New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

It's October

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »

Chapter 6

On Tuesday, everything was in order except Maxi's parents who were groggy all week. They were careless and tired the whole time. They watched T.V. most of the time and apologized for not spending enough time with Maxi who was confused as well as relieved that they didn't remember anything from Friday night. During the week, Ollisa helped Tom and Maxi out in researching the curse, yet how they could break it remained a mystery. A lucky bit was that no one fell asleep watching television in the living room anymore, or got any cups of water to drink… from the kitchen.
One particular morning, Maxi woke up and just lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. She didn't go back to bed or got up. She just lay, feeling lucky. She lay like this until she heard the routine tap at her bedroom window. She poked her head out.
"I'll be out in a minute! I have to get dressed," she called.
"Don't rush," came Tom's sweet, sarcastic voice.
"I have to in my mother's sake!" she pulled her head back and went to her closet. Ollisa popped up and scared Maxi clean into the air and backwards 2 feet. "Don't do that!" She seethed.
"Sorry. I picked out your clothes for you." She gestured to a neatly folded pile on her bed. A blue shirt and a pair of
[34]
Periwinkle shorts. "I thought they looked cute… so I…" she let the sentence trail.
"Mom."
"I made a picnic…"
"Mom."
"And I even did a little cleaning."
"Mom!" Maxi hissed.
"Huh?" Ollisa was jerked out of her fantasy land. "Oh. Sorry, Maxi." There was another small tap at the window. Maxi pulled on the outfit, and climbed out the window. The ladder they installed was perfectly modified for sneaking out.

<><><><><><><><>
Maxi, Ollisa and Tom walked to the library slowly. The autumn breeze whisked a couple more leaves off the trees and their shadows were still long in the cool morning air.
"I know how the curse works, but I don't know how to break it." Ollisa said casually, sticking to the topic at hand. Maxi couldn't stand the surprise any longer.

[35]
"I know how to break the curse!" She blurted. Tom and Ollisa looked at her funny. It was a mix of confusion of whether to believe her, curiosity, and astonishment.
"You what?" Tom pried. They stopped.
"Well, at least I think I did. I thought about it while I was in bed this morning, and figured that if Ollisa was 18 when the curse was cast, which was 10 years ago, and since it was cast 10 years ago, the magic isn't as strong, and that made me think of Tom, who has strong muscles," Tom flexed his muscles for good measure. Ollisa giggled. "That made me think of love… you know, kissy, kissy goo-goo… So I thought that Ollisa that to break the spell, you have to kiss your first true love!"
"That only works in fairy-tales, though." Tom stated. "Think about it. We're 18, I don't think we should talk about it in public, but this is the 21'st century. There's love, and it's true, but this is reality. Open your eyes." Tom criticized.
"We could give it a try… My first true love… let's see… that would have to be your father, Sevrell."
"Okay, then. We're going to have to get Clara out of the house."