Being a Teenager | Teen Ink

Being a Teenager

“Oh my god, mom. I don’t care” and I slammed the door.
“Dear Diary, you know I am fed up of living with my family. I just feel that none of them care about me, like it wouldn’t make a difference to them weather I existed or not. They have my brother you see. I feel I am neglected. My dad’s never around he keeps travelling. My mum’s always busy with my brother, fighting with my father, painting or screaming at me. I know dad loves me and cares, but at a point I feel my mom cares about my brother more. It’s like she ignores me. For example, just the other day I was pleading my mother to take me out for dinner and she refused, as she was ‘tired’. But after awhile when my brother asked her and she agreed immediately. This isn’t the first time that something like this has happened it happens all the time. Either she sides him, or listens to him also dads never here to see what’s happening at home. Even when he’s here he’s either with his friends or busy with a meeting. I feel...”
“Daphne open! Your dad’s home. He wants to talk to you!” mum knocks. “Be there in a minute.”
In the living room, at noon. Dads sitting on the dinning at the chair right next to mine. I rush down to see him and I know that mum must have complaint about my ‘behaviour’. I open the door slightly, and I see dad sitting with a few friends of his.
“Mum, are daddy’s friends going to be joining us for lunch?” “No sweetheart, they’re just leaving. They are going to the new Italian restraunt for lunch and drinks”
“So it’s just the three of us again for lunch?” “Yes! I am busy here. We’ll talk later and I haven’t forgotten how you acted this morning. Your father will talk to you, when he is back. Now go lay the table” I walked away with my head low as my brother entered laughing and hugged mum.
“Hey dad! I am just so glad your back! I have missed you so much! How are you?”
“Hi doll, I am okay. We will talk at dinner. I am busy now.” I just walked away. I went and sat outside in the garden with my dog, just wondering, later i started talking to him “You know Greg sometimes i feel your my only friend. I know i can trust you.”
“Daphne! Where are you! I told you to lay the table. Didn’t I?” Mum screamed from the kitchen, angrily, trying to find me “Coming ma” I replied, rushing.
I walked inside, as I had no choice. I was ready to listen to her scream and yell, again. It just started making no difference now. I got use to it. Like it was a part of my life. “Daphne! Where were you? can’t I even depend on you for laying the table; you’re a girl growing to be a woman show some responsibility, will you. You have do work. You can’t just leave it. Are you even paying attention? Don’t look down at your feet! Don’t play with your hair. Look at me! And answer. Wasn’t I clear when I asked you to lay the table?”
“Yes. You were, I am sorry.”
“Then why didn’t you do what you were asked to? Is it so difficult to set a table for four? And four sets of spoons and forks? Why did you go and sit in the garden don’t you know its lunch time? You have to help in the house, one day you will have the entire responsibility of the house. Don’t you see how much I work your fathers never around, when you grow older and get married your husband might be as busy as your father and you will have to take care of everything. And you will surly need someone to help. So don’t make it difficult for me to live with you, your father and brother are enough.”
“Yes ma” I replied, in a soft voice, playing with my finger nails.
“Now go and call your brother for lunch” I dragged my feet upstairs, I stood there outside my brothers room and knocked. He was listening to loud music, so he couldn’t hear me knock. So I opened the door “Moms calling you...”
“Get out! Can’t you knock? Tell her I am coming, Foolish” he yelled. “I did knock, but...”
“WHAT? Get out! Don’t you understand? GO!” I slammed the door and showed myself down to the dinning. “Daphne did you call your brother or are you too lazy to do that even?”
“I called Andrew mom, he said he’s coming.”
“Dear Diary, is running away a good option? Cause I am annoyed. My best friend Rosalinda is too busy with my enemy Alexandra. I don’t know, when and how did they become such good friends! I was checking Rosalinda’s Facebook wall and I saw a picture of Alexandra and her, captioned “Friends Forever” now what am I suppose to feel? She knows me and Alexandra have are issues. I just don’t want to lose Rosalinda she is my best friend, she understands me better than anyone else. I feel everything is coming all together, Rosalinda going away, my family and my boyfriend, Vance cheating on me. Nothing ever seems to be right in my life. I am the most messed up person.” I called my best boy friend Vayne, “Hello! I need to talk to you about Vance.”
“Listening...” he replied. “I can’t forget him, I know whatever he did was wrong and he played with me and stuff. I know he cheated, I know he never loved me or cared but I did. It all felt so real. I felt he actually cared. Am I stupid? Do I love so easily? Is it my fault?”
“Daphne, it’s okay! Everyone makes mistakes sooner or later you made yours now. And don’t regret it. Learn from it; see what you’ve gained and not what you’ve lost. You know there might be so many out there who truly love you and your going to cry for someone who didn’t? You’re a strong girl. You have to let it go. You can take as much time you want and always remember that I am always there for you.”
“Vayne, thank you. I love you the most. Everything has been a mess lately or messy forever, Rosalinda is acting so stupid. Anyway I got to talk to her to and sort things out.”
“Yes Daphne, I am aware I’ll try and make things straight. You just take care love! Buh-bye!”
“What would I do without you?” I whispered
“I am always there, you know that.”
I hung up with a smile.

*New text message from Vance*
Vance: Daphne can we talk?
Me: Talk about?
Vance: Look Daphne, I’m really sorry for what happened. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Double play or anything as such, I really really miss you.
Me: So you do agree that you played with me?
Vance: Yes. And I am really sorry! I truly mean it.
Me: What did you gain? Or achieve from doing it?
Vance: I just ran trough things too fast... I realised what I have done. And that’s the reason I texted you. Can we be friends?
Me: I don’t know. I’ll have to think. You played with me and my feelings.
Vance: I am really sorry for doing this with you. I know you have truly been hurt cause of me. I promise, nothing like this will ever happen later. I am sorry.
Me: it’s ok. But while whatever you were doing did you ever even for once actually care, about me?
Vance: Daphne, I have always thought of you as someone special. Like a family member... I really cared and still care about you. I know it’s difficult for you to decide either to talk to me or not. No forces think about it. And let me know. I am really glad you understood.
Me: Vance, after what you have one it’s really hard to believe that you actually cared.
Vace: Trust me. I always cared. I just got carried away. And I have realised all of it. Please understand. I miss you.
Me: I do understand, but after what you did it’s hard to trust you again.
Vance: Take your time. I would be extremely happy, if we could ever talk. Will wait for your answer, I miss you.
“Dear Diary, this day couldn’t get worse. Grayson, my best friend or my so called brother isn’t here when I need him the most. He’s in army school and I haven’t spoken to him in months. Can’t wait till he gets back. Also, Vance, my ex-boyfriend who played with me, cheated, and lied to me just texted me asking if we could be friends. Isn’t that ridiculous? Does he think that I am going to forget those two years? Those two years I spent with him. When I actually believed that he loved me and cared? I thought it was all really but I was a joke for him cause I wasn’t the only one he was dating. I still don’t get it what did he get? I can’t forget him. He’s ALWAYS on my mind, something or the other reminds me about him and I tear up. Like he’s my weakness, after all that he’s done I still can’t forget him. I don’t feel like tell this to anyone, cause it might sound like too much of drama or something. I remember everything about him, everything he said to me. Every moment we shared but then in all that thought I remember it was all fake.”

Grayson: Hey babe, I’m back!
Me: OMG! I don’t believe it! I missed you so much. I have so much to tell you. Meet me tomorrow?
Grayson: For sure! How have you been? Have you spoken to Vance?
Me: Been okay. Yes, kind of. He texted me sometime ago. Can we talk tomorrow when we meet? I’m not feeling too good.
Grayson: oh okay. No problem, take your time. Take care. I’m there if you need me. Meet me first thing in the morning, tomorrow.
Sometimes we just don’t understand people whom we think we do. Sometimes we feel that feeling don’t change. That, that one person will always be there for you that he or she will never go away or change. Sometimes someone we love the most can go away for good or another reason we just have to be strong and supportive. You might have cried the night but did you get what you cried, for in morning? No right? But it’s okay. Cause sometimes we cry to lighten ourselves. It’s a good thing, crying doesn’t mean you’re weak. It just shows that you can handle yourself.
“Daphne! Daphne! Daphne! Its dinner time. When did you even fall asleep? Your dads waiting at the table for you, he wants to talk to you.” mom yelled, as usual.
“Yes, I wasn’t feeling too well. I’ll be right down”
On the dining table...
“Hello Daphne, I’ve been waiting for you. I have heard from your mother about your behaviour lately, not only to her but to your brother and everyone else. What is the matter? Why this ‘attitude’?
“Nothing much daddy. It was just a bad week.” I whispered.
“Okay now, dinners ready” mother came in with the vessels.
Next day morning...
“Grayson, I missed you so much. I’m so glad to see you.” And I hugged him.
“Oh me too! You have no idea! Anyway... I have something to tell you... I left Army school” he said
“Why? And all of a sudden?”
“Yes, actually I don’t like it much there. I'll just join another college here, and I’ll be close to you too. So i’ll be there whenever you need me” and hugged me, as a tear rolled down my eye. A tear of joy and happiness. We spent the entire morning together and I told him everything, about Rosalinda and what was happening at home but the only thing I didn’t tell him, it was about Vance. Cause I know he can’t see me hurt and he was the reason me and Vance broke up. I just knew it that I couldn’t tell anyone what I feel for Vace, it was like I kept it all inside me. I knew I could tell or share with a lot of people but I didn’t want replies like “aww” or “I know how it feels” cause none of them did. None of them know how I felt or how I feel. I still cry over the guy who broke my heart.
Months later I was nearly over Vance and Grayson feel in love with me, like not brotherly love but actual love. But I wasn’t really interested in dating. I stopped believing in love, cause in my world it didn’t exist. It’s all just in fairytales, where they truly make you believe in love and keep you wondering when your handsome prince will come on a white horse to get you and take you away, but none of it is true. Why make us imagine all of this when we’re kids. So that we believe in this fake stuff?