Caravan camp fire stories | Teen Ink

Caravan camp fire stories

By mjd11452 BRONZE, orlando, Florida
mjd11452 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

Author's note: I was inspired by a history project that turned from a project into somthing much more.

This was my first real attmempt at writing a long story like this.

Caravan Campfire Stories

Hello, my name is Michael come and join us around the fire I will tell you a very long story of a very long journey.

Sitting around the campfire at a beautiful oasis we all ate and talked about the day's gone past. We have been traveling from Marrakech to the Kingdom of Ghana to trade. From the darkness we heard a camel and a voice “Hello there”.

“Hello stranger, someone with such fair skin shouldn't be traveling in the desert alone”. I said as I helped him off the camel.

“Quick someone bring some water , here, drink this while my friend takes your smelly, bad tempered camel and puts him with the rest of the animals.” I said to the stranger.

“Thank you very much a sandstorm came up with no warning and I got separated from my caravan, where are you heading?” the stranger asked.

“We are heading to the Kingdom of Ghana, you can travel with us and once we get there we will see if we can reunite you with your caravan. Now enough small talk come and join us for a meal and some stories” I said.

After a delicious meal of tajine ( a clay pot filled with chicken, beef, goat's meat and veggies stewed over a charcoal fire for about an hour. A very early version of Dutch oven cooking) and some hot mint tea. We all settled in around the fire to talk and share stories. Our stranger's name is Kamel, he is a long way from home, he lives in Cairo and was traveling with his caravan to Ghana it has taken many months but he thinks it will be worth it when he gets his goods to the marketplace.

Our story begins in the city of Marrakech one evening as my family sat down for supper there was a knock at the door when I answered it there were soldiers at my door, at MY DOOR! I have never made a bad deal, or overcharged anyone, why are they at my door.

“Yes? Can I help you?” I asked very cautiously.

“You and your wife Dariq need to come with us now, Tashfin needs to see you. “The really big and intimidating soldier barked at me.

“Michael, we must go with them if my cousin sent them to get us it must be very important.” Dariq said quietly.

Her cousin Yusuf ibn Tashfin was a general who expanded the empire across the Atlas Mountains all the way to the Mediterranean including Fez, Tangier, and Algiers. Tashfin made Marrakech the capital of his empire, he is a man who can organize and maintain the loyalty of even the desert warriors. When we arrived at his home he looked like he had some bad news to share with us he hugged Dariq and asked her to sit down. My first wife Dariq is the daughter of a very wealthy trader, he was on his way back from trading in the east in the kingdom of Kush and his caravan was attacked and all were killed.

“Michael, she was his only child. You have now inherited yourself 1700 camels if you want them. Kishmir had planned on taking a caravan south to Ghana, Mali and Songhai. I will care for your family here you take the camels and the goods and trade them in the south there is a lot of money to be made if you are willing to take the trip.” Tashfin said

I can't complain I used to have 300 camels I now have 2000, I no longer have to trade in the marketplace now I can take my goods to trade in other markets and make money. After our good-byes we headed south. We passed through Sijilmasa and picked up the road to Aoudaghost about 17 weeks ago we still have 1 more week of traveling before we get there. My camels are loaded down with handmade goods from Morocco, tools, copper and semi precious gems, along with silk sand spices from the Far East. The days are very hot with nowhere to hide from the scorching sun, when looking off in the distance you can actually see the ripples of heat radiating off the sands. We have runners that go out ahead of the main caravan and collect water to bring back for us to drink when that part of the journey will take several days with no oasis.

After 18 weeks of traveling I can see Aoudaghost in the distance, it looks like a decent size town with a large mountain in the distance. As we enter the town there are small gardens with date palms, fig trees and vegetables growing in them. There are large plantations of henna and some wheat looks like it is grown here also. I decided to leave my handlers to unload the camels and I walked to the market. It was full of people and from the coins I saw them spending it looks like it is full of very wealthy people not a silver coin to be seen only gold. Listening to everyone talk I think they are mostly from Tunisia and I hear some that sound and look like they are from other countries. A woman brushed past me like I wasn't even there and following behind her were 12 slaves all carrying arm loads of goods she had purchased.

I found a small empty space against a wall and set up my shop, the heat of the day brought all of the pungent spices to life and many people stopped to admire and purchase from me. By the end of the afternoon my sachet was overflowing with gold coins. I decided to let my friend Bakri pack up our goods while I went to explore and see what kind of deals I could find. I stopped for a snack of some of the most delicious cucumbers I have ever tasted and a cup of tea after talking to the vendor I was told to go see Amir he was the one to broker a deal for henna, salt and honey. I passed a large stone cathedral mosque and I have seen many smaller mosques throughout the town. The homes here are well built there are many courtyard style homes which offer privacy to its owners.

Two days later the camels were loaded down again and we were on our way south to Koumbi Saleh the capital of the kingdom of Ghana. Amir said with lightly loaded camels the trip can be made to the market in Ghana in 10 days but most likely it would take us closer to two weeks. We didn't have to worry about being robbed on our way to Koumbi Saleh because the kingdom of Ghana is rumored to have had over 200,000 soldiers that kept the routes safe to travel, for a fee. Amir told me that if I wanted to trade in Ghana then I would have to pay an import/export tax when I got there.

After almost two weeks traveling I am looking forward to getting off this camel and walking around. The capital of Ghana was actually two cities that were six miles away from each other, but as trade increased and people moved in the two cities eventually met somewhere in the middle. One side of the city is called El Ghaba, the royal palace and the wealthy people lived here and it was the spiritual center. It is rumored that there is a sacred grove of trees there used for ceremonies. The other side of town is the business center and marketplace which is where we needed to go, Islam is the main religion on this side of town, and so far I have counted a dozen mosques just around the market. They mainly follow the Sunni path of Islam which is a belief that Islam governs all aspects of life. But here it was nothing like the stories we hear of religious control in Arabia.

The market was huge and loud people talking over each other and advertising theirs as the best prices. There were beautiful fabrics everywhere. They take dyed fabric and used mud to make designs on it then lay it in the sun to bake. There were farmers selling sweet potatoes and fresh fruit, some people sold fresh fish and others had water birds for sale. I did learn that gold coins and nuggets are not used here only gold dust is used as payment. I set up my goods to trade salt, henna, exotic spices and beautiful silks; I should do very well here. Before we leave I need to trade for ivory, leather, kola nuts and some copper alloys.

Kamel is still with us he has gone out to see if he can find any news about his caravan. He is a very nice guy but that camel he rides has got to have the worst personality I have ever encountered. Almost all of my camels are very laid back and relaxed and smell well like camels. His is mean and nasty and tries to spit on anyone that may get too close, and the smell! WOW! Let me tell you if his caravan is near they will smell the camel before they see Kamel. I can only wonder if Kamel had suffered an injury to his nose and maybe can't smell that wretched beast.

Amir told me to seek out his brother in law Akosh; he can help me find the best people to trade with here. It has taken me several hours of wandering through the poorer sections of town before I found his home. His home was very well built and showed that he had some wealth. I knocked on the door and a young woman answered it “I am looking for Akosh, is he here?” the girl said nothing but nodded and closed the door for a moment.

“Yes, can I help you?” A voice asked as the door opened again.

“I am looking for Akosh, brother in law to Amir in Aoudaghost. Do I have the right home?” I asked cautiously.

“I am Akosh, who are you?” he asked as he stepped into the doorway.

“I am a friend of Amir; he said you could help me find some good deals here in the market.” I said as I smiled

“We were just getting ready to leave, join us and we will talk.” Akosh offered.

He gathered up his eight children and three wives and we all headed towards the market. He stopped at a vendor who was selling fresh fruit and purchased a piece for everyone. The children with sticky hands and faces chattered as we all walked.

“We are going to the Griot I hope he tells Anansai the Spider tonight! I love stories do you like stories? Do you have any kids? Where are you from? Your clothes are different.” on and on and on the little boy went and after his father told him he was being rude I realized I still didn't know the child's name.

We arrived at a large mosque and out in front of the mosques was a large square and people had begun to arrive laying blankets down on the ground to sit on. I realized we are going to school, not school like you're thinking but this Griot is a teacher and they are responsible for telling stories and passing down traditions. After the stories it was well into the evening and the heat was radiating back into the air offering no relief. Akosh's wives had taken the children back home and he and I sat sipping at a spicy tea that had a hint of dates in it.

“Who answered the door when I first came to your home?” I asked just curious why she didn't join us this evening.

“She is a slave I purchased her a few years ago I have several. I don't think very much of the whole practice but since I am fairly wealthy it is expected of me to own a few. I will tell you though I refuse to do business with anyone who works in the slave trade.” He said very firmly as he looked at me through dark eyes under even darker eyebrows.

“Don’t look at me Akosh, I would rather deal in items that don't require much care or attention” I said.

He smiled and the tension lifted away as we fell into conversation he asked all about Amir and his family and any stories or news I had from Marrakech. The hours slid by until it had to be close to midnight and the heat had finally dissipated. It was Friday and Akosh told me there was a mosque here that was only for Friday prayers, we agreed to meet in the morning after prayers. So I could acquire all that I needed and Akosh said he would provide me with some guards, he had insisted since he knew I had a decent amount of gold and gemstones with me.

I had just finished my morning prayers and walked out of the beautiful mosque, Akosh walked up and waved to me. He had a huge smile on his face and was like a little kid when he approached.

“I have a great surprise for you. Come with me hurry we can't be late!” He urged me through the people beginning to fill the market.

As we left the market side of town he led me down the roads towards the El Ghaba section of the city. We were walking along the front of the royal palace. When he turned onto a path that led to what looked like the front door. I looked at him with a confused look and he just smiled. We got to the guards at the front of the palace and the stepped to the side and opened the door for us. We were led through a massive hallway into a room decorated with luxurious rugs, gold and ivory statues and hidden in plain sight were servants with trays of food and drink. Our escort motioned for us to make ourselves comfortable and then the trays were brought to us filled with food and drinks for us to enjoy. We admired the room and the choices of delicacies until the door opened and a man decorated almost as mush as the room was entered we quickly got to our feet and bowed I realized this was Ghana Tunka Manin. I had heard rumors that he decorated himself with gold, ivory and precious gems, I thought it were all stories but apparently not.

“Come sit, enjoy. I hear you are from Marrakech, my sister and her family live there and I would love to hear about it I have never been there myself but she is happy so I decided not to conquer it” He sat for a moment and then broke into laughter.

Allah be praised for this luck. The King! I am sitting with the King! I think the stories were more true then anyone realized, this guy is a little on the strange side. I thought as I forced myself to laugh at his attempt of humor.

“Sir, Michael here is a trader and has traveled far and wide. His father in law was killed earlier this year on his way back from Kush. I have heard that many of the gems and goods Michael brought to trade are very exotic and rare.” Akosh added

“Really, you don't say? Well Michael of Marrakech let us see these wonderful items!” Manin bellowed.

“To be honest I didn't know we were coming here and I didn't...” I heard the doors open and servants carrying armloads of my goods paraded in followed by a few of my men.

“I saw to it.” Akosh whispered as Manin ooed and ahhed over silks, spices, and gems.

“Sir, may I show you one of my wives favorite stones?” I asked.

“You there, go get my wives tell them I need their opinions.” Manin snapped his fingers and a young servant disappeared out the doors.

“I have nine wives you see and since it has been many weeks since they last tried to kill me I figure this would be a treat for them.” Silence... then he broke into another deep laugh.

Akosh and I just smiled carefully at him not knowing if he was serious or not.

A few minutes later nine women came in and without even glancing at Manin they all began to look over the goods. After many hours of exotic food, expensive drinks and many thousands of gold coins later, I was in shock. I didn't even count how much I was given but it was several large sacks of gold and precious stones. I insisted Akosh take a portion of the large fortune I was given. As Manin left us to gather my goods and leave his palace I noticed he did have a way about him an almost magical feel and I could see at that moment that he was a good leader and people were prospering under his rule.

“Well my friend you are well guarded for the rest of your trip, the men traveling with you will guard you until you are home and then they will join a caravan coming south again and make some money for themselves by guarding the traders. Safe journey!” Akosh said as we parted ways.

It was still a few hours till the sunset so my caravan turned east and headed towards the legendary city of Timbuktu. We decided even though we had guards it still wasn't a good idea to travel at night so we made camp and pitched our tents. A nice meal of fresh meat and rice, a cup of an unusual tea given to me by one of Manin's wives and some fresh fruit. We all settled in and slept until an hour before dawn when a certain smelly camel with a bad attitude managed to wander into camp and spit on several unsuspecting people. I still think I should have traded that beast for a blanket. With several grumpy men with some creative ideas of what we could do with grumpy the camel we all packed up and had a quick meal of fruit and tea and got moving again. 450 miles to go this leg of our trip was going to take us about a month to travel at this moment I was very thankful to have so many camels and so many armed guards with us.

Kamel is acting kind of strange today, I know there was no information about his caravan and his camel seems to be in an even worse mood today than he was yesterday which I really didn't think was possible.

After a week of traveling I see a large shadow on the horizon I hope whoever it is is friendly. It has been a quiet trip so far and with all of the gold we have with us I am more nervous then I have been this entire journey. I figure they are about 2 hours away it is time for everyone to stay alert.

It was closer to three hours before we met up with the other group. After friendly greetings we each move on their caravan is much smaller and very lightly loaded so they are much faster then we are. Kamel has seemed to fall back towards the end of our group, I wonder if it is so nobody is downwind of him. I look forward to making camp tonight; it has been a very long, hot day. There is a small town we will pass through tomorrow and we can get fresh water and food there. I must remember to have Kamel's camel secured tonight.

We decided to stop about an hour before sunset to set up camp tents are pitched and a fire is already going. I can smell supper cooking; it will be nice to relax this evening. After our meal we all agreed to get up early and get moving. Everyone has settled in for the night and I have five men standing watch. The camels seem restless tonight and there is no moon for light only the glow from the fire. With a big stretch and a yawn I lay back and drift off to sleep.

I awake sometime in the middle of the night to screaming men and camels! I grab my scimitar and race towards the commotion. There are three guards dead on the sand; everyone is coming to find out what is going on. I don't think we are being robbed and I don't see anyone that doesn't belong.

“What is going on here?” I demanded.

One of the guards who had been on duty staggered over holding the back of his head.

“It was Kamel! He knocked Mustaffa out and then came after me. There were a few other people but I didn't see any of them I just heard him giving orders to them. Sir they took five of the camels and all they could carry.” Emir groaned

“ Well we need to get everything together here one group will load the camels down and move on to the next oasis it is only a few hours from here. The rest of us are going after our good friend Kamel and we are going to get our camels and goods back!” I said.

An hour later the caravan was moving as fast as they could towards the east and I was moving to the north with ten armed men following Kamel and his smelly camel. It didn't take more then an hour to figure out they were too loaded down and not making a quick get away. Within another hour we saw them in the distance as they were just about to go over the top of a large sand dune. That was a bad move they wouldn't be able to see us as we moved off to the northeast towards flatter ground which enabled us to move faster then we could going over the loose sand. It only took another thirty minutes until we could see them struggling in the loose sand between dunes. This was the moment I was waiting for. With one swift move we all drew our scimitars and a cry from me our camels were running as fast as they could bearing down on some very surprised and horrified thieves. Kamel took off on his camel in the opposite direction figuring that he could get away and leave his friends to take the blame.

“GET THEM! Kamel is MINE!” I yelled as I closed the distance between me and his smelly camel.

“KAMEL! STOP AND I MAY SHOW YOU MERCY!” I screamed at him as I got close.

His camel slowed to a trot as I came along side Kamel put his hands up in the air showing he had no weapons. I grabbed the reins and turned his camel around walking it back to the rest of the group of thieves. My men had very quickly subdued them and recovered everything.

“So this is why you were in the desert all alone you figured get in with a caravan and when the time was right you could steal from me!” I said in a low dangerous whisper

“Yes, I have been doing it for years and I happened to overhear someone in the market taking about your good fortune. You inheriting all of this and planning to take the caravan south. I had been separated from my companions here and had to wait until we crossed paths.” He said with a smirk on his face.

“Well I did say I would show you mercy. And I have recovered everything you stole, so we will not kill you. Round up the camels and make sure they each have a skin of water.” I ordered.

“WHAT! You can't take our camels we are too far from any town to walk to. We will die out here!” Kamel screamed

“Like I said I won't kill you, I never said your companions or the desert wouldn't.” I smirked right back at him as he stood there in shock.

“If I were you I would head east you may make the oasis before you run out of water. But mark my words if our paths ever cross again I can promise that you will meet the business end of my sword.” I growled as I signaled for us to leave them behind.

We left them yelling behind us something about revenge and I'd be sorry. I really hoped they went west because as soon as we got to the next town I was going to make sure I told whoever is in charge and to keep an eye out for them. Plus I am going to sell or give away this beast.

Several hours later we caught up to the main group and passed into the oasis. It was a small town set up as a stop-over for caravans just like mine, a man greeted us and I told him what had happened and he immediately sent for the local guards as we were still within the area controlled by King Manin. The man signaled for his servants to help my men water and unload the camels and where we could set up our camp and cook our meal. I sent Bakri and a few of the young men we had with us to the market to get some fresh meat and fruit for our evening meal. After a delicious meal and a good night’s sleep I was ready to pack the camels and get moving again I wanted to make sure we stayed ahead of Kamel if they had actually decided to come this way and didn't die in the desert. Before we left I gave the man's eldest son Kamel's smelly camel.

After talking to Bakir I decided that I am going to make a little side trip to Djenne in the Mali Kingdom to the Great Mosque of Djenne it is about 1000 miles south of us but I found out I can travel down the Niger river and back from Timbuktu this may be the only chance I have to see it.

The trip to Timbuktu in the Songhai kingdom was uneventful, small towns sprung up on just about every oasis we passed which gave us the chance to replenish our supplies frequently. After a month traveling we final spotted the legendary city of Timbuktu. I have heard stories about how scholars have traveled many months some from as far away as Persia to study and teach here. Because of the salt mines in Taudenni which is about 500 miles north of Timbuktu the people living in the city have become very wealthy.

I am looking forward to checking out Sankore University, I will not tell you I am a very educated man but I would like to think I am fairly intelligent. I cannot wait to get set up there and see if my father in law was really as smart as he thought he was, I have four camels loaded down with as many books as they can carry. Supposedly, people here actually collect books in private libraries; I guess when you are rich and live in a city that has become a center for Islamic learning that books are as important to people as food and salt. Like I was saying there is a University and 180 Quranic schools in the city, children can be seen walking with a wooden tablet in hand on their way to school. Scholars come here to study religion, mathematics, music, law and literature there are so many different people here some are from places very far away but everything seems so peaceful here. Maybe we will take a few days here and see what we can learn.

Bakir will oversee the set up of camp and unloading of the camels. I am going to go walk through the city. There are judges, doctors and clerics that are well paid by the King just for the knowledge they have. I stopped in at the University and Mosque to see the local scholars writing, there were artisans who were decorating and binding these works. The city produces their own books, beautifully decorated books. The bells are ringing calling everyone to evening prayer I should go, I will tell you a secret I have not been so prayerful since I left home.

It is said when you go into the desert you are entering the realm of the spirit. It is kind of scary to go out into the desert; even though I do not travel alone there is an isolation that you feel. There is nothing but the shifting sands and Allah. Our tracker Salem is close to fifty years old and he has been leading caravans through the desert since he was seventeen years old. He has the ability to read the desert and know exactly where we are, we all trust him with our lives because if he is off by even a mile we can all die. He has a knowledge that he learned from his father on how to read the wind patterns and changing color on the sand, and the stars in the night sky.

We have several young men with us and this is their first time out in the desert I think we will lose a few here to Timbuktu, they just don't seem content to travel, I have seen them looking at the books we have brought with us. Every person must choose their own path in life, and I am the last one who would tell them no they couldn't stay here in the wonderful city. The journey across the desert from Timbuktu to Taudenni and back is thought of as a sacred journey or a pilgrimage for a young man from Timbuktu and a way for them to get closer to Allah. So I doubt we will have any trouble replacing the ones who stay.

While I was walking though the market I over head someone say that Ibn Battuta had arrived a few days ago and had some outrageous stories to tell about his time spent in the capital of Mali. I have to meet him and hear some of these stories. I went back to the University and asked around until someone pointed Ibn out as he sat reading in the shade under a tree.
“Mr. Battuta?” I asked very quietly

A snoring sound?

“Mr. Battuta? I asked again as I gently tapped his shoulder.

“Wha? Huh? Who are you?” He asked as he looked around to see if anyone else noticed he had dozed off.

“I am sorry I didn't mean to disturb you. My name is Michael and I heard you had recently arrived in the city and had some stories about your travels.” I apologized.

“What? Oh my travels, yes it has been an interesting trip. Come let us get some tea and find some better shade and I will tell you.” He said as I helped him to his feet and followed him back towards the market.

A while later we were sitting on beautifully dyed rugs under a group of date \palms that offered some good shade and a hot breeze blew in off the desert sands just outside of the city.

“How long have you been traveling?” he asked

“Oh I have been traveling for a few months I am with a caravan from Marrakech.” I said

“I would love to hear some of your stories, sir.” I asked almost pleading with him

“Very well he said I left Morocco many months ago and traveled south from Sijilmasa to Oualata from there I followed what I thought was the Nile river. Boy was I wrong I was expecting Egypt and I ended up in the Niani the capital of the glorious Mali Empire. I was given an introduction to the king, Mansa Suleiman. Don't look so excite he was a cheap miser who offered little hospitality to me or anyone else. I stayed for eight months mainly because I had nowhere else I had to be at the time. I finally had enough and I couldn't deal with the female slaves, servants and his many, many daughters. The sultan allowed the women to walk around totally naked I would have thought he would have been a little less tolerant with guests in the palace but nope. So I left there and headed here, I hope to be able to write a book when I finally get back to Morocco about all I have seen and experienced on this journey. I may even put in there about following the wrong river.” He said as we both laughed.

“Wow that sounds like an adventure. After here I am going down the river to Djenne and then come back here and start the journey home I have to stop in Taudenni for salt and then it is on to Marrakech. I miss my wives and children so very much, by now they have moved into my father in law's home he was killed many months ago. I guess I won't have to worry about extra rooms and space for the children. His home is huge in comparison to mine. I just hope my wives haven't redecorated me into the poor house while I have been gone. Thank You so very much for sharing your story with me it is getting late and I must get back before my friend comes looking for me. Safe Journey” I said as I got up and folded the blanket.

“Safe journey to you too my friend and I will stop by and meet your family when I pass through Marrakech” Ibn said as he and I parted company.

As I returned to where my traveling companions had set up for the evening. The look on Bakir's face reminded me of his wife.

“Where have you been? We have been looking for you all day!” He scolded

“Why dear I missed you too. Did you have a good day at the market?” I teased

“Supper was kept hot for you and there is water for tea next to the fire.” He said realizing how much he sounded like his screeching wife.

I now understand why he offered to go with me. She had a very high pitched squeaky voice already and when she was mad look out, stick your fingers in your ears and run the other way. I swear you could hear her half way to Morocco if the winds were blowing the right way.

Bakir informed me that we sold every book we had brought with us and even acquired a few to take with us. All of our spices, silks and copper were sold too. He said that once he set out all our wares he almost had to beat people off with a stick, they were all over everything. He bought some presents for his wife and daughter and I have two camels ready to load down with presents for my family. I think I am going to head north and stop at the salt mines and continue on to home. Salem says it should take us close to two months to finish the last part of the trip.

After taking a day to walk through the market and to talk to some of the local scholars I realized how much I really didn't know. My decision to come down to Djenne was worth it. I got to meet Sultan Kunburu according to him he became a Muslim and had his palace torn down and a Mosque built on the site. He than had another palace built to the east of the mosque. It is supposedly the largest adobe or mud brick building in the world. Thousands of students come to study the Qur'an here. I got to pray in the mosque and talk with many of the students. I traded in Timbuktu for copper, firearms and European cloth it is desired by everyone here in Djenne. I am going back to Timbuktu with eight canoes loaded with cotton, barley and rice.

Once we arrived in Timbuktu I quickly had the canoes unloaded and the goods loaded on my camels. We have to get moving again before my wives start to think I am never coming home. That evening I was approached by four of the young men that were traveling with us. They asked if they could stay here to study, I assured them I would take word back to their parents about the choice to stay. With a firm hand shake and many thank you's they took their sacks and went into the city to find a place to stay. I returned to the caravan and Bakir had overseen the loading of the camels and the preparation of our evening meal. He had even gone to the University in search of a few young men to replace the four that are staying.

“Everything is ready to go in the morning after breakfast.” Bakir said as he strolled past on his way to his tent.

“Thank you my friend.” I replied.

Up and on our way shortly after sunrise I wanted to get as far as we can before it gets too hot. We sent runners ahead two days ago to the next oasis for water they should meet us on our second day out. Salem informed me this is a four day trek of nothing and we needed to make sure by day two we had fresh water. It is about 500 miles north to the salt mines we should be able to travel it in two weeks.

Two and a half weeks later we arrived at the Taudenni salt mines. The mine is cut right out of the ancient ocean floor; several hundred slaves dug and chip away at the earth in dusty salt choked caves. We all stare in wonder at this; it is by Allah's hand that we have this precious gift. As I watch the salt is cut from the earth in slabs and then final fifteen camels are loaded and we bid farewell to the young men who traveled with us from Timbuktu they will travel home with another caravan. It is time to leave I find this place very depressing the homes and even the mosque everything is built from rock salt and have camel skin roofs. There is not one tree anywhere just salt and sand. Even the water has salt in it I told my men not to drink it I had Bakir load extra water at the last oasis after I learned that the water here is full of salt.

We still have about six hundred miles to travel before we arrive in Sijilmasa where I will leave Bakir to take the caravan on to Morocco to sell our goods and I will head for Marrakech to my family. The guards who are traveling with us are being extra cautious since Kamel's attempt to lighten our load. I am very thankful to Akosh for sending them with us before the men head south again I will have to make sure I get a very unique gift for them to take back to Akosh for me. I think I will let the camels graze and fatten up again and send another caravan south this time without me. I think I could get used to being an owner and overseeing everything. I would like to bring my family south to meet Amir and Akosh and their families. Maybe in a few years when the children are older we just might take that trip.

After being gone many months I arrived at my new home. My children came running out to greet me as they flung themselves into my arms and very quickly changed the subject of what did I bring them. My beautiful wives were almost as fast out the door to greet me two young men came and took my camels around the side of the house to be unloaded and cared for. Leading everyone into the house I joined them for the afternoon meal and looked forward to exploring the new house and also telling everyone all about my adventures on the Trans Saharan Highway.

As I sit and tell my wives and children all about my adventures with the caravan I tell them how the sand dunes warp the mind's perceptions, what appears to be close is actually on the horizon and what looks like it is miles away becomes a rock that is really only several feet away. I don't know if it is the heat or the fact there is no frame of reference but I do know now that the Sahara surrenders very few realities, it seems to only offer illusions…

Well thank you so very much for joining us around the fire for the story I hope you have such wonderful adventures in your future… Sweet Dreams…