Superpowers: Malum

Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling it from the villain's point of view.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

War

When she woke up, Love found a peculiar meal laid out before her. There was a peanut butter, jelly, and sausage breakfast sandwich, a pancake filled omelet, and a bowl of syrup covered Froot Loops.
"Well, what do you think?" said the now even stranger boy. He was seated at the opposite side of the table, with no food in front of him. How could he be asleep for an entire day, and not even be a little hungry? Finally, the Girl had to ask.
"Where are you from again?" She asked as politely as she could.
"I thought that you would know. You are a Giver after all."
Love was confused. "A what?"
"A Giver. That's what my father called your people."
"I still don't understand."
Viridi sighed. "Never mind. Could you just tell me where I am, please?"
"We're in Imperial City."
"Which is where, exactly?"
"Florida...?" The Boy shook his head.
"The United States of America?" Viridi just shrugged. "North America?" Now there was just a blank look on his face. "Earth?"
This time he got up out of his chair, and walked to the other end of the kitchen, all without breaking his stare at the floor. This girl had no idea what he was talking about. No answers. It all just didn't make sense. Thousands of questions bubbled inside his head, and not a single answer. He didn't like that. Not one bit.
"Wow, so you're an alien?" Love almost laughed in excitement.
"I guess so, and who names a planet after the ground when its mostly covered in water? That's just stupid." This was the first time anger arose in his voice. It was even starting to worry him, but the new emotion quickly washed it away.
"Sorry, I'm not in charge of who made the name."
"THEN WHO IS?!" The Boy turned, and his hand fled to his face to cover the silent tear streaming down it. Another hand arrived on his shoulder, and Viridi turned to find Love behind him, not frightened, but curious. "I'm sorry," He apologized. "Its just that this wasn't a very good time for this to happen."
"Do you want to talk about it?" This was the first time that he was asked if he wanted to speak, instead if he was listening.
"Okay, but you may need to sit down." They both returned to the table, and the mysterious visitor began reciting the history for the first time.
"War. That's the name of my planet, translated to English anyways. We call it that because that's all that has been going on since nearly the beginning of our recorded history. It wasn't always that way, though. Everything changed when the Givers came. Before, our people were all one, with no distinguishable differences. Just like the People, the land of War was the same. Even the temperature was the same from place to place. The Givers didn't like that, so they began to make everything the way it was on their home-world. First, they separated the land, and people into different continents. Each continent then received a different gift. The first continent was totally barren. No water, no trees. Because of this, they received great wealth. The Givers wanted to see who had money, and who didn't, so their eyes were changed gold. The second continent was mostly freshwater, so they gained the ability to breathe underwater. Again, they wanted to see who had which gift, so their eyes were left light blue. The third continent, mine, was densely forested, so we were given chlorophyl blood, to gain energy from the sun. Then the Givers changed our eyes green, to represent our blood. The last section didn't like what the Givers were doing. Before their land could be changed they killed "The Invaders". Their blood stained the last section's eyes red. This made them furious, so they took their victims' advanced weaponry, and destroyed everything else. Red then vowed to return the planet back to the way it was before the Givers came, and exterminate any humanoids against them. Of course, none of the continents would join the people who murdered their gods. Shortly after Red's proclamation, they destroyed Gold, and took both their land and money. In an effort to stop Red, we joined forces with Blue. Unfortunately, it didn't help. They were wiped out within a few weeks, thanks to the enemy's torpedoes. Then there was only Red and Green, and we've been fighting for the fate of War for over a millennia now." Viridi paused, and pointed to the torn green fabric in the corner of the room. "Those robes over there? They were for my crowning ceremony. My name means "leader" to my people, but I only got to live out my name for a few minutes before I was taken. I could have ended my continent's suffering. The fight was coming to an end. Red had surrounded us, but that was a part of my father's final strategy. After I was crowned, I was about to order the mission that would stop this once and for all, and restore the planet to the Givers' vision. Only my father and I knew what it was." After a long pause, he asked the question that had been on his mind since he woke up. "Can you take me back?"
Love couldn't look him in the eye. "No." As the word came out, she was starting to cry.
He knew that he couldn't, but he had to ask anyway. "Can anyone?"
This time, The Girl put her hands over his. "No."
The Boy sighed. "So what now? Do I get a job? What do I do? How do I blend in?"
"We'll figure it all out, but in the mean time, you can stay with me." He could see the lightbulb go on inside her head as she wiped the tears from her eyes and grinned. "One more thing, how old are you?"
"In Earth years, I calculated that I'm just a little over seventeen years old. Why?"
Love gave him a larger smile, and a hug, then began to type.

AnInklingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think that your plot seems very interesting (as I have just finished the first chapter), but it would be nice to have more description take place between actions. Instead of telling us that Love "did know why she was at the party" or "she went to the roof", it would be nice to see some description of her walking and the setting around the place. Other than that, I would say that the story seems a little bit jumpy and rushed in the writing. But I think that plot could be ver... (more »)

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:22 am:
Hey, EJ! It was a good story. Um, to give constructive criticism, I thought the beginning was a little unrealistic. Why would Love be so quick to act? I mean, if you saw a seventeen year old from another planet land on your roof, what would you do? I also thought it wasn't realistic because Josh let him in so easily. I didn't get the impression that he was the kind of guy who let his girlfriend take home an alien boy. And why did Josh have super powers but Love didn't? How did he get... (more »)

None0 said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:00 am:
I will give this novel the same suggestion I gave your other novel. However, there's another angle this novel needs work on, and that would be scene description. After reading through some of the chapters, I only found that the characters' thoughts were well conveyed. The scenes themselves were a bit sketchy, with only vague descriptions, and not much interaction.   I'd also comment on the content, but I'm getting a bit tired now. So I'll just say, good luck on your ... (more »)

applesauceHater said...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 1:35 am:
this story was so cute and quirky with awesome fight scenes! then the ending was sad:(great story though!!!

Labtopnerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:59 am :
Thanks! I was thinking about continuing the story from Typhoon's point of view. Sorry about the ending, but villains only rise from tragedy, so there had to be one.

applesauceHater replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm :
You should:3I would read it!!!