Game Of Hearts

Author's note: i was bored and this is what helped me understand that i love to write.
Author's note: i was bored and this is what helped me understand that i love to write.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

The Meeting

Life is confusing. That’s all I have to say. But before I tell you poor little Anna’s sob story I should probably introduce myself. My name is Anna Key, I’m 18 years old, I have blond hair that is almost white, and my eyes are a deep blue. I live in a town called Hope. (Weird huh?) It’s on the north side of the Jorain Mountains we are surrounded by miles of forest so we are in the middle of nowhere, literally.
I really don’t know where to start. Hmm? How about the day I found out that I’m adopted?
I woke up to a bright light. I look around and notice I’m not in my warm bed, but lying on a pile of leaves in the middle of a forest. I stand up slowly. I feel a slight breeze on my legs and look down to see that I’m in different clothes to. At this I was a little miffed. Who had seen me nude? Yikes! Hopefully not a man! I felt my cheeks reddening so I shoved that thought aside. I started to inspect myself further. In the middle of my inspection I hear someone chuckle behind me. I whip around faster than thought humanly possible to see a boy about my age standing there with an amused look on his face. The first thing I noticed was his eyes, they were a gold color, and I searched my mind for what they reminded me of. Cat eyes. That’s what they looked like. I was sure. I take a step back and he takes a step towards me. I take another step back and yet again he follows. We continued this strange little dance until I felt the rough bark of a tree press up against my back, yet he doesn’t stop. When he’s about three feet away I say “Stop!”
“Why?” he asks still slowly advancing. “Don’t you know who I am?”
“No, all I know is that I’m in a strange place, with strange clothes on, with a strange boy, who at the moment is getting very close.” I said, eyeing him.
He chuckles but stops about a foot away. “Better?” he asks with an amused tone.
“No, I still don’t know what’s going on or who you are or even who changed me into these clothes. Wait it wasn’t you was it?!” I asked him warily.
He grins and I forget what I asked him, I forget what I’m angry about, I forget my name, I forget everything.
“Not something we should talk about right now, but, if you really want to know who I am then I’ll tell you. I’m…..”
And I woke up. As I curse myself, I try to fall back asleep to no avail. Just then my mom knocks on the door and walks in with tears in her eyes and I forget almost entirely about my dream.
“Mom, what’s wrong?” I asked warily, afraid something had happened to dad or something. She sits on my bed as I sit up.
“I have something to tell you, and I have wanted to tell you this for so long but I just wasn’t able to. When I was pregnant with, well I told you it was you but it wasn’t. When I was pregnant I couldn’t tell but my baby died and we had absolutely no idea, so when I went into labor, something felt wrong. When, she, came out, well let’s just say,” She takes a deep breath of air and lets it out loudly “We adopted you to replace our dead baby” She says quickly, and before I have time to even open my mouth she pleads
“Please don’t hate me, I tried to tell you earlier but I just couldn’t”
I couldn’t think or say anything too much in shock, I just sat there staring at the back of her head. She stands up and murmurs
“I’ll let you adjust or… something”
I couldn’t even nod, I just sat there my mind starting to race, but I could only make out one thought in the jumble of my mind:
“So, I’m the wrong Key”
Then I passed out

I woke up to a gentle chuckle.
“I’m guessing you were tired?” he asked with an amused tone. I opened my eyes to look up into his beautiful golden ones. I notice that even though I’m looking up at him, I’m not laying on the ground. I look down to see that I’m draped across his knee while his hand was cupping the back of my neck supporting it, While his other arm was stretched across my chest holding my other arm, holding me to his chest. I whipped off his arm faster than thought possible and stood up and looked down at him with a look of disgust on my face. He looks up at me with worried eyes and asks,
“What’s wrong?”
As I feel the grimace slowly fade off my face I feel something wet on my cheek and I scrub away the tear but more follow until I couldn’t hold them back anymore. He stood and took me into his arms, gently but firmly, all the while crooning,
“Shh it’s ok your fine, its ok” over and over again.
I don’t know how long we stood like that but I didn’t care, too sad to care. Then I looked up at him and studied his features, his square jaw, his clear golden eyes that were staring into mine, unwaveringly, his shaggy brown hair, the smooth span of his forehead, and his slightly tanned neck and cheeks. Suddenly all I wanted was to get away from that place, from him, from everything. I pushed him away, not caring if he fell or not, and ran. Just ran. The trees were a blur. I fell heavily and forced myself up and kept running. I fell again but didn’t want to get back up so I rolled onto my back and stared at the starry night sky and felt the hot tears trickle into my hair, turning cold and tickling. As I looked up at the stars I thought but one thing,
“Nothing left for.”
And I fell asleep.
I woke up to him coughing; I opened my eyes to see him sitting next to me, looking into the forest. Seeing that he doesn’t know that I’m awake I study him again. And as I do I realize that he’s not wearing a shirt so I quickly look back up at his face and notice it looks like he had been sitting up all night.
“Protective huh?” I asked groggily.
He jumped and then looked down at me. He smiled sheepishly. “I guess” we both laughed but mine was more hysterical. He reaches out to me then hesitates
“May I?” he asks.
I shrugged “sure”
He reaches out and slowly brushes my hair out of my eyes, then stands and helps me up. As I let go of his hand I take a step back,
“Hey look, I’m sorry for, well you know, pushing you and all that crying.”
He smiled and said “It’s forgotten” then chuckles again, mainly to himself.
“Why do you laugh so much?” I blurted.
“I try to find humor in everything; it helps time go by faster than you think.”
I thought about that for a second then smiled up at him “I guess your right” then we both burst out laughing, we couldn’t seem to stop. When we finally did stop my sides ached and my eyes were streaming. We were both sitting on the ground. I wiped my eyes and looked at him and gave a shocked laugh. He stopped and said “What?”
I pointed to his head where it looked like he had a miniature tree stuck there. He felt his head and groaned as he started to pick it out, muttering under his breath the entire time, but it was hard because he couldn’t see. He gave a frustrated sigh and turned to me
“Please?” He said, with a pleading look, pointing to his head.
I laughed and crawled over there and sat in front of him and started to pick it out. As I pulled out the last leaf I fell onto his lap and as I try to get up he pulls me back down so I’m sitting on his lap. So I lean back against his shoulder and sigh. He says,
“We were never properly introduced, I’m Faelyn”
“Anna” I say.
He chuckles “Short for anything?”
“Yes” I laughed.
He raised an eyebrow, something I never could but always wanted to do “Well do I get to know?” he asked, with an amused tone.
“I guess” I sighed with mock reluctance “its short for Annabella”
He looked down thoughtfully and murmured “Annabella” then looked at me and said “I like it”
“Ok if you say so” I laughed at him and then snuggled up closer to him, it was getting cold. He looked at the sky and grinned,
“A storms coming” he said with excitement. I looked up but shouldn’t have, a big, fat raindrop landed right on my eye. I could feel him shaking with silent laughter. I turned around and smacked him playfully on the arm. He growled at me, smiling. I stood up and started running, knowing he could keep up. I heard him laugh and then start to run. I could hear him pull up beside me and as I looked over he gave me a wicked grin. He reached out to grab my arm, but I dodged away, threw my head back and laughed, then put on an extra burst of speed and left him faltering behind. I turned around just in time to see him turn off into the trees and disappear. I stopped and looked around. “Faelyn? Where did you go?” I called
Then all of a sudden something knocked me forward from behind. We rolled down the hill, him holding me tight. When we finally hit the bottom I tried to stand but couldn’t because I was to dizzy and so I fell back on top of Faelyn. He was breathing hard. I turned around to see a sight that made me laugh. His hair now looked shaggier than ever, his face was all dirty and he was spitting dirt, leaves and god-knows-what-else out of his mouth. I started laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe. He looked at me and rolled his eyes, “You think I look bad? Ha, you should see yourself!” he said, still spitting dirt, mock annoyance coloring every word. I stopped laughing at this and said “Oh no you’re NOT going to ruin this for me, oh god I wish I had my camera!”
He threw me a look that I didn’t quite catch, it looked something like annoyance.
“Really? That bad?” he asked.
I stopped laughing long enough to confirm it “That bad”
He stands and runs his hands through his hair and sighs. “It’s amazing; everything that you consider fun always ends up in disaster”
I looked up at him, “Disaster?”
He doesn’t say anything just points to his head.
“Oh” then I started laughing again and he gave a lopsided grin. As I look around I notice that the storm is still going on strong and with every minute it continues, the more I want to run, to frolic, and dance, to act like a little kid again.
“Why do I feel like this? I mean, I’ve always loved a good storm but this is different.”
“Our kind loves storms” he said like I should already know.
“Our kind? Please explain ‘our kind’”
“A subject for a later date right now we need to enjoy the rest of the storm” I narrowed my eyes and said
“Fine but you WILL tell me”
“Later” he promised
Then it was my turn to catch up, I could hear his laugh echo up ahead. I could see him up ahead and as I caught up to him, I gave a wicked grin and put on a burst of speed and left him faltering behind. As he caught up I turned off to my right as disappeared, like he did before. I hid up in a fir tree about three meters away and watched him look for me, laughing silently the entire time. Finally, he started to look worried so I jumped down, silently absorbing the shock on the balls of my feet, and walked up behind him and yelled,
“BOO!!”
He gave a startled yelp and spun around but in the process, tripped and fell on his rump with a very shocked look on his face and then it was my turn to fall, but this time it was with laughter. He looked at me, disbelief as plain as day on his face.
“How…? How did you…?” he stammered.
“What? How did I what?” I asked him surprised.
“How did you sneak up behind me like that?!”
“Well it was easy really, I hid in that fir over there” I pointed it out and he looked d at it like it was glowing “and I jumped out of it and walked up behind you and-“
“Yes, yes but how come I didn’t hear you?” he cut me off.
“Well I don’t know, maybe your hearing isn’t as good as you think?”
“Nonsense, that’s preposterous!”
“Ok Mr. Smarty-pants, what do you think?” I asked, getting frustrated now.
“Honestly, I don’t know.” He said sounding scared.
And just like that my anger evaporated. I walked up to him and put one hand on his shoulder, and using my other hand I made him look me in the eyes,
“Do not be afraid Faelyn, we will figure this out, together”
He looked me in the eyes and did not speak for a minute.
“Together” he finally agreed.
We started to walk into the forest and I asked him
“Is this a dream? Because if it is, then I prefer this over reality.”
He laughed, which was my goal in the first place
“No this is not a dream but it’s not reality either” then all of a sudden “Pffffffffffttttt!!!!!!” I looked at him, startled then jumped away with a squeal, a weird cat-like thing was sitting on Faelyn’s head, with its tail in his mouth while he was trying to spit fur out of his mouth at the same time,
“Get off me stupid thing!!” he yelled (quite to loud if you ask me) and it jumped off his head and sat down on its haunches with its tail wrapped around its legs. It looked up at me and said,
“So you found another lady friend Fae? Classic Fae, ha-ha always the lady’s man huh?” In a very high pitched voice. I squealed and backed up quickly, and tripped and fell and the creature stats to laugh at me. Then I thought for some random reason, I’ll have to talk to him about ‘lady’s man’.
“Well, it’s a klutz this time huh?” the thing said, and laughed again.
“Oh, shut up Jeron, that’s not nice” he said to it angrily. Then looked at me, apologetic “Sorry about him, he’s a grouch”
“Rouch, get it right Fae”
“Whatever, but they still aren’t known for their nice attitude or wonderful manners”
“Uh-huh ok” I said, still staring at the thing, still terrified.
“Oh, stop looking at me like that; please it’s kind of creepy.”
I looked at Faelyn with big eyes. “I’m the one creepy one?” He started to laugh!
“W-W-What is going on here? And what is that!?” I squeaked.
He squatted down next to me and took my hands in his and looked me in the eyes.
“It’s ok; he couldn’t hurt a fly, even if he wanted to”
“That’s true” Jeron piped up.
Faelyn turned around and told him “Shut up.”
“Ok sorry”
It was still not enough to convince me and Faelyn saw this in my eyes so he told me
“I’m serious, he is a dying species because they literally are pretty much the most helpless creature in the forest, they have nothing to defend themselves with but their annoyingness, and most of the time that’s what gets them killed.”
“True” squeaked Jeron.
“How many times do I have to tell you? BE QUIET! You’re scaring her!”
Faelyn hissed to Jeron.
“Fine, fine alright sorry!”
Faelyn turned back to me and smiled,
“We’d better get back to camp or else there will be no more food left, and Mareana makes the best food ever”
At this I smiled, more running.
“So, where’s camp this time grouch?” he asked Jeron. Jeron sighed “I’ve told you a hundred times, I’m not a grouch, I’m a Rouch!”
“Ok whatever you say roach, so, where is camp”
“Gods, I hate you! It northwest of here about 14 miles.” Jeron said in an exasperated tone.
“Well that’s easy, let’s go grab some grub I’m betting you’re hungry?”
“Ravenous” I told him.
As we ran I asked Faelyn,
“I feel like a moron asking this but, what is that thing exactly?
As I pointed to Jeron, running up ahead.
He laughed, “It’s a Rouch, and he’s my servant, sort of” he told me
“How ‘sort of’?” I asked, curious.
“Well, a Rouch when it’s born it can do anything, it can walk it can run it can take care of its self. But it only needs one thing, blood and when you give it yours, it’s devoted to you for life.” He explained
I stopped running so abruptly that he had to run back to me. I looked at him, horrified,
“So you’re telling me that it’s a vampire cat?” I squeaked.
“No nothing like that, it only needs blood when its born and only a drop and its fine, but you can keep feeding it and it gets stronger and stronger until it doesn’t rely on your blood or any other food substance” he calmly explained.
“So he won’t suck me dry if I somehow insult him?” I asked warily, wanting to get this straight.
He laughed, “No, no, no, nothing like that, it has to be willingly, and you would need witnesses to prove it, if you gave it to him or her.”
“Oh” I said, feeling like a moron.
He smiled and started to run again. As I ran I thought about what other creatures were here, in this strange place. As if reading my mind he said,
“Don’t worry, there’s not that many animals that will bother you when you are with something as annoying as that” he pointed to Jeron.
I smiled and nodded. Then I gasped because all of a sudden there was people running alongside us, I looked at Faelyn and he looked so calm I thought I was seeing things. Then one brushed up against me and I knew they were real.
“Who are they?” I whispered to Faelyn.
“Oh just some scouts guarding the camp.” He said, completely unfazed and still running.
One of the scouts looked at me and smiled. I couldn’t help but smile back. Then he looked forward and started to slow, like the rest of them. As I slowed I noticed that it got lighter up ahead, as if a clearing was coming up ahead. Then we burst through the last of the brush.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »