Is This the Beginning or Is This the End? | Teen Ink

Is This the Beginning or Is This the End?

By Graci, Bonner Springs, Kansas
Graci, Bonner Springs, Kansas

"Funerals are for the dead not the living"

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

I don't understand how our world came to this. The floods, tornado's, and hot temperatures. The disease, contaminated food and water. I don't understand my life and why I am still here. It has been just over a year since the beginning of the horrible life that I have right now. My older brother and I have nothing but oranges and some water bottles we have saved over the year before the water got contaminated. But we were soon to run out and the clock was ticking. We couldn't go outside. The disease was in the air and we couldn't risk it and if there were people outside they would eat us. There was no food so their only choice is to turn into cannibals. We were safe underground and that's how we would stay.
    The disease was not started accidental. A man named Robert B. King was doing tests on disease in Africa and one of them was ebola. He wasn't supposedly wearing the right gear and got the disease. He was too scared to tell anyone because if he did he wouldn't be able to come back. So after getting contaminated he brought vaults of the disease to test in America. After 2 months 500 thousand people got contaminated because of him. Robert eventually died, but the disease kept spreading all across the globe until hundreds and millions of people died.  After it killed almost every person on the globe natural disasters started to happen. Tornado's, hurricanes, but most of all very hot temperatures. The temperature would go up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit and that's how we ended up here. Underground hiding from the world even though we know we will eventually die. Hiding from the thing that scares us the most, death. No one can escape from it though, but we are trying to and we know it will catch up to us sooner or later. 

Do you want a orange?” asks my brother,Tony.
“No I’m good,” I say.
“Eat it Spencer, you have probably lost 10 pounds in the last week,” Tony says.
“I’m fine okay,”
He looks at me with his brown eyes. They looked so much like dads, but something was missing from them, happiness. His eyes were filled with so much sadness. I couldn't bare to look him directly in the eyes, so I turned away. I could feel his eyes burning through me, but I still did not dare to look at him. I wish I could see my mother and father again. After the disease happened we couldn't find them. Its like they just disappeared. 
I could hear footsteps behind me. He sits next to me and looks at me. I turn to face him.
“Tell me are you really okay?” he asks.
“No not really, how can I be. Our family disappeared because of this stupid disease. If only there were another way to live,” I say.
He stares at me for what seems like hours and then he says “I am so sorry, this is not how you should be spending your life.”
“It’s not your fault,” I say.
We both sit there in silence when we hear a big boom. I get up quickly and look through our little peek hole. In the distance there's a big explosion. The fog and smoke that comes from it makes the sky black and dirty. Emerging from the smoke is a group and from the looks of it, I knew exactly who they were. They were the tablaos. The tablaos were a huge cannibal gang right when the disease started. Now they roam the streets in search for people to eat.
“That was a good meal,” said one of the boys.
“Yeah it was and I cant wait for more,” said one girl.
“You know people who are hiding are wimps,” said one of the guys.
“Yeah they are, I don't understand why they hide. Its just a disease,” says one of the girls.
“Hey do you guys smell that?” asks one of the boys.
“Yeah it smells like its coming from the ground,” says one of them.
I start to panic, they know we are here. I get away from the peephole and go over to Tony.
“We need to hide now, the tablos can smell were down here,” I said frantically while grabbing my bookbag.
“What do you mean?”
“They just said that they smelled something coming from the ground and that basically means us,” I scream.
He then realizes this a serious situation and gets up .
“Where are we going to hide?”
I look around and then look through the peephole again they were digging the ground. They were so close but then one of them yells “There's two kids over here come on.”
I see them run away over to 2 five year olds. I can't believe they would be that full of  hatred to eat children. I stand there for a while and shock and then get down. I slide against the wall and let out a sigh. Putting my hand on my head I say  “Were fine they just went over to eat 2 five year olds.”.
“WHAT they actually did that?” he asks in shock just like me.
“Ya.”
I go over to our food and water, but there wasn't any there. I look around under our bags and clothes. I started to get frantic. It has to be somewhere. I keep looking, searching every corner of the bunker.  Nothing there was no food and no water. We were going to die or we could go outside, but that couldn't be an option for us. Were still kids and we can't survive a blood death battle and a disease that's airborne. I turn around and see him looking at me.
“There is no food or water Tony. How are we going to survive?” I ask with a frantic voice while crying.
He doesn't answer me, but at the same time he doesn't look surprised. Like he knew we were out of food.  
“TONY!”
After a couple seconds of stillness and quietness he says “I knew we were getting short on food and I didn't want to tell you because I knew you would get frantic.”
“How could you not tell me. This is a matter of life and death and you didn't want to get me frantic.”
He looks down at his feet and I can see tears running down his eyes. I have never seen him cry before. I go over to him and hug him.
“We'll be okay,” I say and stand there holding him while he shakes and cries. I knew he knows what I’m thinking. We have to go outside. If I had any other choice I would pick it, but thats the only way for us to survive and in a way find our parents and see if they're alive. I have to be strong for my brother because he's breaking down really fast and its a matter of time before I do. So I have to hold myself together. I have to hold the pieces of my heart that are crumbled and broken. Hold the darkest and most deepest sadness I have ever endured in my entire life.
After 10 more minutes he stops crying and I put him to bed. I look around the bunker. It wasent a bad place to live for the past year.  There was a bunk bed in the corner and a table in the other. There was also some board games and other stuff. My mother and father built this bunker in case of emergencies. We never used it till now.

I grab 2 book bags and start folding clothes and putting them in the bags. I also put other things like guns and a couple knifes so we have protection. Getting up a picture falls out of Tony’s jean pocket and it was a picture of mom and dad. They stood their with their bright smiles hugging each other. I stood up holding the picture in my hand and wonder why Tony never bothered to show me this picture. Turning around I see that Tony is sitting on the bed and staring at me holding the picture.
“How come you never showed me this?” I ask.
“It would have hurt you,” he says intensely
I knew he was right. I would have broken down looking at it. I stand up and put the picture back where I found it.
“We will leave tomorrow. We need to sleep well because we don't know what's out there and we need to have all the energy we got,” I said while looking at him directly in the eye.
Walking over to the the bed to got to sleep he stops me by grabbing my hand.
“You know its okay to cry,” he says.
He brings me into a hug and I cry and cry. Letting the deep pain take over me. This is what I was afraid of. I was afraid that if I started to cry I wouldn't be able to stop.
I wake up and look around. Tony is next to me and I get up. I go over to the mirror and look at myself. Tears were dried on my face. My face looked pale and there were black lines under my eyes. My lips were swollen and my hair was greasy and dirty. I see that in the corner all are bags are ready. All we had to do is put them on our backs and head out of the escape route.
I take a towel and scrub my face till its red. When I am done I go over to Tony and wake him up. His shirt is wet from my tears so I hand him a new shirt.
“Thanks,” he says.
I smile and turn away I grab our stuff. When he puts the new shirt on he says “Ready?”
I sigh and look at him. “ Ya.”
I open the escape rout door and go out first. When I am outside I have realized that humanity has destroyed itself. Our world could never be put back together. When Tony comes out he looks at me and looks at his surroundings. He is thinking the same thing.
“What happened to this place?” I ask him.
“I have no idea Spencer.”
The streets were littered with blood and trash. There was no grass on the ground only dirt. No more blue sky only black smoke. Buildings are not standing only broken into pieces.  No sign of water or food. Bodies ripped to shreds are all over the place. The air is thin and unbearable to breath. My brother looks at me and his eyes are full of wonder of how this ended up.
“We have to start walking because I know groups of cannibals will be coming. Since we don't have the disease they will want us more,” I said.
He nodded his head as a response.
“Lets go left, because thats the way to California. Probably there's some food we could find there,” I say
He doesn't say anything just nods his head again. We start walking and I’m still in shock. How could our world come to this? How could our home turn in to this? The one place where I played outside. The one place where I went outside for fresh outside. But now we are in ruins and there was nothing I could do about it.
1 day later..
We have been walking non-stop. All we saw was city's in ruins. We only found one water bottle and we shared it. I barely can walk but we can't stop. I threw up at least 3 times today, Tony 5 times. I know the disease is in us, but what is there to do. I want to see the outside before I die. Tony runs over to the side of the road and throws up. I knew he had the disease more than me. I can't lose him though. He is the only family I have left and if I lose him what is the point of living anymore.
“You okay?”
He wipes his mouth and looks at me with tears in his eyes. He says “No,” in a hoarse voice.
I think he was losing his voice. The whole trip he barely talked so thats the only answer.  We keep walking and then I grab his arm.
“Lets go over to that building and stay the night their. You barely can walk and I can't also. So lets rest and have a good nights sleep. Then in the  morning we can start walking again,” I
say.
He nods and follows me into the building. When we get inside there are papers scattered all over the floor and computers broken to bits. I knew why I picked this place.  This is where my father used to work and if I had to stay somewhere for the night I would stay in a place I knew and felt comfortable with. We walk around and I see pictures of different families and frames cracked. I go over to the stairwell and nod towards Tony. We walk in the stairwell even though its full of broken glass and other items. After a little while I knew we still had 5 stairwells to go. 
We keep walking but then we stop when we see a woman's body on the floor.  She had no hands but her face was turned towards us. She looked like she was in her 30’s and had brown hair and blue eyes that stared right through me. I knew exactly who it was. I turn to vomit and when I’m done I turn back around.  Her eyes were still pouring into me. Why did it have to be her out of all people? That woman was my mother.

I look at her lifeless body and wonder how did this come to this. I look around to see Tony in the same shock as I am. But the question that has just struck me now is where in the world is my father? Did he leave mom like this so her body could rot like this? I step over her and grab Tony so he can come too. We have to let her go like we did not to long ago. I cant deal with anymore suffering and pain. She was dead and there was nothing I could do about it. There was nothing to undo what has already been undone. We keep walking up the stairwell in silence to dads office.  I see a sign which says Johan Myers office and I step inside. The whole office was a mess. There was paper scattered everywhere and I saw pictures of us and the family on the floor. A lot of stuff was gone and I know it was stolen. I walk over to the desk when I then step on something and I hear a crack. There underneath my foot was a piece of glass and that piece of glass had a hand attached to it. I scream and fall back. I quickly crawl back away from the horror I had just saw. I knew that had to be one of mothers arms, but what was it doing in dads office. Was he the one who killed her? Why would he do that? Unless he was hungry or he had a motive.
“What's wrong?” Tony asks.
“Moms hand its right there,” I said while pointing to the hand connected to the glass.
I start to cry and Tony holds me while I cry.
When I wake up there's only darkness around me. My face feels wet and sticky so I get up and rub my hand over my face. Through the darkness I can still see we are in dads office.
“Tony,Tony, where are you?” I whisper in the darkness surrounding me. It almost feels like it has swallowed me whole. I walk over to the door when I hear a scream in the distance and I knew the cannibals had reached us. I grab my bag and pull out a bow and arrow. I remember when I was a kid I was an expert at a bow and arrow and now I have to use my skills for a matter of life or death. I grab the rest of my things and follow the screams. I keep running till I reach the outside and then I see him. I see my brother being tortured and soon to be killed.
“Let him go!” I scream to the nasty kids who are hovering over him with gratitude and anger.
“What do we have here, a little girl and her little bow and arrow,” a boy with black hair and wearing spikes all over him says.
“Let my brother go!” I scream and throw a knife at him and he tumbles back. He holds his chest and stops breathing.
“What did you do to my boyfriend!” a girl says. She looks about 16 and has brunette hair. She stares at me with hungry and angry eyes.
“I did what I’m about to do to you,” I said with a smirk and a wave of my hand. I put an arrow on my bow and let it go. It shoots straight to the girls heart and knocks her down. She falls to the ground lifeless.
I start shooting the rest of the pack of people and they all fall. I run over to Tony but I realized that it wasent him. It was a boy about my age and stare at him. 

Where was Tony? 
“Spencer,” says someone behind me.
I turn around and see Tony standing there and looking at me.
“I thought this boy was you and I was trying to save you,” I said quietly.
Tony looks at me and then rushes over to me.
“We need to help him,” I said looking at Tony and then raise my eyebrows.
“Are you infected ?” I asked the boy.
“No I am not thats why they tried to eat me,” he says while coughing intensely.
“Can you walk?” Tony asks the boy.
“Yeah.”
I grab one of his arms and Tony grabs the other we both struggle to carry him in the building. It takes about thirty minutes to get him into dads office but we manage. Once we get him in their Iay him on the ground and head over to another office. I look all over the floor but its hard with tiny little flashlight that I have. I’m trying to find any rags that can stop the bleeding from the mysterious boy in the other room. Then in the corner I see a piece of curtain that you would probably use for a window, but this would do. I grab it and head back to dads office. I see Tony talking to the boy. They seem like they're enjoying each others company. I walk over and lift the boys sleeve up.
“Whats your name?” I ask almost as if I was in a rush.
“My names Winter and what's the name of the girl who saved my life?” he asks me while staring right through me.
“Spencer and I thought you were my brother so dont get sentimental,” I said sarcastically.
“Oh dont worry, I don't think that could ever happen again.”
“What could never happen again?” I ask with a mad look.
“The way you saved me, I mean that was just a one time thing. I really don't think you have it in you to do that performance again,” Winter says smiling at me.
“You know what clean up your arm yourself you selfish little boy,” I hiss at him.
“Okay.”
I walk out onto the balcony that hasn't been destroyed. I remember when dad and me used to come out here and he would show me all the clouds. The shapes and figures of them, but at least this balcony was still standing so I can have the memories by my side. 
“Hey ,” I hear a voice behind me.
“Tony I am not in the mood right now. Especially for Winter and his so called sarcastic tone,” I whisper.
“My sarcastic tone and however do I thank you for my title,” Winter said while smiling. I finally can see him clearly because of the moonlight. He was strong and muscular and had blond hair. His blond bangs were in his face. He was different then my brother. Tony was skinny and had brown hair with no bangs.
“Why are you here, I can't be alone for one second.”
“I wanted to come out and apologize for my behavior earlier. I shouldn't have said that because I know you saved my life and I treated you terribly.” he says with a sympathetic look.
“Okay well bye now,” I said with a wave of my hand.
“Okay bye,” he says surprised.
After about thirty minutes I see both of them talking and laughing like there was nothing wrong with our world. Like they could be happy. I wish I was like that. I go over to my blanket and turn away from them. Trying to fall asleep I hear Tony say “Come on Spencer come over here and hang out with us.”
“No we have to get a good night sleep because tomorrow we have to keep walking. We can't stay here forever because eventually the other cannibals will come and get us.”
Tony says “Okay grumpy pants.”
But before he can finish the rest of his sentence I fall into a deep sleep and I hope I never awake from it.
When I wake up my stomach is grumbling. I feel so hungry and cold. I turn to see both of them asleep. The sky is gray again. There will never be the blue sky we once knew. Only the darkness will surround us and eventually one day take us all away. I go over to Tony and shake him. He turns around and faces me. He asks “What do you want?”
“We need to get on the move okay.”
I go over and kick Winter in the stomach and he wakes up almost instantly.
“Rise and shine pretty boy we have a long day ahead of us.”
Both of them get up grumbling. I start packing all our stuff up and toss the backpack to Tony so he can carry it while I put my bow and arrow over my back. I go over to my boots and put them on and then look at Winter.
“Tony you have to share your clothes with Winter.”
“What Why?” Tony asks while in shock.
“Well you wanted this idiot to come along so you have to make some sacrifices,” I said with my hands crossed over my chest.
“What I am not an idiot!!”
“Okay whatever, we need to get going now,” I say.
I head down the stairs and they follow me with angry mutters. We reach the outside and when we see who is surrounding the building I wish I never did what I did. 

-Winters Perspective-
I never had a happy life with my family. My brother had always got all the attention and my family had just seemed to not care that much for me. Even though I had got a scholarship and he didn't, but when the disease broke out nothing was the same. My brother Nicholas died right when the disease reached our down. It was devastating for my family, but I was only in shock. At that moment I really did not care for his death. It was as if I was rejoicing for his departure to the afterlife. We went to my mothers friends house not to far away from our house. The disease killed every person in our neighborhood and I didn't seem my friends again. After about 8 months my moms friend and her family and my mom died from ebola. It was just me and my dad and after a month he died. So I was alone, alone to survive the thing that I knew I couldn't escape. I decided to head to head to Georgia since it wasent too far from Louisiana. After 2 months of walking and the tiring journey I finally reach it. When I reached the state it was devastating. Everything was wrecked and broken. No people were on the street and all I heard was the wind blowing.  Sometimes I would hear screams as well.  I lived in a building for a while till the cannibals caught me. They pulled me and beat me. They were about to rip me to shreds when a girl about my age killed all the people around me. They fell like soldiers in battle. She called me Tony which I don't understand. My name is Winter not Tony. As she ran over I looked at her. I could see in her eyes she was scared and afraid, but as she looked into my eyes I saw the eyes turn black. She knew that I wasent the person she was looking for. I heard a faint voice coming from behind her and by the tone of her voice I realized the boy behind her. Was the boy she was looking for. She dropped me quickly and went over to him. They actually took me in and I am so happy. Its nice to hang out with people my age. Later that night I hug out with the girls brother and I learned what her name is, it is Spencer. I talked to her on the balcony. By the way her attitude was she had major trust issues. But she was strong and fierce. She didn't let peoples words get the better of her. That night when we all fell asleep I started at her face and saw the peace and calm on it. I could tell the dreams help her hid from the world we live in now. But as I thought of what she might be dreaming of, I too slowly fell into a deep sleep.

-Spencers Perspective-
Cannibals were in every corner around the building, looking at us hungry. I quickly took out my bow and arrow and aimed it at them.
“Don't shoot us pretty girl, all we want to do is talk,” a gothic boy said while raising his hands in defense.  He had a british accent which was really deep and dark. His eyes were drilling through mine and I couldn't get my eyes off of his. Its like he was looking deep into my soul, finding the deep sins that I have committed and the things that I regret to this very day. 
“What makes you think I wont kill you right now?” I ask with a gigantic smirk.
“Well you want to know where your father is don't you Spencer?” he asks with a smirk.
Millions of questions were going through my head and I couldn't seem to pick one to ask. What could I ask this crazy guy? Was he telling the truth or does he really know where my father is?
I still am aiming the arrow towards him and then I said with a fierce and brave voice trying to hold back the tears “Show him to me and then let us be on our way.”
“Okay I give you my word, but one more thing after I show him to you, the boy with blond hair next to you is coming with us. He was one of our treats and we don't want to lose him, but if you don't keep your word with this trade I will kill all three of you and your father,” he said with a bow in my direction.
“DEAL!”
“What you can't do that Spencer, please dont do this!” begs Winter as he falls to the floor.
“I’m sorry I have to,” I say while looking at him with a serious face.
I see the british boy turning the corner to get what he promises to be my dad. The rest of the cannibals stare at us. I never let go of the bow, but I turn around to look at Winter. He looks at me with sad eyes. Eyes that plead for mercy. Eyes that plead for me to tell him this is not real. My heart starts to get twisted in knots. Its like time has stopped when I looked into the sadness and then I realized I can't do this. I can't turn this poor innocent boy to these wretched people. Society has destroyed themselves ,but that doesn't mean we have to destroy ourselves.
When I hear footsteps coming back I turn and then I see him. He was being dragged by two boys and his face was covered in blood. The blood wasent his and I knew that right away. It was someone elses and my father was a cannibal. He killed other people to save his own life. He was a selfish man and I couldn't deal with that. Even if he was my father I don't care. I don't care, even if it means I have to kill him. 
“Here is your father and his wonderful appearance,” says the british bot while raising his hands in the air with pride and justice.
The boys drop him on the floor. He looks at me and hes in tears.
“Spencer, my little girl,” says dad.
“Dont call me that, have you been eating people dad?” I ask with tears in my eyes and shaky hands.
“I don't know what to say. I am so sorry Spencer, I couldn't survive without doing that,” he says.
“Shut up.”
“Well this has been fun and all. Good job with a family reunion by the way. It was a splendid thing to watch, but now you have to hold your end of the bargain. Give me the boy,” says the british while giving me a slime smile.
“No I am good.”
“What did you just say to me. You better give him to me Spencer before I kill you and the rest of your family,” he says while pointing at me angrily.
I take the bow back and let it go. It hits my father. I hears Tony screaming behind me, but I dont care. He was the worst father ever.
When me and Tony were kids life sucked for us. Dad would come home every night drunk and mad all the time. We would just got to our rooms and ignore him so we wouldn't get hurt by him. But as the years went by and things got worse with his drinking I got more and more scared. When I got in my teenage years Tony stated to get abused by him and me as well. Mom would try to make him stop, but he wouldn't. Then when the disease broke out he disappeared and we were very grateful since he destroyed our lives. The only thing I hated was losing mom. She was a role model to me. The only thing I wished from her was to help the thing with dad.
I then shot the rest of the cannibals and yelled to Tony “Help me and shoot the rest of them.”
He did they all feel down like the first time. This was the second time I had saved
Winter and I don't know why I keep doing it. I didn't shoot the british boy. I had to keep him as a hostage for the better.
“Wow I am truly impressed with your strength and skill Spencer. You really are the hero of this group you have here,” he says with a smirk.  
“Thank you its a pleasure to be the hero in this particular case,” I say while I bow and do a little cusey.
I go over to him and tie his hands together with rope I found while me and Tony were making the trip here.
“Guys we can't got today, I mean its too late to start moving now so I think we should stay here for the night.”
“Okay,” they both say at the same time.
“Now one of you bring him upstairs and tie him up so he can't escape.”
I go up to dads office and lay down on the ground. The scene when I killed dad is still playing over and over in my head. I am still shocked that I did that, but after all the pain he caused me and tony he deserved it. At the same time though no one deserves to die so its hard to see if the thing I did was wrong or right. I hear someone sit next to me and I turn around and see Winter.
He doesn't say anything. He only looks outside the window and doesn't say a word. I don't dare to speak because I dont want to ruin the moment of silence. My stomach hurts so much right now. I haven't still ate or drank anything and my throat is burning from nothing to sooth it.
Then he finally speaks “Thanks for saving me back there, again. I wanted to ask though were you really going to turn me in back there to the flesh eating human animals?”
I look at him and say “No.” I knew I was lying though. I couldn't tell him the truth because it would crush him and his trust towards me as a friend.
“Okay well thats good to here, I just thought you would hurt me, but I'm glad your telling the truth.”
After he says that, the guilt from my father and from him all start to reach my heart. Its unbearable to hold in, but I have to so I don't hurt anyone else in my life. Its already hard enough with my lack trust issues towards people so…
“I think we should go check on  the britsh little gothic cannibal before he tries to rip Tony’s face off,” I say sending a smile in his direction.
I then do something I would never imagine I would do. I go over to him and hug him and cry. I cry about killing my father and about lying. I know it sounds like I cry alot, but thats not its just that their is no other way to let the pain out. I can't take a breath or count to 10. The only way is to cry.
After about ten minutes I stop crying and look Winter in the eyes.
“Sorry for crying, Um lets go check on the shredder,” I say and walk away.
“Spencer, Spencer,” he says behind me and then grabs my arm and turns me to face him.
“Its okay to let your pain out. Theirs nothing wrong with that. Everyone has to do that once in a while,” he says and then give me a smile.
“I know I just can't handle myself breaking down,” I said with a tear in my eye that in a matter of seconds could fall off my eye.
“ Hey lets go,” he says and then grabs my arm to lead the way. 

-Winters Perspective- 
When we got into the room where the random caniable british boy was tied up, I saw Tony in the corner and was asleep. There was no boy their, only piles of ropes on the ground. When I went over to Tony I almost screamed.
“Spencer could you go get a gun?” I ask with a nervous voice.
I knew the boy was lurking around here and Tony was dead because of him.
“Spencer Tony s been stabbed and he's dead because of the boy. He's lurking around here somewhere and we need to escape,” I say scared and in a hurry. 
“Okay,” she says and by the tone of her voice I knew she was on the verge of tears.
When I turn back to Tony I see that theirs a huge knife in his stomach and his blood dripping from the wound to the floor.
“Tony, Tony,” I whisper while shaking him, but there was no life in his eyes. He was cold as ice and pale.
Then in the distance I hear a scream and by the sound of it I knew it was Spencer s.
I pull the knife out of Tony and follow the screams and then I see her.
His arm was wrapped around her neck and a gun was aimed to her head. She had tears in her eyes and was looking at me with the most frightened face I have ever seen in my entire life.
“Let her go you little british punk,” I say with a growl.
“Oh should I, well if I remember clearly she didn't go through my deal and I said if she didn't she would die and the rest of you too.”
I look at him in disgust. In a matter of seconds she would either live or die.

-Spencers Perspective-
I am still in shock from the news of my brothers death. How could he die. I can't cry I can only stay in shock and I don't know why. I go over to my bag when I feel someone's presence behind me so I turn around and no one was their. I would have thought it would have been Winter. I then hear a creek so I turn around and then I see the boy looking at me with hunger and rage. At that moment I knew I was going to die, but I scream. He chases after me and puts his arms round my neck and my vision starts to go blurry and my head starts to hurt. He was choking me and my body starts to go numb. Then I hear someone coming to the room and I see Winter. Tears start to form in my eyes because the thing I know is that in that moment I will die. Theres nothing that Winter can do. Theres nothing that my future hasn't already decided for me, but if its dieing then so be it. I then could see my brother and mother again and spend the rest of my days with them. 
I then fall to the ground and hear Winter calling my name. I can't respond, its like my throat cant speak anymore. I say the words, but they don't come out. I feel my body being carried up and  I look behind him and see the boy on the ground and then everything goes black.

I wake up to a dizzy head and a dry throat. My stomach feels like it can eat itself and my hands are rough. I get up and I put my hand to my head. It hurts so bad that its bounding against my skull. I turn and I see where still in dads office. The whole night before I don't remember a thing. Its like my whole memory is a black hole which can not be brought back with the slightest input. I turn to see Winter sleeping in a chair a few feet away from me. I get up and then fall, waking him up.
“You okay?” he asks while rushing over to me and grabs one of my arms to pull me up.
“Yeah I’m fine, my head hurts though and I don't remember what happened last night,” I said holding my hand to my head.  
“Here sit down I have something important to tell you,” Winter said with a serious tone.
“What is it Winter?”
“Tonys dead, he died from that boy that we tied up. We went to go check up on him and we found him with a knife in his stomach. You went to go find a weapon and I heard you scream and I went to go check on you. I saw his arm wrapped around you neck and I threw a knife to her face and he died. Luckily I came just in time because if I didn't you would be dead,” he says with his hands clasped together .
I sit there in silence and don't talk because I knew it was all my fault. I knew I was the one who got my brother killed. I was the one who brought the boy in and told Tony to watch over him.
“Its all my fault that he's dead,” I say.
“No its not,” Winter says with concerned look and comes over to sit next to me and gives me a hug.
“We need to start walking or else were going to die here and I really want to die somewhere that's important,” I said and got up and picked up our stuff. I quickly started painting and talking with short responses. What is their to tell him. That I am upset because he's seen me cry enough and I can't deal with the pain and heartbreak anymore.
“Lets go,” I said and then rushed outside without any acknowledgment on how he feels that I'm walking out so fast. 
“You dont have to hide the pain from me Spencer, I know you are very upset about Tony and its okay to admit that,” he says.
But before I can respond to his sympathy and compassion towards me, I feel something drop on my head. I look up and so does Winter. It was raining, it was raining. I put my tongue out as it starts to shower water and drink it. My tongue is not dry anymore for the first time. I turn to look at Winter and smile and for the first time I knew we had a chance of making it. I knew that hope was not all lost.