Camp Survival | Teen Ink

Camp Survival

By scorp1357, Kihei, Hawaii
scorp1357, Kihei, Hawaii

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

This story may seem a little cliché-- a story about a group of friends taking a trip together where one courageous and idiotic friend wants to make an already dangerous trip even more than it already is, but I promise, the plot of this story is a little less cliché that it first appears. Sure, there is that person that gets the entire group to stop listening to reason. And that person does get seriously hurt on this “adventure.” In fact, it’s the one idiot friend that dies first.. I know, I know… This still sounds like a cliché movie story line.  You’ll just have to trust me that this guy has some sort of reasoning that allows the friends to all learn a few life lessons while satisfying their sense of adventure., This is the story of 3 friends in the Southern Highlands.
         Jack Parkson was not really your typical high school jock who walked around talking all big and making everyone either drool over him or want to be just like him. He was the type of person that would hang out with the popular kids but he never cruelly judged or hurt people like popular kids sometimes do. Overall, he was a good and kind person.
Jenny Oliver, was straight-A student who wanted to get into a top university and live a successful life. She WAS the typical high-strung know-it-all who always had an attitude when correcting someone and thought that she was better than everyone. But soon she came to learn that there is always someone better then you.
         Jake Deer. If you’re sitting there telling yourself that this guy is a hunter because of his name, then you are absolutely wrong but right at the same time (how is it possible to be right and wrong about this at the same time?). His family has owned a business where they hunted animals of all kind including deer.  But after Jake graduated high school (with flying colors) he decided he needed to take a break from hunting so he could go off and explore the world. He was that kid who always thought that the “grass was always greener” everywhere but where he was standing.  He would soon learn that not everything is  as green as it might seem.
Anyway, these three high school friends grew even closer after high school. As they set off to learn and experience a little adventure together, they soon discovered what the textbooks could never teach them. But don’t think you already have the story figured, this is just the beginning.
The three friends stayed together as they went off to college and were fortunate enough to be in the same advanced culture class. The class requires the students of the class to travel and study different cultures from around the world. Also obtaining an item of proof that show that they have completed the assignment. As they entered the classroom they looked around and saw that there were hardly a handful of people in the class. Obviously this meant that this class was extremely exclusive and was a great privilege for those who were accepted into the class.
         The professor of the class explained everything to what people were in the class and what the class required in order to pass. He also explained that anyone who fails to abide by the class regulations and complete the given assignments will be dropped from the class. This put a little bit of pressure on the friends but they were prepared for the class, but later they will regret ever taking the class.
         The professor told them that for their first assignment that they would have to divide into small groups and well the professor had an odd way of deciding where to go. He would have one person in the group come up and toss a dart onto a giant world map blindfolded. This was so the groups would have a bit of a surprise when it came to their assignment or at least the destination. Jake was the one that was chosen to go up and throw the dart for him and his friends.
         He threw the dart and it landed near Papua New Guinea, a country east of Indonesia and north of Australia. The layout of the land is more of a giant tropical forest with a tough terrain of mountains in the middle. So going through this type of terrain without a little research and maps of trails that tourist would take would result in getting lost and most likely not being able to return without luck. There is also a number of tribes within the forest that some tourist have had the pleasure of seeing and respecting their space by leaving them be.
         After taking a few weeks to research the area that the group of friends would be venturing into for an assignment to pass for the first quarter grade of the class. Soon they would be off to Papua New Guinea, on the first flight out. They’ve made some preparations in order to get themselves started as soon as they landed. Each of them had a list of what to get for their assignment, obviously proper clothing for the forest, hiking shoes, waterproof bag, cantina’s, compasses, and so on and so forth.
         The task that they were given is to start from the tourist area and see how the culture changed. So they did what they were assigned and also had a little fun and looked around the area as tourist. Then after a few days of research in the area where the culture and the area around them is much different than what they have previously learned.
What they learned was that early in the 16th century it was accidentally discovered by a Spanish explorer named Don Jorge de Meneses. Also learning that before it was colonized that the inhabitants of Papua New Guinea still traded across the island chains. Even though they were primitive they still had the ability to craft their own tools and had a agricultural system. According to the history they used bones, rocks, and wood to craft everything. So after learning and then seeing how much changed after, they decided to venture in the forest and explore the area as thoroughly as they could.
They prepped for their journey into the forest and were prepared for a 3 days trip. Grabbing all the essentials that was needed such as; water, clothes, hiking equipment, first aid kits, and multiple other items that would help them with their journey. They had two different types of maps, one that showed the layout of the forest with a satellite eye view and another with the terrain that shown steep hills and such. They also had a compass so that they could read the maps correctly, so that they wouldn’t get lost.
They had a plan on where to go and all agreed that they would stay on the path and only go off the path if the situation called for it. Taking a well-known path so that if they needed help on where to go they could stop someone and ask where to go on the map. It was a good idea, but as they ventured onto the path, they noticed that they haven’t seen a single person for the past two hours. Jenny and Jack were starting to get a little concerned, but Jake ensured them that everything was fine and that it’s a very long trail and they’ll be sure to find someone soon.
As they continued on the trail they noticed some clouds moving in fast over the mountains and they still haven’t seen anyone on the trail, by now it’s been four hours. What they didn’t know was they there was a weather report about heavy rain that was about to occur later that day. They were all too excited to notice it on the news or to bother looking to be sure that they would have a safe trip. As they continued on the trail they noticed a few rain drops hit them and then a few minutes after the rain started to pour harder and harder. By now they have already passed one of the streams and the small streamed turned to a flash flood zone and was too dangerous to cross.
Even though they didn’t know about the rain they still prepared for it, since they are in a rain forest. As they moved forward on the trail, the terrain got rough and harder to walk on so they looked for a place to set up shelter for the night. They only had time to pitch up one tent since the rain was getting harder and the wind was starting to pick up. As Jenny and Jake went to sleep to the sounds of the rain, Jack had this weird feeling that someone was watching them and couldn’t get any sleep that night.
The next day the rain stopped and it was very humid to point where it rose the temperature from 78 degrees to 103. While they were packing up to continue their journey, Jack still couldn’t shake the feeling that they were being watched. The day before he had read an article about people disappearing on the very trail that they were on, but at first he figured that they all got lost and couldn’t find their way back. But he also remembered that there is a tribe nearby called the Hui tribe and they have had a tradition of cannibalism, and was concerned for him and his friends.
Later that day his imagination has come to fruition, and saw someone who looked similar to the picture that he saw on the internet of the Hui tribe. All the tribe member did was stare at them, not making a sound or moving an inch. Concerned about themselves they decided to try and ignore him and keep moving, but they looked ahead on the trail and saw two more. After that they were really concerned about their safety, considering the fact that the two ahead of them had spears. Not making eye contact since they were afraid of angering them, they slowly turned around and were about to walk back to where they came from. Before they could turn around they were rushed by more of the tribe members and had spears at their throats. They were taken through the woods and eventually ended up in the middle of the tribes camp.
Blindfolded, hands tied behind their backs, and not knowing what’s ahead of them, they’re all terrified for what is to come when they stop at the destination. A few hours went by and they still have no idea on where they’re going and were unable to speak to each other. Jack tried to communicate once and ended up with the blunt end of the spear to his ribs, having breaking one in the process. After a long terrifying journey they finally arrive at the destination in which the tribe members have taken them. It was their village with men, women, and children staring at them just like the ones who captured them looked like. It was the eyes, the eyes of survivors who would do anything, absolutely anything to survive.
They looked at the tribe, the tattoos, the paint and the color pattern that they followed. Jack was able to identify the tribe because he read a few books on any tribes that could be nearby on the trail that would be interesting to try and observe from a distance. They were called the Hui tribe, a tribe that has been on the islands for many generations before the Spanish colonized it. What Jack also remembers is that they know how to ration what they have and also have great hunting skills for the animals that are close in the area. Another great key fact that he remembers as they are put into a small hut and tied to a pole, is that they had a history of practicing cannibalism.
Jenny, Jake, and Jack all had the look of hopelessness in their eyes, knowing that they were about to die a horrible death and them be consumed by the tribe. But Jenny flinches as she remembers that she has a pocket knife in her pocket in case that she need to cut small branches. It may not be a branch, but the rope will much easier to cut. As she informs Jack and Jake, a spark of hope ignites and they were able to free themselves from their bindings. But there was just one more crucial step that they have to accomplish to fully escape, they must escape the village and find their way back to civilization.
Jake slowly peeks out of the hut to see if there is a way for them to escape without being noticed, sadly he couldn’t see one that went straight through the camp. Although they didn’t necessarily need to go through the camp, the just needed to try and escape it. Jack takes the blade from Jenney and quietly tries to cut a hole from the back of the hut as Jake acts as the lookout. Jack cuts a hole big enough for them to slip through, and to not be noticed right away when they find out that they’re gone. They leave one by one and quietly exit into the forest.
They look up at the sky and see that it’s still daylight and that they must hurry and try to find their supplies to make it back to the town safely. Using what they cold to try and retrace their steps, they try to get back to the trail. Unfortunately they haven’t made any progress, and they have to be quick before it gets dark, and even worse before the village realizes they’re gone and go looking for them. As they look up at the sun and judge the placement of the sun, they take a guess and say there’s only five hours of daylight left. They decided to take a different approach and look at the forest from the high ground.
Jenny is best at climbing trees, so she climbs up and tries to look for any landmarks that they could recognize from the trail. She thinks she see’s something familiar and climbs down to head in that direction. Excited that they might finally be getting out of the forest and back to the town for help, they rush in the direction without a second thought. Although they were rushing a little fast and didn’t see the pencil viper. This particular type of snake is very thin and can grow at a length of four feet. It’s also quite poisonous. Not being able to see it, Jake pushes the vine it was on and was bitten. The bite was extremely painful and he yelled as he glanced at what bit him.
Knowing what kind of snake it was considering that he was a huge geek about snakes and also researched about what snakes were out in Papua New Guinea. So that they could easily identify them and stay away from the dangerous ones. The venom is lethal, but takes about three hours to kill a man. As Jake explained everything as fast as he could without panicking, his friends then realize that now they’re on a time limit. In the distance, the villagers hear the scream and look in the tent to find that they’re gone. They don’t know it yet, but they’ll soon be on the run.
As they try to make it to the trail, Jakes condition worsens and he’s unable to walk and takes even more rest. With only an hour left before it’s too late to treat him, Jack decides to carry him on his back since they’re close to where they need to be. In the distance they can hear yelling, and screaming. Once they realize that the tribe has realized that the tribe has finally realized that they’re on to them, Jake decides to make a quick a decision. He tells them to leave him and puts into factor that even if they got to the trail, there wouldn’t be enough time to get to the town. Having to face a tough decision, they can’t deny the facts they just have to face them and accept his last wish.
Leaving him against a tree with tears in their eyes, they leave and hurry to the trail before the hunters from the tribe catch up to them. About a half an hour after they left, one of the tribal members is face to face with Jake, and watches as he dies. While one stays behind to watch Jake pass, the others follow the tracks left behind by Jenny and Jack. They quickly follow and are soon behind them. One of the members throws a spear and misses, once that happens Jenny looks behind and sees them running towards them screaming and yelling. They manage to get on the trail but Jack is wounded by another spear that was thrown, being nicked below the ribs. He drops for s second due to the pain, and quickly gets up from the help of Jenny.
They both run down the trail hoping to find someone to help them, and to get back to the town quickly. As it gets darker, it gets harder to see where they’re going. Still running from the tribe members they manage to get back to their supplies, so now they know that they’re not far. Quickly they grab flashlights and a flare to signal for help and to see where they’re going, but they took a little too long. Another spear was thrown and impaled Jack in the leg, making him unable to run. Knowing that he would only slow her down, he handed Jenny the flare and grabbed the blade from his pocket wanting to try and gout fighting.
As she runs for her life, she hears the deathly screams of her friend and runs with tears in her eyes. Its pitch black and the only thing lighting her way is a flashlight, she can’t hear anyone behind her, so she quickly turns around and shines the light to make sure they stopped following her. She sees no one following her and takes the time to catch her breath, as she continues to walk down the path with sorrow. In the distance she can see lights, coming from the town and is filled with hope that it’s all finally over. She reaches into her pocket to grab the flare and light it, and as she pulls out the flare her mouth is smothered and she’s stabbed through the lung. She then realizes that they would do anything to get their prey and that it was helpless from the beginning.
The story of these three friends is over forever, and hopefully this is a lesson about how life works most of the time. Not everything goes to plan and even though you think you know what’s happening, life can just stab you right in the back. These three had to learn that lesson the hard way with the cost of their lives.

The end