New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Life of A Stranger

Author's note: A class at my school, Creative Writing, inspired me to write this story. I have not finished but hope to finish it.
Author's note: A class at my school, Creative Writing, inspired me to write this story. I have not finished but hope to finish it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Getting Ready

“Name dear,” said the woman whom was selling the 2000 square foot run-down business.
“Macy Jackson.”
“Oh yes, that’s right. Now, my dear, why do you want to buy this building? I could not get my travel agency business to pop up no matter how hard I tried. But maybe, since you’re young, you might have a greater chance, right?” said the woman.
This woman, whose name was Patty Loane, looked to be overweight with blue eyes, black hair and was eating a big lunch from
November 1st.
McDonald’s. Even though Macy had met this woman just five days ago, she did not like her.
Macy said in a quiet, soft tone, “Um, I need a place to open a bakery. You know, with cakes and pastries?” The woman eyed Macy up, down, then back up again.
“BAKERY!” burst the woman, “You can’t be serious, but whatever you wanna do, you can have it. Then again, why would anyone want to buy this sugary stuff when there’s a café right next door?” The woman thought for a moment but didn’t say anything. Macy was about to speak when the woman said, “Here you go, my dear. You can take as long as you’d like to pay it off. Have a good one!”
Macy quickly nodded her head as the woman continued to speak about insurance policies and other payments, thanked the woman and scurried out her travel-agency-type-place. Macy was so excited that she sprinted over to Emi’s Café, where her best friend and her family owned the older place. Emily was sweeping inside her café when Macy came in, panting and all excited at once. Emily quickly directed Macy to a table and two chairs nearby, getting her a glass of water. Macy starred at the cup and then all of a sudden, her face was filled with excitement.
“Oh my god!” exclaimed Macy, “I…just….bought…the…place…next door!” Emily was a little confused so Macy explained on, “You know that one lady, Patty Loane? Well, she sold her old travel agency to me! Isn’t that awesome?!” Emily’s eyes widened as big as her eyes would go and shook her head in shock. She couldn’t believe that her best friend was going to open up a bakery right next to her little café! Just when the two calmed down enough to breath normal, Edward, Emily’s eldest of two sons, came out from behind the counter where he was mopping the floor. Edward shot a strange look at his mom then Macy asking, “What…is…going on here? Mom? Macy?” Edward was confused but Macy explained why the two were excited. Upon Edward’s face appeared a big smile, like a clown’s. “Wow,” was all he said.
The three managed to calm themselves in a period of time before Emily’s husband dropped by to see how things were going, with two other children tagging along. Emily and Robert Corb, her husband, have three kids: Edward (17), Max (13) and Isabelle (6). Emi’s Café was founded by Emily and Robert, named after a good friend, Emi Starch, passed away years ago. Emily and Robert and Emi were all good friends in high school, but when Emi Starch came down with brain cancer, there was no way to save her. The two remaining stayed and took the business upon them, knowing that Emi would’ve been very happy with the both of them. Even with busy lives, Emily and her family manage to include Macy and her dog, Mason, in as many activities as they can.
Four weeks had passed since Macy bought the old travel agency next to her best friend’s café, and she had started to move things in. Moving was tough, and Emily hired Macy an assistant even though she definitely insisted that she didn’t need any help. This assistant happened to be a 27 year old gay male, Henry Smuggs. She was told that he has been in and out of multiple cake businesses, busting tables and working in coffee shops. Macy decided to hire him after their first meeting. She was confident that he would be very helpful.
Robert and Max insisted that they could make a sign for Macy’s Bakery saying, “M.J.’s Sweets”. This very much helped because Robert was a contractor and Max was in training, wanting to follow in his dad’s footsteps but still has a ways to go being 13 years old and all.
“Henry! I need you for a sec!” called Macy as she was labeling her containers that would hold all ingredients to make her tasty treats.
“Coming!” announced Henry. He jogged up the stairs to where Macy was sitting on the floor in her office with a lot of containers floating around her. He guessed she was labeling. “Okay, what do you need help with,” Henry asked, slightly sweating. “I need you to set up the register and get stuff ready to sell tomorrow, we open. 9:30 AM.” She said. Then, “Make sure that you’re here at 7:00 AM so we can set everything up. Oh! And Emily’s family is also coming tomorrow morning to help out.”
“Okay…sounds great!” Henry said with a big smile on his face, reminding himself to let his friend’s know tonight when he meets them.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »