The Life of A Stranger | Teen Ink

The Life of A Stranger

By CreativeWriter2015 SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado
CreativeWriter2015 SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Be kind. Be smart. Be important." - The Help
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." -A Cinderella Story

Author's note: A class at my school, Creative Writing, inspired me to write this story. I have not finished but hope to finish it.

November 1st.

“Name dear,” said the woman whom was selling the 2000 square foot run-down business.
“Macy Jackson.”
“Oh yes, that’s right. Now, my dear, why do you want to buy this building? I could not get my travel agency business to pop up no matter how hard I tried. But maybe, since you’re young, you might have a greater chance, right?” said the woman.
This woman, whose name was Patty Loane, looked to be overweight with blue eyes, black hair and was eating a big lunch from McDonald’s. Even though Macy had met this woman just five days ago, she did not like her.

Macy said in a quiet, soft tone, “Um, I need a place to open a bakery. You know, with cakes and pastries?” The woman eyed Macy up, down, then back up again.

“BAKERY!” burst the woman, “You can’t be serious, but whatever you wanna do, you can have it. Then again, why would anyone want to buy this sugary stuff when there’s a café right next door?” The woman thought for a moment but didn’t say anything. Macy was about to speak when the woman said, “Here you go, my dear. You can take as long as you’d like to pay it off. Have a good one!”

Macy quickly nodded her head as the woman continued to speak about insurance policies and other payments, thanked the woman and scurried out her travel-agency-type-place. Macy was so excited that she sprinted over to Emi’s Café, where her best friend and her family owned the older place. Emily was sweeping inside her café when Macy came in, panting and all excited at once. Emily quickly directed Macy to a table and two chairs nearby, getting her a glass of water. Macy starred at the cup and then all of a sudden, her face was filled with excitement.

“Oh my god!” exclaimed Macy, “I…just….bought…the…place…next door!” Emily was a little confused so Macy explained on, “You know that one lady, Patty Loane? Well, she sold her old travel agency to me! Isn’t that awesome?!” Emily’s eyes widened as big as her eyes would go and shook her head in shock. She couldn’t believe that her best friend was going to open up a bakery right next to her little café! Just when the two calmed down enough to breath normal, Edward, Emily’s eldest of two sons, came out from behind the counter where he was mopping the floor. Edward shot a strange look at his mom then Macy asking, “What…is…going on here? Mom? Macy?” Edward was confused but Macy explained why the two were excited. Upon Edward’s face appeared a big smile, like a clown’s. “Wow,” was all he said.

The three managed to calm themselves in a period of time before Emily’s husband dropped by to see how things were going, with two other children tagging along. Emily and Robert Corb, her husband, have three kids: Edward (17), Max (13) and Isabelle (6). Emi’s Café was founded by Emily and Robert, named after a good friend, Emi Starch, passed away years ago. Emily and Robert and Emi were all good friends in high school, but when Emi Starch came down with brain cancer, there was no way to save her. The two remaining stayed and took the business upon them, knowing that Emi would’ve been very happy with the both of them. Even with busy lives, Emily and her family manage to include Macy and her dog, Mason, in as many activities as they can.

Four weeks had passed since Macy bought the old travel agency next to her best friend’s café, and she had started to move things in. Moving was tough, and Emily hired Macy an assistant even though she definitely insisted that she didn’t need any help. This assistant happened to be a 27 year old gay male, Henry Smuggs. She was told that he has been in and out of multiple cake businesses, busting tables and working in coffee shops. Macy decided to hire him after their first meeting. She was confident that he would be very helpful.

Robert and Max insisted that they could make a sign for Macy’s Bakery saying, “M.J.’s Sweets”. This very much helped because Robert was a contractor and Max was in training, wanting to follow in his dad’s footsteps but still has a ways to go being 13 years old and all.

“Henry! I need you for a sec!” called Macy as she was labeling her containers that would hold all ingredients to make her tasty treats.

“Coming!” announced Henry. He jogged up the stairs to where Macy was sitting on the floor in her office with a lot of containers floating around her. He guessed she was labeling. “Okay, what do you need help with,” Henry asked, slightly sweating. “I need you to set up the register and get stuff ready to sell tomorrow, we open. 9:30 AM.” She said. Then, “Make sure that you’re here at 7:00 AM so we can set everything up. Oh! And Emily’s family is also coming tomorrow morning to help out.”

“Okay…sounds great!” Henry said with a big smile on his face, reminding himself to let his friend’s know tonight when he meets them.

November 2nd.

The date, November 2nd, the bakery officially opened. Emily and her family came by to help out on their 1st day, even Isabelle tagged along. Outside the bakery, a line had started and Macy couldn’t wait to open the doors. At 9:07 AM, she couldn’t wait any longer so she motioned for Max to open the door, in which a mob of people scurried in. Macy’s eyes went wide as Henry looked like he was about to faint, mumbling that he’d never seen this many people enter a new place at once.

It was an overwhelming day, but Macy was happy. Right before they closed at 6:00 PM, a tall, green eyed, short black hair man walked into the bakery; Macy knew someone had come in because of the bell she put above the entrance. Macy nodded at Henry to hurry to grab food if this gentleman decided to buy something. This he did.
“Okay, sir, will that be all for you tonight?” asked Macy ringing up the order.
“Certainly, miss,” Said the gentleman.
“Can I get a name please?”
“Yes, Jonathan, Jonathan Hartly.”
“Thank you…Jonathan.”
Macy and Henry scurried about, gathering the order together as Jonathan Hartly claimed a seat in the corner of her bakery. Macy watched out of the corner of her eye. Henry noticed as well and wondered if he would be a regular customer. Macy took the opportunity to serve Jonathan Hartly his treats and drink. She slowly walked to where he was seated, and said in a calm, sweet voice, “Is there anything else I can get you sir?”
“No, I think that will be all,” said Jonathan, nicely. “But, thank you.” He said, smiling.
“Okay, then I will leave you to eat your treats and drink,” Macy turned to walk back in the direction of her kitchen.

But as she turned to leave, he touched her arm. Shivers ran up and down her body and she was startled. Turning around, Jonathan’s beautiful eyes reached hers and another shiver went up and down her body. Macy turned around, asking, “Yes?” She was in a daze. “Um, what time do you open tomorrow?” asked Jonathan. Macy jerked herself back to reality and said, “OH! Um 9:30 AM, same as today.”
“Thank you, um what’s your name?”
“Macy.”
“That is a lovely name. Thank you, Macy for this delicious food and tasteful drink.”
Macy said, “Your welcome.” And, walking away, her heart became filled with joy.

November 4th

The next day, Jonathan did not show up at 9:30 am when the bakery opened. Macy kept telling herself he would be there right before they closed. Today, November 3rd, a teenage girl walked into her bakery. Looking about 17 years old, Macy glanced up and wondered if the girl should've been in school by now. Henry, looking bored decided to go up to take the young girl's order, and smiled when she was done. He took her money and told her that he would bring her food to her.
"Can I get a name from you, miss?" asked Henry, patiently.
"Yes, Ria Harris." replied the young woman. "That is such a beautiful name, is it not?" Henry smiled and said. "I was named after my grandma, Ria Jackson." explained the young girl.

Macy, listening to their conversation, looked up at Ria Harris just as she said her grandma's name. 'That is my grandma's name!' thought Macy, suddenly questioned. Henry prepared the young girl's order but as he was about to exit the kitchen to take it to her, Macy whispered to Henry, "I think I'll take it to her. You can go on lunch break if you want." "Are you sure?" asked Henry," Because I don't mind at all." "Nope, that's alright, I've got it." Macy said, a little sternly. Henry handed her the tray of food, walked to the back of the store to put away his apron and grabbed his coat to head to lunch.

Macy strode up to Ria Harris and gently put her food tray down. She sat down across from the young woman and couldn't stop herself from saying, "I'm sorry, but I overheard you say, while talking to my assistant, that your grandma's name is Ria Jackson?" "Um, yeah?" Ria said, with a questionable look on her face. "That is my grandma's name." Macy said, staggering her words. "Oh my gosh, really? That is, like, unbelievable!" Ria exclaimed. The two eyed each other and Macy wondered if this was a long lost cousin because her grandma had told her there was someone else in her life. But she never said who. Macy started asking questions, "Who's your mother and father? Where do your parents live now? Did our grandma tell you about meeting someone too?" Too many questions came at Ria at once that she didn't know which one to answer first. "My mother's name is Stephanie Harris and my father's name is Derek Harris. I also have an eight year old brother, Jacob. My parents originated from Portland, Oregon. My grandma is my dad's mom. And my parents live with me, here in Sutherlin, Oregon. We just moved here because my dad just transferred from Texas, working as an assistant CEO member for AT&T phone company as well as my mom who works as a CEO assistant for Bank of America." said Ria. "Why?" she asked. Macy was surprised at this young girl's family. "Well," she started, "I am originally from Portland too, and my mom's name is Carol Jackson and my dad's name is Richard Jackson. My grandma is my dad's mom as well. I am 22 years old and own this bakery. My dad is the manager at the electric plant about 35 miles south from here. And my mom is a 4th grade elementary school teacher. I also have a brother, Michael - age 28 and is married with a wife and 1 kid." Macy tells the young teenager girl sitting across from her. "Well," said Ria alas, "It looks like grandma Ria's got some explaining to do." "Why, yes, I think you're right." said Macy.

As Ria finished up her lunch, the two talked about childhood memories or stories that their parents and grandma have also told. At 2:35 pm, Ria announces, "Oh my gosh, I have to pick up my brother in 25 minutes from Findley Elementary School." "OH my goodness, we have been talking for over 2 hours." exclaimed Macy. Then she said, "Wait, why aren't you in school, Ria?" "My parents work a lot so I do online classes to take care of my brother. I also have a job, but it doesn't pay much and my parents don't give me money for food or anything, in fact they've been gone for 12 days now, my mom in New York and my dad in Florida. You can kinda see why I'm desperate for a job." Ria said, getting a little teary-eyed. "Well, why don't you work her? At my bakery? You can help make goodies and tend to the cash register and help out my assistant, Henry. He was the man that did your order. And I can help take care of you and your little brother. Our hours at 9:30 am to 6:00 pm. And you can bring your brother by if you want, he can play with my dog, Mason, who is very friendly. How does that sound?" Macy asked. Ria was speechless. She was really happy that someone has stepped up to help her. "That would be wonderful, thank you so much!" Ria exclaimed. "Can I start tomorrow? I know it's a Saturday but I desperately need the money!" "Oh sure, that would be awesome. In fact, Henry has the day off tomorrow and I could definitely use an extra hand. You can bring Jacob and I'll bring Mason. I'm sure the two will be best friends with one another." Macy said, enthusiastically. "That sounds great! I will be here at 9:30! OH and by the way, thanks so much....Cousin Macy." Ria said, smiling.

On that note, Ria grabbed her coat and purse and slowly walked out to her car to go to pick Jacob up from school and take him home to do homework and get ready for soccer practice. At 2:55, Ria had parked in the visitor parking lot at the local high school in which she was taking online classes and stopped in to see the counselor. Remembering that Jacob had to stay after school to finish a science project, she could take as much time as she needed. Walking to the front office, students stared at her as the bell rang at 3 pm, announcing that school was out for the weekend. Ria walked into the office and asked to speak with the counselor to turn in homework she had been working on for about 2 weeks. The secretary offered to take her to the counselor's office and Ria agreed, even though she'd been to the school plenty of times to know her way around.