Superpowers: Malum

Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This story takes a different route into the world of superheroes and super villains, by telling it from the villain's point of view.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

Viridi

When he woke up, he thought that he had been captured. Then, after looking at the posters on the walls, he knew that he wasn't in captivity. He thought that all of the posters were strange. All the peoples' features didn't match up. For example, one girl had black hair and blue eyes. She was barely even dressed. What was that all about?
Unfortunately, that wasn't the weirdest thing about the room. He recognized it because of his father's descriptions from the stories of the time before, on War. It was one of the Givers' many advanced technologies. With these devices, they did everything from speaking the native language, to giving the People their powers. Cautiously, the Boy walked up and touched the television screen. Nothing happened. Then, he tried speaking to it like they did. Again, nothing happened.
He sighed. Now he thought that he might as well figure out what was going on. As quietly as he could, he stuck his neck outside. When he did, he saw a girl with long blonde hair, and blue eyes, typing away on a computer. He saw something hanging on the wall, in the pink room across from his. Love, that must have been her name. Without noticing it, the Boy said it out loud.
At the mention of her name, the Girl turned in his direction. When she saw that he was finally awake, she smiled, and momentarily went back to typing. Love waved him over, and reluctantly the Boy listened. After pointing at the screen, she typed something into the box and pressed enter. The Boy was taken slightly aback when he saw the language of the Givers in the other box. It was a question. A simple one at that. "What's your name?" to be exact. She picked up the computer and placed it in front of him. Slowly, he typed out his answer.
At seeing his reply, Love gave a satisfactory "Hmph". His name was Viridi. It was Latin for Green. It was a long day for her, and she was tired. She checked the time on the bottom of the screen, and it was getting really late. She explained to Viridi that she was going to bed, but he was welcome to use the computer to answer any questions he wanted, maybe even learn a little more English, and that's just what he did.
In the morning, Love found the Boy still sitting in the same spot, typing away on the computer. Something seemed a little strange, and she figured it out relatively quick. Last night, Viridi was hunting and pecking on the keyboard, but now he must have been typing at close to one hundred words per minute.
"Bonum mane." She greeted him "Good morning" in Latin.
"Good morning to you, as well." He replied without even a trace of an accent.
Love thought that it was safe to speak since he just learned his first English words only eight hours ago. "How much did you learn last night?"
Viridi stood up, and closed the computer. "I believe that I'm pretty much fluent by now. Also, I made a bit of money in the stock market while you were sleeping, I hope that you don't mind."
Obviously, Love was surprised. "How much did you make?"
"Five hundred thousand American dollars. Is that good? By the way, what would you like for breakfast?" Before the Boy could finish his final question, the Girl dropped to the floor, out cold.

AnInklingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think that your plot seems very interesting (as I have just finished the first chapter), but it would be nice to have more description take place between actions. Instead of telling us that Love "did know why she was at the party" or "she went to the roof", it would be nice to see some description of her walking and the setting around the place. Other than that, I would say that the story seems a little bit jumpy and rushed in the writing. But I think that plot could be ver... (more »)

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:22 am:
Hey, EJ! It was a good story. Um, to give constructive criticism, I thought the beginning was a little unrealistic. Why would Love be so quick to act? I mean, if you saw a seventeen year old from another planet land on your roof, what would you do? I also thought it wasn't realistic because Josh let him in so easily. I didn't get the impression that he was the kind of guy who let his girlfriend take home an alien boy. And why did Josh have super powers but Love didn't? How did he get... (more »)

None0 said...
Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:00 am:
I will give this novel the same suggestion I gave your other novel. However, there's another angle this novel needs work on, and that would be scene description. After reading through some of the chapters, I only found that the characters' thoughts were well conveyed. The scenes themselves were a bit sketchy, with only vague descriptions, and not much interaction.   I'd also comment on the content, but I'm getting a bit tired now. So I'll just say, good luck on your ... (more »)

applesauceHater said...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 1:35 am:
this story was so cute and quirky with awesome fight scenes! then the ending was sad:(great story though!!!

Labtopnerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:59 am :
Thanks! I was thinking about continuing the story from Typhoon's point of view. Sorry about the ending, but villains only rise from tragedy, so there had to be one.

applesauceHater replied...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm :
You should:3I would read it!!!