather tell you in person.
Me: open your window then.
Michael: I'm coming over.
I watched as he jumped up and walked calmly out his door.
How could he be calm about this?
Ten seconds later I heard someone knock at the door.
"Nicole, your friend is here!" My mom called up to me.
"Send him up!" I called back.
He knocked on my door.
"Come in, you don't have to knock."
He walked in, hands in pockets and looking at the ground.
"So tell me this secret that you and your sister are keeping from me."
"I'm your boyfriend..."
"Stop joking and tell me."
"I did, I never died, I had to get rushed to the hospital. I had to stay there for two years."
"But you weren't breathing, you had no heart beat."
"You left me there! I didn't wake up for a year and seven months! You could've at least got me an ambulance!" He was mad.
"Michael if this is a cruel joke then I swear."
"You'll do what?"
"You will never see daylight again."
"This isn't a joke." He walked over to my window and closed it and the curtain.
He lifted his shirt. It was his birthmark. You can't fake something like that.
He walks over to me. He lifts his hand to my face and strokes it.
"No I refuse to believe that!" I say jumping up off my bed.
"Did you see my name in the newspaper? I didn't die. They would've put it in the newspaper."
I started pacing around my room. Somewhere during that he stopped me.
"You're getting me dizzy."
His hands were in my shoulders. I looked up at him.
His brown eyes were hypnotizing. Before I knew what was happening I was kissing him. Our lips moved together perfectly.
When we pull back he says, " I love you. I wanted to say that before but I didn't want to scare you away."

Nicole's pov

I shouldn't have run away...I should've stayed to see what he had to say.
On the bright side my mom wasn't worried about me. Since she knew where I was.
I looked out my window...into someone else's window. It was his window. He was throwing a basketball up in the air then catching it when it came back down.
He looked mad and sad.
I opened my window and threw something light at his window. He looked over at his window and saw me.
He waved then went back to the basketball. His sister walked in his room. She didn't see me but I could hear her.
"You need to tell Nicole! Walk over there and tell her right now!" His eyes shot over to me.
His sister looked over at the window.
I texted him
Me: What is she talking about?
Michael: ummm....
Me: tell me!
Michael: it's not bad...ok it is a bad thing. I tried to tell you but you ran out.
Me: tell me now.
Michael: I'd rather tell you in person.
Me: open your window then.
Michael: I'm coming over.
I watched as he jumped up and walked calmly out his door.
How could he be calm about this?
Ten seconds later I heard someone knock at the door.
"Nicole, your friend is here!" My mom called up to me.
"Send him up!" I called back.
He knocked on my door.
"Come in, you don't have to knock."
He walked in, hands in pockets and looking at the ground.
"So tell me this secret that you and your sister are keeping from me."
"I'm your boyfriend..."
"Stop joking and tell me."
"I did, I never died, I had to get rushed to the hospital. I had to stay there for two years."
"But you weren't breathing, you had no heart beat."
"You left me there! I didn't wake up for a year and seven months! You could've at least got me an ambulance!" He was mad.
"Michael if this is a cruel joke then I swear."
"You'll do what?"
"You will never see daylight again."
"This isn't a joke." He walked over to my window and closed it and the curtain.
He lifted his shirt. It was his birthmark. You can't fake something like that.
He walks over to me. He lifts his hand to my face and strokes it.
"No I refuse to believe that!" I say jumping up off my bed.
"Did you see my name in the newspaper? I didn't die. They would've put it in the newspaper."
I started pacing around my room. Somewhere during that he stopped me.
"You're getting me dizzy."
His hands were in my shoulders. I looked up at him.
His brown eyes were hypnotizing. Before I knew what was happening I was kissing him. Our lips moved together perfectly.
When we pull back he says, " I love you. I wanted to say that before but I didn't want to scare you away."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michaels pov
Was she going to say it back or what? Oh god I've lost her for sure.
She looked at me with wide eyes.
"I love you too." She said, smiling.
I smiled at her then kissed her again.
"So are we still on for that date?" I asked her.
"Yea totally."
"NICOLE!!!" My mom yelled from downstairs.
Nicole ran downstairs and I silently followed her.
I seen Nicole's mom in someone's arms and they had a knife pressed against her throat.
Nicole froze.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicole's pov

I hadn't seen him in years. But I recognized him instantly.
He had come back....for me.
"You will come with me. Silently and quickly." He orders me.
I slowly walked to him. He released my mom and grabbed me. He pulled out a gun and pointed it at my head.
"If any of you make one move to follow us, she will die."
He slowly backed us out the door, and to his car.
He put me in the back and handcuffed me to a bar he had in the back.
He got in the front of the car.
I looked out the window and seen Michael come out...with a gun.
Michael shot the tires then shot the kidnapper.
Then he ran to the car and tried opening my door. Locked.
He tried opening the front door. Locked.
Then he punched the window and unlocked my door.
I slipped my hands out of the handcuffs. Then I jumped out.
I hugged him then I checked out his hand.
He had glass in his hand.
I quickly got him into my car and drove him to the hospital.
I sat in the waiting room for 2 hours waiting for news on him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michaels pov

My hand hurt but I wasn't going to show weakness when I was around her.  But when they got me back to one of the hospital room, I tried to rip out the glass from my hand.
The doctors had me held down though.
Then they pulled the glass out slowly and carefully. But when they came to the last piece of glass they stopped. Then they whispered to each other.
Then they ripped it out and put something over my hand and applied pressure.
My hand started burning, I started screaming out curses at them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nicole's pov

I heard him screaming curses at the doctors then all the doctors from the desk was sent back to his room. I knew something was wrong. I needed to find out. I walked down the hallway to his room.
When I walked in the doctors were telling me to get out but I didn't pay them any attention. All I seen was his lifeless body on the hospital bed.
I fell to the ground.
"Nicole you need to wake up. Your mother needs you." I recognized his voice.
Michael. I tried to say his name.
I opened my eyes but he wasn't there.
Doctors were in my room checking the machines.
"Where is he?!" I screamed.
"She's awake. Get her mother!" The doctors ordered.
"No! Where is Michael?!!" I yelled again.
The doctors turned to me with a sympathetic look.
"No. He can't be dead. No I need him."
I got up and ran to his room.
His body was covered up.
"No Michael you can't leave me. No! It's not fair! I need you!!" I cried.
I sunk down to my knees and sobbed.
My mother walked in and stood me up and helped me walk out the door.
When we got home I ran to my room and threw myself on my bed.
I wasn't going to go to school anymore. I wasn't going to get off this bed at all.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.