The Prisoner

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

The Discovery

The door creaked open. Slowly, Rebecca poked her head inside the room and nervously looked around. The rain fell through the roof, hitting a metal pail with constant, percussive plunks, each of which caused her to jump. The more she looked around, the more horrified she was by what she saw. The room appeared abandoned, but somehow she doubted that was the case. Despite the old barrels piled in the far corner, and the tattered, faded, appearance of the blue drapes on the windows, the room appeared too clean to have been unoccupied for the past decade, as everyone in the town believed. There were no dust piles in the corners, and cobwebs hung from neither the ceiling nor the simple pine table in the middle of the room. The moth-eaten flowered sofa was faded and the fabric was in shreds, but there were two spotless white sheets on the rickety iron bed.
“Is someone living here?” Rebecca remarked to herself.
“What’s wrong, Becca?” her sister Samantha inquired from outside, unable to fully hear what Rebecca had said.
Suddenly a door slammed shut, causing both girls to scream. Samantha immediately abandoned her dignity and took off running for the woods, with Rebecca right on her tail.
“Wait, wait!” Rebecca screamed, as the two girls came to a halt. “I lost my necklace!”
“Are you kidding me? There is no way we are going back there, we’ll get killed!” Samantha said, taking off again through the woods.
“But Sami, it’s the necklace Mom gave me!” Rebecca pleaded.
“You lost Mom’s locket? How could you! That’s the only thing left of hers that Dad hasn’t tried to sell!” Samantha groaned.
Pushing her sister aside, and fighting back tears, Samantha stormed off into the forest. Upset, Rebecca followed her sister through the forest, crying the whole way. As they approached the clearing, both girls noticeably sighed when they saw the familiar pine cabin, with its rusty brown door and its broken white shutters. Their small cabin on the outskirts of Aldridge, MT wasn’t much of a home these days, but at least they were safe from whatever creature inhabited that shack.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

Maddie said...
I liked it a lot, Julia. Good job!! :)