Tragic Parallel

Author's note: I hope people will think about the working's of a dark mind, of how our society puts a grave...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope people will think about the working's of a dark mind, of how our society puts a grave pressure on kids to uphold odd standards. I was inspired by the works of Fydor Dostoevsky and Gus van Sant.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next »

Premonitions

Another vile rush as his foot crashed, ever so deftly, upon the floor just inside the hall. Straight down, past the long monotonous row of lockers, first door to the right, his classroom awaited. His slid back and forth, bouncing from subject to subject. His mid was racing, swimming in an assortment of thoughts drowned by a constant blur of words, meaningless chatter cascading all around. Kids stood stupidly, like cattle in masses, blocking already choked hallways, yet ignorantly they rambled on. From behind, kids moaned about those ahead to be too slow, while those in front paid no attention, leaving the boy a victim between the two pestilences. A daring thrust, he clears the mob of students just barely, slipping into the classroom.
White walls. White walls, yellow pole-like bulbs behind ragged plastic sheets throw a pale light, reflecting on the white walls. Posters plaster these solemn confinements, cheesy slogans attack with a pseudo-optimistic barrage. To the child, these were more conformities, just as lifeless as (which he regrets to call them) his peers.
At the front of the room, commandeering a small, cluttered desk sat a young teacher, her face still warm from unbroken passion. It was in this face of tender beauty the child repressed his hatred. He saw the passion to change the world, passively, to make an imprint through knowledge and understanding. He was reminded of things he loved; people that made him smile; the ability to craft a mind. But that thought, coupled with his abhorrent desire to make an impact brought him back to his plan. Back to what could only truly make a difference. The time for passivism rested now, long deceased. Yet the time for aggression shone upon the horizon.
The boy took his seat.

CammyS said...
Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:57 am:
This was unbelievable. I can't believe you wrote this, for, as MayaS. says, your writing blows my mind. The characters sound so real, with distinct voices but yet both so real. One suggestion I can think of is for you to alternate the characters, do the emperor (I can't remember his name) at home, then Clayton at home. The emperor boarding the bus, Clayton boarding the bus. Also wouldn't everybody be in their classrooms at the time, instead of out in the halls? Amazing work, simply a... (more »)

Romanovich replied...
Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm :
Thank you, I appreciate it! As far as the perspectives go (the emperor is nameless) the original formatting was four pages for each perspective, each written straight with no chapters.  Then this site wanted me to split it into chapters, so I just took out snap shots capable of describing in one word.  That probably altered the way it reads quite a bit.

CammyS replied...
Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:30 am :
Ah, that does make more sense.

MayaS. said...
1st: Your writing blows my mind. 2nd: Your writing blows my mind. 3rd: Your writing blows my mind.