The Locket Under the Sea | Teen Ink

The Locket Under the Sea

By Christie1997 BRONZE, Vancouver, Other
Christie1997 BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

I think, therefore I am

Author's note: I have quite a story to tell.

The dazzling sun shines bright on the dark blue Atlantic sea; the surf rolls up and down like a playful kid while the surface of the sea flares like sparkling silk. As the sea and the sky seem to blend on the horizon, the white canvas of the sails float like white feathers. Diving into the sea, Emma feels the tingle of cold water envelope her but there is an inexplicable force in the deep sea that intrigues Emma to keep swimming downwards. Relying for direction on the sprinkling of the sun light, Emma glimpses a strange shape below her. Between the fronds of the seaweed and the cloudy moss-filled water, she spots an early 19th century vessel lying on its side and a mysterious box partially buried in the sand. Somehow she is drawn to the ancient box; she digs it out with two large clam shells and pries it open. After scavenging through the abandoned box, she discovers a beautiful silver locket that has a name printed in it.
It was her name: Emma Butler!
While she is disturbed and confused by the discovery of her name, she is also aware of the swirling water forming to a whirlpool around her. She is being drawn away unconsciously toward a strong light from above.
Emma does not know how much time has passed when she finally hears a anxious voice calling her from a distance. “Miss Emma, Miss Emma, are you okay?” Emma struggles to open her eyes as the sun is filling the room from the casement windows, just as she catches sight of the woman who is talking to her. At first she observes the woman’s clothes, a plain gray dress with a white collar and a white cotton cap trimmed with lace.
Emma thinks to herself: this lady is wearing such an old fashioned style of clothes and a cap. Maybe she is a maid, but why does she wear that? And in this room, all the furniture is heavily carved dark wood that blends perfectly with the creamy fabric decor.
After a few moments of silence, the maid and Emma start talking simultaneously and surprise each other with their questions.
“Where am I?” Emma asks nervously.
“Should I go get your mother?”
The woman seems to be shocked by Emma’s confusion and begins to explain her situation patiently.
“Miss Emma, you were found on the beach by the lighthouse keeper. You were unconscious and maybe you had been pulled into the ocean by the strong tide at night. The lighthouse keeper was a man with a good heart; he did not want anything in return. Just you rest now. I will let you know when your mother gets back home from the town.”
Even though there are thousand of questions in Emma’s mind, she decides to wait until her mom comes back and hopefully everything will be alright after then. Emma surveys the room in the soft light of early evening and relaxes while she rearranges her ideas in her mind until she falls asleep again.
As the shadows lengthen and the wind blows gently against the window pane, Emma imagines someone stroking her cheek and she rouses herself to find a strange woman sitting on her bed. Irritated she exclaims, “who are you? Why are you in my room?” She withdraws quickly to the corner of the bed.
The woman recoils and reacts by weeping: “I am your mother, Emma. Oh my poor child, you are distraught by the accident. Everything will be well soon and...”
“I am not your daughter! you better tell me where I am and let me call my mom. Stop playing this costume game before you are arrested for kidnapping.”
At this point, the woman collapses in a nervous heap, and yells accusingly to Emma, “How dare you talk to your mother in this way, I will have a talk with your etiquette tutor tomorrow, I have never heard such effrontery.” As she leaves the room she slams the door and walks slowly upstairs calling for her servant to attend her.
After the sound of the woman’s steps slowly fade away, Emma walks quietly toward the door on her tiptoes. Breathing deeply in and out; she puts her hand on to the silver knob of the door and turns it.
The door is locked.
“God knows what is going on.” Emma roars in her minds, and glimpses through a gap in between the curtains. The area seems unfamiliar, there are no cars and there is no one even on the street, only a few houses. Under the window is a big garden that features many colors of roses and a water fountain in the center of the gorgeous garden. Emma is almost intrigued by the beautiful sight until she realizes her predicament. This place is very strange, but there must be some clues in the room showing where this town is located. Emma draws the curtain and settles on the armchair in front of the dark wood table that has piles of paper and books on it. She scans through the books and a book that entitled “Emma ‘s Diary” catches Emma’s attention. Opening up the first page, she is surprised to see her name printed on the right corner of the bottom of the page.
Things become stranger as she flips through the pages randomly.

1823, July 1st : the entry reads:
Mom told me that it is time for me to a good husband, but I did not tell her what I really believed.. I have always wanted to find my own love like the story books.
1823, July 29th : another entry reads:
Our family is broken, and as the oldest girl I have to marry a rich person to keep my younger sisters and brother in school... What can I do?
1823, August 6th:
I met the Harrison family today and their son Simon does not believe that women should receive any education except sewing and music. He also thinks novels are a waste of time and corrupting for young ladies. What kind of future will I have with him?
1823, August 7th :
I need to take a walk and get some fresh air.
“This must be a joke or a reality show! All those reality show directors are so desperate! They might actually be filming me right now and laughing at my silly reactions.”
Emma examines the room closely in an effort to find the hidden camera.
“But, what if all of this is actually real?” Emma says to herself while all these questions starts to make her head hurt. Someone knocked gently at the door; “Miss Emma, this is Elise and I am just here to help you to get to bed.” Emma becomes troubled but she thinks this is the only way to figure out what is really going on. So she agrees.
“Elise?” Emma asks pensively.
“Yes, Miss. ”
“What day is today?” Emma tries to slow down her voice to pretend to be relaxed.
“It is August the 8th, 1823, you have been sleeping for a day , Miss.”
Even before Emma asks another question, Elise has already finished braiding her hair and blows out the candle.
As Emma remembers the locket that she picked up in the water, and how she saw her name inside, but now she could not remember anything after that. What if she really did time travel to the 19th century, Emma muses on that possibility. Then she sidles to the table and finds every book that has Emma’s Diary writing on the side.
There are five diary books and Emma relights the candle. After Emma finishes reading the entire five books, the early sun has filtered its light in through gap between the curtains. Emma moves to the window to get some fresh air and sees the vivid orange sun rising slowly from the horizon. When Emma turns back from the window, she rearranges all the information she got from reading the diaries. She notes the following points on a separate paper:
1.I have time traveled to the 19th century.
2.I am the oldest daughter of a wealthy family in this town, but they are currently broke.
3.I am going to marry the son of a military family that will be able to support my family.
4.My future husband is an ignorant man.
Emma almost bursts into tears, because she has come to this strange place and is marrying a someone she detests in two months. Emma is determined to prove that she is from the future. “But I have to stop this marriage from happening first. Now think Emma! this might be your only way to escape from this situation. I shall think of some history moments that happened right after 1823. There must be something. The Great Reform Act! Right, if I can prove that to them, they will believe me.” Emma thinks excitedly.
After Elise dresses Emma in the proper style, Emma is told to meet with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Butler down stairs. As she finally walks down the stairs, she sees Mr. and Mrs. Butler sitting formally on two green painted chairs and holding delicate China tea cups in their hands.
Emma immediately launches into serious discussion : “Look, Mr. and Mrs. Butler, I think there has been some confusion. First of all, I am not your daughter, Emma Butler, because I come from the future, 2014, Second...”
Without even letting her finish, Mrs. Butler stops Emma.
“Stop being absurd, I know you are unhappy about the marriage, but this is not going to work. Elise, please take Miss Emma to her room” Mrs. Butler shakes her head disbelievingly.
“I am not!” Emma starts yelling. “Look! I can prove it to you!”
“Take her upstairs,” Ms. Butler demands
Firmly her father interrupts“Let her finish!”
“The Great Reform Act is going to be passed and the middle class will have the right to vote. If this is going to happen then will you believe me. I learned this from my history class in the future.”
The door bell rings at that awkward moment, it was a messenger from the town. In the hallway, the messenger whispers to Mr. Butler whose face turns pale. Then Mr Butler orders Elise to bring Emma upstairs and she was forced to remain in her locked room. Mr Butler leads his wife into the study, and says quietly: “Emma was right. The Act was just being passed in parliament earlier today.”
“Harry, do you really believe she is from the future!” Mrs Butler answers shrilly.
“No, I think she was tricked by evil spirits from the ocean, but don’t worry I will try to find a potion that will help her regain her sanity.”
Two weeks have passed and Emma has not been allowed to step outside of her room. Her food and hot water are being delivered by Elise. Emma knows the date of her marriage is getting closer and closer. If she does not find a way of escaping, she might lose the chance of going to the future.
“Elise, Elise,” Emma calls anxiously,
“Yes, Miss Emma.” Elise runs up the stairs and uses her key to open the door.
“Tell my mom, I will marry Mr Harrison. My mind was perturbed last week”
Elise can’t believe what she hears and she freezes. But soon after she runs downstairs to inform Mrs. Butler of the good news. Elise did not think to close the door. Emma knows this is the only time to escape, she dashes down the polished stairs and into the woods behind the house. The fresh air blows on Emma face emphasizing her sense of freedom. Nevertheless, Emma knows that Ms Butler will soon discover her absence and her time is very limited before she is missed. Running with the long dress is not easy as the fabric snags on the forest floor but Emma tries her best. Finally, she can hear the sound of the waves and smells the salty sea air. But at the same time, she can hear the sound of horses hooves pounding on the path behind her.
After she emerges on to the sea shore, she can see the dark blue sea right in front of her, but there is nowhere to hide. Emma runs along the edge of the sea and she can feel the water splashing on her legs. Then she hears someone calling, “Miss, Miss, it is very dangerous to be that near to the water.” A man who she barely recognized is following her and he persists in trying to help
Emma asks, “Do you have a place for me to hide?” “This way,” the man says as he grabs Emma’s hand and runs with her. Emma feels she knows this person; his hand is so warm. Emma is unaware how long they have been running until she sees the lighthouse on the rocks. Immediately they head for the stairs leading to the light house door.
“I am Emma Butler. you found me on the beach the other day?”
“I’m Hugh White, I am the light house keeper; you seem very scared, who are you running away from?”Hugh smiles nervously as he trembled slightly as reach out and took Emma’s hand.
“I was running away from my family. I know that probably sounds absurd for you but I just can not yield to my family plan without resistance. I have to marry someone I barely know and he is such an ignorant person who thinks girls should not read novels. I think people should have the right to find their own love and path in life.” Emma does not know what compelled her to tell Hugh her hopeless marriage arrangement; maybe it was the warmth of his hand, or the sincerity that light in his blue eyes. Truly, Emma has already start to regard Hugh as her close friend.

Hugh looks askance, “ That’s very absurd for a young lady like you to say, but I agree with you. I think women should not be confined to kitchen instead they should have more opportunities and choices in front of them.”Hugh studies Emma’s firm look and starts to view Emma with a different aspect: She is so fragile yet so brave; that’s all because of her impressive character of questioning her arranged marriage even with risk. Now, Emma has become a girl that Hugh admires for her courage.
“I cannot believe you actually agree with me; you are like people from my time!” Emma’s charming voice interrupts Hugh’s myriad of thoughts. 
“Your time?” Emma’s word surprised and confused Hugh. 
“No, don’t worry about that. Do you have dreams that you want to accomplish?” Emma worries that she brought up the subject; she blushes.
“I want to go out and see the world. There are so many adventures outside and I cannot believe that I am a prisoner in this lighthouse.” Hugh, with his strong faith, knows this time he has enough courage to explore the world. 
Hugh’s dad was the lighthouse keeper for his entire life; as Hugh grows up, he inherits this job from his dad. Every time when he stands inside the lighthouse, he would peer at the blue sea intrigued by the broadness and mystery of the sea and the distant horizon. He has always wanted to explore the outside world, however whenever he contemplates leaving, he is never able to move from this place that he has lived for his entire life. He is also afraid of the unpredictability of the globe. But now after talking to Emma, Hugh seems to know what he will do.  
“Then go out and see the world; you should always follow your dreams. You know if you travel to the east, you can visit the Great Wall of China, one of the greatest wonders of the world. Just like a gigantic dragon, the Great Wall winds up and down across deserts, grassland, mountains stretching from the east to west of China. In Egypt, as you traverse the desert, you can feel the warmth of the sand beneath your feet; while the sunsets, the sky turns itself into beautiful shades of red and gold. Also, in Africa, no one can deny the pure gorgeousness of the animals, the beautiful sunsets and sunrises, and the lush green landscape during the rainy season; it is even difficult for anyone to adequately describe it because of the emotions it invokes. The amazing wonder of the natural world and incredible feats of man comprise a rich panoply of life that has to be experienced to make life complete.”
They were conversing closely for so long that it has grown dark and he has to light the lamp, but as the light illuminates their faces, their most intimate thoughts retreat . 
In the next week, Hugh brings Emma to different places in the countryside and sea shore. They explore caves, ride horses along the beach, or sometimes they just allow their thoughts and hopes to guide their conversations with each other. Emma tells Hugh more stories about travels in Africa, Asia, and America. All the world is formed into vivid pictures that fascinate Hugh and excite a desire to explore. Little by little, Emma starts to regard Hugh as her best friend; even living in this century seems to be not that bad.  However, the time to say goodbye finally arrives. One afternoon, Hugh has gone to the town for supplies for than five hours. Above the horizon, the sun hung low and the sky was alive with long streaks of  red and gold. The colors in the sky shine, flash, and the golden sunlight fades and faints. The night grows late and there was almost no sound except the sound of the waves washing against the rocks.
Emma is concerned so she searches the shore with the telescope on Hugh’s desk. Suddenly, she is horrified to spy Hugh being beaten up by ruffians and Elise is standing right beside them. Emma knows Hugh is in trouble and the only way to help is to intervene and offer herself as hostage to go with Elise.
“Elise, stop the men beating him, I will go with you.” Emma says firmly as a faint smile flickered across her pale lips. Suddenly, Emma has let go all of her desire to change the situation and decides to accept her fate. Emma knows that Hugh will be harshly punished by her family if Emma runs away again. Indeed, sometimes people have to acknowledge that they can not change the future and that the failure or success is beyond their control.
After a short ride in the carriage, Emma is once more locked in her room contemplating her fate. It was almost mid night when she hears the sound of small stones hitting her window. As she opens the window, she sees Hugh standing below in the rose garden.

“Emma, I can not let you sacrifice yourself for my sake. You are so different from everyone else and you deserve better.”
“Hugh you can not run away with you again. They will capture us in the end anyways. Please save yourself.”
“Emma, I love you.”
Emma’s heart is pounding quickly and without thinking much she climbs out of her window and down the ivy branches.
Hugh lifts her on to the horse and they ride hastily to the beach. They lie down on the sand gazing at the stars. Emma breaks the silence.
“Hugh, I am from the future, a different world. I can not go back with you.”
Then for the whole night both of them remained silent.
As the sun rises again from the sea, Hugh says determinedly: “Emma, I think I can help you to find your way back to your time, as I remember my grand mother told me that on the day of a total eclipse of the moon people can travel in time.”
“Yes! That’s right! I remember my dad telling me that there was a total eclipse of the moon and that was why I went down to the sea shore.”
“I know how to calculate the next eclipse and perhaps you will be able to return to your time.” Even though Hugh loves Emma and does not want her to leave him for ever, Hugh knows how much Emma’s family in the future means to her. Sometimes if you love someone deeply, then let her go.

Then hours pass by and suddenly Hugh says: “I got it, it is half an hour from now.” He hugs Emma tightly and stares intently into her face as he confides how he will miss her and be thinking of her.
The light of the moon starts to shift as the water in the ocean forms in to a whirlpool. Emma kisses Hugh on the forehead and walks gingerly in to the water. Then everything stops again as she is in a strange dimension. But, Emma hears her mother calling her name and she is aware of a bright light shining in her face as she gains consciousness. Words can not describe Her feeling anymore as she is flooded with relief to be back in her own time. Emma hugs her mom tightly and says; “I have quite a story to tell.”