All Hallow's Eve | Teen Ink

All Hallow's Eve

By Nora Abdelrazik, New York, New York
Nora Abdelrazik, New York, New York

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

The night brought many dangers, and Rowan knew he was one of them. He relished in the fear and the pain of those weaker than him, and the screams as he tore out their hearts. Serves them right. Moonlight fell down on him, illuminating his twisted smile and the gleam in his devil red eyes.
It was a full moon tonight, on Hallows Eve, and he had been revving himself up, excited to ensue chaos and destruction upon the mortal world. Rowan turned and wiped his face, smearing it with the lower demons blood.
“Tch. Nasty quality and poor taste,” he said, licking his fingers free of the blood coating them, “Hardly worth the effort. Such little magic. And absolutely no power. Might as well have been a puny mortal.” He spat out the last word, the taste rather putrid in his mouth after speaking of such an annoying and vile race.
Rowan was one of the most powerful -- and most evil -- beings in the spirit world. Not only that, but because he is also a demon, his powers derive from evil itself, and he is the essence of dark magic in all the realms.
“Master, the moon is almost at its peak - the barrier is nearly thin enough for you to pass through,” a hunchbacked servant mumbled shakily. His voice showed his nervousness at conversing with Rowan.
He turned from his brooding to give the servant a barbaric, evil smile.
“Finally! The mortals are waiting for their death, and I must not be late.” At that, Rowan broke into hysterical laughter, the booming sound echoing across the large room. The servant glanced up at the moon, silent in his mourning for all the lives that would be lost and gone forever.
Death is coming to get you, mortals. Ready, Set...
Rowan looked up to the moon, and smiled --a smile that foretold death and destruction to all who saw it.

“Go.”

Artemis was afraid of the dark and the horrors hidden from the light and draped in shadow. Her fear choking her in its suffocating hold, she stood there in the silence of the forest. She felt as though death was to come out of the night and embrace her within its bony arms and take her down with it to oblivion.
Snap out of it. Death isn't near. You have done nothing to incur his wrath. All you must do is run. Run you foolish girl. RUN! Her subconscious screamed, and she had no qualms about following. The choking hold she was in lifted as adrenaline kicked in. She turned and ran as though the Devil himself was fast on her heels. The demon with blood red eyes might as well have been the devil.
The forest loomed before her, appearing as a neverending darkness. Branches grabbed at her hair and clothing as she ran, cutting her and pulling her in. Her breath appeared in large white puffs of cloud, her lungs hurting from the biting air, her muscles feeling like lead threatening to drag her down and pin her to the ground. Yet she pushed on, knowing the fate that awaits if she stops.
“Almost there. Almost there. Get to the edge of the forest- then you’ll be safe.” She heard howling in the distance, and hysterical laughter that hinted the edge of insomnia. She felt the darkness closing in around her. Her panic was almost overwhelming, and she could practically taste the fear exploding within her.
“God damnit Artemis - what the hell possessed you to go out to the forest at this hour,” she scolded herself as a way of distracting her mind from the ever-growing fear that she will no longer be able to run, and he will strike.
She tripped over a tree root that suddenly appeared in the path. As she went tumbling down in a flurry of limbs and curses, she felt as though her heart would cease beating. She was bleeding from cuts and scrapes on her knees and arms, and she was limping with her left leg from the fall. The pain pushed her close to the brink of a full panic attack. A scream was on the tip of her tongue waiting to burst from her mouth in a cry of fear and desperation. Fear from the demon with red eyes that had been hunting her for years, ever since she escaped from him 9 years ago, on her 8th birthday.
It was her birthday today as well, but she had no reason to celebrate. October 31st was a day for prayers to live through the night and cursing the demons and other beings that lie in the shadows, waiting to reveal themselves and ensue chaos and death. It most definitely was not a day of celebration. Especially not for her. 
“You’re not going to escape me this time. I will get you - just like your family.” She heard the demon’s deep words, and she tripped again, this time from her surprise and from the sudden rush of anger. It was him! He was the demon that killed mama and papa! And now he wants to kill me!
At her fall, the demon laughed, a rich sound that seemed to come from deep within. A sound that turned evil and murderous as the distance between them shortened with each large step. It scared her, but she wouldn’t show her fear. It wasn’t like her to whimper and crawl and beg like a mindless girl; she was strong. She had to be to survive the years she had been through. Wandering around, alone with a hole in her heart that wouldn’t heal. Getting kidnapped, betrayed, sold and abused made her strong and tough. She knew the moment she had seen her parents killed by the red-eyed demon that her childhood was over, and that she would have a difficult life filled with challenges and loneliness.
She heard a twig snap, too close for her to feel safe. She got up as fast as she could, turned and ran - at least, she tried to. She bumped into a hard, masculine chest, and fell back to the ground in horror. He caught her. The man. The demon.
“Rowan.”

The leaves crumbled and crunched under her hands as she scrambled to get away from him. The bitter scent of damp dirt and leaves assaulted her senses, leaving her dizzy. He was laughing at her- not aloud, but she could see it in his eyes. There was that twinkle that foretold of the havoc he would create. It was menacing.
His aura threatened to overwhelm her, and her beating heart only seemed to get louder. She was afraid- she couldn’t help it. She knew what this demon can do- would do- wants to do. And nothing stopped him. Until her.
Rowan looked at the girl on the ground, trembling from fear. He felt the adrenaline from the excitement of a chase die down until it remained a whisper in the back of his mind. He knew that Artemis would try to put on a show of fearlessness and bravery, but her eyes gave it away. He always did tell her that her eyes are the gateway to her soul. Her beautiful green and gold eyes, that seemed to pierce his soul and find the heart he thought he didn’t have. But  things have changed- he has changed. He wanted her. And he would do anything he could to have her.
“Hello Artemis. Lovely night we’re having- wouldn’t you agree? The moon is shining, people are screaming, and there is destruction everywhere.” Rowan knew he was provoking her, but he couldn’t help but play with his food. He needed something interesting to do until dawn- when he could return home with his newly won prize.
“Shut up you filthy demon- shut the hell up!” Artemis’s face was turning red, and her voice an octave higher than normal. She was shouting at the person she had called friend- once upon a long time ago. “I trusted you, you bastard- you MURDERER!” She was angry and frustrated- with him and herself- and her anger quickly overtook her fear. Her face scrunched up, and she was blinking rapidly to remove the tears that threatened to hinder and blurry her vision. “I trusted you,” she said, in a breathy whisper. The words were filled with pain, betrayal, hate, and even- was that love?!  Rowan’s heart began to beat a little bit faster.
The wind was howling - the air seemed to tremble and thicken with energy and tension. The moon cast a light in the otherwise dense darkness.
Rowan’s red-eyes glowed from the anger surging around Artemis. Her energy was always strong- always demanding. It was a unique shade of red, similar to her hair that was free and billowing around her frame.
“Ah yes- all those humans. Delicious.” He said this with a smirk, knowing he was pushing all the right buttons to make her tick. “Especially your parents. I must say, their taste was rather exceptional- for mortals. I’m sure yours will be no different. I would very much like a taste- just one bite.”
“Not a chance in hell.” She snarled, slowly creeping backwards with every large and lithe step he took.
He snickered at her weak show of bravado -her fear was obvious. 
“Tell you what. If you can manage to escape me and hide from me until morning, I will stop looking for you.” Artemis’s head snapped up to his, her face showing her hope. “But if I catch you,” he closed the space between them with two large steps and leaned in close to her face, “you’re mine.”
She stiffened and quickly exhaled a large breath. She pushed him away from her, and put some distance between them. “You won’t catch me, and I’m not yours.”
“Who knows, maybe you’ll manage to evade me for the night, although I doubt you’ll manage to go that far. And hey you know what, I’ll even be nice and give you a head start- how does 5 minutes sound?” She scowled at him. He’s teasing me! Little cocky bastard-I will not be captured!.
“On your marks... get set... go!” His voice thundered across the forest, scaring the little animals in their homes and making the rest rush to safety.
Artemis turned and ran- she ran as fast as she possibly could. She knew where she wanted to go- the coven- but that was all the way on the other side of the forest! She desperately tried to think of different routes, different places where she could go and hide until dawn - until Rowan finally disappeared from her life forever.
She felt a pang in her heart at the thought, but quickly dismissed it- it would do no good to remember how Rowan was her best friend, and how he always managed to cheer her up when she felt down, and how he always-
“NO!” He manipulated me into his arms! He never loved me- all those pretty words were lies! Lies! He is a demon after all- and everyone knows demons cannot be trusted.
She returned her attention back to her surroundings when she began to smell smoke. Whenever there’s smoke, there is always- No. He wouldn’t. She twisted her body towards the flames that were erupting all around her and devouring the trees and leaves. They burned the night sky- and threatened to burn her as well.
The flames closed around her, putting her in the middle of the circle of fire. She was coughing heavily from the smoke that seemed to be everywhere. She knew what was happening, but she couldn’t give in. She wouldn't give in.
“Well well well. What do we have here?” He smirked at her condescendingly, with an air of superiority about him. “I seem to have caught something very interesting.”
“You lying bastard! You cheat!” She gritted her teeth, mad at herself for trusting him even a little. She was twisting her skirt rapidly and repeatedly, panicking because she knew that if she didn’t escape soon, she’d be captured and taken and she would be... she would be... his. She gulped, trying to push past the sudden ball in her throat. She felt like she was choking- suffocating from the sudden assault of feelings that rose within her.
She let go of her skirt, and clutched her hands tightly together to stop the shaking of her fingers, hoping he wouldn’t notice the extent of her fear and worry.
He did, and he was going to take full advantage of it. Distract her long enough to get close to her and take her back with him home.
“Whatever do you mean, love? There were no rules - except that if I catch you, you’re mine.” His eyes darkened ominously for a second and then went back to its usual shade of blood red, so fast she thought she imagined it. “And will you look at that!” He gestured towards her and then to the flames surrounding only her. “It looks like I’ve caught you.” He looked so happy and satisfied she thought he was going to start clapping and dancing. Don’t flatter yourself. You haven’t caught me just yet you sly bastard. Artemis frowned, the lines in her forehead creasing as she thought of the best moment to run, and possibly hurt him in the process. I’ll have to do it when he least expects it...
“What are you going to do to me when you take me back? Kill me? Make me a slave? Feed me to the demons? Torture me?” She waited with a bated breath, hoping he would take the bait. She just needed him to be distracted for a couple of seconds- then she could run. Her palms were sweaty, and she had to keep rubbing them on her skirt to remove the sweaty sheen. Her body was trembling from fear and adrenaline, and she almost missed it when he spoke. She turned her body, ready to sprint in a moments notice.
“I’m not really sure what I’m gonna do with you. You’ve been a thorn in my side ever since you escaped, and now that I have you... Well let’s just say,” his voice was suddenly much closer to her than it was a few seconds ago, “I’m definitely not about to let you go.”
She stiffened as iron arms circled her waist and gripped her tight. He knew. She felt all hope and energy leave her body, leaving her almost limp in Rowan’s arms.  Now that he has me, he’s never gonna let me go.
She raised her head up to his and looked in his eyes, red tendrils framing her face. As they looked at each other, the wind picked up and started swirling around them, going faster and faster, picking up the multi-colored leaves on the ground. It formed a circle around them, replacing the flames.
Rowan turned them around and she gasped. Artemis’s face paled as a portal opened and slowly grew before her eyes. It was a deep purple, almost black and looked terrifyingly sinister with its swirling vortex appearance. She tried to step back, but Rowan's solid form blocked her, and hindered her attempt to run away.
"Time to go sweetheart. Our time is almost up." Rowan looked up to the descending moon upon the horizon, and  gazed at it for a moment. He then turned his attention to Artemis. She squirmed under his heavy gaze, and started to yell as he suddenly pulled her in the directing of the swirling vortex of darkness. Her dragging feet and intense struggling didn’t appear to faze him; he continued to pull her.
"No! Please, no. Don't do this to me. Don't do this Rowan! Please! Please." She pleaded hysterically, pulling at his shirt, his arms, anywhere she could reach to try and stop the inevitable.  Gradually her voice lowered until it was just a whisper.
Rowan’s heart twisted in his chest from her pleas, and from the pain in her voice. He was causing that pain in her, and normally he wouldn’t feel bothered. But she’s different. He knew how desperately she hated him, hated his world. But she will learn to love me. She has to. His brow furrowed with conviction. She will.
He picked her up, ignoring her scrambling and scratching fingernails, and ran into the portal. She felt desperation, misery, and sorrow. Numbness spread through her body like a flame, engulfing her in it’s sweet caress of nothingness.
She turned her head towards the opening as they fell. She looked upon the outside world, one last time.
A red bird flew to a branch, and began to sing a melancholic song. The forest was silent, listening to the bird’s song.
She was falling backwards, farther and farther away from the opening and closer and closer to the house of the demon with red eyes. She let a tear fall, for she knew it would be the last one she would ever shed. She closed her eyes, and turned away from the world she once knew, and despondently embraced the new one.
She heard one last tune from the bird that seemed to resonate through her.
Goodbye.