Life Of A Football Player | Teen Ink

Life Of A Football Player

By Joshua Fierro, San Diego, California
Joshua Fierro, San Diego, California

Author's note:

I wrote this story because I can relate to this story. My dad and brother wants me to be at my peak every-single time I play football.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

It was not just another regular day for the Point Loma Pointers. Is was the Day to become a “Divisional Champion” . The Quarterback had 3 Touchdown passes to his Number 1 wide receiver. Bobby Fierro had 1 rushing touchdown and 1,000 yards already before the half was over. The opponent was from the area of Claremont and the team was Called “ The Warhawks”. They had 3 touchdowns and their Quarterback had 1 40yd touchdown. It was a around 9 o’clock when the game started because their freshman team had already won 43-0 and the JV team had also won 35-0.

. Bobby Fierro was a regular kid until the 6th. His dad got him signed him up  into a football Team called the “ Coastal Tritons “. He started out as a Defensive Tackle and then moved his way down the way to Running Back and Defensive Tackle. All the way through his years, he always played football. Once he got to highschool, that is when he shined the most to the coaches. Bobby had started both ways and then through his sophomore and Junior year, that is when he just started at Running Back. Bobby was 6’2 230 lbs and was practically all muscle, he worked had with the team on the field, off the field and even in the weight room.

Bobby and his dad had become a great duo together. His dad had always made it the games if he got off of work early enough. This team, based the game off of his dads work schedule because a Scout from USC,Oregon, and UCLA was coming out to see him and the Left Tackle for a full ride scholarship.” Hey dad, USC emailed me back and said that they would want to meet us for lunch in LA and also show us the campus.” said Bobby. His dad said
“ Ok son, what time and also, you need to talk to them about vacation time because your mom wants to see you and also go to the games.” Bobby and his dad drove up to LA because he was going to have lunch and also it was his little brother Niko’s birthday and his mom had drove down to have it at his Nina’s house.
“ Hey, how are you today Mr. Fierro.” the guy from USC said.
” I am pretty good, how are you.”Bobby said.
” I am doing fine, so here is the contract for you to sign about the school and campus rules and also the dates that you have off and where the games are being played and also tickets for the family to come see. Is there anything you would want to talk about” The guy from USC handed him the packet and also explained him what the expectations are. Bobby had talked to him about where  he want his family to be and also that he has to travel up North to see his Mom, Little Brother and also his Older brother to see him play basketball.

Bobby asked “I have one request, can I have my Mom, little brother and some of his friends come sit with me on the sidelines, because I told him that I would see if I can do that.” “ Actually, we can have your Mom and little brother come in the locker room and sit with you but, it would be only at the home games.”
“ That is fine, he just wants to see me play because my dad and my brother had already got their season pass from you guys and my mom wanted to see if they could that instead.” The guy from USC told Bobby that he could but for him to do that, Bobby would have to work extra hard than any other players on the team. So, he did and he got the passes but the problem was that he was not out of Highschool yet, he played in the divisional game for the pointers and still have the rest of the year.” Dad, so my mom wants me to fly up for about two weeks to see her before I play the game and also discuss what my college career is going to be like.”
“ Good, you should and I ran that by USC and they have already bought to the ticket for you to leave and fly back but you have to stay out of trouble and work out at the highschool with you little brother for football.” His dad went on and told him how hard he needs to work because the game is coming up and also because of college.

Bobby left and he flew into Sacramento and saw his Mom and his little brother. He went to their house that was right down the street and also his car was driven up to Sacramento by his older brother. The next day, he took his brother to school and actually heard how brother was messing around, So he stayed and watched his brother.The he worked out with his little brother and saw a couple of girls lookin at Bobby and told his brother to meet them. When Niko went over there, the girls started to talk to him and then next things you know, one of the girls became his girlfriend. Bobby flew home the following week back to his dads house and the people from UCLA called back and left a message saying” Hi Mr. Fierro, we are informing you that we would like for you and your son to come to the school and take a campus tour and also have lunch with the football coach and also the main equipment managers. Later that week, Bobby talked to his head football coach about what he should do and said
“ Well Bobby, You need to follow what is best for you and your family because what ever choice you make, it will also affect your family.” Bobby replied,
“ Thank you coach, I have chosen USC as my school and also as a choice for my family to visit and also to see one of my first football games as a college career.”

My dad had walked into my room and asked me what I was thinking of because the biggest game of the year was today, the divisional Game was going to be at home and at 4:00pm. Bobby told his dad what he was thinking, “ I was thinking about what I need to do today for us to win the game because I am now starting to get butterflies in my stomach.” His dad replied,
“ Just go out there and have fun but most importantly, don’t give up, you can’t go in big headed either because you don't know what they will do. Your brother is also in town to come and watch with us and the USC and UCLA scouts are here to see you play too.” Bobby got up and grabbed his car keys and drove back to the school because he had to pick up his friend. Later that day, Bobby had scored 4 touchdowns before the 1st half was even over.

The other team had good plays but going into the middle of the 3rd quarter, they tied them with 28-28. They offense had just lost possession of the ball and now Bobby was sitting on the bench waiting to go back in the game. His dad and brother were mysterious about the game because they  just walked onto the  field by the players and sat down next to Bobby. Bobby’s brother Gabe said to him, “ What’s up with your running game. You are not acting like you are  serious and you need to lower your shoulder and break to the outside because their CornerBacks can not keep up with you.You doing good but the scouts are worried, break to the outside and run the ball.” Bobby’s brother had just came down from USC basketball practice to watch his little brother play the game that he loved. His dad also talked to Bobby and told him “ You need to block while you are at it too. You are energetic but you are getting your own Quarterback killed because you don’t get the guy that breaks loose.” His dad and brother had waited to go back up because they wanted to see how Bobby would do if they were on the side lines.

Later that day, the pointers had won 49-35. They went on later that year to CIF. Bobby was at school the following week because they had a bye-week before the playoffs began. The girl of his dreams Lindsey Taylor  was walking down the hall by herself for the first time. Bobby went over to her and asked her how she was doing. “ Hey Lindsey, how are you doing today.” Lindsey replied, “ I’m doing fine, but my grades aren’t doing so good though.” Bobby and lindsey have met each other before, because their parents were good friends and their dads went to college together and now, their brothers go to college together too. Bobby walked with Lindsey to class because they had Physics and Math together. “ So, what are you doing this weekend.”
“ Nothing, just at my house, but I need to find a tutor because if I don't, then I can’t go to CIF and cheer.” Bobby was thinking that since he had good grades and his parents always told him to help others,
“ I can help you, I understand what we are doing and I also help you study for the Quiz/ Test this friday.” Lindsay told him to meet him at her house after school for now on, so she could get help from him. Bobby’s dad and brother were talking about his older brothers basketball training because it was at his older brothers High School where their mom lives.

“ Bobby, do you want to come with me and see mom for a little, later on this weekend because I have a basketball training camp where my old High school is.”Gabe said.  Bobby replied, “ Lindsey wants me to help her study, for the test on friday, so maybe if coach will let me take a day or two off next week.” Bobby and his brother Gabe, called their mom later on that night and asked how this weekend would work because they both needed to come back down next week on Monday or Tuesday because they both had school.

When I told my mom about Lindsey, she thought that we were going out and she wanted to meet her because how all moms are, they want meet the girl that their little boys are seeing. So, Bobby’s mom came down for the week and saw lindsey at school when Bobby was about to drive home, his mom showed up to see him early. Bobby’s mom, “ Oh, what a surprise Bobby, I thought you were helping Lindsey at her house right now.” Bobby replied,
“ We were just leaving because she had a uniform to try on before the game because it was a new one and I had to talk to coach and I had to work out a little bit longer today,” My mom was a lady who wanted to know what happened and when. Like one time, my little brother saw this girl at school that he liked and my mom had to meet her because he told my mom about her.Later that day, Bobby’s mom had picked up dinner for Bobby and lindsey, because  was staying late that night. The next day, Bobby asked out Lindsey and she said yes. Well, later that week, Bobby had to travel up North to LA with his mom, Older brother, Little sister and his little brother. Bobby also had to go to the meeting with USC with his dad that week and then drive all the way up to Sacramento the next day because he was suppose to go help his older brother with the camp that the college had him doing for credit because he was missing practice and then going to the game. So, Bobby had to work out hard the week that he was up North because the big game was coming up with in 2 weeks.

When I work out, my little brother is in there with me too because he wants to get big and buff like me and my older brother. The only problem is, that my mom won’t let him because she thinks that he is too small and can’t lift or bench anything because he is going to get hurt. My little brother, does football and basketball, So he goes to the games and practices with my brother in the off season and he has the most pressure because my older brother is the Starting Point Guard for the Varsity team. When basketball is over, he comes to the football practices and work out times because since I was able to come from a Lineman to a Running Back, he also has a lot of pressure for the team. The only problem is that when Bobby wants to hang out with his little brother and his girlfriend, Bobby’s little brother has a girlfriend too, so Bobby and Lindsey can’t leave Niko and Brittney alone because his mom doesn’t want Bobby to leave his little brother alone.

Bobby’s Dad was on the phone and asking him, “ So,I talked to Jake  from USC football and he told me that you need to come down in the next couple days because they need you so get sized for everything because now, you are playing Defensive  End again for your Freshman through Half of your Junior year.”
“ Ok, what day should I leave and how long is it going to take me to get all of my stuff fitted.” His dad replied,
” You should leave Thursday or Friday and then go there Saturday and it will take about 30 minutes to 1 hour because if you want a costume face mask and a visor, with custom cleats and gloves, so you need to put more time into it.” So Bobby flew back down Thursday, helped lindsey with her work and friday and got his new car also friday and then left saturday morning the USC equipment center.

Monday comes and he went back to school to watch film with Coach Diaz and also went to work out with the team later that day too. He repeats the same thing for tuesday and Wednesday and then thursday, he comes in does the same, go to school and then watch film and then work out, but his night was very different, he did go dinner and then run over plays latter that night with the team.
One of Bobby’s teammates said,” Bro, you alright, Coach Diaz  wants us so go to 6 period check-in and then if we need to, go home sleep and then come back around 5 and start to get ready for the game at Qualcomm Stadium.”
“Ok bro, I’m probably going home now picking up my stuff and then picking up Lindsey and then going to her house to sleep and help her with homework.” His teammate was Miguel and he had played with him since They were in 6th grade and Miguel’s dad also coached them in the 6th grade until 8th grade. So, Bobby’s dad was video taping Bobby and Miguel playing because they have worked together since 6th grade year when they played for the Coastal Tritons.  Bobby was playing Running Back and Miguel was playing Full-Back and their Friend Josh was also playing full-Back when Miguel Switched out. Bobby said” Hey Miguel, you ready to play for the Division” Miguel replied” Yeah, it was just like the Last game of the season against Del Norte.”

Bobby’s mom had showed up because she wanted to see how they were doing and also because Bobby’s mom wanted Lindsey to hang out with her. His little brother Niko was just sitting there watching his big brother and His oldest brother Gabe, coaching Bobby on his cuts and also had Bobby lay down and try to pick up the ball while running full speed towards him. Lindsey didn’t have to cheer because she had just took a test that day and she wasn’t able to make it to the meeting. Bobby’s dad was also on the field but he was doing something different when he had left. His dad was calling plays from the field and then had transition into the stands because he wanted to see how it would look from the top.Bobby’s oldest brother had left to the stands with his dad and now his mom was on the field with him because they have had a parent appreciation day and both of his parents had gone on the field with him.

Bobby had been playing now for almost two Quarters straight and he did not want a break. His dad and brother were up in the stands scouting the coach’s on what they were saying because they wanted to know and his mom, little brother and Lindsey were also in the stands, but they were cheering him on.The scouts had come from all over to see me,Miguel and Josh to see how we were because Miguel and Josh also got a scholarship with USC but Oregan had been in the running and also so did UCLA. I was committed to USC and so were they. The score had been 21-0 through the first Quarter but then Madison came through and had matched us by Halftime. Coach Diaz  had came into the locker room after talking to the ref's about the “ Unsportsmanlike-Conduct” by our center. When coach came in, he said “ Alright boys, we have them. They are wanting to Quit and now they are fighting with their own team mates. Don’t let off now, we need them to fold up like-a-lawn chair and Quit for sure.” “Bobby and Miguel, I need you two in the back-field and Josh, I need you at Z and Kyle stay in at QB for now and we will have Marcus go in at Wide Receiver with Brenton on the other side.” They all replied” OK Coach,”
Kyle asked “ What are we going to do about they safety’s because they keep picking up on Josh running the fly and Bobby going in for the post and we can’t throw through that because they will pick it off easily.” Coach Mark was are offensive Coordinator and he told Kyle “ Throw deep to Josh but Bobby, run that post deep because then they're gonna have the other safety pick up on Brenton and Marcus and we will beat them 2-on-1.” EveryBody broke the hudl and ran through the banner and started to warm-up because they had another 10 minutes to warm up because it was cold and the CIF people didn’t want the players to be cold and start to get cramps. I was warming up when my dad had come down from the stands and told me that they are going to have the “ Free Safety” be in zone so that they can cover everybody at once and then have the lineBackers pick up any one uncovered.Later that game, I had scored 2 more time and Madison had only scored 1 more time through the 3rd Quarter. When Josh and Miguel had gone in for the positions that they got assigned, they called the wrong play at the wrong time and Madison’s linebacker’s had picked it off for a pick-six and now the game is tied 35-35 with only about 2:10 left in the 4th Quarter.
When Madison kicked the ball off, the pointers had called a fair catch in the End-Zone, so now they are on their own 20 yard-line and they only have 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. They had done a wild-cat with the running back  and then a QB sneak for the the first down.Madison had gone all blitz but the pointers did a screen to the left and they picked up about a 35 yd gain and they had 1:35 left in the Quarter.They had ran the ball now 3 times in a row and they had only picked up 8 yards and they took their last timeout and called for a fake field goal. They had picked up the two yards and more. Now they are in the WarHawks Area.
“ Hey dad, what play do you think would work now for the touchdown.” Bobby’s dad replied
” Son, we need to go Left-Zip 29 Jet and have Josh go in at Quick Tackle and just get a big hit for us to score.” We put that play in and our star Quick-Tackle “Joshua Fierro” had waited for this play because he always a big hit on this play.They called it on 1, The Wide Receiver motioned from Josh’s left side and cracked the end and Josh and I had pulled and Kyle had pitched the ball to me and we only needed 20 more yards for the winning drive.Everybody was standing up because they knew that Josh Fierro was going to get somebody good because they have seen it before and have always wanted to see it done again. The last CornerBack was in his way and then………
BOOOOM, Josh had ran him over like it was nothing and I had opened field with Josh still running with me, nobody had ever seen somebody give a hit like that and still keep running. He followed me into the end-zone and we had scored the extra point which made us up by 1 touchdown. 42-35 but there was still 30 seconds left and the WarHawks had downed the ball at the 25 yard line.The Warhawks had put in the starting team and took a shot at the end-zone but we almost picked it off but the safety Bryce Laraya had dropped it going out of bounds. They ran ball and picked up 30 yards and the Running back was dropped at the 50 yard line. The clock kept running and when they snapped the ball, the spiked it and the clock stopped, they signaled in the last play with only 5 seconds left and they had to get 50 yards or else they lost. They snapped the ball and everybody was going to play deep. We only had 4 defensive linemen rush and took out the nose-guard for a extra safety. The QB for the WarHawks had thrown the ball deep into coverage were his main wide receiver could grab it. The ball was coming down the Wide receiver had jumped up but one come to another and Bryce laraya had jumped too and picked the ball off in the end-zone and started to run towards the other side of the field. Next thing you know bryce is only 30 yards from the end-zone and he scores. They game winning touchdown was scored and they called game. The score was 49-35 Pointers. The people from KUSI PPR. had done an interview with Me,Josh,Bryce and Kyle with the whole team.
We all left champions that day and fought a good battle but we still had a whole school year left and also the playoffs coming up in about two weeks.,My dad had come down from the stands and gave me a big huge and also so did my mom and Lindsey.My older brother had came into the locker room with me because Coach Diaz iaz  wanted him to say a few words to us because also played in a game like this and had play Out-side Linebacker and Quick Tackle. He said “ You boys played a very good game today but that was just a warm-up. You guys still got playoffs and also if you want, CIF Championship.” All of us got up and celebrated and left for a good nights rest because we have practice tomorrow and work outs and film on Sunday.
On Saturday, we went into the weight room and worked out for a good 2 hours and then when we walked outside, some of the WarHawks had been waiting for us outside and they had showed up about 30 minutes before we ended.Coach Diaz iaz  didn’t come out from the weight room until we had already walked over and just stood there. When we stood in front of them, the coach's had to come and separate us because the Warhawks wanted to fight the line. When we left, we had to watch a little bit of film from friday of us and tomorrow, we were going to watch film about Mt.Miguel.
A couple of the guys had got phone calls from Oregon,Washington St. and also USC. The guys that got phone calls from USC, we all had left towards L.A. because we were going to have lunch and then go to the campus and go talk to the coach about christmas vacation because they wanted us to come in and practice with the team for a little bit and start to learn the plays.Coach Diaz iaz  had called us from Point Loma and told us that we needed to head back down to San Diego in a couple of days because we needed to watch film on Mt.Miguel’s defense because they ran defense that put 9 guys in a one area and then blitz or rushed them all in one go. Coach J had us practice running through the holes because of we hit the holes hard enough and just lowered our shoulders, we would be able to pick up a 1st down or even more.Now we have film on Mt.Miguel and we needed to run over what we were dealing with because the game they played against Madison, they beat them 35-0.It was a shut out and we ony beat Madison by 2 touchdowns. We watched what play they ran the most and we split up the defense when we needed to go a deep coverage.They were also ready because we had traded film from the Madison game’s, because if one of us won, the next person to beat was Madison because they were number 3 in the brackets that were set-up.The Monday practice was a good learning day because we usually go fast on Tuesday and Wednesday. We lifted and then we had a good homework session because we needed everybody to play this game because it was a big deal.The next day I went into the mall to look for some new cleats,towel,tape,visor,a backplate,tights and also warmers because it was going to be a cold game and I already have a hand warmer.I saw Lindsey and her friends shopping around and she picked up my little brother for me because he needed the same stuff but for when he goes back up with my mom.

“ Damn bro, when is it gonna be cold” Bobby’s brother replied
“ It’s cold and almost snowing where me and mom are.”
“ That’s good, but when do you leave back up there because if you leave friday night, I will take you to the airport and drop you off because Gabe is going to meet you in LA.”
“ Why is Gabe going to fly with me back up to Sacramento”
“ Because he is having another camp up there in about 2 weeks and he wants some time off now.” Bobby and Niko hung out at the mall with Lindsey and her friends, they took Niko to the store’s he wanted and then everybody went out and eat with them. Bobby’s dad had met up with them at the mall because he needed to buy a new Point Loma High School sweatshirt with the last name “ FIERRO” written on the back of it.

When the boys got back from the mall, they had just finished eating and they needed to go back and get a pair of headphones from the mall too. Bobby and Niko went out to have a little bit of some Brother-Time and decided to go out and see what movie they wanted to go watch. Bobby and Niko saw Gabe and asked if he wanted to go see the movie with them. The three of them saw a movie and went home after that because Gabe took Niko and Josh went back to Lindsey’s house because they were going to do some homework and maybe Bobby would spend the night. The next day, Bobby got a phone call from the team and said that he needed to go to the School A.S.A.P because they had some meeting that morning and then it was going to be finished for the day. The next school day, the whole team checked into their class took the homework they had and left because they were going to leave on the bus to a football camp for the whole team, but the problem was, that the game was the next day and they needed to practice today but they couldn’t.So,the guys that didn’t start, went to the camp and the guys that did start, stayed and practiced what they needed to do because they had a big game tomorrow Night. The next morning, Bobby was with his dad because Bobby didn’t to go into school until 2 period. So they hung around and watched film with a couple of Bobby’s friends and they watched the main people running, catching and defending the ball because they needed to see how to run on the field so they could have the other teams, WEAK SPOTS open. All of them went into class stayed for the 3 periods that they needed to and then went back to Josh’s house and had a nap because they wanted  to stay hydrated and also wanted to be awake as soon as they got on the bus towards “SAN DIEGO HIGH SCHOOL.” When everybody got back to the locker room, Coach Diaz
and Bobby’s dad had walked in and told them when the bus is leaving and what they needed to do and what time to do it at. The game wasn’t until 8pm. So everybody left to go get something to eat and also everybody left to get some rest before they had to come-back.The coaches had gave money to some player’s to get a bunch of Coconut water and also what ever anybody else wanted because it was going to be for the lockeroom.
“ Hey Bobby, can you pick me up a Monster Gatorade and a big thing of chocolate milk” Josh asked and gave Bobby the money for it. Bobby replied
“ Yeah sure, Does anybody else need anything because i'm gonna stop by my house if anybody forgot something there and then im gonna go to the mall to pick up some food, so if anybody wants to go, lets go.” Josh,Miguel,Bryce and Brenton went but they took separate cars because they need a lot of space for the drinks and snacks. All four of them stopped by and picked up what everybody wanted and then stopped by the mall. Bobby had got some money from his job and also helping family move their stuff around and also babysitting because he needed extra money too. Bobby picked up some new slippers,a point loma jacket with his name on the back and also a hat.
What happened that night was something out of this world, They “POINT LOMA POINTERS” had beat Mt.Miguel with a score of 56-21. Bobby had got 3 touchdowns, 340 yards on the ground. Josh had got 3 touchdowns and only 100 yards rushing. Kyle ran 1 touchdown from the 15 yard  line and also threw 1 interception. Miguel had picked up a touchdown too for 95 yards. Everybody had a very good night, they traveled back home to Point Loma High School at around 10-10:30. Bobby still had to go home and take a shower because he was going out with friends from the team to celebrate a win for first round. When Bobby was leaving Point Loma, he also needed to grab the film that the coaches recorded from Madison Warhawks to learn the defense a little bit more better because they through in a new defense and a couple of new plays on offense because Bobby also played Defensive End and he was going to be playing both ways now because their starting Defensive End got in-trouble by the school for being late to class too much and the school would not let him play until the Semi-Final Game. My Dad was home and he made dinner for me and him because the girls had already eat and my dad went to the game with a Gatorade, and Sunflower seeds.Ever since me and my brother played football, that is how he has done it and nothing with every change because he enjoys watching his son’s play the game that we all love. He made dinner and I told him that me and the boys were going to watch a movie tonight and that I will be home before Midnight because the movie started at 11 and didn’t end until 12:45. My dad is that kind of father that will always be watching us because of our careers in the sports that we play. The next day, I went in to watch film with coach P and also workout with some of the o-line and D-line because they had their workouts today.I also stopped by Mission Bay to pick up some film from them because my sister goes there and they know that they can trust me.I had school on monday but had Tuesday off because of Veterans Day. But, that doesn’t mean that we get a day off, we had a five hour practice and that consisted of Film,Actual Practice and also weight room.My dad actually helps us with the exercise’s for football because when he was in HighSchool,they did a lot of lifting that would help certain position’s but since I was his son, He would make me go to every worout even if that means that I have a day off but I have to wake up at 6 am to make it on time.
“ Hey dad, what workout are we doing tomorrow and what time should we show up so I can tell the o-line and D-line.”
“Well, this is workout for everybody. The schools that have the more student’s from Point Loma will be having a workout day with their student’s and then everybody will be together for another workout later in the day.”
“ So what time should I tell everybody to be at the school by.”
“ Tell everybody to be at the school by 7 am and the workout will begin at 8am because we need to give everybody something”
“ What is the something that we get tomorrow morning”
“ The colleges have donated a work out uniform to the players of theirs and also a chance to meet some of the star players that they have.” So Bobby’s Dad had got boxes that day from the colleges that were not going to be there but the main big colleges like USC,UCLA,OREGON, AND STANFORD, were going to bring their stuff with them.Everybody was suppose to wear the collage that they were going too and then late that day, they would put back on the Point Loma High Football uniform and workout again but just for fun.

The next day, everybody got a Text message from me and was told to meet in the cafeteria for a meeting because the class room was too small to fit everybody in there.We worked out for a good hour or two and then everybody was served breakfast and then in about 3 hours, we would have to come back and work out for a good 30 minutes.Everybody is given a certain amount of reps and how much weight to put on depending on your position. Like for a Lineman, you would needs to lift over about 150 because since they are so big,the weight shouldn’t be so hard. Same thing for D-Line and D-Ends. QB’s work with the Running Backs and fullbacks. Wide receivers and Cornerbacks work together and Linebackers work with D-line.Then when everybody is finished, we go home and come back the next day.The game against Madison was coming up with in 3 days and we were ready for that game. We had worked hard over the weekend and the momentum from the friday before carried over to the madison game.

Since it was the game that was in the Quarterfinals, the show “ PPR” was going to come and interview the team before we play later that day.My dad and brother had just got back from the airport and they were going to pick me up because we had a couple of hours to rest and get something to eat and also if we need to, run to the store and by some gear or some drinks because we needed to be at the school by 5:00 pm. When I got home, a couple of the guys called me and wanted to got get something to eat in about 30 minutes and also got to Dicks sporting goods because they needed a new mouthpiece and some other things. When I got to school, I had to go straight to the office because I needed to take a couple of test for classes because I wasn’t going to be here later. The freshman were going to go on the bus with us because we need the team block a couple of the Madison fans from stopping us from the bus to the locker room. All the guys made it and needed to go get dress. I was going to be the first running back in my Senior Year to run over 10,000 yards through the official season and also 500 yards in the playoffs so far. The people from USC where here to watch and get some game film of the Madison fullback to compete against Miguel and Josh because Miguel was going to play Defensive Tackle and Josh was going to play Defensive Tackle too and also they were going to play Line too because that was their main position.When my dad and brother showed up they were able to go on the field because since they played and also because they are coaches too but for me, they have to be on the field when the games starts.Oregan was there to look at the Madison’s QB.My mom and little brother showed up and wished me good luck when they saw me and they sat down with my older brother because he saved them seats when he got there.” Hey Gabe, how many yards am I going to get today.” Gabe replied
“ Well bro, their d line is Nasty and can play run, but their main linebacker’s are injured so they have the back-ups and they can’t really tackle. But maybe another 300 yards for the Quarterfinals.” Bobby’s dad said
” You should never show any mercy for a team that can beat you. You run the ball hard and fast until the clock says 4th quarter and there is no more time left” Bobby replied to his dad
” Yeah, but if their d-line is good what should I do then to get the ball up field.” Bobby’s dad
“ Hit the hole, take one juke and then lower your shoulder and run them over. You need to run hard until you know at nobody will catch you because they will if you let them.” My dad and brother are people who think that if they deserve to lose then you should not stop scoring until the clock runs out of time. When they played football,my dad was a fullback and also a linebacker. He ran the ball until everybody didn't want to tackle him anymore and my brother played linebacker and he would just pound people in the ground and would pick the ball off for a touchdown every chance he had. Well, for me, I was a person who thought  that if they knew that weren’t able to comeback, I would just keep running but not so hard because they didn't deserve to be beating up bad. My mom was different though. She never really wanted me to play football because she thought I would get hurt but She see’s it as, a fun to play with friends and not really a competition. When I asked her about college she was glad but she wasn’t glad when I was talking about how I was going to run all over the team and not let them score or ever gain a first down. I asked my mom “ Mom, what you want me to do today in the game. Should I not let them score or even tackle me and not even a first down.” she replied with a voice that a mother was proud no matter what
“ You should just play the game, even though that you have a scholarship for USC and that this is a game for the Semi-finals. You need to understand that some people won't be playing this game next year. I want you to win really bad but once they know that they aren't going to win anymore, you let the team do the rest and you take a rest.” Bobby thought about what his Mom,Dad and what Gabe had said because this team made it this far and wasnt ready to go down without a fight. The first Quarter I ran for 150 yards and scored twice. I came back out with only 100 yards and 1 touchdown. Madison was only down by 1 touchdown. The second Quarter was over and HALFTIME came along. Coach Diaz  came in and gave us a halftime speech because he always does that during halftime and it’s almost the same speech every time. “ Look boy’s, we have got them where we want them. They cant stop us now. So lets go out there and show them what Pointer Football is all about.”
Everybody broke the hudl and went back onto the field and we started to stretch and warm-up again because it was at night everybody is sweating and it is freezing cold on the field. Bobby was on the field and his dad came over and talked to Bobby about his running game and also about the way he was playing on defense. “ Bobby, you need to run harder. They keep stopping you after you go five yards. You need to get a first down every time you run and also you need to try and break tackles and get a touchdown for the team. Look to the left because they had to replace their left-side Defensive tackle with the back -up because the first string guy had got a concussion early in the game. So look to the left and see the hole. When you play defensive tackle or End keep your outside shoulder open so if they sweep or pitch the ball, you are the first one to wrap up.” Bobby’s brother came on the field too and told Bobby to run through the line when he was on defense because they line has back-up’s too. He brother told him
” Bobby, like dad said, keep that outside open. You bite every-single time on the read-option. Contain and then when you see the ball being pulled by the quarterback or being given to the Running-back, then attack. The coaches are calling it to your side every time. You just lucky the Quarterback hasn’t pulled it because he would of scored twice on us with that play.” Bobby’s dad and brother left to the stands because they were calling plays and also looking at the opponent’s offense.
When Bobby was given the ball, he took it for 2 more touchdowns. The score was 42-21 but not for long, Madison came back and was down by 1 touchdown.Bobby took a breather but the problem was, that on defense, the other defensive-end wasn’t  told to watch the read-option. The Quarterback had Roby  bite hard on the play and right at the last second, he pulled the ball for a touchdown and now the game was tied 42-42. My team was relying on me to score so we don't have to go for a field goal. I scored again late in the 4th with 4 minutes left on the clock. Madison had put in their all-american fullback against our all-american defensive line. Josh,Miguel,Meshack,CJ, and Bizz was named all-american defensive line because they could stop run and when they needed too, they could drop back and play coverage. the problem was that, Madison had spread everybody out so the linebackers had to go coverage and we had to drop back Josh and Miguel in coverage and have CJ, Jake and me play defensive line. The fullback would run right up the middle and would atleast 6 yards a carry. So the fullback went in as a Wide Receiver and got a pass and took it for a touchdown and only 1 minute was left in the Quarter.

OVERTIME had came into play, we did another coin flip and won. We wanted to the ball because if we score, we win the game but if we kick a field goal. Madison has the chance to score. We got the kick-off Nashom had returned it to the 30 yard line. The offense went up field, I got the ball on took the Ball for a 5 yard gain. Another inside run for a first down. The problem was that since Miguel and Josh were going to have to play defense if we lost the ball, they need to stay out and rest. Kyle took a shot down field and overthrew the ball to thomas. 2nd and 10 and took a five yard out to Bryce for a gain for 20 and got tackled on the 50 yard line. Kyle took a 3 shot’s down field and almost each one was picked off but we knocked it out of bounds. So we sent me out as a Wide receiver and went Hail Mary. Kyle threw the ball to thomas and Bryces direction but the ball was picked off they had got tackled in the End-zone so they moved them to the 20 yard line. They had marched down the field to the 50 and try down field for the win. They missed each time and then ran the ball for a first down.They moved to the 40 yard line and missed the touchdown 3 times in-a-row. Then they threw the ball towards the middle of the touchdown and Josh and Miguel were in coverage and…….
THE BALL WAS PICKED OFF, josh had got the pick from Miguel because he tipped the ball and josh ran right under the ball and was running for dear life. Madison had trained their guys for a situation like this, but so did we. Miguel and Jake were right with him, the fullback, running back and Quarterback from Madison were speeding up. Josh was running past the 50 when they caught up to them. Josh stiffed arm the big fullback and Miguel had laid out the Running Back The only person left was the Quarterback. Jake had been waiting for a big hit all year. The quarterback had jumped in the air trying to land on Josh to try and bring him down, but Jake wasn’t going to let it happened. Jake had ran a little past josh and just BAM, jake crushed the Quarterback into the ground and Josh was open for at least a good 30 yards and scored for the winning touchdown.The score was 49-42 and that was it. The Point Loma POINTERS were going to the Semifinals against the mean Machine “ HELIX”. Helix had won CIF for the past Five years and wasn’t going to let The Point Loma Pointers stop them.

The next following day, we watched film again but this time we broke everything down. The amount of time’s they run that play or when they run a certain for a certain field position that they want. We also saw the players that run with the most. They always run outside to the right when they need a short distance because they can seal the end. They pass when they know the running game isn’t working and then they go long because they have fast Wide Receivers. My dad and brother watched the film on the T.V in the living room of our house and wrote down anything that they called for instance, if they need to get the first down, they put #52 which is a lineman in fullback and #6 as the running back so they can stuff the inside gap. When they go wide, my dad wants to pull out noseguard and put in an extra Safety so if they decide to go mid-range, we have guys everywhere. They also sub a lot. The starters begin and while they go up with point’s they switch because the defense doesn't have enough stamina to keep up so they use the time out when they need to. So this week, we are going to need to run fast and have a no-hudl offense so that when they call time out, they won't have any by the 2nd quarter.
Sunday morning came and Coach Diaz wanted us to come in and practice and weight lift for a little because it was going to be hard week and we need to be prepared this week because it is the Semi-final game and we can’t go out with a loss. My dad and brother went to church and I drove back to my house to get something to eat because Sunday football was going on and the scouts wanted me to watch a little bit of college ball because they would play all the game’s over again. When my mom called me she asked “ Bobby, what time do you need to be in LA with the scouts because they just called me and your father and told us that you have a meeting in about 4 hours.” Bobby replied
“ I don't know, they never called me and emailed me saying I have a meeting today, did they say what it is about.” His mom said
“ They want you to come in and try the new running shoes and come get fitted now because they just got your size in and the helmet and everything that you wanted on it.”
Bobby left to LA and went to USC to go get everything done. His mom was waiting for him at the school because the school wants somebody there with Bobby so that they can help out. They also gave him, his room number and keys for next year , he had to  get paperwork done, give them contact information and also go to the doctors to get a physical because they needed everything to be done a year in advance so they can send it to the PAC-12 conference officials because that was the division that USC had been playing in for the past 10 years.
I went to school on Monday took my physics and math test and then went to all my class’s so I could grab my homework from friday and grab the new one this week because it almost thanksgiving and I had to make up some homework so I could get that 4.0 GPA so I could send it to USC and have them keep a copy of my Grades.The football team had a meeting and then film and then weight room and then we practice because it was monday. We had rented light for the team from a rental place and played with those week because we needed to get used to them if we wanted to stay in it. My brother had came out and took l the defense onto the other side of the field and had them work on the offense that Helix was going play with. Me,Miguel,Josh,Jake, and CJ were there today but Meshack was sick over the weekend and wasn’t coming back until tomorrow.We worked on the way that we stand because they did a lot of passing and  running and also would go on two. Josh and Miguel were playing defensive tackle and CJ switched over to noseguard because Meshack wasn't here. Now since Helix is a running team, Miguel and Josh couldn't go into zone right away, they had to delay and then leave. Me and Jake worked on going outside and working on Screens with Coach P and then Josh,Miguel,CJ worked with coach Mark at defensive line. My dad had also came out and showed the DB’s what passing formation they were going to run. My dad is hard on Me at sports because since my dad and brother were like all-stars at the High school, they wanted me to be the same and always go hard against anybody that was in my way. My dad and also explained to the DB’s that when they go screen or when they run outside, to not get in front if the d-line and d-ends and linebackers because they would be coming full steam ahead and won't stop.When my dad and brother left because they had other game film to watch on Helix. Coach Mark had come over and asked if everybody was ok. Coach Mark asked “ Hey guys, you sure you ok.” The team replied
“ Yeah coach, we are fine. It’s just Monday.” Everybody left and came back the next day because we were going to scrimmage against each other on Tuesday because we called it
“ Competition Tuesday”
and that meant that if the Second team was better that the 1st team, the 2nd team would start. Coach Diaz  always had a scout defense against the starting offense and then would have a scout offense against the 1st defense.
Coach Brisco was the DB coach with my dad and my brother was also a coach with coach Mark. Except my brother was barely here so we couldn’t really ask him for help. When he was down here, he would hang out with old friends and would be down here for the school because of their basketball camps.My dad was me and my brother’s coach every sport that we played. If it was basketball, he would be my brother coach, if it was football and off season he would be my trainer because he always showed me how to work hard.My mom was my biggest fan, she would try and show up to my games and she would by everything that came out into store’s of me and my brother’s. My sister wasn’t really a person who played sports, she would be on and off about them.
Game day had come and the team was ready to go against the Undefeated Helix.We showed up to school and then left to the locker room so we can go get everything ready. We watched a little bit more film and we also went home because we needed to grab a couple of things. My dad and brother would meet us at the field because they didn’t want to be on the bus. My mom and the family had also went to my game. Game time was only about 10 minutes away and we started to warm up.The team was ready to beat the undefeated  Helix High and go on to play in the CIF Championship game. Josh and Miguel were warming up with Kyle and the wide Receivers because Coach Diaz  and Coach Mark wanted to pass on this team with the fullbacks and runningbacks.Since my dad and brother were coaches, they had to begin on the field and then they can go in the stands to record the game.My mom and little brother had made it to the game with lindsey and the other cheerleaders. The game began and then we kicked the ball off. Me,Jake,Miguel,CJ, and Josh began because since we needed to score on defense, we began.Coach Brisco called over-man defense with shifts the defense to the strong side.When we switched over they passed, so Josh and Miguel had to go into coverage and Miguel had picked the ball off. Josh had tipped the ball and Miguel dove for it. Kyle and the offense came on and I went in as running back.The first play was an outside pitch and Josh had came in  for Quick Tackle.I had got a 50 yard run until I got dragged to the ground. Then the next play brenton had got a screen for a 45 yard run and scored for the first touchdown of the semi-final game. So we kicked the ball of the Helix brought it out to the 20 yard-line, when he fumbled and the big blocker jumped right on the ball. So defense went back out and we almost had two picks in a row, but Thomas had dropped the ball behind him.

We called in for a monster defense because we knew that they were going to run, so we through in Meshach and just blew up the offensive line.We stopped them for a 10 yards loss because the quarterbacks saw that the line was destroyed and tried to run outside, but he got sacked by me.I switched out with Andrew Bass because I  needed me for offense. They turned the ball over on 4th and 20 because we blocked the punt.Kyle threw a 30 yard pass to me in the corner of the end-zone.Coach Diaz  called in P.A.T. POINTERS 14, HELIX 0. Half-Time was only 2:00 minutes away and  Helix had the ball. They pitched outside and got a 20 yard run. They went in the air and the Quarterback had overthrew their Star Wide-Receiver “ Louis Becker” He had 100 yards per-game and also 12 touchdowns in the past two game’s. Thomas had to guard him and also bryce had play safety because we took out the nose to put two safeties in the back. Helix threw the ball to the running back and there were was only 1 minute left. The running back fumbled the ball at the first down marker and CJ picked the ball up and ran until the Wide-Receiver Louis came and dragged him down. Coach Marked called the two last play of the 1st half. The first play was a triple reverse to Josh, and the second play was a screen for thomas. We had scored before the half-time. Coach Diaz iaz  came in and gave us a pep-talk and then the coaches ran down everything.Coach Mark had lead us out back to the field to warm-up again and to get the kicking team ready for the kickoff of the second half.
Bobby’s dad had came onto the field and had the whole team warm-up together. We had scouts watching us play today. The second half began and we got the ball. The first play of the second half, we scored with a 80-yard run by Kyle. He had to roll out, when he did, he had an open lane and took it. He juked out the corner back and was gone. Nobody was going to able to catch him. Now it’s: POINTERS 28, HELIX 0. Helix had got the ball. They took a shot down field and got it. Helix had finally put points on the board. 3rd quarter was over and now it’s the final quarter of the game. We didn't score that whole quarter but Helix did. They only two other time’s and that was it. The Pointer’s were going to the CIF Championship.The Pointers were going to have go against the “CATHEDRAL CATHOLICS” they had lost in open division last year but they were not going to lose this year.
Bobby had scored 5 times against Cathedral but they answered right back. They scored 5 times too. POINTERS 35, CATHOLICS 35. Kyle pitched the ball to Josh and he took it home. Josh and Miguel had scored 3 times combined but the problem was that they were only up 1 touch down. Cathedral had to go for a field goal and they made it. POINT LOMA  POINTERS had won CIF but lost in the Nationals.

Bobby,Josh,Miguel,Bryce,Kyle,Brenton,Thomas, CJ,Meshach, Nashom,Kyle G., and Mikey  had moved up to the college level.They played all four years and after that, they got drafted by the NFL. Josh,Miguel,Mikey and CJ went to the “OAKLAND RAIDERS” Bryce,Nashom, and Thomas went to the “ SAN DIEGO CHARGERS” and Kyle G, Meshach,and Brenton went to the “ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS” all of them are still good friends. They kept contact and they also had children.Josh had 3, Miguel had 3, Bryce and Nashom had 2 and CJ,Meshach,and Brenton had 4 kids. They all lived happy lives. All of them still remember the days they played in High-school and all of them returned back to “ POINT LOMA HIGH SCHOOL” and coached the varsity team. They trained them the same way that coach Diaz,Coach Mark.Coach Brisco, Bobby’s Dad, Bobby’s brother  had. They couldn’t stop the game that they loved.