She Susan java mask Begs | Teen Ink

She Susan java mask Begs

By m_alexis22, Mitchell, South Dakota
m_alexis22, Mitchell, South Dakota

Author's note: I was inspired to write this book because I wanted teenagers to know that they can still be a Christian amongst all society. This describes how you can be true to yourself and true to God wherever you go.

"Ding! Dong!" The bell rang, as I was just getting out of my boring social studies class. The hallway was full of students talking to their friends.

"It's only 9:40 a.m. and I already want to get out of this dirty place." I thought to myself. It was her junior year at Brooklyn High School. Getting away from the odd smells and dorks was something she looked forward to.

As she walked to her math class, she stopped at her best friend's locker. Olivia Olsen quickly hit 'send' then hid her phone into her boot as she noticed a teacher walking by.

I pointed to her backpack as I got closer and said, "Busted!"

Her face grew red as she looked up to see that it was just me, "Oh, hey Stella! What's up?"

I replied, "Nothing. Your coming to my sleepover tonight, aren't you?"

"Yeah. We'll talk later. GTG," she answered.

I watched her head for the Science classroom as I turned to get to Math. The bell rang as soon as I walked in the doorway.

"Put your planner on my desk then take your seat, Stella," Mr. Winston declared.

"Ugh." I sighed.

In math, I couldn't help but daydream about tonight. My mom had taken me to the store earlier this week to pick out snacks for tonight. This is why Fridays are my favorite day of the week. The best part about my sleepovers is when we get to play a prank on the one who falls asleep first.

"Stella," Mr. Winston said. My sister was kind enough to let me use her karaoke machine for tonight.

"Stella," Mr. Winston said again. Reality brought me back to life.

"Huh." I said.

I assumed he was asking me for an answer on our homework.

Mr. Winston said, "What is the answer to number nineteen?"

"Um..." I said quickly as I dug through my notebook trying to find the right assignment.

When I found the answer written at the bottom of the page, I blurted out, "Three elevenths."

He asked, "How did you get that?"

"I took twenty-four over eighty-eight divided by eight and got three over eleven." I answered.

"Very nice, Stella. Jack, what is the answer to number twenty?

By the time I got out of math and second block was over, I felt drained. I walked over to Bethany Brown's locker. We had been best friends ever since fourth grade.

She said, "Hey girlie!"

I smiled back and asked, "Do you want to go to gym together?"

She nodded as she shut her locker.

Bethany asked, "How is your day going so far?"

I replied, "Terrible. I just can wait for tonight. "

"Me neither," she replied. On the way into the locker room we were hit with a terrible stench.

I whined, "OMG, you've got to be kidding me! It's like they never clean these locker rooms!" Bethany plugged her nose.

After changing into my gym clothes, I headed for the gym. Bethany also went to the other gym where her class was meeting. I wish I was in the same class as her. Tons of people were high-fiving me. I guess it didn't really seem odd to me, considering the fact that I am always used to getting attention.

My gym teacher stood by her cart taking attendance. Her name was Miss Chatelle. She wore dorky, all-white tennis shoes with sweat pants that went up to her ankles. The shirt that she wore was obviously too small for her. I think she must have gotten that t-shirt when she has in high school. Miss Chatelle had red wire-rimmed glasses. Her hair was a dirty blond color that went down to her lower back. It looked like she had a greasy tint on her hair. She must have tried to look like a teenager since she put her hair in a really high ponytail. My guess is that she is probably in her mid forties.

When the bell rang, she hollered, "Alright class, why don't you run three warm-up laps. Then, sit back in your spots. Go! Go! Go!" I groaned as I stood up to run.

When all of the students were done running, Miss Chatelle said, "Nice job guys. Go get a drink to cool off." The water fountain was in the corner of the gym, so that didn't take long.

The teacher declared, "Today we'll be doing circuits. Everyone will need to get in groups of five. The first person will run three and a half laps. The next person will do abdominal exercises. The third person will lift the dumbbells on the floor by each mat. Then the fourth person will jump rope. Now, last but not least, the fifth person will do push-ups. Understood?"

Everyone nodded their heads, and got into groups of five.

"Uh...huh...uh...huh...uh...huh." I panted, as I lingered to the locker room after gym.

Bethany came in shortly after I did. She was all happy and cheery, but I was really exhausted and crabby. She could tell by the expression on my face, that it was not the time to start up a conversation.

I complained, "OMG! Does anybody wear deodorant these days?"

Bethany gasped, "Guess not! Ew!" We both plugged our noses as we walked past the rows of lockers, and out into the hallway.

I couldn't contain my excitement. It was already lunch time, which meant I would get to see my friends. My other best friend, Mickie Mansonberg was waiting for me at the lunch table. I assumed Olivia and Bethany would be joining us shortly. The lunch line was very short, which meant I didn't have to wait long.

"Hey, girl! How's your day so far? Are you excited for tonight?" I asked, sitting down at the table.

Mickie said, "Totally! I never thought it would be so hard trying to bottle up my excitement! It could probably burst out of me if I didn't hold it in!" We laughed at that.

"What's so funny?" Bethany and Olivia asked at the same time. They jinxed each other before I could answer.

"Oh nothing," Mickie and I said at the same time, with a smirk towards each other. We too, jinxed each other.

"So, about the sleepover tonight, why don't you guys just come straight home with me after school. My mom won't care. You guys are like her other daughters." I said.

"I will just text my mom after school. She won't mind." Olivia replied.

"Yeah, I'll just text my mom, too." Bethany declared.

"I will have to call my mom and ask her." Mickie said in a soft voice.

"Aw, c'mon Mickie. Just text her, she'll understand." I said.

"No, I'm pretty sure I will have to call her. Otherwise she might get worried." Mickie answered.

"Okay, whatever you say." I said with a ring to it.

"OMG! Did you see Tony's new haircut?" Bethany asked, trying to change the subject.

"No! Is it bad!?" Olivia exclaimed.

"Yes! It makes him look totally bald." Bethany replied.

"Oh my goodness! A junior in high school is not supposed to look bald!" Mickie said, trying to join in on the conversation.

"Did any of you hear about the little incident during first period?" I asked.

"No, what happened?" Olivia responded.

"Well, rumor has it, that three dorky girls were sent home because of their wardrobe." I replied.

"What do you mean by 'wardrobe'?" Bethany asked.

"Their outfits were too revealing. How's that for stepping out of your comfort zone?" I said.

"You know, I probably have some clothes that would be considered inappropriate at school. I wear them in the summer, but not at school when teachers are around me! Our school dress code is way to strict. How can carrying a purse around in school be harmful? I mean it's not like we would hide a pistol in it!" Olivia said.

"I know what it's like, girlie." Mickie replied.

"Me too." Bethany and I said at the same time.

"Jinx!" Bethany exclaimed, before I found the right word to say.

I hated getting in those little arguments with Stella. They happened too frequently. All I had to do is ask my mom if I can go with Stella right after school. Is that even argument material?

When lunch ended, all of the juniors piled into the hallway. Everyone didn't want to be late for their next class, so a lot of people were shoving. I stepped out of the rush when I was getting near my locker. Stella's locker was just a couple lockers down from mine. I saw her grab her phone and send a quick message to somebody before anyone saw her. She was probably texting Olivia. My mom never let's me turn my phone on in school. I could turn it on without her knowing, but then on second thought, I wouldn't disobey her like that.

I cleared my throat so I would sound like a teacher, "Stella, what do you think your doing?" She looked up with innocent eyes as if it really was a teacher talking to her.

When she saw that it was just me smiling back at her, she sighed, "Very funny Mickie. I scared Olivia like that earlier today, too."

"What's your next class?" I asked.

"English, you?"

"Math. Wish me luck."

"I will." Stella replied, as I headed towards Mrs. Glandoph's classroom.

Mrs. Glandoph has been the advanced math teacher for juniors for six years. She was tall and skinny. Her style was completely original. She wore a light purple sweater with a yellow, stylish tank top underneath. The jeans that she wore were a little tight in the thighs, but had flare at the bottom. She was wearing black flats with a black plastic bow on the toe. She had gorgeous, natural, light brown hair. Many of the girls were jealous of her appearance. I know that I want to have her style when I grow up.

The bell had rung, and Mrs. Glandoph walked into the classroom, shutting the door behind her. All of we, students, quieted down as soon as we saw her.

"Go ahead and get out your notes now." Miss Glandoph declared.Still, no one said any thing. The sound of people rustling through binders and notebooks filled the room. It was an awkward silence, but we were all used to it. I was nervous because we would be getting our tests back today, and I'm not so sure I did that well.

"We are going to look at your tests before digging into the lesson for today." Miss Glandoph said, as she started to pass back a thick set of tests.

I could feel beads of perspiration starting to form on my forehead. When she laid my test upside down on my desk, I flipped it over expecting the worst. My eyes saw a big ninety-four percent written in big red marker across the top. I can't believe I passed!

When we were done looking over our tests, she collected them and set them on her desk in the corner of the room. The subject we were learning today is about trigonometry. I love learning new things like that.

"Mickie, can you tell us the definition of 'trigonometry'? We learned that yesterday, remember?" Miss Glandoph asked.

"Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relations between the angle and sides of spherical triangles or planes, and the calculations based on them." I replied.

"Very nice," she replied.

When math was over, I headed for my study hall classroom. Mrs. Benson was at her desk sipping her cup of coffee. She was my favorite teacher out of all the teachers I had. Not only is she my study hall teacher, but she is also my English teacher. The other boys in my class started to pile in the room, one by one. Olivia walked in after them, and was followed in by some other girls. She sat down at the table next to mine. Mrs. Benson says only one person per table, even though the tables seat two.

"I have nothing to do, because I already got my homework done." I said.

"Lucky! I have have science and math homework." Olivia complained.

We sat down and started working on our homework. Since I didn't have any homework, I just decided to read. Mrs. Benson was already taking attendance as soon as the bell rang.

"Alright, welcome to my study hall. As you all know, it must remain silent in here. Study hall will be changing as of now. We, teachers, are not allowed to let you put your stuff away in your locker before the bell. Also, if you are going to a teacher, you must have your planner signed when you leave the classroom and when you come back to the classroom. And no more going to your locker five times to get things. Bathrooms will also not be allowed. The rules are being set because students tend to wander in the hallway for no reason, and then more and more students join them." Mrs. Benson declared.

I raised my hand, "So, does this mean that we can't go to the bathroom at all? Or can we still go if we have to."

"Um... I will only let you guys go to the bathroom if you have to go really bad." Mrs. Benson replied. With that being said, she went to go sit back down at her desk.

"OMG, who does that?" Olivia whispered to me.

I shrugged my shoulders trying not to get in trouble by talking. My hand quickly grabbed my water bottle, and I took a big gulp. Olivia went up to Mrs. Benson's desk with her planner all filled out, so all Mrs. Benson had to do was sign it.

"May I go to the bathroom?" I heard Olivia ask. I looked over my shoulder to see our teacher hand over the planner to Olivia in response.

As I walked into the bathroom, I smelled some perfume and immediately knew that Stella was also in the bathroom. I saw her looking at herself in the mirror.

She was fixing her hair, "Oh, hey girl!"

"Hey, so what do you think about these knew study hall rules?" I asked.

"I hate them!"

"Me too."

"Me three." Bethany said, walking in.

"Well, as long as we stay on the teachers good side, we can come to the bathroom as much as we want." Stella chuckled.

"True, but listen, I've got to get back to my classroom. Or else Mrs. Benson might get suspicious." I said.

"Yeah, me too. Whenever Mr. Winston gets mad, it ain't pretty. Especially when he teaches study hall, because that's when he is the most crabby." Bethany said.

"Alright." Stella agreed, as she followed me and Bethany out of the bathrooms. I got a drink before heading back to my classroom.

"What took you so long?" Mickie whispered, as I sat back down in my chair.

"Stella was in there, so we talked. Then Bethany walked in and we talked a little bit more." I responded.

She nodded in response before flipping to the next page in her book.

"Um... Olivia, do you have anything to do right now?" Mrs. Benson asked.

I nodded my head while I punched in a formula on my calculator.

"Mickie, do you have anything to do, now?" Mrs. Benson asked, turning towards Mickie.

"No, I'm just reading." Mickie replied.

"Can you run this down the hall to Mr. Winston's room for me?" Mrs. Benson.

"Sure." Mickie said, getting up from the table.

"Thank you." Mrs. Benson said, handing over an envelope.

I watched Mickie leave the classroom before trying to concentrate on my homework again. Getting distracted is something I'm really good at, unfortunately. When I turned around to see Mrs. Benson on her laptop, I quickly grabbed my phone out of my boot. I hid the phone underneath the table on my lap.

My inbox was empty, so I texted Stella, "Can't wait for tonight!" I waited a couple minutes for a response. Luckily my sound was off, or else I would have blown my cover.

The text from Stella read, "Me too! We should all go to the basketball game tonight."

I typed, "That would be fun! Who's playing?"

She texted back, "I'm not sure."

I punched in, "I can find out."

I picked up my school iPad and tapped the app that said 'mail'. Then, I emailed Tony on the basketball team, and asked who they played tonight. A couple minutes later, I got a response from him.

It read, "We play Albany Central. Why?"

I replied, "I just wanted to know, because Stella, Bethany, Mickie, and I might go."

He answered, "Cool."

I turned around again to see if Mrs. Benson was distracted. This time, she was correcting papers.

I pulled out my phone and texted Stella, "Tony said that they play Albany Central."

"What are you doing?!" I looked up to see Mickie staring at me, expecting an answer.

"Texting Stella." I said.

"What's she saying?"

"Oh nothing. She was wondering if we should go to the basketball game tonight. I thought it was a good idea."

"Yeah, that's sounds like fun. Who's playing?"

I looked to see if Mrs. Benson had heard us at all. She continued to correct papers.

"Albany Central is coming here to play." I responded.

"Awesome, I can't wait for the game! Afterwards, we should all go get frozen yogurt from Pink Berry!" Mickie exclaimed.

"Or, we could get some fish tacos from Rubio's!" I suggested.

"All this talk about food makes me hungry! In And Out Burger also sounds really good!" Mickie said.

"My stomach is growling so much!" I complained.

When the bell rang, I left my stuff at my table, because my next class was with Mrs. Benson. I went out into the hallway to get a drink from the water fountain. It was nice to get out of a deadly, quiet room. I passed Bethany's locker on my way back to Mrs. Benson's classroom. She was putting a couple of books back on the top shelf. I tapped her shoulder as I walked by and she looked behind her to see me smiling back at her. When I turned to watch where I was going, I almost ran into the person in front me. As soon as I sat down in my chair, back in Mrs. Benson's classroom. I heard the bell ring.

"Alright class, get out your assignment that was due today, and we will go ahead and correct it." Mrs. Benson declared. The only sound in the room was the sound of teenagers rustling through their binders.

After the bell rang, the hallway was full of teenagers talking, and lockers opening and shutting. Everyone was so glad that it was Friday, and school had just ended. I threw all my stuff in my backpack, and went to meet Mickie at her locker.

"Hey, Mickie!" I exclaimed.

"Hey, Bethany! Did you know we are all going to the game?" Mickie said.

"No, I didn't know that. Who's playing?"

"Albany Central is coming here to play."

"Oh, cool."

"Let's go to Olivia's locker." Mickie suggested, shutting her locker.

"I'm so glad we have Monday off. We'll have a three day weekend." I said.

"Oh yeah, I forgot that we had Monday off." Mickie responded.

When we arrived at Olivia's locker, she wasn't there. She couldn't be in Mrs. Benson's room still.

"Maybe she is at Stella's locker." I suggested. Mickie and I ventured towards the other end of the hallway. When we got closer to Stella's locker, we saw her gathering up her things, so she could put them in her backpack. Olivia was leaning on the locker next to Stella's. When Stella shut her locker, she turned around to see Mickie and I getting closer.

"Hey, girls! I assume you guys know about the game tonight?" Stella said.

"Yep!" Mickie and I said at the same time. We jinxed each other, and of course, I won, so she owes me a soda.

"Mickie, did you call your mom yet?" Stella asked.

"No, but I'll call her now." Mickie replied, getting out her phone.

"I still have to text my mom." I said, tapping the 'messages' app on my iPhone.

"I emailed my mom in English, and she said I can go straight to your house." Olivia said.

"Great! Did your mom respond, Bethany?" Stella said.

I replied, "Yes, she said it's fine."

"My mom said it was okay, too." Mickie said, tapping the 'end call' button on her phone.

"Alright, well let's go. Do you guys just want to drive to my house, or would you rather just all come in my car and we can pick up your cars later?"

"I'll drive to your house." Mickie said.

"My car is in the shop, so could I just ride with you, Stella?" Olivia asked.

"Yeah, of course." Stella replied.

"I can drive to your house, too." I said.

"Okay meet you guys there." Stella said, opening the school doors.

"Bye." I said, waving to Stella and Olivia as they headed for Stella's car. Mickie and I walked to our cars in silence. We parked fairly close to each other. I put my black, fuzzy hat on, before shoving my hands into my pockets. The bitter cold was bone chilling. I waved to Mickie before getting in my car. As soon as the ignition turned on, I flipped my heated seat on. Once the car was actually warm, I backed out of the parking lot. On my way to Stella's house, I stopped by my parents's coffee shop. Along the back wall of the coffee shop, was a drive thru. I put my car in 'park' once I got to the window.

My mom slid the window open, "Hey, hon. What kind of drink are you going to have?"

"Hey, mom! I'm just on my way to Stella's and decided to stop and get a drink. Can I get a medium sugar free white chocolate, caramel latte with two shots for Mickie, a large snickers latte with two shots for Stella, a large root beer Italian cream soda for Olivia, and a large dirty chai with two shots for Me?" I said.

"I better get started then. How was school," she responded.

"Good, I'm sure glad it's Friday!" I replied.

"Hey, I'm going to shut this window, because I have to froth more milk, and it will be loud," she replied, closing the window.

A couple minutes later, I heard the window slide open, and I rolled my car window down.

"Here are your drinks. I put their your names on the lids, so you know which drink is which." My mom said, handing a cardboard drink carrier out the window.

"Thanks mom." I replied, putting the drink carrier on the seat next to me.

"Bye Bethany. I love you," she said.

"Bye Mom. I love you, too." I replied, driving away.

By the time I got to Stella's house, they were all wondering what took me so long. When they saw the drink carrier in my hand, they knew where I went.

"My mom said your names are on the lids. Stella, I got you a snickers latte with two shots. Olivia, I got you a root beer Italian cream soda. Mickie, I got you a sugar free white chocolate, caramel latte with two shots. For me, I got a dirty chai with two shots."

"Thanks, Bethany!" Olivia, Stella, and Mickie said at the same time. They all jinxed each other before they burst out laughing. I couldn't help but laugh, either.

It was 4:07 p.m and we were already getting ready for the game. Stella's parents would be home from work in about half an hour. Stella plugged in the straightener, the curler, the rollers, and the crimper.

"Stella can I borrow one of your shirts and a pair of jeans?" I asked.

"Sure, help yourself." Stella replied, motioning to the closet.

I picked out a nice, blue long-sleeve shirt. Stella's scarves were white, black, yellow, red, and pink. Since it would match better, I decided to wear the white scarf. I picked out a pair of brown flats to wear with my outfit. Olivia was going to wear a black long-sleeve shirt with a pink scarf, and jeans. She too, was going to wear flats, but they would be black. Mickie was planning on wearing a white short-sleeve shirt with a black scarf, and jeans. She was going to wear black boots with her outfit. Stella was going to wear jeans and a pink short-sleeve shirt with a black scarf. She was going to wear silver, sparkly boots.

"I'm going to turn on some music, if that's okay." Stella said. The radio was playing, "We Are Never Getting Back Together," by Taylor Swift. A couple minutes later, we were all singing to the top of our lungs,

"We are never ever ever getting back together
We are never ever ever getting back together
You go talk to your friends talk
To my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever ever ever getting back together

We, oooh, oooh, not back together, we
Oh, getting back together

You go talk to your friends talk
To my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever ever ever getting back together."

When the song ended, we all started to do our hair and make up. I was going to use the rollers on my hair. Stella was going to crimp her hair. Mickie was going to use the curler on her hair. Olivia was going to straighten her hair. While the rollers were in my hair, I decided to put on some make up before I took them out. After I applied the BareMinerals blush to my face, I put on some mascara. Stella, Mickie, and Olivia all did the same, once I was done. My favorite part about putting rollers in hair, is that when I take them out, my curls just keep bouncing in a perfect spiral. I applied some shiny, pink lip gloss to my lips, before stepping back to look at myself in the full length mirror. Stella, Mickie, and Olivia were all ready, too. It was 5:28 p.m, and we were just getting ready to leave for the game, when, "What Makes You Beautiful," by One Direction came out of the iHome. Again, we sang so loud,

"You're insecure
Don't know what for
You're turning heads when you walk through the door
Don't need make-up
To cover up
Being the way that you are is enough

Everyone else in the room can see it
Everyone else but you-ou-ou

Baby you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell
You don't know (oh,oh)
You don't know your beautiful!
If only you saw what I can see
You'd understand why I want you so desperately
Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe
You don't know (oh,oh)
You don't know your beautiful!
(oh,oh)
That's what makes you beautiful..."

"Oh, I love that song!" I exclaimed.

"Me too!" Mickie said, smiling. Stella and Olivia nodded.

"Alright, let's go!" Stella said, opening the door.

When the car finally warmed up, I turned the passengers heated seat on. Stella was driving, and Olivia and Mickie were in the back.

"We should get fish tacos from Rubio's now." I suggested.

"Yeah we should, because that sounds so good."Stella replied, turning in the direction of Rubio's. I turned the radio up to see if a good song was on. The radio was playing "Just The Way You Are," by Bruno Mars,

"Oh her eyes her eyes
Make the stars look like they're not shining
Her hair her hair falls perfectly without her trying

She's so beautiful
And I tell her everyday

Yeah I know I know
When I compliment her
She won't believe me
And it's so, it's so
Sad to think that she don't see what I see

But every time she asks me, "Do I look okay?"
I'll say...

When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
Cause your amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile
The whole world stops and stares for a while
Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are..."

When we arrived at Rubio's, I drove up to the drive thru.

"Can I get four fish tacos? Two plain, and two with guacamole." I asked.

"Anything else with that," the employee replied.

"No." I answered.

"Okay, your total will be six dollars and eighty-five cents. Please pull forward to the next window. Thank you," the employee said. I drove up to the next window and received our fish tacos. The yummy smell filled the car.

"They smell so good." Bethany said, opening the bag and handing one to everybody. I stopped at a red light and took a big bite. Mickie and I were the only ones that like guacamole on our fish tacos.

The light turned green, and I asked Bethany, "Can you hold this real quick?"

"Sure," she responded, with a mouth full of food.

"Fish tacos are my all-time favorite food!" Mickie exclaimed.

"You got that right!" Olivia responded.

Once we found a parking spot outside of the gymnasium, we finished our fish tacos.

"Ready to go?" I asked.

"Yep, c'mon." Mickie said, opening her door to get out. The rest of us followed her out. It was already dark out, and the temperature had dropped quite a few degrees. I buttoned a couple of the buttons on my black and white blazer. We all ran against the cold wind to get inside.

"I need four tickets." I said, stepping up to the counter. Bethany, Olivia, and Mickie each handed me ten dollars for their ticket.

"Forty dollars please," the teller said. I handed her the girls' money and an extra ten dollars for my ticket.

"Thank you," she said, motioning for us to move out of the long line.

"Hey, wait just a second. I'm going to get a water." Bethany said, walking towards the concessions stand. The rest of us followed her, because we could use a drink, too.

"Can I get a water?" Bethany asked.

"Sure, one dollar, please. Thank you," the lady at the counter said, trading Bethany her beverage for a one dollar bill.

"Can I get a cherry slushy?" Olivia asked, after Bethany stepped aside.

"Yep, four dollars please," the lady said, trading Olivia her beverage for a five dollar bill. She handed Olivia her change, before Olivia could walk away.

"I would like a blue raspberry slushy." Mickie said.

"Four dollars, please," the lady responded, trading Mickie her slushy for four, flimsy dollar bills.

"I need a Mountain Dew." I said.

"Two dollars and fifty cents," the lady answered, handing me my soda. I gave her a five dollar bill, and she gave me two dollars and fifty cents back.

Olivia, Mickie, and Bethany were waiting for me by the stairs that lead up to the seats. We all walked up the stairs together, and found a seat towards the top of the bleachers. When we sat down, the clock made a loud buzzing noise. That meant that the game would be starting right now. Five players from both teams walked onto the court. I'm guessing that the announcers already introduced the players. I was sitting in the middle of Mickie and Olivia, and Bethany was sitting on the other side of Mickie.

"This can't be happening. Are those really juniors playing for Albany Central? They're so tall, and really cute!" I exclaimed.

"Well, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, because the Albany Central team won't be here all night." Mickie said.

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone that handsome. Just look at their muscles! You can actually see them! Why can't Brooklyn have boys like that?" Olivia said, hearts forming in all of our eyes.

"I'm moving to Albany!" I exclaimed, with sarcasm in my tone.

The referee threw up the ball and Brooklyn got the jump. The players ran to our basket. Tony, the point guard, shouted out a play, and the guys all ran to different spots. He threw a chest pass to Drew, who was playing as a guard. Drew did a quick shot fake a dribbled past his defense. He shot the basketball into the hoop with a strong follow through. Two Albany Central players threw the ball in from out of bounds, while the rest of the players sprinted to the other end of the court. The only noise in the gymnasium was the sound of shoes squeaking on the gym floor, players communicating, people cheering, and coaches yelling. It was quieter up where we were sitting.

At halftime, the score was twenty-seven to fifteen. Brooklyn was winning.

"Lets go walk around." I suggested, standing up to stretch.

"Okay, and besides, I need some candy." Olivia said. Bethany and Mickie followed us. Once we got to the main area. We walked in a horizontal row, so we were all side by side. Olivia walked up to the concessions stand, while Mickey, Bethany, and I sat down at a table. We watched as a guy from Albany Central stepped up behind Olivia in line. I started to smile, thinking about what would happen next.

"Hi, can I get four packs of peanut butter M&Ms and a cherry slushy?" Olivia asked the lady at the counter.

"Sure, that will be six dollars all together, please," the lady said. She handed Olivia four packs of M&Ms. Then, she filled a plastic cup with cherry slush, and handed it to Olivia. I could tell that Olivia was struggling to hold it all as she walked away. She only got a couple steps, before tripping over the bottom of a post, that signaled where to get food. I gasped as I saw her fall. The guy who was behind her grabbed her arm gently and helped her stand up. They stepped out of the line, and her eyes started to get a little watery. Her slushy was all over her clothes.

"Are you okay?" I heard him ask, looking into her eyes.

She tucked a soft strand of hair behind her ear, before looking up, "Um, yeah. Thanks for helping me up." They both bent down to pick up the mess. She threw the sticky, slushy cup away.

He picked up the soggy M&M packets and asked, "Do you want to throw these away, too?"

She nodded, "Well so much for a slushy and M&Ms." He reached for some napkins on the counter, and handed some to her, so they could clean up the slush on the floor.

"Thanks for helping." Olivia said to him, throwing a handful of soggy napkins away.

"No problem," he said, turning towards the men's restroom to wash his hands. Olivia walked towards the woman's restroom to wash her hands as well.

When Olivia came out of the restrooms, she walked to the table and sat down.

"Olivia, did you think he was cute? It looked like he was totally checking you out." I mentioned.

"Well, he was kind of cute. I guess I didn't really pay any attention." Olivia responded.

"You should go talk to him." Mickie suggested, motioning to the concessions line, where he was now standing.

"No way!" Olivia said.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. The guy that helped me clean up my slushy was looking down at me. I stood up and walked away from the table, so he could talk to me.

"Hi..." I said hesitantly.

"Hey, I'm Preston," he said, holding out his hand.

"I'm Olivia." I said, shaking his hand.

"Oh, yeah, before I forget, I um... I bought you the slushy and M&Ms that you had before." Preston said, holding out a cherry slushy and four packs of peanut butter M&Ms. From the corner of my eye, I could see Stella, Bethany, and Mickie staring at Preston and I.

"You didn't have to do that." I said, sincerely.

"But I wanted to," he replied.

"Thank you. Let me set these down quick, before I drop them again." I said, taking the slushy and M&Ms hesitantly, and setting them on the table a few feet behind me.

"Sorry about your shirt... I would be pretty upset if I spilled something all over my shirt." He said, awkwardly.

"Oh it's okay. My friends and I probably won't stay any longer. I don't really want to stay and watch it in a sticky, stained shirt." I said.

"I don't blame you. Well, bye," he said, turning to go back and watch the game. I waved.

"So, Preston huh?" Stella said.

"Yeah, what about him?" I asked.

"He so likes you!" Mickie exclaimed.

"Stop! Can we just leave? I really need to change." I said to Stella, pointing to my stained shirt.

"Okay, we'll stop. And yes, we can leave now." Stella replied.

When we got in the car, Stella put the key in the ignition immediately. I handed Bethany, Mickie, and Stella their M&Ms, and took a big gulp of my slushy, before setting it in the cup holder. I ripped off a corner of my M&M package, and shoved it in my pocket. Stella started to venture back to her house. I ate my M&Ms, one by one. When I finished them, I flattened out the package, then folded it, so it would be as small as I could get it. Then, I flattened it again and looked at the writing. It looked like someone had written a message on there in marker, but who? I tried to read it in the dark, but failed. We were getting close to Stella's house, so I just decided to wait until we got inside, to read it. When we pulled up into the driveway, I grabbed my slushy, and ran inside to Stella's room. Her parents must have been sleeping, because all the lights were off.

"What's going on?" Mickie asked me.

"Someone wrote on this M&M package, and I'm trying to make out the words." I replied.

"This is just like what happens on the movies! I bet Preston wrote on the package!" Stella exclaimed.

"Would you just stop already? And I mean all of you." I said. The package read,

I enjoyed meeting you.
Hope you liked the M&Ms,
And the slushy.
-Preston

I couldn't believe this. On the other side of the package, was his number. Stella was right, this is just like the movies.

"What does it say?!" Bethany asked, curiously. Stella and Mickie stared at me, waiting for an answer.

"Awww!" Stella, Mickie, and Bethany said at the same time, after I read the empty M&M package.

"Well... Text him!" Stella exclaimed.

"I will later. Now, I'm going to change into my pajamas." I said, grabbing my pajamas and heading towards the bathroom.

When I walked back into Stella's room, I noticed that they had plugged her iPod into the iHome. It was playing, "As Long As You Love Me," by Justin Bieber. Again, we started to sing,

"As long as you love me
We could be starving
We could be homeless
We could be broke

As long as you love me
I'll be your platinum
I'll be your silver
I'll be your gold..."

When the song ended, Stella said, "Olivia, you have to text him, now. I can see it in your face."

"No I'm fine, really. And if I did text him, what would I even say?" I said.

"Just say that you got the note, and the conversation will go from there." Mickie suggested.

I looked at all of their serious faces, "Okay, fine. I'll text him."

Stella decided to pop in Pitch Perfect, so while we were all watching the movie, I started up a conversation with Preston.

"Hey, thanks for the note. I enjoyed meeting you, too!" I texted him. I waited a couple of minutes for a response.

"Is this Olivia?" He asked.

"Yes." I responded.

"Oh, thought so. I'm glad you got the note. So...um...what are you doing tomorrow?"

"Nothing that I know of. I will probably just hang out with my friends for the most part."

"When I saw them tonight, I thought your friends looked nice. Well, do you want to hang out tomorrow?"

"Yeah, they are pretty nice. Aren't you from Albany though?"

"Yes, but my friends and I are staying at my cousin's house for the weekend. There is a concert on Sunday a couple towns away, and that's what we came for. So can we hang out tomorrow?"

"Um...sure. I don't think my friends would mind. What time, and what should we do?"

"How about coffee at 3:00 p.m?"

"Awesome, I love coffee! Bye." I texted

"See you tomorrow." Preston replied.

"Hey...guess what?" I asked the girls, interrupting the movie.

"What?!" Stella, Mickie, and Bethany said at the same time. I turned the volume on the movie down.

"Preston asked if I wanted to have coffee with him tomorrow!" I exclaimed, smiling.

"Ah! Your kidding!" Stella screamed.

"Nope, he just asked me. We are going out at 3:00 p.m." I replied.

"I can't wait!" Bethany cheered.

"You do realize that he is only asking me?" I asked Bethany.

"Yeah, but we're just so happy for you!" Mickie answered.

"Thanks, I can't wait either." I said.