Superpowers: Malum

Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling it from the villain's point of view.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next »

Earth

"So you don't eat?" Was the last question of Love's painfully long interview with the alien king.
"Or sleep." The Boy completed.
"Okay, this might be a little hard to explain to people, but at least you'll have a lot of time to do homework." The Girl then remembered how he became fluent in another planet's language over night, and made half a million dollars while making breakfast. All while she was either sleeping or passed out. She looked back up at the super genius and caught herself. "Well, maybe just time to your thoughts, then."

When Love's mother returned, she let the Boy do all of the talking. He started off by telling her that he was some distant relative, who's parents sent him to spend his senior year in the city. While he was there, he said, they wanted him to get a job, and all expenses, including room and board, were covered. Thanks to his earlier encounter with the stock market, they really were. Somehow she believed him.
As celebration, Love took Viridi shopping. Like a little boy forced to pick out school clothes, he hated it, and was complaining within minutes. It got even worse when he had to go try on clothes.
"This is so degrading!" The Boy yelled as he walked out of the stall.
"Quit whining and turn around for me." Love said as she examined. This was almost a dream for her. Going shopping with seemingly unlimited money, while giving a boy a much needed makeover. From time to time, she needed to be reminded that she wasn't in heaven. Viridi quickly provided the reminder with his repining.
"Do humans always have to go and look for new clothes that they like, try them on, pay, then go to twenty other stores and do it over and over again? I mean, I used to have people just make me clothes, and every time, they would be perfect."
"Yes! Now shush, and try these on. They're called skinny jeans. I think they will look good on you."
"How are my legs supposed to fit in these! This seems like a very effective torture method." His protest was broken when Love simply pointed to the open stall behind him. As he went back into his torture chamber, he uttered one last sob. "I miss my robes. They were so roomy."
An our or two later, they were finally finished. The only thing left was to pay. The Boy carried the mountain of clothes to the register, while the Girl looked at some clothes that she liked. The young cashier leaned past the large stack, and asked: "Will this be all today?"
"Yea." He made his way over to a nearby chair, dragged it over to the small desk, and sat down. While the ten thousand articles of clothing were being rung up, the young girl, and Viridi began to chat.
"So I haven't seen you around here before. Do you go to school here?"
"No, I just moved." The Boy observed that the cashier was around his age, and thought it would be a good opportunity to see what was in store for him. "What school do you go to?"
"North Imperial High. You?"
That name rung a bell. That was the school him and Love would be attending, in just a couple of weeks. "No way, that's the same one I'm going to." Just then, the Girl walked up. Bless the Givers, no more clothes, the Boy thought.
"Veronica, no way! I didn't know you worked here!" And just like that, the conversation was handed off to her, and continued for a couple of minutes after everything was rung up and bagged.
As they turned to finally leave, Veronica reminded them about the one thing they forgot to cover. "Wait, I didn't catch your name."
"Viridi..." He glanced over, and found his new last name. "...Motorola"
"Oo Is that Italian."
He gave a short laugh. "Not exactly."
After they left, and were no longer within earshot of anyone important, Love expressed her concern.
"Crap, I forgot about your name. It'll attract too much attention."
"What's wrong with the one I just gave?"
"Your name's too foreign, and the last name "Motorola" combined with the money, people are going to think your parents own the phone company or something." There was a short pause, because the Boy was never sure when she was done talking, then finally he spoke.
"I've got it. Erik. Then I can just take your last name."
"Why Erik? And why do you want my last name?"
"Well in Nordic, Erik means leader, and you can just tell people that your mom had a mid-life crisis, and adopted me. That would explain why we live together, and it wouldn't be weird."
"Okay, I like it. Erik, it is then."
While the Boy was ringing up his new clothes, Love called Josh. It was probably good for him to hang out with a guy so he didn't go on a killer rampage. When he showed up, they all went to eat. Meanwhile, she told him all of the important details about the former king, and used her puppy dog eyes to persuade him to let Erik into his group of friends, initiation free.
"Erik, it's time for you to see the fun side of Earth, instead of the girly one. Personally, I'm surprised that you even survived three hours of clothes shopping. Now, my friend, I am going to introduce you to the world of video games."
It only took a free trial to get him addicted, after that, they got him everything he needed, and more. A console with a ridiculous amount of storage, five of the coolest controllers the store had, every decent video game there was, a headset, and of course the GameChair. When the Boy first tried it, he almost peed himself because he thought that he was actually being shot at.
When his closet was filled, and room decked out, there was nothing that could have proven that Erik Sumner was not just your average teenager, much less and alien king from a war torn planet. As night came, and there was no one left to talk to, he made his way over to the mirror across from his bed. He almost didn't recognize the person looking back at him.
He used to be Green, who would soon rule everything, now he was Erik Sumner, a high school senior. He sat down in the brand new GameChair, which drowned out most thoughts, but one. Everything he once loved was now dead.

This book has 6 comments. Post your own now!

AnInkling said...
I think that your plot seems very interesting (as I have just finished the first chapter), but it would be nice to have more description take place between actions. Instead of telling us that Love "did know why she was at the party" or "she went to the roof", it would be nice to see some description of her walking and the setting around the place. Other than that, I would say that the story seems a little bit jumpy and rushed in the writing. But I think that plot could be ver... (more »)

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:22 am
Hey, EJ! It was a good story. Um, to give constructive criticism, I thought the beginning was a little unrealistic. Why would Love be so quick to act? I mean, if you saw a seventeen year old from another planet land on your roof, what would you do? I also thought it wasn't realistic because Josh let him in so easily. I didn't get the impression that he was the kind of guy who let his girlfriend take home an alien boy. And why did Josh have super powers but Love didn't? How did he get... (more »)

None0 said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:00 am
I will give this novel the same suggestion I gave your other novel. However, there's another angle this novel needs work on, and that would be scene description. After reading through some of the chapters, I only found that the characters' thoughts were well conveyed. The scenes themselves were a bit sketchy, with only vague descriptions, and not much interaction.   I'd also comment on the content, but I'm getting a bit tired now. So I'll just say, good luck on your ... (more »)

applesauceHater said...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 1:35 am
this story was so cute and quirky with awesome fight scenes! then the ending was sad:(great story though!!!

Labtopnerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:59 am
Thanks! I was thinking about continuing the story from Typhoon's point of view. Sorry about the ending, but villains only rise from tragedy, so there had to be one.

applesauceHater replied...
You should:3I would read it!!!