The New Beginning

Author's note: I actually got the idea for this piece from a dream that I had. I switched quite a bit up from my...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I actually got the idea for this piece from a dream that I had. I switched quite a bit up from my dream, but the base line of the plot came from the dream. If I could get comments on what's good and bad about the piece or some advice, that would be great. Please, give me some feedback, it is greatly appreciated.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Chapter One

I put my finger to my lips as my group crouched down and began making our way along the store shelves. Various merchandise was strewn all over the floor; bottles of pop, toilet paper, random stale foods crumbled all over the floor. We all picked up what we could that was still good and tossed it into our separate backpacks. I heard a can of pop fall down off a shelf and I looked back to see my brother give me an apologetic look. I held my hand up for everybody to stop and peaked around the end of
Please, feedback would be great!
the shelf. Just outside the store windows I could see it.
It was slightly crouched down peering around for it’s next prey. Thick, slimy, dark saliva was dripping from its jagged sharp teeth. Both of the eyes had a red bloodshot look to them and the pupils were quite small. The nose was pushed up and flattened and there was dried blood caked around the mouth. It was a sickly grey splotchy color with bruising and scratches everywhere. The earlobe of both ears looked like they had been ripped off, but that didn’t fool me, I knew how well they could hear. Like all others, it had no hair. They all usually looked alike, just with a few different distinguishes here and there. It was hard to think that at one point in time, it was a human that had lived a normal life just like the rest of us used to. But now, all it was, was a horrendous, bloodthirsty mutant. All it takes is the tiniest bit of saliva to enter into your system to become one of them.
Out of nowhere I saw a person run across the street. I wasn’t the only one who saw the young girl running. The mutant had caught up to her right as she hit the other side of the street. The thing bit into her neck in an instant, blood squirting all over the street. I heard her screams of terror ringing in my head, but I knew there was nothing I could do. I felt someone brush up against me and I saw a shotgun pull up. I dove backwards right before the shotgun was shot to prevent any injuries to myself. I watched as the bullet went right into the back of the mutant’s head, splattering matter all over the street. The mutant, and the girl, both collapsed onto the ground not moving.
“Damien! Are you stupid?” I yelled at him.
“What? I killed it didn’t I?”
“Yes, but you also didn’t think of the consequences yet again!”
“What do you---” his sentence was cut off as we heard the horrible deep, low growl of several mutants.
“You idiot! Now they know where we are!” I mumbled furiously to him.
I turned around to face the rest of the group and gave them a nod; they knew what to do. I watched as each one of them pulled out their weapons. I pulled my pistol out from its holder on my thigh. I held my finger to my lips telling everyone to not make a sound. Before I could turn to look back out the store windows, I heard another shot from Damien’s gun and heard another mutant drop.
“Damien!”
That’s when all hell broke loose. Five more mutants started to rush into the store. Each and every one of them had dark slimy drool dripping from their jagged teeth and their splotchy colored skin was repulsive. There really was no way to tell males from females anymore with them.
“Split up into your groups! You know what to do!” I yelled out. I fired my pistol at the nearest mutant hitting in the stomach. It fell over backwards but got right back up in an instant. Being the leader, since there was an odd number of people in our group I was to go off on my own and distract the mutants. I barrelled my way through the front of the door.
“Hey come and get me!” I yelled behind me. I saw three of the mutants see how easy I was and came running after me. “S***,” I mumbled under my breath as I began running down the street. I could hear their low growls coming from behind me and they were coming up on me fast. My heart began beating out of my chest and my lungs were on fire. My legs felt like jelly but I kicked it up into high gear and began running faster. I turned down the first street I saw that would lead them away from our safe house. I felt one of the mutants grab onto my backpack and yank me back. I let the backpack fall from my shoulders as the other mutant grabbed for my arm, leaving scratches down my forearm as I yanked myself away. I got a little lead before I turned around and aimed for the mutant on the right, shooting it right between the eyes. I didn’t have time to wait and watch it fall. One down, two to go.
I ran into the nearest store and began yanking shelves down behind me, leaving an obstacle course. It slowed them down as they came crashing through the big windows in the front of the store, sending glass shards everywhere. I felt a few slice my cheek and forehead. I ignored the pain and took aim. Another right between the eyes. I saw it fall back out through the window just as I was tackled down by the last mutant. Its rotting, disgusting, hot breath was surrounding my head as it growled a long, very deep growl into my face. I pulled my pistol up and fired it right in its heart splattering blood all over me and knocking the mutant up and off of me. I layed there for a minute or two catching my breath, realizing how close to death I had just been. I’m really glad they had two spots to hit to kill them versus just one, or I would’ve been dead meat, literally. I got back up to my feet and began worrying about everyone else; especially my brother. I hope they all did what they were supposed to; split into their groups of two and took off in different directions splitting the mutants up and leading them away from the safe house. I left the store and made my way slowly and stealthily back to the store where it had all began. Hopefully they were all back there, meeting like we were supposed to. I stepped into the store and took count of who was there and who was not.
“Holy s*** Sky, are you okay?” I heard Callie ask me.
I ignored her and walked right up to her boyfriend Damien shoving him in the chest. “Are you stupid?!” I yelled at him.
“What’s your problem?” He asked.
“Why would you go and put us all in danger like that?! You know better than to make noise when we are out in the open! It attracts them! It lets them know that we’re there and where we are!”
“I was trying to help that girl,” he stated.
“Bullshit! You saw she was bit and that there was nothing we could do about it. We both know you only wanted to shoot the mutant. You didn’t care the least bit about the woman. You never think about the consequences.” I shoved him one last time as he glared at me because he knew I knew his real intentions. I then turned to face my brother Myles, getting down to business. “Where’s Blaine and Jackie?”
“The last time I saw them they went out the back door of the store.”
I ran my fingers through my hair thinking about how we were going to find them just as they came walking through the door, Blaine covered in blood. Apparently one of the mutants had followed them and they had taken care of it.
“Hey are you okay Sky?” Blaine asked me.
I ignored him and asked the group, “Is everybody okay? Nobody got hurt or bit or anything?” I saw everybody shake their heads. “Alright, let’s get out of here then before somebody decides to do something stupid again,” I said glaring at Damien. I was beyond pissed with him. He is always doing things like that.
They nodded to me again and we began making our way back through the disheveled store and to the back room. I made my way to the front of the line and asked, “Ready Damien?” Even though I was pissed at him, we needed him for this part. When I got no response I turned around to see him smirking at me. “You can get up there yourself you’re not incapable,” he said.
“Are you kidding me?” I’m not that short, but I am kinda short. I’m only five foot five, I couldn’t get on top of the freezer by myself; he always helped us all up. And I couldn’t believe he wasn’t helping me all because of what happened back in the store.
“I’ll help you,” Blaine said walking up next to me. He was one of the nicest and most helpful guys I had ever met, even before the world went all to s***. We also needed him in our group, he had been a med student. He looked at me sincerely with his big blue eyes and laced his hands together for me to step on. Good thing Damien wasn’t the only stronger guy we had on our team. I stepped up onto his hand and he boosted me up to the top of the freezer. I pushed the panel from the ceiling up to the top of the roof and boosted myself up out the top and onto the roof. Blaine climbed up to the freezer himself and helped up his girlfriend Jackie and then Callie and lastly Lacey. I helped them up to the top of the ceiling and then all of the boys helped themselves all the way up.
I stuck the panel back where it belonged and went to the edge of the rooftop and peered over. I looked all around and saw no mutants in sight. I signaled for everyone to follow me and we made our way over to our makeshift catwalk. Our catwalk consisted of a ladder with plywood over the top that got us from rooftop to rooftop. Good thing the buildings in this rundown Wisconsin town were close together. We began walking silently from building to building being weary of our every move. Eventually, our path stopped and we had to climb down an emergency ladder to the abandoned street below. I checked behind me to make sure everyone was still with me and I saw that Jackie was still standing at the top of the building with her hands on her hips.
“What are you waiting for?” I whispered loudly up to her.
“I’m done going down these grimy, slimy, nasty things,” she called down with her tongue piercing shining in the light. I held my finger to my lips to quiet her down. How could you still act all high maintenance when you’re in the middle of surviving? Ever since her and Blaine have joined the group, she has always been the model type with her perfect long brown hair, perfect body and bright blue eyes. I always wondered how Blaine ended up with her, they were absolutely nothing alike; he could’ve done much better.
“You have to! You don’t have much of a choice. We will leave you here.”
“Blaine will stay with me and help me find a different way down.”
I turned to look at Blaine just as he called up to her, “You’re on your own babe.”
She rolled her eyes and made her way slowly down the ladder and smacked Blaine when she was on the ground. “You asshole, you’d leave me here?!”
“I got you down didn’t I?” He asked her sincerely.
She rolled her eyes and went back to stand with Lacey leaving Blaine for himself. He shrugged his shoulders before everyone turned their attention back to me.
“Seriously? Has everybody completely forgotten the seriousness of our situation in the world that we’re worried about grimy ladders and killing everything in sight?”
“I haven’t!” My brother called from the back of the group, holding his arm up. My brother isn’t even really an adult yet; he’s only seventeen but he’s growing up fast standing at six foot. Nobody can help but love my brother with his big brown golden eyes and blonde shaggy hair. He knew how to lighten up the mood and would help anyone in need.
“Well we all really need to start worrying more about surviving and less about how our hair looks and killing everything in sight,” I retorted eyeing Damien first and then Jackie. She gave me a nasty look and I bit my tongue before I said anything else. We continued making our way through the damp, dark, creepy alley. We kept our backs to the wall and silently crept to the end and slipped through the door. Once we were all inside, I slid the huge metal lock across the door and back into place. Home sweet home.

SportsStar23 said...
Jan. 3 at 11:43 pm:
Sorry, I only got to read the first chapter but from what I read, this is incredible. I love the way that you start off with some action to keep the reader hooked and the fact that you don't throw a whole bunch of information into the reader's face-- you let the reader adjust to whatever's going on in the story. So basically you showed and not told. Haha I don't even know if that makes sense but that's a pretty amazing thing to be capable of in my eyes.  Just from the ... (more »)

kcasey17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 12 at 10:39 pm :
Thank you very much and I hope that you have the time to finish reading it eventually (:

BrandalynBoothThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:44 am:
Hey! I didnt have time to read the whole thing but from what I read I think it sounds relly good! I read the summary and I think the story sounds promising (: Someday when I have time I plan to read over the whole thing! Good job

Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:56 pm :
Thank you very much (: and no rush

vegetariangirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think it is good. When I saw the word mutant, I was like OMG mutants, X-men, and tons of Marvel stuff!!.

Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm :
Thank you!

PaperArmageddon said...
Hey, this is really good! It's well written and I love the characters. Is this all there is or are you working on more of it? :)

Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:20 pm :
Thank you! No, this is far from all of it! There is a lot more to go. As I write a chapter, I add it onto here, so please just keep checking back and I will try to write faster to keep up with the readers (:

TheUtopianWriter replied...
Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm :
Take your time though :)

Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:21 am :
I am tryng my best to keep it at a good speed (: