The Agent | Teen Ink

The Agent

By hunter norris, San diego, California
hunter norris, San Diego, California

Author's note:

Hunter N is a 14 year old freshman in high school. This is his first novel, and  he has learned some new skills making and writing this novel.He believes it is a good and fun story that most people would like and he is happy with the way it was made. Hunter Norris was born in San Diego California, at the boba naval hospital. Hunter loves to play and watch sports and to do things with his friends. His favorite sport is baseball but he really likes to watch football with his dad, he love animals he has two cats and three dogs at his mom’s house and a lot of fish at his dad’s house. He has a sister and two stepbrothers who are all in high school also.

One day Matthew was walking to work when he saw a car accident happen right in front of him. He went to help them and found that it was one of his co-workers and someone he didn’t know. “Are you okay Sam?” Matt asked  

“Oh I don’t think so,” Sam replied. Matt went to check on the other driver in the crash and he was knocked out, so matt called an ambulance. Matt went inside to tell his boss that he was just outside trying to help Sam because he crashed into someone. This concerned the boss so he went out to help until the ambulance gets there and Matt got to work. Matt is a CIA agent the crash was just around the corner so it wasn’t hard for them to get to the car.

“They took the other driver to a nearby hospital but said that Sam was going to be fine,” the boss told everyone.

John came over and asked,

“What happened Matt?” and waited for a response but Matt didn’t know what to say. Matt was a little bit confused about what and how it all happened himself. At 9:00 am Matt was feeling that the day was taking longer than normal. Then at lunch he went with John to a restaurant nearby and they started to talk about what happened.

“John, it was so fast that it’s hard to realize how it happened,” said Matt, he took a couple of bites of his sandwich.

“But who hit who?” John was still confused.

“I don’t Know I couldn’t tell I’m just as confused as you are and i want to ask sam but he still shaken by it to.” They finished their lunch and John was still unsatisfied by the answers that Matt was giving him. Matt was still thinking about it because it was the only thing that he could think about. By the time he got home he thought that he knew he figured out who hit the other one. He sat on the couch and asked his fiancée how her day was. She came out of their room and sat on the couch too, it was late so they were almost falling asleep so they both went in the room and fell asleep. Matthew got a call in the morning from john.

“You need to come to work now!” in a panicked voice. Matthew grabbed his keys and got in his car and started to drive to work and was trying to think of what could have happened.

“Can you tell me what happened,John it would be helpful?” Matt asked with no response and the phone hanging up he got to work and parked. “Where is John?” Matt was thinking to himself. He got inside and asked the receptionist “what floor is John on? I need to find him.”

“I think that he is on the tenth floor,” the receptionist said unknowing.  Matt ran over to the elevator and pushed the number ten on the button list. Matt got there and found John

“What happened?” Matt asked as he looked around the room.

“Look outside that window over there” John said inpactitley  as he looked. Then they went down in the elevator and outside into the outside break area. were there were two of their co-workers fighting but no one knew why. They were still fighting when Matt and john got down there. Matt and John thought that it was over when one of them slammed the other on a wooden table. Matt and John stop the fight and sent them to the boss.

“Why did you need me for that John?” Matt waited for an answer John looked down the up as he was thinking of what to say.

“Because they weren’t going to listen to me I’m not above them like you, your  higher ranked.”  John notified Matt. Matt walked inside and went to his desk when his boss called him into his office to ask him about the fight. Matt didn’t know why he was called into his boss's office but he went in to see what his boss wanted from him.

“What happened outside can you tell me,” the boss asked. Then there was a pause while he tried to figure out what to say to his boss but he just stopped it he didn’t see that much of it.

“Well sir I didn’t see that much i only saw the end because john had me stop it” Matt told his boss. There was an unsatisfied look on his boss’s face and this worried Matt about what his boss would say to him for his answer.

“Go get John for me Matt he saw the start of the fight right?” his boss asked impatiently

“Yes sir right away” Matt replied, to his boss. He walked over trying to think about why the boss called him in instead of john in the first place, when he got to Johns desk he too a second to tell him what happened and that the boss wanted him. John walked away to the office and Matt wanted to know what happened at the start of the fight. Before he knew it work was over and he went home. His fiancée wasn’t home yet so he started to cook and make a small dinner for them. Then she walked in and he went to the living room asked how her day was and she asked him and he started to talk about the fight.

“So there was a fight at my work today it was weird, oh ya i forgot yesterday there was a car crash right in front of the building.” Matt told her and she was shocked by these events that happened at his work. He went back into the kitchen and saw that it was ready,

“Annie time to eat want me to make your plate?” he asked and waited for a response.

“Yes please thank you” Annie replied Matt got the two plates and took them in to the dining room and put them down. They ate and then watched some tv and went to bed, when he woke up he looked at his phone and said last day till the weekend then we can relax. He went to work and hope that nothing crazy was happening again and nothing was so he was cheerful. He was busy all day with work having to run around to get stuff that his boss needed from his co-workers. This took his a good amount of time but when he got them he just had to give them to his boss.

“Here are all the papers that you wanted me to get sir,” Matt stated, this was a little bit of a shock to his boss because it took time but not as long as the  boss had assumed.

“It didn’t take that long, can i see them” his boss replied Matt handed him the papers and waited to see what his boss had to say.

“Good job Matt thank you, you can go back to work now” his boss exclaimed Matt left the room and his boss went over all of the papers to check for errors before he sent them off.

“What was that about Matt,” John commented Matt sat down and fixed up his desk made it nice and then looked at John,

“I was just giving him some papers he asked for.” John looked at him and then walked away and Matt got back to work by the time lunch came around he was done with most of the work he had. He took a long lunch and got back at it filling out papers sending emails reading emails and trying to find things his boss wanted. Later that day he went to his boss and gave him the papers that he was working on that need to be sent out today. John walked over and waited till Matt saw him and stopped working.

“Hey want to go do something tonight instead of just sitting around your house” John exclaimed
“Ya sounds like fun."

When he got home he called John to see what time John wanted to meet up.

“Hey so what time did you want to meet and where at?” Matt asked John was thinking before he answered to find out where he want to go.

“Well we could meet at like 6:30 but let me think about where to go sound good?” John replied.

“That sounds good to me text me where you want to go” Matt exclaimed then he hang up and grabbed his jacket and a hat. he sat on the couch till he got the text from John and got in his car. half way there he needed gas so he pulled off to a gas station and then started driving again. Matt gets there and John is there with a couple of their other friends. Their at a boardwalk with games and two rides on it they play games and go on the rides then a couple of them go home and its just John and Matt.

“Matt did you know that Sam had to go to the hospital and is still there now,” John notified Matt.

“No i didn’t know that John and i would say that is bad and we should go see him to see how he is,” Matt tells John.

“Yeah i think we should to Matt,” John replied, they stay awhile and just sit for a bit then go home. The next day Matt calls John to see where he is and finds that he is already there. Matt gets there and sees John and asks him how Sam is doing and john says that he is good and getting better. The doctors told John before he went in the room that Sam’s leg is broken.

“How bad is it broken,will it take long to heal?” Matt wonders and John doesn’t know so he just says i don’t know. They go into the room right as Sam is waking up.

“How are you feeling Sam?” they both ask Sam at the same time it takes Sam a little bit of time to answer.

“I’m fine it just hurt and i’m tired thank you for visiting” Sam answers them. they stay for a little while and then leave and go home. Matt lays down for a bit and is thinking about how he had never seen the guy in the other car before or one of the guys who were in the fight. He calls John  to tell him and ask him if he had ever seen that guy in the car or the fight.

“Hey did you know the other guy in the crash or the guy i stopped in the fight?” Matt asks John and waits for a response.

“No i didn't think that i know either of those guys, should we tell the boss?” John wants to know.

“No i think that we should wait a little bit till we go back to work maybe” Matt suggested.
“Yeah i think we should wait to” John agrees with Matt. They both hang up and go back to what they were doing Matt just relaxes on his cough. Annie was out with friends and he was just staying home because he was tired from last night. So he just stayed relaxing for most of the day. The next time they're at work Matt and John go to their boss’s office and tell about how it was the first time they saw one of the guys who were in the fight. The boss didn’t really care about this because he was busy so they left the room and then heard a bang. They ran down to the break room where they found a co-worker on the ground hurt. they helped him up into a chair and then looked for what or who made something blowup. John looked inside and Matt went to the bottom floor and saw someone running outside and then chased him. Matt cornered him and then started to ask why he did it but they guy just looked around for a way out. He saw a way that could be the way to get away but matt tackled him before he could make his move. Matt took him back inside and upstairs to the boss to show him who made the explosion in the first place. It took a little bit with the guy still trying to escape but Matt wasn’t letting him go no matter what happened. He gave the guy to the boss and the boss put zip ties on the guys hands so they call the police. The police took him away and an ambulance picked up their co-worker to get him to safety and out of harms way. they found out that these things that were happening were all planned out by a group of people who they didn’t know. All that Matt can think about is who is this group the guy was talking about, and why were they after Matt and his co-workers. every one was hurt started to do better and Matt and John were just trying to help with what they could. Everyone at their work were getting scared that something was going to happen to them next but for a week nothing happened. Till the elevator broke down with someone in it thats when almost everyone freaked out. Most people were trying to help the lady inside the elevator but others thought that another bad thing was about to happen. Went she was helped out finally she got away from it as fast as she could.

Two weeks later everyone was still thinking about what happened and were all scared trying to guess what would happen next. everyone was feeling bad for all the people that something happened to. No one wanted it to be them next but they all knew someone was next they just didn’t know who. Matt was working hard trying to find answers to who and why they were doing these things, but didn’t have very much luck on the task. It was a lot harder to get what he needed when there was no one to stop because no one had something bad happen to them.Him and his boss were trying to get answers from the guy Matt stopped but he wasn’t giving them anything so they were stuck trying to find answers themselves.

“We really need to find who is doing this sir” Matt told his boss. His boss looked worried and confused this made Matt worry as he waited for a response.

“Yes we do but we need the right information to find them and we don’t have that information.” His boss replied still looking worried Matt was trying to come to words but didn’t know what to say.

“What if we wait and try to trap the next one of them who attacks us?” Matt respond his boss walked around the room looking at the floor thinking about Matt’s question.

“That could work but it would be very hard to know when the next one is coming.” Matt boss exclaimed as he sat down and watched Matt.

“what if we put a couple more cameras and put more people on security?” Matt asked his boss. His boss agreed that it could work and told him to start setting up whatever they needed to trap the people attacking them. Matt walk over to John to tell him what they had to do but John wasn’t there so Matt asked where he went. Matt found out that John went for lunch and then Matt started to get to work and wait for John’s return. John got back and Matt told him what they need to do for their boss so the offices are safer than they are now. They went down stair and to the parking lot so they could go buy cameras. When at the store they looked for other stuff to help them with the problem.

“what else do you think we need to make it safer at work John?” Matt asked John. John keep looking at the cameras,

“I don’t really know Matt how can we be sure that were safe now?” John stated to Matt and he thought about what John had just said to him and he didn’t know the answer to that.

“I don’t know John, is there something wrong?” Mat asked but john just stayed looking at the cameras. John grab three and said lets go and they left the store, Matt still thought that there was something wrong.

“Really John what's wrong?” Matt wanted to know but John didn’t tell him still. John looked really stressed out about something but he wasn’t giving Matt anything about it. this was making Matt nervous about what it was and he still wanted to know. They got back to their office and John went back to what he was doing and Matt started to set up the cameras. Matt got one set up completely and still had a couple to go, but his boss came over and asked him to do something else. Then the day was over and Matt, John and their co-workers all went home. Matt went straight to sleep when he got home but John didn’t sleep all night long. Matt got to work before John and he was still worried about what was bothering John and why he wouldn’t tell him what it is. John got to work and went right to his desk without saying a word to anyone.

“What happen John? Something did or else you wouldn’t be late,” Matt stated and John look a little bit mad.

“I’m feeling a bit sick, what i can’t ever be a little bit late once?” John remarked while looking at Matt.

“No you can, it’s just not like you even if you're sick” Matt explained to john. John still looking a bit mad looked down and back up.

“It’s worse than most of the colds that i have had,” John replied Matt just said okay and walked off. Matt went back to put the cameras up and connecting them to the tvs in the security room. His boss came by and asked how it was going and if he was almost done putting them. Matt was about done and this made his boss happy because it would be a safer arena and they would find out who did it easier. Some people still didn’t feel safe there and the boss didn’t like that so he got more thing to make it safer. So that his worker weren't scared to be there because they all know what could happen to them. Matt had to keep an eye on the cameras and see if some one touched them. This was really easy for Matt because he has done a lot harder jobs before this one.It is more of a task but he was given ones like it before. John was still acting weird by Matt and wouldn’t tell him what it was that was making him act this way. It wasn’t helping what was happening at the office with the people attacking them because Matt could use Johns help at times. Matt spotted a car that was parked next to the office and then it took off when he saw them good. He got in his car and started to chase them and called his boss to tell him.

“I’m chasing a car with some of the people in it” Matt stated to his boss.
“No stop and turn around now its a trap!” his boss exclaimed. Matt hit the brakes just right so he could make a good u turn and head back when he saw more head lights behind him. he started to drive fast and get away but they were gaining ground on him. He got back to the office and his boss and some co-workers were there waiting. he passed them and they laid out some spike strips and two of the cars went over them. These cars crashed and the co-workers took them inside to ask questions and make sure they got answers.

About two weeks later they let one of the three guys the cought go because he told them some stuff they wanted to know. Matt was happy with the way the night two weeks ago went but he was still worried about John. Matt was going to give John the time he needed till John came to him.

“Hey Matt can i ask you something?” John asked in a friendly tone.

“Yeah sure anything.” Matt replied with a smile on his face.

“well I asked jane if she would marry me and I” john was cut off by matt,

“yes i will be your best man if thats what your asking.” Matt answered John very happily.

“Okay cool thanks man your the best!” John exclaimed to Matt. This was very good news to hear but Matt just wondered why it took John so long to ask him. That didn’t matter too much to Matt  because everything was going good for a while. This was a great week for Matt John and their co-workers because nothing bad was happening to them. the people who had attacked them before were now laying low for a little bit of time. this gave Matt even more time to make it even safer at the office he just didn’t know what to do so he went to his boss.

“excuse me sir, what would you like me to do to make it safer.” Matt asked unknowing  and looked at his boss for the answer.

“Maybe get locks and a I.D card scanner so we can be the only ones in.” Matt’s boss told him so Matt went to find what he needed but it was taking longer than expected. Matt was looking everywhere for an I.D card scanner so he called john.

“Hey John can you help me find an I.d card scanner?” Matt asked while still driving.

John responded with “yeah sure, i will make some call and try to find one later Matt.”

“Thanks later John,” Matt replied when stopping to check another store for one.

A couple of hours later got a text from John saying he got one. Matt was still thinking of when John asked him earlier to be his best man and remember when he asked John to be his. It took Matt a little bit to as John also and he remember how stressed out he was back then. Then he realized that his wedding was coming up soon. Matt texted John that they needed to find some suits for his wedding and try them on and get them. He thinks they might need to get a tayler so the suits fit just right so their not uncomfortable. He is nervous about the wedding coming up soon but he can’t wait for it. He just remembered that no one will be there to do his job while he is on his honeymoon so he will have to tell his boss when it is. He headed back to the office and then to his house to eat talk and go to bed.

The next day started off slow but then Matt remembered that the office soft team picks where that night and Matt was the captain of one this year. Nothing really happened till the time to pick players Matt wanted to pick first so he could pick John because they were both good. John is the best player anyways so Matt just waited for the start so he could get his picks in. They way the they decided who picked first was with picking a piece of paper from a hat Matt got his third and it said that he gets first pick so he was joyful. He picked John and the picks went on and on till all teams were full and then everyone left. Everyone got jerseys and hats all the team had practices and then there was the first game. Matt’s team played his boss's team and it was the 7th inning and Matt’s team was winning. Matt was up to bat and His boss was pitching and John was on 2nd based. There was two outs and two strikes and the pitch came and Matt hit it over the fence for a homerun. The score is Matt’s team ten to his boss’s team four when broke the scoreboard and ran off. Every got scared so they wait to see what was going to happen but nothing did so they put the score on paper and keep playing the game. That was the final score 10-4 and Matt’s team went to celebrate and then all went home. Matt went to sleep early so he had more sleep so he could pick up some things for the office in the morning. He got to work and put the things where they needed to go so they were i the right spot so the security system was working right. He went up to his boss’s office to ask him about the week he would be gone.

“Hey boss i would like to ask you about a week i would have off” Matt told his boss.

“Well what did you want to ask,” his boss replied.

“Well I’m getting married soon and my honeymoon is after so i need a week please,” Matt asked.

“Yes you can have a week of I will ask someone to do what I would ask you to,” his boss told him and he left his boss’s office happy. Matt was almost ready for his wedding and just needed his suits. So he called John to tell him when he needed to go to the shop to get the suits to fit them on.

“Hey John can you come to the suit shop we need to get suits for my wedding is that good?” Matt asked John.

“Yeah when do you want to go to the shop?” John asked Matt,

“In a couple of days we should go to the shop” Matt told John.

“Okay sounds good see you at work,” John told Matt and they hung up the phone. Matt went home and went to sleep till he woke up the next day and it was the weekend. Matt called John again to ask him if he could go the the store today.

“Hey can you come to the the store today or are you busy?” Matt asked John.

“Yeah i can come to the store today,” John told matt and they both got in their cars and started to head to the store. Matt got to the store first and started to wait for John right when John showed up. They headed inside to get the suit and make sure that they fit correctly or not. They got the suit type and color that Matt wanted and in the right size. They left the store Matt was happy with the suit and was ready for the wedding but it was still a couple of months away. Now Matt went home went to sleep got up and ready to question one of the people they have about where those people meet. Matt headed into work and up stairs he found his boss and ask when he should question one of the people who attacked them. The time his lunch break started he had some of the answers that he wanted but not the ones they really need. His boss asked him to get more answers when he was done with lunch so he finished eating and went back to work. He found out the name of them and told his boss they already know where those people meet. Now they just need to know when the next meeting is so they can stop them. Matt had one of the ones they captured call and request to know when the next meeting is.

“We got the time and day of their next meeting sir,” Matt told his boss.

“Good job Matt, now we need a team to stop them,” his boss remarked. Matt got a team of people in the office together with John and started to plan what they were going to do. They only have three days till the meeting so they have to come up with a plan and fast. The end of the day came and everyone left but Matt who was still looking over what they had. Ten minutes later he decided to go home and go to sleep the next day they all got right to the plan. They got a good plan and now they need to practice and get ready to do the plan in two days.

“Hey boss we got a good plan and are almost ready to do it in two days” Matt declared to his boss.

“good get everyone ready so we stop them on the first try,” his boss told him. Matt left his boss’s office and went back to practice the plan so they get it right first time around. Matt knows that they might not get two tries so he wants to get it right and make sure everyone knows the plan. Matt walked over to where John was and sat next to him.

“Do we have a the gear and stuff that we need for this?” Matt questioned John.

“Yes we do just packing it up and getting it ready for the day,” John told Matt.

“Okay thanks for getting that ready, what else do we need?” Matt requested to know.

“I think thats all we need is in here, made ask Owen if he knows?” John replied to Matt who was thinking.

“Yeah I’ll go ask Owen if he knows, if he doesn’t then I’ll ask someone else” Matt told John. Matt walked over to Owen and said hi.

“Do you know what we need thats not in the bag?” Matt questioned Owen. Owen was thinking and look for a list of what they need then said.

“We have a list somewhere but i think Lisa has it, do you know what cars we are using?” Owen expected.

“No not yet let me find Lisa and see the list,” Matt told Owen. Mat went and found Lisa to ask for the list.

“Hey Lisa do you have a list of the stuff we need?” Matt asked Lisa.

“Yes do you need it for something?” Lisa questioned Matt.
“Yeah I need to see what we need for the plan,” Matt told Lisa, she handed the list to Matt. Matt looked over the list and checked what they have and what they need to have.