Scaredy-Cat | Teen Ink

Scaredy-Cat

By ChristianCapers PLATINUM, Dublin, Ohio
ChristianCapers PLATINUM, Dublin, Ohio

I don't get embarrassed, I embarrass.

Author's note: I love scary stories! I thought you might too.

If you have questions, all will be explained in the Index!

Read the stories and it will make you doubt if anyone is really who you think.

Dax

Even though I’m grown and I have my own job and a wife, I still can’t get that night years ago out of my head. That particular night was one of the scariest moments of my entire life. Worse than the time I heard footsteps in my basement. Worse than the time I watched Nightmare on Elm Street, even though it was rated R and I was under age.
It has been thirteen years and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get over what happened to me that night…
My parents decided that they needed a break from me and my older brother Dax, who was seventeen-years-old back then. So they went to the movies, leaving him in charge.
It started out easy enough. Dax gave me some ice cream in a bowl and told me I could watch Spongebob Squarepants in the living room while I ate. At first, I found this a little strange, as my older brother wasn’t exactly the nicest or most laidback person in the house. As a matter of fact, if I so much as asked him for anything, he would say, “Make it yourself, punk.” But I wasn’t about to question his authority. Maybe he had a good day at school or something.
Around eleven p.m., when I was still watching TV because Dax let me stay up late, is when I heard the worst sound in the world. It sounded like something with long nails was slowly scratching and scraping at our window.
Terrified because the sofa was right next to it, I flattened myself on the carpeted floor so whatever was out there could not see me inside.
Dax, who was at the kitchen table, just stared at me like I had two heads. You would have expected him to draw the blinds or lie on top of me or do something to protect me, but he had his brows crinkled as if he were completely and utterly confused.
Then, the pounding on the door came. It wasn’t just knocking, mind you, but loud, persistent, demanding. And, worst of all, I could hear soft giggling on the other side of the door.
I stood stock still, frozen in place on the ground. My older brother’s face also turned pale. We had been told time after time to not open the door for strangers, especially loud, persistent, demanding strangers.
However, I was worried that whoever or whatever was making that noise would break the door off its hinges. I was worried I would be the one in trouble.
So, taking a deep breath, I whipped open the front door and came face to face with my entire family, who was in hysterics.
“I can’t believe you fell for that!” my father hooted. “That was just a test to see if you would open the door.”
“And you failed,” my mother said. “But, not to worry. You’re only twelve. You’re entirely too young to be left home alone anyway.”
Home alone? My eyes widened and my heart stopped because in between my mother and father, laughing hysterically, was my older brother.
“You’re such a punk,” Dax said, tousling my hair. “You really had me worried.”
The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. I couldn’t stop shaking. Dax had been right here in this house with me the whole time. He’d spent the entire night in the kitchen, doing his homework. But how could this be?
Voices

The freshman had just finished studying for a huge exam the next day, it was late and he was dead tired. He fell into bed, freshly showered and head to toe in his favorite pajamas. He was a little happy that his roommate still had not returned from his frat party.

All of a sudden, the freshman heard two voices talking to each other outside of his room. He thought it was his roommate talking to his buddy outside, so he buried his head in his pillow, murmuring, “Please be quiet.”

The voices continued, but spoke in a whisper. They sounded angry.

“Dude,” he said. “Seriously, knock it off. I’ve got a 7:30 exam tomorrow.”

When the voices did not stop, he began to get irritated. “Cut it out!” he shouted. “You’re not being funny!”

“Shhh…” He heard a raspy voice hiss from the closet.

Frightened beyond belief, the shaking freshman slowly inched toward the closet when suddenly he felt two hands grab him and pull him in.

The boy was about to scream, but was stopped by a hand covering his mouth.

“Whatever you do, don’t scream,” his roommate whispered in his ear. In the dark, the freshman could make out a long scar slashed across his roommate’s face with fresh blood still dripping from it like an accusation. “And don’t let them know you can hear them.”

The Tale of Two Brothers

Bailey and his brother Lyndon were taking the subway. The next stop was in a town by the river, where Bailey was going to visit his girlfriend, but Lyndon was not going with him. He was only there to keep him company as they traveled.

The two brothers had been talking for hours to pass the time and the conversation kept taking many twists and turns. When Bailey had to take a bathroom break, Lyndon got out his horror novel and started reading. It was a juicy story full of plot twists and mysteries; he almost jumped out of his seat when Bailey came back and sat down across from him.
“What did I miss?” he asked.

“Oh nothing,” Lyndon said. “I was just reading. Hey, are you one of those people that believe that everyone, everyone in the entire world, has a double of himself?” The story he was reading was about evil twins, after all.

“Yeah,” Bailey said. “Absolutely. It only makes sense. What about you?”

“I don’t know, man. It just doesn’t seem…well…possible. I mean, think about it. Everyone in the world has their own distinct facial features. We weren’t made to look like somebody else, right?”

Bailey shrugged. “You could say that.”

A few moments later, the subway stopped off at the town by the river and Bailey said goodbye to his brother and got off.

Lyndon leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes for a bit. He was instantly awakened by someone walking up and sitting across from him.

Lyndon rubbed his eyes, trying to make out the person in front of him. He couldn’t believe it.

“So,” Bailey said. “What did I miss?”

Baby, it’s Cold Outside

My friend gathered her eight-year-old son and started to bundle him up with layers of hats and scarves before she’d send him outside to play.

“Baby, it’s cold outside,” she warned as she zipped up his coat. “We’d better dress warmly, you hear?”

“It’s even colder in Antarctica,” he said. “I’ve been there.”

The woman’s hands stilled on the zipper. “We’ve never been to Antarctica, honey.”

The boy rolled his eyes. “I keep telling you. I lived there when I was thirty two years old and then I fell in the water and drowned.”

When he went outside to play, I asked her about it, but she got really upset and kept trying to change the subject.

Home From School

“Dad?” I called like I always did, strolling into the house after school. He always got home early on Fridays to spend time with his only kid.

“Yes?” I heard from my room.
“What are you doing up there? Dad?”
“Yes?”
I rolled my eyes, chuckling. He was probably rooting through my closet, fussing about what a mess it was. Single parents didn’t have anything better to do, it seemed.

Even though I found it a little bizarre that he didn’t come running and give me a hug like he usually would, I climbed up the stairs. Upon reaching my room, I could hear movement inside.

I turned the knob and started to open the door. “Dad, you’re not going to find anyth—”
At that moment, the front door opened and a voice echoed downstairs.
“Hey, buster! Come greet your old man properly!”
I slowly turned, my heart pounding, and saw a wide-open eye staring at me from the crack my bedroom door made. It slammed shut and I ran downstairs, shrieking and crying for my dad to get us out of the house and call the police.
T.

I go to my Dad’s for the summer, and I have this friend—well, I had this friend—and we’ll just call him T. because I don’t want to give out his real name because…well, you know.

Well, there’s this one day I can’t get out of my head, so I might as well tell you guys.

T. and I used to hang out a lot, and I mean a lot. And this one day, he walks up to me when I’m chilling on my porch, you know, and he goes “Let’s go to the beach.” And he’s got this wide, this super-wide grin, you know? And he never smiles like that so I was like, “Well then. You must be excited.” Which was understandable, you know? ‘Cause the beach is totally awesome.

So I was like, “Yeah, okay, sure.” And he goes to change into his swim trunks and I go to change into my swim trunks, right? Yeah and so I’m waiting for him and it gets to be, like, two hours later. And I’m sitting there, thinking “Where the heck did he go?”

And when T. comes up to me, he’s not in his trunks. And I’m mad at this point. I’m like “What’s your problem?”

He goes, “What?”

And I say, “You know what. I thought we were going to go to the beach, like, two hours ago.”

And he gets really scared, you guys, and so I get really scared. He starts, like, trembling and crying and stuff saying that he never said we should go to the beach and as a matter of fact, he never even saw me that day until now.

And I’m like whoa, you know, ‘cause I didn’t know why he was crying and making such a huge scene out of it. But I’m still kinda mad—just a little—and I go, I’m like, “Dude, don’t insult my intelligence. I just saw you here and you said very specifically Let’s go to the beach.”

And he keeps trying to convince me not to go to the beach, that I shouldn’t go to the beach and I should just go home. And I was about ready to blow my stack, you know? I was just, like, fuming. Like “What is your deal? You know, why are you making fun of me?”

And T. gets really mad at me and he’s like “Just forget it. Don’t ever talk to me again, alright?”

And then he storms off and I’m like, dumbfounded. I’m like what the heck? First he’s all like Let’s go to the beach and next he’s like I never said that, don’t go.

So, I was just like whatever, so I go to the beach by myself and there’s this, like, this police tape everywhere and I hear from this random news lady chick that there was some huge shark attack near the shore and tons of people were killed and that the beach is closed for, like, just a few months. I was asking her, like, “When did it all happen” you know, like “When did it start?”

She was like “Two hours ago.”

Two hours ago. That was the time we were supposed to meet at the beach. Talk about weird.
I don’t know what happened with T. that day, but I owe him an apology and a huge thank you.

Full of time slips, portals to other dimensions and more, this chapter will baffle you and leave you scratching your head.

The Shower Room

The boy decided to use the empty shower room to bathe with his friend standing guard outside to see if anyone was coming in.
Wrapping the towel around his waist and shaking the water out of his hair, the boy started out of the shower when he almost smacked head first into someone else.

“Oh, sorry,” the boy said.

“It’s alright,” the other guy murmured and stalked out of the room, a dazed and confused look in his eye.

The boy thought it very odd that he had not heard the other guy come into the room, but assumed he came in when the water was running.

After changing into his clothes, the boy left the shower room and saw his friend waiting outside for him, his face pale.

“Hey,” the boy said. “Did someone just come out of the shower room a second ago?”

His friend gave him a strange look and nodded slowly.
“Did you see anyone else go in? ‘Cause I could have sworn I was the only one in there.”
“You were. I was standing here the whole time and no one went in.”

Apple Tree

Here’s a random scary story that happened to my roommate’s mother’s dad’s neighbor’s friend’s uncle’s aunt’s acquaintance’s ex-friend’s teacher’s son’s double first cousin.

So anyway, my roommate’s mother’s dad’s neighbor’s friend’s…whatever. We’ll just call him Frank for the record. He was driving in this car, see. And I heard that as he was driving along, he passed this big apple tree on the side of the road, you know where the little island of grass is?

Now, this apple tree is huge—impossible to miss. So, he passed it, see. And after about five minutes, this guy is still driving down the highway when he passes the same old apple tree again!
He couldn’t believe it! He watched him pass it for himself and, no, he didn’t go in no circles and he wasn’t taking no meds. This is an honest, God-fearing man and he wouldn’t lie about something like that.
And now he’s scared out of his wits. He won’t never drive nowhere and he won’t even look at his car!
Frankly, it has me a little spooked too and it’ll take a crapload of courage for me to eat another apple again!

Night to Light

A young woman decided she needed a break from her house. Her cat was yowling, her kids were fighting and the TV was much too loud, so she went to sit on the porch one afternoon to enjoy the peace and quiet.
All of a sudden, the sun went down and it took a matter of seconds before the sky turned pitch black. The woman found this a little odd, but what was even stranger was that her cat that had been crying down the house a moment earlier was now completely silent. She couldn’t even hear her kids hollering about whatever tiff they’d been having. The TV she’d left on inside stopped.
And what’s more, she lived in the suburbs, so there was always a car or two driving by at this time of night, but she didn’t hear any. There were no owls hooting like there always were either.
The woman was scared. Outside, a person grows accustomed to all the everyday noises that occur, but what unnerved her most of all was that nothing at that moment was making a sound. To the woman, it sounded as if the world was…dead.

A few minutes later, the birds started to chirp. Her cat was meowing softly from inside. Her kids began to yell at each other again. The TV inside started back up again. A car or two drove by. And the sun rose out from the east just as quickly as it had set.

Man’s Hole

The town by the river was very peaceful and in it all was well. The bakers baked their bread, the businessmen did their business, housewives worked in the house while some went to their careers in the tall office buildings, and their children went to school like good eggs. Pretty much everything was normal.

Then one day, a big hole in the middle of the town opened and it stayed that way for many days. Construction men said that they could not find a lid big enough to cover it and everyone was warned to stay away. A few curious citizens peered at it and a man leaned down and shouted, “Olly olly oxen free!” But his echo never floated back to him.

A little girl who was walking past it with her mother dropped her shoe into the mysterious hole, but never heard it land.

A young woman threw in a penny, but didn’t hear the splat on the ground. She threw in a few more. Nothing.
This did not go unnoticed and everyone began to get frightened and a little angry. Holes didn’t just open up in the middle of the street, did they?
Panicking, all the citizens of the town by the river ran into their houses and retrieved their heaviest items. Whole sofas, bookshelves, candlestick holders, unused laptops and expired printers all went into the hole at the same time, but they never heard the crash.
Then, the people started to get ideas. Why did they have to fear the hole when they could just make better use of it?
When people got sick and couldn’t make it to the bathroom, they vomited in the hole and spit in it too. Toilet seats were even installed on the outer rim of the hole and the town charged twenty dollars per use of each one.
They also started to make a change in their environment. Instead of landfills, the trucks dumped the thousand pounds of rubbish and nuclear waste into the hole. Boy scouts and girl scouts gathered litter from under the highways and into the hole it went.
The town by the river looked a million times cleaner and healthier than it ever had and they had the hole to thank for it.
Then, one quiet and still morning, a little boy heard a peculiar sound coming from the sky.
“Olly olly oxen free!”

Well, well, well

For as long as I can remember, my mother and father always told me to stay away from the well we had in our backyard. Whenever I looked at it or went anywhere near it, they took turns spanking me so hard and making sure I wouldn’t be able to sit right for a month. They absolutely forbid me to even mention its existence.

They even went so far as to build a brick wall around it.

But, being only nine years old, my curiosity got the better of me and I climbed that wall.

Just know right now that I’m not a bad kid. I just wanted to see what was so great about that stupid well.
The well was so dark that I couldn’t even see my reflection in the water. I took a rock out of my pocket and dropped it in the water. I didn’t hear a splash.
Flabbergasted, I dropped three more rocks into the depths, but heard nothing when I expected to hear three splashes.
I felt confused and mentally abused.
Then, from inside the house, I could hear my father shout, “Who put all these rocks in the bathtub?!”

The Girl of his Dreams

Julian had done well for himself. His high school days were almost over, he had been accepted to a fancy college and he had two loving parents. But he never had any interesting dreams.

Until this one night, that is. In it, the most beautiful woman he had ever seen with short raven hair, big black eyes and a flowing white dress said to him in an urgent whisper, “You live in a wicked place. Run away as soon as the sun lights your eyes.” And then he woke up. It was always the same as the nights went on and Julian started to wonder what they might mean.

One day, as Julian was sleeping, he could swear he heard someone sawing a hole in the floor around him. He also began to notice that his mother never cooked his food all the way through and sometimes she would just try to feed it to him raw. He went to his car and found that his brake was broken in two and lying in the grass. He had to put a butcher knife back in the drawer because he found it sticking right up out of his bed.

Julian was sure someone was after him and he told his parents. As his mother hugged him, his father raised a knife above his head and tried to bring it down upon his son’s back, but the boy broke loose. He was taller than his father and he managed to get the knife out of his grasp, demanding for an explanation.

His parents cried and admitted that they were trying to kill him because they wanted the money in his college fund.

Julian could not believe what he was hearing and stole far away from the house, crashing at his buddy’s until graduation came. That night, he had another dream.

The magnificent woman with the short raven hair, the big black eyes and the flowing white dress came to him again, but instead of the worry lines creasing her eyebrows, she gave him a warm, tender smile.

“You’re safe now,” she said.

And Julian never saw her in his dreams again.

A teenager washed her face. A random guy went to the mall. A girl used the bathroom. Doesn’t sound to out there, right? Well, be forewarned. What happens in these next stories might even happen to you…

Final Chat

Boy: Hello?

Girl: Baby?

Boy: Hi, honey. How’s it going?

Girl: I’m not doing so well! You see, I…I’m lost.

Boy: You’re lost? What? What does that mean, you’re lost? Didn’t you find the bus stop?

Girl: No. Yeah, yeah I did. But it was a ten, fifteen minute wait, so I just started, like, walking around, you know. Trying to kill time and stuff.

Boy: Yes…

Girl: But I’m sure…I’m pretty sure that I’ve just been doing in circles all night and I promise you I passed this bush that looks like Lady Gaga six times already!

Boy: Well, yeah, but why—

Girl: And not only that! And not only that! This entire time I’ve been walking straight, in a straight line. That’s it. No twists, no turns, no curves, no nothing. I’ve just been walking straight ahead and I’ve been going in circles and that didn’t happen when I got to the bus stop and I’m starting to get a little freaked out now!

Boy: Okay, just stay calm. Do you want me to come get you?

Girl: No, you don’t—I don’t need you to. You don’t need to do that. I want you safe at home.

Boy: Well, the whole reason you went to the bus stop in the first place was to hitch a ride to my house.

Girl: Well, yeah. Yes it was.

Boy: This doesn’t feel right. Should I call the cops or somebody?

Girl: No. Don’t bother the cops. They can’t do anything right. No, I’ll just…No, I…No!

Boy: What’s the matter, honey?

Girl: No, I don’t want to…I’m not even going this way! I told you before I—wait, what? No, say that a little slower…

Boy: Me?

Girl: Alright! Okay, okay. I’m going, I’m going, I’m going. Just take a chill pill. Yeesh.

Boy: What’s wrong? Honey? Honey? Honey?

Girl: Okay. This weird guy, this really creepy old man was just screaming at me like Get away! Get away from here! You’re not supposed to be out here and blah blah blah and whatever. So I just ran and…now I really don’t know where I am.

Boy: This is not a good sign. I’m coming to get you.

Girl: No! You stay in your house. It’ll be fine. I’ll be fine. I’ll be just…whoa. Do you, do you hear that?

Boy: Hear what?

Girl: …Whoa…That is some weird stuff.

Boy: What is it?

Girl: It’s, okay, it’s this sound in the distance. Like drums or…bells? Is it…yeah, I think it’s bells or…what the heck is that?

Boy: What?

Girl: Don’t freak out, okay?

Boy: What is it?

Girl: They’re…getting…bigger. Okay, this is really freaking me out. I’ve never seen anything like…wow.

Boy: What is it? What’s the matter? What are you seeing right now?

Girl: It’s lights. In the distance. Now they’re right, they’re right in front of me, and they’re…They’re surrounding me and they’re not lights. They’re—

Boy:…What? They’re what? Hello? Honey? Hello, are you there? Are you there? What’s going on? What’s happening? Honey?

Don’t worry.

Boy: What? Wait a minute, who is this? Hello? Hello?

Everything will be just fine.
Boy: What are you talking about? What’s going on?
Your girlfriend is dead. Thank you.

Public Restroom

The public restroom on the corner was convenient for anyone who was walking down the street to pop a squat on the toilet, do their business, wash their hands and be on their merry way. And it was even more convenient because it was equipped for both genders. However, it had an unwritten rule—do not use it. Anyone who went into the place was never seen or heard from again. Wanted posters and missing person signs were put up, but it was as if they had vanished into thin air.

Then, this girl passed it on her way home just as a series of cramps from her period began to overtake her. She nixed the whole taboo thing and ran inside, as she could not make it to her house without soaking her white pants. The bathroom had very dim and very poor lighting, but it would have to do. Whipping the tampon out of her purse and plugging herself up, she heard a sound.

“Psst!” she heard several voices hiss. They were coming from the floor.

Beneath her foot was a loose tile and it jiggled whenever she moved. The girl bent over to lift it up out of the ground when something caught her eye. It was a dark hole and inside the little alcove were a haphazardly scattered bunch of skulls.

The girl gasped and ran out of the bathroom just before she caught a glimpse of something in the mirror. Crouched beneath the sink was an old woman who had been hiding there for quite some time. She was grinning wickedly at the girl and in her hand was the unmistakably sharp blade of a knife.

Facial Cream

Every morning, the girl had a routine. She smeared her face with a special brand of acne-free facial cream that her mother had bought special from a lady in a shack. However, as the days went on, the poor girl’s face deteriorated, getting uglier and redder and puffier with each day, and she became very weak. It got to the point where she wasn’t able to get out of bed and even though her parents left their jobs to take care of her, she wasted away and eventually died.

Her grief-stricken parents held a funeral and sold everything of hers, including her acne-free facial cream, in a garage sale. The lady who sold the girl’s mother the cream disguised herself and bought it back. She carried it home and gave it to her daughter to use. Her daughter was terminally ill and was hooked up to a breathing machine, but no one thought she would make it. However, as she applied the cream throughout the days, she began to feel stronger and healthier and her face became even more beautiful. Eventually, it got to the point where she didn’t even need to stay in bed and she could go jogging around the block again.
“I feel so much better,” she thanked her mother. “What was in that stuff?”
Womannequin

One time, I knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy’s cousin’s best friend’s uncle’s son. But since that’s a mouthful, we’ll just call him B.J.
So, B.J. used to shop at the local mall downtown a lot. He’d walk around, buy a few things, get one of those big, fluffy, salty pretzels and stroll around, glancing at everything on sale. Well, what B.J. liked the most about the mall were the mannequins in the womens’ stores like Macy’s and JCPenny and everything. He always thought they were the most beautiful things on the planet and let’s just say he wasn’t so popular with the real-life ladies. Don’t tell him I said that.

One in particular caught his eye and B.J. would stare at it for hours. She wore a slimming black dress that hugged her figure and was extremely pretty. The thing that stuck out to B.J. was that she was very life-like. He’d look at her day after day and day after day until he noticed something that frightened him. Its face appeared uglier and uglier as the days went by, and it almost looked like it was losing weight. But how could that be?

Then, after a few months without going to the mall, he went there to sneak a peek at his lovely lady and almost wet his pants. The mannequin not a mannequin anymore, but a full-blown skeleton!

He called the police and the manager was arrested without chance of parole. Needless to say, B.J. never went to another mall again.

Indescriba-pool

I hate my pool. I don’t ever swim in it.
Five years ago, we were having family time and I was going to be the first one to get used to the water. Then, it started turning a dark, murky green and bubbles began to emerge and I promise you that pool started to groan and call my name and the smell was absolutely horrible.
I ran away screaming. My parents are still mad at me that I won’t touch it because they paid a lot of money for it.

Me, I’m not ever going near another pool again.

These tales of terror will have you begging your parents to let you stay home from school the next day.

The Chalkboard

When my uncle was my age, he was in school and he was listening in class as his math teacher prattled on and on about things no one cared about and no one cared enough to repeat. Everyone was terribly bored. Then, the piece of chalk suddenly rose up from the side handle and began writing on the board. As everyone watched, the message completed itself and, when finished, read:

“Shut your fat mouth, everyone is bored.”

The teacher fainted and never got back up again.

The entire class cheered and danced all around the room until the school day ended. The principal got news of this and hushed up the situation and got a replacement teacher for the class who was a lot more fun and made math a lot more interesting.

No one knows what happened that day with that piece of chalk, but they sure were grateful!

Playback Music

The band teacher had just finished recording the song with the band and he had gone back into his chambers to listen to it. The beginning went along just as he had expected it would, but when the middle came along, he made out an almost inaudible fuzzy, groaning sound.

Frowning, the composer rewound it but the strange noise did not go away, but seemed to increase in volume. He called the man who had sold him the tape recorder and complained, but he agreed that bizarre sounds were not part of the deal and said he’d be happy to sell him another one that didn’t have weird sounds.

The band teacher hung up and phoned the local parapsychologist, asking him to come over and take a gander. The parapsychologist slowed the taped piece down and a single sentence could be made out;

“Today, 11:00 p.m. at your quarters. Today, 11:00 p.m. at your quarters. Today, 11:00 p.m. at your quarters…”

The parapsychologist was baffled—he had never heard anything like this—and he told the composer to go home, get some rest, and by tomorrow, things would start making sense.

So, the teacher went home. After he took a shower and put on his pink onesie, he crawled into bed. He fell asleep almost instantly, but was soon awakened by thirst.

The man rolled over and checked his alarm clock as 10:59 p.m. changed into 11:00 p.m. He walked over to the staircase but he lost his footing on the first step and pitched down the stairs headfirst. He broke his neck and was killed instantly.

The Cliff by the Sea

The lonely boy was sitting dejectedly on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea when a girl about his age sat beside him.
After introducing themselves, the boy pegged her as very cheerful and upbeat. She always had a smile on her face and the most interesting feature about her was that she had the prettiest flower he had ever seen in her hair. She said she’d had it in there for as long as she could remember.
They enjoyed the company they provided for each other and had a great time talking and laughing. The boy liked the girl the more he spoke to her and loved the feeling of someone wanting to spend time with him, which he had never been used to. She never seemed to run out of things to say. Their conversation lasted for hours, but time flew. Eventually, the girl said she had to leave and stalked off.

A little later, the boy’s friend sat beside him. “Who were you talking to just now?” he asked.

“Oh, just a girl,” the boy responded offhandedly. “She’s really nice.”

His friend stared at him strangely. “She had a flower in her hair, didn’t she?”

The boy was startled. “How did you know?”

His friend sighed. “Look, buddy. I hate to tell you this, but she died two days ago. Jumped right off this cliff to her death. Her parents said she might have been depressed, but we’re not so sure. Everyone thought she seemed real cheerful and upbeat…”

On and on his friend went, but the boy couldn’t breathe. He quickly faced the crashing waves of the ocean down below to hide his tears.

R.I.P-ped Apart

No one could understand it, but at the elementary school that was closed down, all of the teachers died. They sort of just dropped dead, kind of like those beta fighter fish you get at the pet store, you know? The most peculiar thing about it was that the teacher first stopped in the lounge and the next one who went in there would find their lifeless bodies sprawled on the floor.

Rumor had it that there was a deranged killer hiding in the closet of the teacher’s lounge, and all the kids were evacuated immediately. However, the autopsy report showed that there was no blood loss, no marks on their bodies, no evidence of asphyxiation or any form of murder—but they had been poisoned.

Immediately, the parents turned on the cafeteria food and began going on a rampage, suing all of the ladies in charge of it. Of course, none of them got in trouble except for one. She was taken into police custody and given life without parole in prison. You might be wondering why this is.

You’d want to see someone in jail too for going into the teacher’s lounge and switching the leaves in the tea bags with monkshood.

The Twelfth Sight

One time when I was in class, my teacher was doing attendance and counted twelve of us. She did it again and only counted eleven.

Everyone was confused. This wasn’t just a mistake on the teacher’s part; everyone had distinctively seen a twelfth face, a girl’s face. People looked and looked and we even got the principal involved.

No one could find the twelfth child. It was like she totally disappeared into thin air.

There’s no ending quite like putting a laugh on your lips. Share a few snickers with your family and/or friends.

TV of Doom

An old woman lived alone. Some days she was lonely, but other days she was glad for the peace and quiet.
One night, as she lay in bed reading, the TV in the living room turned on all by itself. A little confused, the lady hobbled out of bed and turned it off only to be halfway to her room and hear it turn on again.
She got back out of bed and shut the TV off and heard it turn back on as soon as she turned around.
She stomped back to the living room to turn it off, and stood there and watched as it turned itself back on.
Frustrated beyond belief, the lady ran to the drawer, took out a piece of masking tape and taped the power button down.
All of a sudden she heard a voice in the room say, “I was watching that.”

Summer Camp

The girl at the summer camp was very mean. She picked on any girl she could, teasing them to tears and insulting them with no mercy. However, she was an angel to the counselors, so they never suspected anything.

The next day, the girl disappeared. The counselors looked everywhere, but couldn’t find a trace of her. However, on the mirror in her bathroom, there was a clue. Written in blood, it said “Bashing and teasing leads to throat-slashing and bleeding!”

I Scream of Terror!

Once, I knew this guy who ordered a pralines and cream ice cream from the cart and he ate it on the way home. The next day, he noticed that his tongue was a little puffy, but he shrugged it off and didn’t bother getting it checked out.

The day after that, his tongue got a little bigger, but he still didn’t go to the doctor.

The day after that, his tongue grew to the size of a baseball, but he still didn’t think it was that big a deal.

It was only the day after the next when he looked in the mirror and saw that his tongue was as big as a balloon that he decided to go his doctor. You should have seen him try to talk to them. “’An I ‘ee ‘the ‘octor ‘lease?” It was hilarious.

The doctors told him to wait in the waiting room and in a few minutes, their toughest, most hardcore surgeon was ready to do surgery on his tongue. Nothing could shock this guy, I promise you.

He had the guy lie on his back on the table and all the surgeon did was poke his tongue with a little instrument and a million little spiders scattered all over the place and ran down his mouth from the egg their mother had laid in his tongue.
The surgeon took one look and threw up all over the floor.

I think he said that the ice cream cart where he got his ice cream had bugs and all sorts of insects crawling around that had the owner swatting them away at every turn. But since a pregnant spider got into one of the pralines and cream, the owner was arrested with no chance of parole.

And worst of all, the guy who had the spider egg in his tongue is my boyfriend.

Stretching

A boy and a girl were sitting next to each other in the computer lab, working on their work.

The girl tilted her head to the side and a loud crack filled the room. The boy tried to ignore her as she raised her arms over her head and swung them left and right, making alternative breaking sounds.
She rolled her shoulders, making a continuous snapping sound. Then, she stood up and wiggled her hips, cracking them in the process. The girl rotated each one of her feet slowly, making an even louder crack.

The boy winced. “Um, ouch,” he laughed. “Doesn’t that hurt?”

“Not at all,” the girl said casually.

“Do you do that often?”

“All the time. My bones are so dry and stiff I’ve gotta stretch any place I can. I’m telling you, there should have buried me with an oil can.”

Hidin’

Crouched under the desk, a blanket thrown over her head, Haiden really didn’t want to be found by the man. The girl tried to remain silent as possible, but heard heavy footsteps enter the room. The blanket whipped off her and she shrieked.

Her father smiled. “Found you. Now it’s my turn. Count to twenty.”

Feeling a tad confused about these stories? Hungry for an explanation? Well trust me; you’re not the only one. Read this index and it’ll give you scaredy-cats a clearer insight into a disturbed mind.

Bus Stops
For the longest time, the bus stop has been the basis of frightening events for many years. In Final Chat, the boy had the girl wait there in order to take the bus to meet at his house but, as you can see, nothing is that simple anymore. Always be cautious around the bus stop; you never know what might happen.
Deranged People
They are everywhere. You just have to be smart enough to point them out. In Womannequin, the storekeeper who dug up his dead girlfriend, cleaned her body and put her on display is someone you should stay far away from. Or like in Facial Cream, anyone who would sell a happy family a product that with continued use eventually steals the daughter’s soul is not someone worth associating with. Or like in R.I.P-ed Apart, when a malicious lunch lady had enough of people taking advantage of her—or maybe it was the fact that nobody said thank you when she served them—and poisoned all the teachers. Of course, Hidin’ expects you to believe that the man chasing the girl was deranged, but it’s alright in the end. But in all seriousness, don’t trust those other people.
However, there are deranged wackos who go even farther on an everyday basis, but I can’t tell you what they did. You’re too big of scaredy-cats.
Doppelgangers
Basically, Merriam-Webster Online defines them as “a ghost that looks like a living person, ghostly counterparts of a living person,” or simply, “someone who looks like someone else.” These babies bring bad luck and bad news and I would stay far away from them if I were you. I got inspired to write T., Dax, Voices and The Tale of Two Brothers from reading all sorts of accounts of people’s run-ins with doppelgangers on About.com. And guess what? They were all true.
Dreams
The idea of dreams holding special meanings is not new. In The Girl of His Dreams, a beautiful angel comes to a boy in the form of a dream with the sole purpose of warning him that his home is evil. Heck, even in the Bible angels came to people in dreams and all that. This is not the only true instance; several stories recount a recently deceased person visiting a family member and saying that everything is fine and they are at peace at last. So next time, if someone tells you something in a dream…believe it.
EVP
They are sounds on electric recordings that may or may not be speech. However, in the case of Playback Music, it was speech and it was a warning of the time and place of the band teacher’s demise. As far as who said it over the music, nobody knows.
Ghosts
Ah, the famous apparitions who come back in the form of their dead selves. But sometimes, it’s not fair because some guys don’t know that the people they are talking to are ghosts, like in The Cliff by the Sea. Other times, it’s funnier when the ghosts aren’t aware that their peers don’t know that they are dead, like in Stretching, when she casually mentions her burial. Ghosts have a humorous side as well, like in TV of Doom, when the old lady unknowingly houses a ghost that likes its television shows, or in Summer Camp of Death, when a ghost has had enough of the bully hurting the other girls’ feelings. Ghosts can also serve a purpose, like in Public Restroom, when they warn her of the bathroom’s haunted reputation.
Portals
A portal is defined as a “doorway,” a “gate” or “some other elaborate entrance.” Portals come in all forms, whether it is in the form of a giant hole like in the Man’s Hole, or a well like in Well, well, well. In Indescriba-pool, who knows where that pool would have led the girl if she got in? That’s why we must always be cautious when it comes to portals.
Reincarnation
Whether it’s real or not, nobody knows, but it is defined as the concept that after a person dies, they begin a new life in someone else’s body. In Baby, it’s Cold Outside, that’s exactly what happened to the woman’s friend’s son, and you could see that he’d told her many times and it has upset her many a times.
Time Slips
This is an alleged paranormal phenomenon experienced through countless parts of the world in which a person or a party travels through time and they don’t even know it until later. Sometimes it’s sort of like a time hiccup, like in Apple Tree, where the man drove past the distinct landmark twice and hadn’t made any turns anywhere on the road. Other times, people unknowingly get transported from one place to another, like in The Shower Room, when the confused boy accidentally wound up there via unknown means. And then, time can go way too fast, like in Night to Light when the woman on her porch literally slipped through time.
Unsanitary Kitchens
We trust the places that keep our food to store it in a clean and healthy environment, but what happens when they don’t live up to this expectation can lead to very scary situations, as illustrated in I Scream of Terror.