Rapunzel

Author's note: This started as an assignment for one of my college classes. The assignment was, take the story...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This started as an assignment for one of my college classes. The assignment was, take the story of Rapunzel and remix it however you'd like. So, I made a story. If it gets enough positive feedback, I'm thinking about adding to it and hopefully creating a full-blown novel out of it one day.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

4

And that’s how our days went for a few weeks. 602 came over around 10:30 in the morning, and we would walk around outside until 4, when I had to get home before Mother did at 4:45. Like clockwork.
Some days he would have to leave early and join the rebel forces, but that wasn’t too often. He didn’t really like talking about his work much. Every time we did, he seemed to get upset. Like the last time he look me to see the ocean.

“So, how much do you know about the Important Ones?” he had asked me.
“I don’t know. Not much I guess. Mother never really talks about them. But when she does, she says that They’re the only good left in the world, that whatever They do is for us.”
“Do you believe that?”
“It’s kind of hard to.”
“What do you mean.”
“It’s stupid.”
“No it’s not.” He looked at me with such sincerity that if he asked me to tear out my heart I probably would have.
“I don’t know.” I sighed. But he waited, expecting me to continue. “It’s just, sometimes I think she’s blind. I’ve seen it out here. I know how unhappy people are, how… poor, how… broken. I see the kids in the streets with no shoes, ragged clothing and shrunken faces. I hear them crying. I know this isn’t how it’s supposed to be.” I haven’t quite advertised it yet, but I had started making it a habit to fill my bag with extra food to give to those little kids. “Sometime I wonder, if the Important Ones really are trying to help, why do they keep us like this? I don’t know. Sometimes I wish Mother would actually let me out, so I didn’t have to sneak around. I feel like I could help make things better. Somehow.”
“I wish I wasn’t so restricted.”
“What do you mean restricted? You’re a rebel for crying out loud. You have no rules.”
“I have more than you know.” And just then, his buzzer beeped. “I have to go. I guess there’s this… I don’t know. ‘Key to Mankind’ we’re looking for, and someone thinks they have a lead. They think she’s near by.”
“She?”
“Yeah. As if the key of mankind is a person. Just one person.” He rolled his eyes.

It was only 1 o’clock today, and we were walking around of the occupied parts of the region, when 602’s pocket started talking.
“…is required… quarters… state… emergency… immediately!”
602 grabbed the buzzer and turned it off.
“New equipment?”
“Something like that. Look, my Fa… the rebels need me back. I have to take you home now.”
Something wasn’t wasn’t right, and I knew it. His face had gone pale and his eyes dull. There was an urgency in his voice that I’d never heard before. And it scared me. So without hesitation, I followed him.
But as I turned to go, something caught my eye. It was a random spot of color that was thrown onto one of the brown trees. The color was a picture. The picture simply said, MISSING under the image of a girl. The girl had long golden hair that seemed to shine against the brown. She was smiling, her white teeth radiating from the picture. But it wasn’t the girl’s golden hair or her white teeth that caught my attention. It was her name, spelled out above her head. RAPUNZEL the poster spelled.
But then I noticed her eyes.
Her metallic blue eyes.
My metallic blue eyes.