Dancing to Achievement | Teen Ink

Dancing to Achievement

By GabbyBrand, Clarkston, Michigan
GabbyBrand, Clarkston, Michigan

It’s another one of those typical nights. I’m upstairs in my room finishing my last little bit of homework trying to finish before my shower. I’m trying to stay focused but all I hear is screaming, and yelling coming from the kitchen. My parents are fighting as usual. Them fighting doesn’t bother me as much anymore because I’m quite use to it, I just ignore them. I stopped doing my science homework when I heard the cupboard doors started slam. Goosebumps rising on my arms. I set my homework down and walked slowly towards my bedroom door, listening to the muffled noises coming up through my room.
My hand gripped the door knob tightly, “don’t go down there.” I said to myself. My hand fell from the knob, falling to my side. I stared blankly at my cream color door. Do I go down there or stay up here and don’t worry about it. I thought to myself. I listened to my parents yelling back and forth at each other through my door, zoning out.
I must have not noticed my parents stop arguing because my door opened and my mom walked in, “Ava?” My mom asked slightly confused. I blinked a few times to come back out of my gaze. I brought my eyes up to meet with my mom’s green ones. She looks tired and worn out with the dark circles under her eyes, her light to slightly medium brown hair pulling into a messy bun. My mom is in her mid forties, average height. I’m just a few inches shorter than her. Both of us have tan skin, and a few visible freckles on our cheeks, by our noses. “When did you get home?” She asked walking over to my bed, sitting on the edge on it.
“About an hour ago to the most two hours.” I said dull and a little annoyed, walking over to my bed to join her.
“I must have not noticed you walk in. Did you come through the garage?” My mom asked looking at me, a small smile on her face.
“Well of course you didn’t notice! You were too busy arguing with dad.” I remarked back at her harshly, rolling my eyes.
“Ava, please don’t start a fight, I’m very tired.” My mom whispered, clasping her hands together and setting them in her lap.
“Sorry.”
“Get in the shower soon, I love you,” She sighed while standing up. She pressed a small gentle kiss to my forehead, then left my room closing the door behind her. I finished my homework and got in the shower after, also getting ready for bed.
Friday came around pretty quickly. I got into my car after school, plugging my phone in the AUX cord, playing my favorite playlist and drove to my dance studio for my daily dance classes, stopping at Subway to get my usual dinner before dance.
I walked inside my studio to be greeted by the owner, Rebecca. “Happy Friday Ava!” She said with excitement in her voice.
“You too Becca!” I Smiled and she exchanged one back to me.
I set my bag down in the den area. I ran my fingers through my long dark brown hair pulling it into a high ponytail on top of my head. I joined everyone in our stretch circle before our class. We each went one by one and shared with each other about our days and what were doing this weekend. Every girl in the circle ranges from ages fourteen to seventeen years old, but also their age depends on their technique level depends on their level for what dance class they can be in. “Ava lets start with solo first.” Rebecca said, interrupting the conversation a few girls were having.
“Okay, I’ll be in there in a second.” I said standing up from the floor, grabbing shoes from my bag. Rebecca nodded and walking into one of the dance rooms.
I put my front door key through the keyhole and walked inside to all the lights off. I furrowed my eyebrows and slipped my shoes off, setting them aside. The whole house silent, and dark. I walked into my kitchen and flipped on one of the lights. An uneasy feeling started to appear in my stomach. I threw my car keys on the counter, along with my backpack and dance bag. I walked through the hallway leading to the upstairs. The house is so quiet, you can drop a pin and hear it hit the floor. I stood at the bottom of the stairs, a reflection of light catching my eye. The light is lighting up the whole upstairs hallway. I raced up the stairs, skipping every other step. The light is coming from my parents room. I slowly, taking baby steps, walked towards their room. The door is wide open, I knock on it to catch my mom’s attention. She’s in her bathroom cleaning it up a little. She looks over at me, “oh hey.” She breathed out. I looked around the bedroom, the floor was spotless, the dressers organized , and also the bed made.
“Where’s dad?” I asked, walking towards her, one foot in front of the other.
“He’s in the basement.” She said walking past me, causing a light breeze to pass by.
“Okay… Well I am home for the rest of the night.” I said slowly watching her every moment as she walks all around her bedroom, cleaning up. “Are you- nevermind. I’ll just be in my room.” My voice trailing off. I turned round, making my way out of the room going down the hall to mine.
I woke up to yelling starting up again. I crawl out of bed, dragging my feet across the soft, white carpet below. I grabbed a hold the knob of my door, twisting it about without even thinking. The hallway light blinding my eyes, making me squint as I tried to see. I made my way down the stairs, slowly and quietly. I wrap my hand around the railing, stopping on one of the last few steps, skipping the second step that creaks when you step on it.
“We’re going to have to tell her sooner or later!” My mom’s voice demanded. Tell me what?
“No. We must not tell her right now, this can wait a little bit.” My dad’s voice hushed.
“Why can’t we tell her we’re getting a divorce? She’s sixteen, I’m pretty sure she will handle it just fine.” My mom said.
My whole body froze, I can’t feel anything, it went numb. I can hear my own heart beating in my chest. My vision starting to go blurry. Tears filling up in the corner of my eyes, rolling down my cheeks, and chin, landing on shirt.
I walked closer to the kitchen, also trying to stay hidden. My parents shadows becoming more visible since I’m closer. “We have to tell her, or she is going to notice.” My mom said, her shadow moving to lean up against the counter.
My dad sighed, “what about dance?” He said. “We’re going to have to tell her about that also.” His shadow as moving to lean up against the counter next to my mom.
“We can wait on telling her that, lets not make her more upset,” My mom said sighing.
I stepped closer to the kitchen, each step baby steps. I should walk in there and ask what this dance situation is about. I step ever more closer now, hiding in the corner of the wall. My parents speaking quietly to each other. I gain confidence, “what about dance?” I asked walking into the kitchen. My parents jump seeing me and knowing I heard.
“Oh, it’s just nothing Ava.” My mom said, putting on a fake smile. My eyes moved from my mom to my dad, who is leaning up against the counter, looking at my mom like she is crazy.
“We-I mean you have to quit dance Ava.” My dad said, avoiding to eye contact with me.
“What?! No! I am not quitting dance.” I shouted angrily at them. “Is it because of the divorce?”
My parents look at each other with shocked, wide eyes. ‘Ava.” My mom said hushed. “Calm down.”
“No I can not calm down! I can’t just randomly quit dance for no reason. You can’t make me quit. No way.” I said protesting. More tears rolling down my cheeks. The salty taste of them in my mouth as they fall.
“We can’t afford dance anymore with the divorce.” My mom sighed walking towards me. I backed away quickly not wanting any contact with her.
I looked at my dad, “are you seriously just going to stand there and say nothing?!” I spat at him. He’s still in the same position, leaning up against the counter, his arms folded over his chest, a blank stare on his face, his eyes focused on the ground. He slowly brought them up to meet mine.
“This was actually my idea.” He said with no emotion in his tone of voice. The whole room fell silent. I don’t know hot to react except to be anger at him.
“I hate you!” I shouted loudly grabbing his attention. “I hate you. I hate you so much!” Tears flowing down my cheeks like a stream now.
“Ava!” My mom said harsh. “Do not say that yo your father.” Her words came out cold, ice like. I stood there fuming with anger. I can not stand this family anymore, all we do is fight now. I thought to myself. I turn on my heels, and start down the hallway leading to the stairs, “Ava get back over here!” My mom called out. I ignored her and ran up the hardwood stairs. I pushed my door hard, slamming it shut, locking it. I want to scream at the top of my lungs, or breaking down crying. I can’t decide, but instead I’m sitting on my bed motionless, staring at the soft pastel blue wall in front of me. Processing everything that just happened down the kitchen.
Knocks on my door. “Ava open this door right now!” My mom said twisting the knob trying to unlock the door. I ignored her, laying on my bed staring at my ceiling. My whole world came crashing down just a few minutes ago. My mom calling out for me on the other side of the door repeatedly, but then gives up a few minutes later. I sigh in relief, quietness taking over my room.
As the week goes on I go to school, then come right home and lock myself in my room for the rest of the day, doing homework, also ignoring my parents. Eating dinner on my own. My mom and dad trying to talk to me whatever chance they have, but I just quickly finish my dinner and go back upstairs. My dad has been looking for a house for himself to live in on his own, and in which he did find one. My parents already went to the court and filed all the papers for their divorce. Each day I try to think of a plan to earn money so I can keep dancing and live up to my goal of going to california and becoming a professional dancer.
Another week rolls around of just the same old routine, school for half the day, then coming home and locking myself away from the world. Still thinking of plans to earn that money for dance.
“Ava you can’t keep ignoring us.” My mom said to me as I am preparing my own dinner. I rolled my eyes and went on my phone, leaning up against the counter. “Ava Marie!” She snapped at me taking my phone out of my hands. “Stop ignoring me and get over it. You’re being such a brat.” She sighed. I set my food on my plate and grabbed my phone back from my mom, making my way back up stairs.
After school today I made the decision to go up to my dance studio. I opened the heavy glass door, walking inside. “Ava?” Rebecca questioned, her eyebrows furrowed together.
“I have a question.” I said resting my elbows on the front desk.
“What is it?” She asked rolling her chair to move closer up to the desk.
“Is there any possible way I could make money here to help me dance again? Like help teach little kid classes?” I asked looking at her desperately.
A smile appears on her lips. “Of course! Anything to get you back in here dancing.” She said standing up from her chair excitedly.
“Seriously?” I asked, my eyes lighting up.
“Yes totally. You can start tomorrow if you want with the five year old Jazz class at 4:30.” She said pulling me into a hug over the desk.
The bell rung at 2:30 the next day, dismissing everyone to go home. I grabbed my backpack and headed out of class towards the front of the school, out to my car. I started my car and drove to my dance studio ready to teach my first ever dance class.
I sat down on one of the benches in the den area, pulling out my food before the class starts. I ate pretty slow since I have a lot of time before the class start. I watched as many people walked in and out of the den surprised to see me back.
I gathered all the little girls and they followed me into one of the dance rooms. I stretched them, then had them get up and play a few games to get their energy out a little. “I’m going to teach you girls a little short combination, okay?” I asked calming them down. They all squealed, jumping up and down with one another.
For the last half hour, I taught them a cute, super easy combination to a Disney princess song. “I’m going to go get your parents, and you get to show them this dance!” I said opening the door, everyone in the lobby looking at me. “Can the parents come in and watch their daughters show them a little dance they learned?” I called out to the adults sitting in the lobby. I watched as many stood up and smiled at me as the file into the room along the walls, Rebecca also joining. “So the girls just learned this dance, are you ready girls? First position.” I said starting the music. I stood off to the side to help them remember as they danced.
The girls finished and everyone clapped. The girls all have huge smiles on their faces. “You’re free to go everyone, see you next week!” I said. Everyone left the room. I’m taking my phone off the player, as someone tapped tapped my shoulder. I turned around to be facing a short, blond hair, blue eye lady. She has a smile plastered on her face, “Ava right?” She asked curious.
I nodded confused. “Yes I am Ava.” I said.
“I’ve seen you dance before and I wanted to say that you’re amazing but I’ve never had the time to tell you but now since I got your attention, I thought I should tell you.” She said catching her breath.
“Oh thank you so much!” I said chuckling lightly.
“I was also wondering if you wanted to take a trip out to California because my cousin works out there and he’s looking for some amazing dancers for his project he is working on at the moment.Your talent could be recognized by many after.” She said smiling widely.
“I would love too! Oh my gosh really?” I asked looking at her shocked. Is this really happening?
“Yay! He said he will also pay for your airfare to California.” She said.
“Wow okay. Thank you so much, I’ll ask my mom when I get home and let you know.” I’m probably smiling like an idiot, but I don’t care because my dream is coming true. She nodded and gave me her number for later. I thanked her again and hurried as fast I could home.
I opened the door to my mom making dinner. “Mom!” I said loudly catching her attention, making her jump.
“What?!” She asked having a worried look on her face. This is the first time in a little while I spoke to my mom.
“This lady stopped me at dance and said that her cousin lives in California and he’s been looking for some dancers for some project he is working on. She said he will pay for our airfare. Can I do this? Please! Please! Please!” I asked begging basically on my hands and knees.
She sighed heavily, “you were at dance?” She asked.
“Yes I teach little kid classes so I can earn the money to help pay for dance, when I start again.” I said rocking back and forth on my heels becoming impatient.
“I mean I guess so. It is a good opportunity to experience new things.” She said, a smile starting to form on her face.
I squealed and pulled my mom into a very tight and loving hug. “I’m so sorry for everything! I love you so so so much!” I said into her shirt.
“I love you too.” She said laughing lightly.
I called back the lady for earlier today and told her I could go. She’s very excited and will tell her cousin. She gave me every little detail about this plan down to the maximum. I hung up the phone after writing everything down. I want to scream of joy and happiness, this feels so much like christmas. I’ve been dreaming of going to California for dancing ever since I started 13 years ago. My life is about to begin a whole new chapter.