The Absence of Light

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7

Part 7

I’m sitting in my bed room and looking out my window right now; watching the darkness slowly swim away to make room for the day ahead (I believe most people call that “sunrise”). The moon is nowhere to be seen. The stars are being blown out one by one, like the candles on a birthday cake. But last night is still burning bright in my mind.
I think that the next time some “talks smack” (a phrase Marco taught me) about the night, I’ll share this story of last night with them. I’ll tell them; “My friends, you simply don’t understand! The night does not hide, it reveals! It does not confine, it liberates!” Because there are no chores to do at night, it’s still, calm, the perfect time to think, and there’s always a Northern Star to help you find your way.
Now, I’m not suggesting that we all become “creatures of the night” or something. I’m not suggesting that we all not get our 8 hours (there’s plenty of fantastic things that happen in one’s sleep as well). I’m merely suggesting that every once in a while, we all take one night away from our television screens and our electric blankets and our typical nightly routine to just sit, think, and see where the stars take us. One night to figure out who we are in the absence of light.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7