Superpowers: Malum

Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling it from the villain's point of view.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Next »

High School

On the first day, Erik tried not to stand out, which was hard. He remembered what Love told him. "Don't say anything unless someone asks you a direct question. Try to seem friendly. It's alright to get some questions wrong on purpose." All of it was very difficult for him. He was used to being the center of attention. Actually, he kind of liked being everyone's top priority.
In order to survive, organisms need to adapt to their surroundings, and that's just what he did. For the first few periods he did what the Girl told him by the letter. He even nodded, and took notes like he wasn't already an expert at what the "teacher" was already saying.
As soon as the bell rang, he had to stop himself from sprinting out the door. "No," he thought. "I can't draw attention to myself." So, he fast walked down the hallway, not nearly quick enough. Erik made his way down to the cafeteria, got a water, and headed outside. He then made his way over to Love and Josh's table. As he was sitting down, the big guy next to him, shoved him to the ground.
When he did, the football player shouted "The nerd table's over there!"
Love and Josh immediately rushed to his aid. "What the heck man? He's cool." Josh stood up and defended the alien king. Meanwhile, Love was comforting him. "Are you okay?"
When he figured out his mistake, he walked over the the kid he just shoved on the ground, and offered his hand. "My bad dude. Can I buy you something else?
Before Erik could answer, Love did it for him. "No, we're good. You've done enough." At hearing this, the football player looked down at his watch, mumbled something about being late for a make-up test, and was off. The Boy then got to his feet, and took his place at the table.
"I'm sorry Erik, he does that to people all the time, but I'm sure it won't happen again. Right?" she said, looking at Josh.
"Yea, right. I'll straighten him out later."
Then came the rain of questions. "Who are you?" "Where are you from?" "How do you like the city?' etc. He even got an invitation to the prom, which he sorrowfully had to decline. Aside from the first day, nothing was out of the ordinary at school. Talk about him being the newly adopted brother of the most popular girl in school quickly faded as juicier gossip arose to the surface.
Erik thought that life on Earth couldn't get more simple. His daily routine was to go to school, hang out with Josh and Love, and then play video games while Imperial City slept. On weekends, he would hang out with Love. They would go to the mall, and occasionally the movies. Josh was mysteriously absent during these times, but no one seemed to notice, or miss him. Not wanting to create new attention towards himself, he simply didn't mention it.
A couple days went by and he noticed that he had been showing up hours late for school, with make up covered scars and bruises. When he finally confronted him on it, he said that he got them during football practice. Of course, the alien king didn't believe the clear lie, but dismissed it anyways.
He was going to find out what Josh was up to sooner or later, and he was going to join him.

AnInklingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think that your plot seems very interesting (as I have just finished the first chapter), but it would be nice to have more description take place between actions. Instead of telling us that Love "did know why she was at the party" or "she went to the roof", it would be nice to see some description of her walking and the setting around the place. Other than that, I would say that the story seems a little bit jumpy and rushed in the writing. But I think that plot could be ver... (more »)

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:22 am:
Hey, EJ! It was a good story. Um, to give constructive criticism, I thought the beginning was a little unrealistic. Why would Love be so quick to act? I mean, if you saw a seventeen year old from another planet land on your roof, what would you do? I also thought it wasn't realistic because Josh let him in so easily. I didn't get the impression that he was the kind of guy who let his girlfriend take home an alien boy. And why did Josh have super powers but Love didn't? How did he get... (more »)

None0 said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:00 am:
I will give this novel the same suggestion I gave your other novel. However, there's another angle this novel needs work on, and that would be scene description. After reading through some of the chapters, I only found that the characters' thoughts were well conveyed. The scenes themselves were a bit sketchy, with only vague descriptions, and not much interaction.   I'd also comment on the content, but I'm getting a bit tired now. So I'll just say, good luck on your ... (more »)

applesauceHater said...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 1:35 am:
this story was so cute and quirky with awesome fight scenes! then the ending was sad:(great story though!!!

Labtopnerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:59 am :
Thanks! I was thinking about continuing the story from Typhoon's point of view. Sorry about the ending, but villains only rise from tragedy, so there had to be one.

applesauceHater replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm :
You should:3I would read it!!!